Standard of refs

Batman

Awful from Oliver. Ignored a foul on Bellerin there that was exactly the same as the soft penalty he gave in the first half.

Of course he was desperate to give the penalty to show what a wonderful advantage he had just played.

Rubbish "look at me" refereeing.

Awful from Oliver. Ignored a foul on Bellerin there that was exactly the same as the soft penalty he gave in the first half.

Of course he was desperate to give the penalty to show what a wonderful advantage he had just played.

Rubbish "look at me" refereeing.

What soft penalty? It was a blatant push. Oliver isn't one of those look at me refs and had a very good game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What soft penalty? It was a blatant push. Oliver isn't one of those look at me refs and had a very good game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was no more or less blatant than the one he ignored for Bournemouth's third goal but he wasn't trying to "big up" his own advantage at that point....

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

We were really poor yesterday. Pretty much awful.

However, I find it interesting that it was mentioned on commentary that we have never, ever won a game with Lee Probert in charge of a game. Not one.

Watching the match, I don't think there was one big thing he got wrong, but it was interesting that he gave virtually all of the 50/50 decisions in Hudderfeild's favour.

Other things that annoyed me included the time that Targett got after he'd played the ball forward to Redmond who was pretty much in the clear and then pulled the play back for a free kick. When Boufal was fouled a couple of times when trying to dribble through the middle of the park he played about a second of advantage (maybe less) then blew up for Boufal committing a really soft foul and gave them a free kick.

He's blatantly running things to the same game plan every time he's in charge of one of our games. The guy is an absolute joke.

We were really poor yesterday. Pretty much awful.

However, I find it interesting that it was mentioned on commentary that we have never, ever won a game with Lee Probert in charge of a game. Not one.

Watching the match, I don't think there was one big thing he got wrong, but it was interesting that he gave virtually all of the 50/50 decisions in Hudderfeild's favour.

Other things that annoyed me included the time that Targett got after he'd played the ball forward to Redmond who was pretty much in the clear and then pulled the play back for a free kick. When Boufal was fouled a couple of times when trying to dribble through the middle of the park he played about a second of advantage (maybe less) then blew up for Boufal committing a really soft foul and gave them a free kick.

He's blatantly running things to the same game plan every time he's in charge of one of our games. The guy is an absolute joke.

While I agree with pretty much all you've said there, I don't think our causes were helped much by Tadic continually going down like he had been shot. He needs to take challenges better and let the referee do his job, stop going over easy.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

/QUOTE]

He got one thing wrong though, in our favour to boot. Not sending Austin off on a straight red. Then again if he'd have been sent off when he should have been, Austin might not have injured himself, so that would favour us as well.

They were only 50/50 in your view, but we have to admit that we all have a biased view or we wouldn’t be here. There was nothing seriously wrong yesterday. He did miss one offside flag for which he held up his hands and apologised.

• 1 year later...

I don't get it at all. There were only 20 seconds left when Long went down injured. Where the hell did he find another 3 minutes from?

I would have been seething if they had scored in that added time. Would have been worse than Roger Milford in that cup game against Oldham all those years ago.

Did no one spot that he had a bite on the grief he was getting from the crowd in the Itchen Chapel corner, when he judged Armstrong to have committed the foul despite the Everton player climbing all over the back of him. Never seen a Ref stop and stare into the crowd before!!!!

Bad day at the office - which is a shame as today’s ref one is normally a steady Eddie.

I thought the performance of the referee Graham Scott today was very poor. Missed numerous fouls by the Everton mid I think it was Gueye which should have resulted in both bookings and a sending off. Allowing Everton to attack when Long was down bleeding on his head! Adding at least an extra 4 minutes on to what was already 4 mins for injury time! The standard of refereeing in the top flight had serious got to improve as it ain't no where upto standard. Only a couple of actually decent refs officiating atm in my opinion.

