Charlton fans jailed for Steven Lawrence song

Griffo

http://asia.eurosport.com/football/fa-cup/2012-2013/charlton-fans-jailed-for-stephen-lawrence-chants_sto3985962/story.shtml

Now it might just be me, but isn't this ridiculous? Yes the song wasn't very tasteful, but to be put inside for words? 18 months some of them got. Stuart Hall got less time inside than that. Typical of the police/courts to treat football fans x10 worse than 'normal' members of public. If they had been violent towards anyone then you could understand it. The only thing I can think of as to why the sentences are so harsh would be that they've got previous stuff on record. Surely a fine/community service would have been more than enough for a few people just being idiots?

Edited by Griffo

Absolutely crazy sentences. Even more bizzare is how it could be classified as "football related". Very strange.

It was 5 hours after the end of the game had finished too.

The Police don't sentence people - courts do that.

Changed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2070562/Muslim-girl-gang-kicked-Rhea-Page-head-yelling-kill-white-slag-FREED.html

As an example, how those lads can go inside for singing a song, yet these girls don't get any time at all..

If the scenario we flipped (drunk white girls attempt to murder a somalian muslim), I suspect the jail terms would be immediate and significantly longer.

That is absolutely shocking.

It was after they had played Fulham away, but 5 hours after the end of the game.

They shouldnt have sung what they did, nor should Ed Milliband been photographed with a family member with a T-shirt celebrating Thatchers death, nor should extremist muslims march in Luton hailing death to British police, but to send these people to jail is outrageous. Especially in comparison to the attempted murder article above.

Seems fair enough to me. Nasty, aggresive and racist. Lock them up I say and glad they got the football banning order too. It seems it wasn't just for the song, but also for aggresive anti social behaviour. They may have had previous convictions which would influence the sentence. Better off inside and hopefully they will think twice before being such nasty little ***** again.

Seems fair enough to me. Nasty, aggresive and racist. Lock them up I say and glad they got the football banning order too. It seems it wasn't just for the song, but also for aggresive anti social behaviour. They may have had previous convictions which would influence the sentence. Better off inside and hopefully they will think twice before being such nasty little ***** again.
An 18 month prison sentence for singing an offensive song is mental, no two ways about it. I don't doubt they're fairly "unpleasant" individuals, but that's not really the point.

BTP just love CAFC, they keep them in business!

it does seem that way.

they should be able to get the football bans overturned...it was a long time after the match and no connection to football. What if they'd been doing that on a friday night out on the town?

it is a world cup year though, so the courts are more than happy to hand out bans as instructed by the home office no doubt, get those stats up, protect all those poor Brazilians from having to listen to nasty songs

I totally agree. You can go on about other cases etc. but we are dealing with this one. Which is clearly related to football as they had been to a game. As for the singing, well if they are going to sing **** like that then they deserve it, i couldn't have cared less if they were shot tbh, seriously, i wouldn't.

The murder of Stephen Lawrence was (and continued to be) a pivotal point in Britsh society and the responses and action after, which obviously were unacceptable.

**** em.

It was after they had played Fulham away, but 5 hours after the end of the game.

If a football fan went to an away game, stayed over in that city, and whilst they were out in the evening they robbed a shop and were subsequently caught, would they get a football banning order as part of their sentence?

If a football fan went to an away game, stayed over in that city, and whilst they were out in the evening they robbed a shop and were subsequently caught, would they get a football banning order as part of their sentence?

No, and quite rightly so.