Can we now dream ?

Kingsland Red

Here below the radar of the lazy media who cannot be bothered to research beyond the top 4 and rarely talk / write about other clubs, we are slowly building a quality dynasty.

If a club , say Southampton FC, get in a quality manager and coaching staff; have a strong academy set up; and then utilising the Sky money and their own resources, pick up quality players that have been considered by 'Top 4 ' clubs, then what is to stop them challenging for the league ?

Or am I going mad, as I wouldn't dare suggest this on a national phone-in !!

Not necessarily this season chums, but in due course as clubs like Swansea, Everton, Saints and say Villa gradually build as I describe.

The point being only four clubs are ever discussed at length by the media and any comment to the contrary is madness, like the 'Thought Police' run football.

Ironically, the game that has put us in these heights, highlights the reason why we wont even be close.

They played us of the park footballing wise...... we got lucky. Fully deserved when you think about west ham and sunderland, but today should act as a reminder of how far away we are, not how close we are.

Important to remember that Liverpool is the only team we've played from top ten so far.

But we beat WBA who have taken 4 points from arsenal and united?

In reality. This is a f-ing tough league. Where a team near the bottom can go away from home and play like Swansea did today.

Anyone can beat anyone this year.

Ironically, the game that has put us in these heights, highlights the reason why we wont even be close.

They played us of the park footballing wise...... we got lucky. Fully deserved when you think about west ham and sunderland, but today should act as a reminder of how far away we are, not how close we are.

You mean, by winning?

We also had our chances too

Important to remember that Liverpool is the only team we've played from top ten so far.

We beat West Brom who beat Man Utd and drew with Arsenal,drew with West Ham who spanked Spurs.

Unfortunately i dont think we have a strong enough squad to maintain a serious challenge.i so hope i'm wrong.Could see us challenging for 6th if we're lucky with injuries.

if we pick up 14 points from our next 7 games...... I will get excited! But we wont

happy to wager £10/20 with anyone on that

man u (a)

fulham (h)

stoke (a)

hull (h)

arsenal (a)

chelsea (a)

villa (h)

yeah i prob wouldn't make us favourites in some of them away games!

I didn't start this thread as another 'prediction' one , but more about the issue of clubs outside the top 4 beating the negativity surrounding any team outside the top four from the media who firstly never talk about any team except Arsenal, Man City, Manure and Chelsea and secondly, assume the existing status quo is unpenetrable.

It seems to me the media , in a 'stasi 'sort of 'thought police' way have brain washed many, like those who have posted on here, into a total acceptance of the existing status quo going forward for the foreseeable future, with no alternatives accepted, even (say) Tottenham not being given a reasonable platform.

With all the money sloshing about, if spent wisely with a decent manager, academy and team I see no reason why this cannot change, but I do understand that someone may knock at the door in the middle of the night and take me away for such thoughts.

Who knows where we will finish but the prem this season is more open than it has ever been. Combination of the big clubs getting weaker (united in particular) and the smaller clubs getting stronger. Plus chuck in a liberal sprinkling of new managers just to shake things up a bit.

Add to that there seem to be half a dozen sides who could all win the league (plus us!) and they will take points off each other all season long. Any one of Liverpool, arsenal, city, utd, Chelsea or spurs could come out on top.

For now just enjoying us being in amongst that lot!

man u (a)

fulham (h)

stoke (a)

hull (h)

arsenal (a)

chelsea (a)

villa (h)

yeah i prob wouldn't make us favourites in some of them away games!

10 points would be a great return from that lot. 7 points is the minimum we should be getting, anything above 10 would be a cracking result.

Enjoy it, take some screenshots of the table, as it sure as hell won't end anything like that!

Top 10 is on, but not much more than that. Over the course of the season the clubs with the big squads will come to the fore. We're just not quite there as yet.

I didn't start this thread as another 'prediction' one , but more about the issue of clubs outside the top 4 beating the negativity surrounding any team outside the top four from the media who firstly never talk about any team except Arsenal, Man City, Manure and Chelsea and secondly, assume the existing status quo is unpenetrable.

It seems to me the media , in a 'stasi 'sort of 'thought police' way have brain washed many, like those who have posted on here, into a total acceptance of the existing status quo going forward for the foreseeable future, with no alternatives accepted, even (say) Tottenham not being given a reasonable platform.

With all the money sloshing about, if spent wisely with a decent manager, academy and team I see no reason why this cannot change, but I do understand that someone may knock at the door in the middle of the night and take me away for such thoughts.

"Stasi", "Thought Police", "brain washed".

Jesus, what a load of sh it.

Saying "yay, I reckon my team can finish, like, fourth" does not make you Nelson Mandela.

Saying "yay, I reckon my team can finish, like, fourth" does not make you Nelson Mandela.

You do realise that 73,6% of your posts criticise what others have written? (Make that 73.7% after your response to this one...) :)

Good news, thanks CB Fry for your reassurance - I was beginning to wonder, listening to national radio phone ins over the last couple of months.

The press & media are obsessed with Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool and to a certain extent, Tottenham. Rarely does anybody else have a mention but gradually some of the so called experts are beginning to notice the Mighty Saints. After all we have done for years!

Nothing wrong with dreaming, but dreams rarely come true! Think we need to calm down the threads on 4th place/champions league, provides too much ammo when we finish 11th for Turkish et. al to proclaim that the entire forum said we'd finish 4th. It's a natural reaction to get excited, we're football fans so why shouldn't we! Next few games look a lot tougher, there's no such thing as an easy start, and we certainly didn't pick up as many points from the same fixtures last year ( lost at West Brom, Liverpool and home to Sunderland). I can see maybe 6 or 7 points from the next 6 games, but to go into Christmas with 20 + points will be good progress. I'd imagine the aim of the club now might be 60 points. Is it achievable? Still too early to say

There now exists a "big 6" of United, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs.

Realistically, we are competing with Everton, West Brom, Swansea etc to come top on the rest.

14 points after 7 games is fantastic and gives us a nice cushion for when a bad run happens, and it will happen, does to everybody. Personally, I would like to see us take a strong team to sunderland and try and win the league cup like Swansea last season. That is still our most realistic route into Europe.

Truth is, we've only lost 6 premier league games in the whole of 2013. That's 6 out of 26 games. We've only lost 3 in the last 17.

And we've got a very good chance at old Trafford in 2 weeks.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Sounds about right imo. Was it online?

I have it delivered. It's online but you have to subscribe and might have to pay.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/finktank/article3887187.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2013_10_04

I've found the article from Saturday. It has us at 11th and Man Utd at 16th. PM me and I'll post it to you.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

There now exists a "big 6" of United, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs.

Realistically, we are competing with Everton, West Brom, Swansea etc to come top on the rest.

14 points after 7 games is fantastic and gives us a nice cushion for when a bad run happens, and it will happen, does to everybody. Personally, I would like to see us take a strong team to sunderland and try and win the league cup like Swansea last season. That is still our most realistic route into Europe.

Great post. Totally agree.