Did no one spot that he had a bite on the grief he was getting from the crowd in the Itchen Chapel corner, when he judged Armstrong to have committed the foul despite the Everton player climbing all over the back of him. Never seen a Ref stop and stare into the crowd before!!!!

Bad day at the office - which is a shame as today’s ref one is normally a steady Eddie.

He will get a three game ban and fined £20K from the Refs FA for that. I saw it clearly too.

I thought the performance of the referee Graham Scott today was very poor. Missed numerous fouls by the Everton mid I think it was Gueye which should have resulted in both bookings and a sending off. Allowing Everton to attack when Long was down bleeding on his head! Adding at least an extra 4 minutes on to what was already 4 mins for injury time! The standard of refereeing in the top flight had serious got to improve as it ain't no where upto standard. Only a couple of actually decent refs officiating atm in my opinion.

Thought if Valery's 2 bookings against Leicester were just then by the same standard Gueye should have been off.

Anyone else see that the ref went and fetched the ball for an Everton free kick deep in their half shortly before they scored? What have thought that that, the extra 4 mins stoppage time and playing on while there's a head injury were all fairly serious misdemeanors, he seemed to be willing Everton to score.

I think the ref completely lost it yesterday. Giving that foul against Armstrong in the corner was unbelievable. For a few seconds after that it looked like he was about to book the crowd for their reaction - but he let us off with a stern talking to - very unprofessional. Perhaps he should have booked himself for inciting the crowd.

Then letting the keeper take the free kick miles away from the incident, deep in injury time, was eerily reminiscent of Goodson Park debacle last season.

• 2 months later...
Couldn't really accuse Jon Moss of any Liverpool bias after he sent off one of his former school pupils - James Milner.

I thought Jon Moss was a pretty good ref yesterday. I slag them off when they get things wrong so praise us deserved when they have a good game.

Hughes was breathtakingly rude last season about Moss after the away game at Everton. It is nice to see that Moss bears no grudges against us.

I thought Jon Moss was a pretty good ref yesterday. I slag them off when they get things wrong so praise us deserved when they have a good game.

Hughes was breathtakingly rude last season about Moss after the away game at Everton. It is nice to see that Moss bears no grudges against us.

It still infuriates me this refereeing. Not only did he give a free kick that wasn't he then allowed the free kick to be taken in the wrong place. That could have cost us our place in the premier league.

It was a pretty easy game for him to manage, in that there were no silly theatrics, both sides went out to play football and he let boys be boys with a bit of rough and tumble and cheeky tugging. Stepped in when he needed to, some refs might have viewed that poor Wolves player getting Romeu’d a lot differently.

He ain’t getting any younger and he knows it by his positioning mainly in the middle of the pitch, but his experience papers over those cracks.

Can anyone explain to me what happened re: Mike Dean and his flip flop on the Cardiff penalty decision yesterday? Why did he change his mind? Did he misinterpret a flag or message from the lino and then simply clarify it? Still can't quite work out the chain of events/thought process.

Can anyone explain to me what happened re: Mike Dean and his flip flop on the Cardiff penalty decision yesterday? Why did he change his mind? Did he misinterpret a flag or message from the lino and then simply clarify it? Still can't quite work out the chain of events/thought process.

Gave a penalty. Consulted an official and rightly reversed the decision

It was a pretty easy game for him to manage, in that there were no silly theatrics, both sides went out to play football and he let boys be boys with a bit of rough and tumble and cheeky tugging. Stepped in when he needed to, some refs might have viewed that poor Wolves player getting Romeu’d a lot differently.

He ain’t getting any younger and he knows it by his positioning mainly in the middle of the pitch, but his experience papers over those cracks.

Moss does look overweight but it is worth remembering that all Premier League referees have to meet strict fitness levels and they are tested on them regularly.

Just to ask again on the Cardiff non-penalty.

Did the ref give the penalty because he was, say, about 75% certain it was a pen, but wanted a second opinion and then the lino talked him out of it or did he give the penalty because he thought the lino was signalling for one, went over to check this and the lino said "no, I got it wrong..." or "I was signalling for something else, sorry guv."

