iTunes and kids in app purchases. HELP!

tony13579

I caught my friend downloading a free game for her son that had in app purchases priced up to £14.99! Ie bag of gold tokens etc.

We deleted the app but it appears he can now download it without the password now.

I tunes stays logged in for 15 min after Each download

Is there a way to de-register the credit card and use iTunes vouchers instead? Or would it default to the credit card if the voucher was exceeded?

I still cannot believe how fast she authorised a purchase for a 5 year old and then handed him back the iPad without checking the game content. But I guess if she did it hundreds of other parents do it too. (She is by no way stupid)

I am actually shocked at the way £500 iPads are in the hands of 5 & 11 year old I know even though the families are on tight budgets. I wasn't even allowed a radio until I was 14.

I

It's true, the app can still be downloaded without the password - it's quite a good feature that makes the App store a little easier to use.

However, once downloaded the app would still require a password to authorise any in-game purchases, so as long as the 5 year old doesn't know the password then all will be good.

Settings/general/restrictions/require password Change it to immediately instead of 15 mins. Every time you try to buy something on iTunes or the App Store you will need the password. You can also turn off in app purchases as well.

This.

My son managed around £500 worth when it was linked to his mum's account, all of which we got back from Apple. Now it's linked to my account with restrictions in place and in app purchases turned off.

Before I start, I should declare my interest in this. I have openly said on here I work for a games company that makes free games, with optional in app purchases.

Clearly there are two sides to this.

I absolutely agree that some companies really lack any ethics around this. I have seen games designed for children offer bundles of game currency for up to £84.99. I think it was a playmobil game.

There are also games that use pretty immoral language, such as "if you don't buy this, you're pet will die". We is pretty disgusting.

I do also think parents need to take some responsibility too. We have been hammered in the press, Daily Mail, a few times over it. But in the example of this game, all items purchasable are displayed in £ not virtual currency - so the mothers claims she did not know she was spending money, for her child to keep playing, didn't really wash for me. I also would question anyone that simply keeps tapping away their password without thinking. We also are very careful that we do not advertise our games to children in anyway! although as we have started running tv ads, it can't be guaranteed kids won't see them.

My advice is mostly common sense. Keep an eye on what your kid is doing with the iPad. Do not let them see your password. Turn off in-app purchases in your settings. Also look at the games they want to download. In the App Store it tells you if a game has in app purchases available.

There is also a guide on the App Store for parents on best practice on how to avoid kids running up big bills. It should be said apple are surely pretty decent at giving parents their money back or settling when these issues do occur.

I really disagree with the 'freemium' business model for kids games. It's great for adults, but it's just asking for trouble where children are involved. I also think the use of virtual currencies in kids games is a little bit shady too.

There's some really great apps for kids out there, both entertains and educational. And iPads are great pieces of kit for the whole family. I just think people need to remember that they usually have their credit cards just a few clicks away - so like credit cards or anything to do with your money you should take care.

Sorry, rant over.

Our 10 year old made some in app purchases once. He won't be doing it again. We just sat him down and told him that all games which had in app purchases were run by criminals who were only interested in exploiting him and his parents. It's only a small step from there to heroin at the school gate. Anyway, we had him in tears and he hasn't done it since in over a year.

Our 10 year old made some in app purchases once. He won't be doing it again. We just sat him down and told him that all games which had in app purchases were run by criminals who were only interested in exploiting him and his parents. It's only a small step from there to heroin at the school gate. Anyway, we had him in tears and he hasn't done it since in over a year.

Oi!

Didn't know about all this credit card business, but have only given the kids vouchers. Bought a cheapo ($70) tablet from KMart for the 3 year old and he loves all the painting / quiz games, it does all a little kid needs, in fact, apart from the screen resolution, I can't see why you'd need to get an i-Whatever anyway. It's basically a big android phone, without the calls and texts. If they're not available in the UK, I'll buy a few here in Oz and sell them in the pub for GBP100.

Any Takers?

Even the highest spec i-Thing has only got a usage life of 2-3 years as Apple will continue to generate demand for iOS99, which sadly is so fantastic, it can't run iOS98. So, kids, if you want to use the new in brain transluceny app, you better upgrade the hardware.

My iPhone 3gs is 3.5 years old still happy. It has still got a working battery. It's running its 3rd? iOS it costs me £10 a month pay and go,which I can't use so I text the spare credit to the Air Ambulance etc

It has been dropped, had a full glass of wine poured over it, been gloss paint splattered and cleaned with meths been to about 20 countries including Greenland & Barbados