It's pronounced Font, NOT Fontay

mcbendy

Radio Solent (Adam Blackmore) always say 'Fontay' and that's how I thought it was pronounced. They/he and me are wrong. I asked the Saints media team and they have confirmed that it is pronounced like 'want':

Jim Lucas ‏@JFBLucas 5m

@_Firebirding Fonte as in 'want'

This isn't new news, but no-one's going to tell the Northam to change the song lyrics!

It tends to be commentators who try and use the right pronounciation for every player's name, even if it does sound ridiculous. I heard Dany N'Guessen's first name pronounced like "Dhani" on the FL Show. Just say Danny! (Hashbrown# pethates)

Radio Solent (Adam Blackmore) always say 'Fontay' and that's how I thought it was pronounced. They/he and me are wrong. I asked the Saints media team and they have confirmed that it is pronounced like 'want':

Jim Lucas ‏@JFBLucas 5m

Is the e also silent in Pedant?

While we are at it, can everybody point out to the fans singing that moronic "we've got Pochettino, Pochettino" song that his name is pronounced "po-cke-tee-no".

If we are going to sing songs about our manager then the very least we can do is pronounce it properly.

While we are at it, can everybody point out to the fans singing that moronic "we've got Pochettino, Pochettino" song that his name is pronounced "po-cke-tee-no".

If we are going to sing songs about our manager then the very least we can do is pronounce it properly.

Are you sure? That's Italian and not Spanish, isn't it?

(Many Argentinians are of Italian descent).

Considering that half of the people on this forum don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" or "there", "they're" and "their" and constantly use "would of", "should of" and "could of", I feel that this is a wasted point.

Never give up.

I of been arguing how illogical there use has been for ages. ;)

If we're going to sign THAT song we could at least note that "this" is NOT what it's like to be Pompey, and that "signing" is not a regularly used term for the acquisition of managers. If we start with "tell us how it feels..." and "you've got Whittingham..." there may be a chance I'll join in.

Then again, to bring it full circle I was on a "Jose Fonte... hey Baby" strike for a couple of months due to the terrible cadence compared to the Human League original, so maybe I'm not the right person to question it?

Jim Lucas ‏@JFBLucas 5m

Blimey - have you been in some sort of cocoon for few years? I thought this had been established back in the L1 days!

At least that's closer than the guy next to me shouting 'Sort it out Pottechino!' last Saturday...

As indeed is entirely appropriate. 'Font' and 'Fontay' are in fact both incorrect. A closing unstressed 'e' in portuguese is actually pronounced 'eh' - a very soft shortened, very short and ALMOST silent sound (similar to French). Jose himself did point this out in one early interview - everyone looked blank so he said he didn't mind which people used.

As indeed is entirely appropriate. 'Font' and 'Fontay' are in fact both incorrect. A closing unstressed 'e' in portuguese is actually pronounced 'eh' - a very soft shortened, very short and ALMOST silent sound (similar to French). Jose himself did point this out in one early interview - everyone looked blank so he said he didn't mind which people used.

The public acknowledgement is always welcome.

'There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about'

(Oscar Wilde)

Considering that half of the people on this forum don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" or "there", "they're" and "their" and constantly use "would of", "should of" and "could of", I feel that this is a wasted point.

And don't get me started on apostrophe's FF'S