I'm struggling to remember any other occasion in which a referee has made a decision, sought further advice and then reversed it (other than VAR, obviously).

In my dim distant memory, I think there was some fiasco in the France v Kuwait match at the 1982 World Cup where the ref gave a goal, then over-turned it because the defending players claimed to have heard a whistle from the crowd and stropped, believing the ball to be dead.

At least Mike Dean ended up with the right decision, but I've never seen a correct decision reached through such a route (i.e. not by the referee simply consulting with his officials and then deciding on something, but rather deciding on something and only then consulting with his officials).

Did the ref give the penalty because he was, say, about 75% certain it was a pen, but wanted a second opinion and then the lino talked him out of it or did he give the penalty because he thought the lino was signalling for one, went over to check this and the lino said "no, I got it wrong..." or "I was signalling for something else, sorry guv."

I'm struggling to remember any other occasion in which a referee has made a decision, sought further advice and then reversed it (other than VAR, obviously).

In my dim distant memory, I think there was some fiasco in the France v Kuwait match at the 1982 World Cup where the ref gave a goal, then over-turned it because the defending players claimed to have heard a whistle from the crowd and stropped, believing the ball to be dead.

At least Mike Dean ended up with the right decision, but I've never seen a correct decision reached through such a route (i.e. not by the referee simply consulting with his officials and then deciding on something, but rather deciding on something and only then consulting with his officials).

Don't think anyone will have the first clue. Refs should be applauded for coming to the right decision.

Don't think anyone will have the first clue. Refs should be applauded for coming to the right decision.

Maybe. Getting to the right decision is obviously what matters. But the laws of the game - or at least convention - have always been that a refereeing decision can't be undone, I thought?

For example, a ref might get the decision right by pausing for a couple of minutes, whipping out his mobile phone, logging on to the Sky Sports app and seeing if Sky thought it was a penalty or not on their running commentary.

That might help get to the right decision, but it would be a bit weird (and probably a breach of the laws of the game?)

I think Moss has improved tremendously this season judging by the games I have seen him referee. Certainly not the worst anymore.

Maybe. Getting to the right decision is obviously what matters. But the laws of the game - or at least convention - have always been that a refereeing decision can't be undone, I thought?

For example, a ref might get the decision right by pausing for a couple of minutes, whipping out his mobile phone, logging on to the Sky Sports app and seeing if Sky thought it was a penalty or not on their running commentary.

That might help get to the right decision, but it would be a bit weird (and probably a breach of the laws of the game?)

OK you carry on.

A referee can change his decision provided that the game hasn’t restarted.

It probably went like this. Referee doesn’t see the ball hit the defender’s hand. Assistant is aware that the referee is unsighted and draws his attention to the potential handball by flagging for a foul and then puts his flag across his chest to indicate a penalty. Referee blows his whistle and points to the spot but not having seen the incident goes across for a discussion. Referee has the final word.

Remember that the linesman only has a flag but the referee has the whistle.

It probably went like this. Referee doesn’t see the ball hit the defender’s hand. Assistant is aware that the referee is unsighted and draws his attention to the potential handball by flagging for a foul and then puts his flag across his chest to indicate a penalty. Referee blows his whistle and points to the spot but not having seen the incident goes across for a discussion. Referee has the final word.

Remember that the linesman only has a flag but the referee has the whistle.

Was it just me or did we witness a new low in refereeing competency tonight?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

As soon as I found out it was Mike Dean in charge, I knew we'd be struggling for decisions. Redmond was fouled repeatedly but only got one free kick as I remember. Never thought Redders was a diver, certainly not in Mo Salah territory.

I can't decide, is Mike Dean actually a cheat, or just a massive caant?

He wasn’t that bad. Embarrassing how some think if we don’t get every decision the ref is incompetent or corrupt.

Standard is generally poor admittedly but bleating every game just highlights how clueless some people are.