Players Smoking - Your Thoughts?

Batman

the recent pictures of Wilshere smoking has raised some sort of debate.

do you think it is acceptable for a player to have the odd ciggy who is at the very top end of his game who is paid millions of ££££ to train to be at the very peak condition as possible

what would you think if you saw one of our players today having a ciggy on a night out in Southampton? Would you not care? would you be disappointed?

personally, I think Jack (and any professional player) should stay well away. Smoking does not give you anything really and for the sums of money they get, its almost a no brainer not to smoke.

also, Wilshere tweeting images of Zidane smoking was a tad odd. When Jack becomes one of the greatest of all time, then he may compare

Remember Hassan Kashloul saying when he first came to England that he was shocked of the way certain footballeurs here went about their Life here. Also said that certain saints Players at the Time were smoking too.

Personally think footballeurs should well stay away from it because it affects endurance.

They can smoke all they want after their carreer.

also, Wilshere tweeting images of Zidane smoking was a tad odd. When Jack becomes one of the greatest of all time, then he may compare

but he became one of the greatest of all even with smoking...so does it matter that much?

Personally I don't care if our player smoke, drink, eat ****...as long as they perform to their abilities.

It is not unusual for Italian players to smoke when not on a match day,part of the culture of the 2nd largest smoking country in Europe.

They think it far worse that our players drink beer on non training days,or in the evening after weekend matches.

So I think it is more about how you grow up and the culture of that country.

but he became one of the greatest of all even with smoking...so does it matter that much?

Personally I don't care if our player smoke, drink, eat ****...as long as they perform to their abilities.

Well you wouldn't say Wilshire has performed to his potential this season would you?

Wilshere is no Zidane, and never will be. I think he should listen to his manager and not start trying to defend himself. He gets paid that much a week to work hard on the training ground and give his best in matches. He needs to be in the best shape possible and that includes not smoking or abusing your body/health in any other way. Many people would happily swap positions with him.

The other prime example of a top player smoking was Socrates, the Brazilian captain from the late 70's/early 80's, who smoked anywhere between 40 & 60 a day depending on who reports it. That said, he came from a game which in general is not as fast as the game in this country is now.

As an athlete, players should be trying to maximise their potential in what is a relatively short playing career. Sadly, footballers seem to be happy taking the multi-million pound contracts without making the sacrifices they should do. Smoking is one of those sacrifices (as should drinking).

The other prime example of a top player smoking was Socrates, the Brazilian captain from the late 70's/early 80's, who smoked anywhere between 40 & 60 a day depending on who reports it. That said, he came from a game which in general is not as fast as the game in this country is now.

As an athlete, players should be trying to maximise their potential in what is a relatively short playing career. Sadly, footballers seem to be happy taking the multi-million pound contracts without making the sacrifices they should do. Smoking is one of those sacrifices (as should drinking).

Great player but might he have been even better without the fag?

In the end the booze finished him off at 57 before the weed could.

Saw Claus smoking in Jaks plenty of times

Which just goes to prove that smoking inhibits a player from fulfilling his potential. I know there is a lot of love for Claus, but he really wasn't that good when Killer wasn't there to look after him.

Their business in my opinion. Smoking won't effect their performance in their younger years, it will catch up with them later in life though though. Socrates (Brazil) & Cruyff (Holland) two great footballing smokers.

the recent pictures of Wilshere smoking has raised some sort of debate.

do you think it is acceptable for a player to have the odd ciggy who is at the very top end of his game who is paid millions of ££££ to train to be at the very peak condition as possible

what would you think if you saw one of our players today having a ciggy on a night out in Southampton? Would you not care? would you be disappointed?

personally, I think Jack (and any professional player) should stay well away. Smoking does not give you anything really and for the sums of money they get, its almost a no brainer not to smoke.

For me it's more about the message he is sending. He has been blessed with this amazing talent and imo he should do everything possible to be the best he can be. Smoking just sort of gives out a message that he does t really care which is depressing.

I had to do a medical to play competitive footie, and one of the tests was lung capacity: "I can see you don't smoke" said the doctor, looking at the results. I might not last 90 minutes (although I had to last season) but I wouldn't be playing at all if I'd ever smoked.

Probably drink a bit too much though, but then I pay to play!

They won't if they do this. Anyone who knows anything about nutrition and fitness will tell you diet is key to everything. Footballers get paid a fortune these days and they'll always counter that by saying its a short career, well in that case they've got plenty of time to smoke, drink and eat mcdonalds when its over.

You'd have to question the dedication of any professional athlete who smokes. There's a strong suggestion there of not really caring about keeping in prime condition. To me it says their heart's not really in it and that they lack a certain strength of character.

Going on about Zidane reminds me of people going on about Sheringham every time playing until you're in your late thirties is discussed. We mention these people because they stand out as unusual and don't represent how you should expect things to be.

For me it's more about the message he is sending. He has been blessed with this amazing talent and imo he should do everything possible to be the best he can be. Smoking just sort of gives out a message that he does t really care which is depressing.

Agreed. I eat absolute sh*t, but if I had half of his talent I would do everything in my power to get in top condition.

I had to do a medical to play competitive footie, and one of the tests was lung capacity: "I can see you don't smoke" said the doctor, looking at the results. I might not last 90 minutes (although I had to last season) but I wouldn't be playing at all if I'd ever smoked.

Probably drink a bit too much though, but then I pay to play!

This is an excellent comparison and very relevant.

We've become totally hysterical about smoking in Britain.

Sure, it's bad for you. But you'd think it's the health equivalent of eating weapons grade plutonium for the paranoia it generates.

Smoking an occasional cigarette is no more of a health risk than walking along a busy road and inhaling the fumes.

A regular habit isn't smart for an athlete - or anyone else - but if Wilshere smokes, say, 2 or 3 cigarettes a week, it's a matter of total trivia.

I think they should smoke a pipe....whilst playing, like in the old days.

I remeber during the twenties when you could avoid a yellow card if you offered the fouled player one of your woodbines.

And at half time players going into the opponents dressing room and having discussions on kierkegaard and wittgenstein over a brandy and a choice cigar.

'If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done.'

Edited by Secret Site Agent

They get paid according to their ability. If smoking lessens their ability then they will not be worth as much. It's their pay and their decision.

In other words, I don't care unless they are taking performance ENHANCING drugs rather than the opposite.