Sunderland Build Up Thread

Wiggles31

So should we be prioritising CL league or Premiership matches when we have two matches a week? Would the best players play in CL at the expense of our league position? How much more might our seat prices rise? Could we get into financial trouble by signing expensive CL quality players who we might not be able to afford once we are out of the competition? The historic tragedy of Leeds Utd and Ipswich before comes to mind. I'm not dissing European football for us which would be momentous, just pointing out some risks.

(The same applies equally whichever European competition we might find ourselves in)

Meanwhile back to the thread, I would give game experience to Chambers, Maya, Ramires, Cork, Lee, Davies and Fox, the remainder of places (but not full 90 minutes) to first team players. Rickie and JWP must be on the pitch towards the end in case it comes down to penalties. I think that if our fringe players can't do enough to beat Sunderland then European football is not yet a realistic option.

I agree with that. Except the Rickie bit - with Osvaldo carrying an injury, we can't afford not to have either on Saturday.

As for your first point, yes European qualification carries risk, but that shouldn't be an inhibitor. We would just need to manage those risks. I think the management at the club would know how to manage it.

Speak for yourself... most intelligent saints fans agree with MPs approach of pursuing the ultimate objective.. we may beat Sunderland with a squad team anyway.

It's a lost cause trying to reason with some of these people. Some muppets on here think it would be better to get relegated because we win more games at Championship level and it's more fun winning games. That's what we're up against!!

It's a lost cause trying to reason with some of these people. Some muppets on here think it would be better to get relegated because we win more games at Championship level and it's more fun winning games. That's what we're up against!!

We have more chance of winning a cup than finishing 4th - thats all anyone is saying.

Most would prefer to finsih 8th or 9th and win a cup than finish 6th or 7th and win nothing

Speak for yourself... most intelligent saints fans agree with MPs approach of pursuing the ultimate objective.. we may beat Sunderland with a squad team anyway.

intelligent?

i would say misguided.

you can live your fantasy playing football manager at home taking us to the champions league while we're at Wembley in the league cup final

We have more chance of winning a cup than finishing 4th - thats all anyone is saying.

Most would prefer to finsih 8th or 9th and win a cup than finish 6th or 7th and win nothing

What evidence do you have for that besides your own opinion?

There's no way MoPo is going to drag half the first team up to Sunderland in a mickey mouse cup. Half the people posting were also on a thread t'other day about preventing burnout with our pressing game

The bigger teams are taking this more seriously now as winning a trophy (any trophy) can save a managers season so expect to see ManU, Chelsea etc putting out strong teams

intelligent?

i would say misguided.

you can live your fantasy playing football manager at home taking us to the champions league while we're at Wembley in the league cup final

What a pathetic statement.. is this the level of the forum these days... God forbid

@SouthamptonFC: Kelvin Davis says #SaintsFC's focus is purely on tomorrow's trip to @SAFCofficial and not a potential quarter-final: http://t.co/cbvnsj58mN

@SouthamptonFC: Kelvin Davis: "We're looking to progress and we know that going to #SAFC will be no easy game." #saintsfc http://t.co/v825BW0kF2

@SouthamptonFC: Kelvin: "It's going to be a tough game. The fact that the winners will play @chelseafc - at this stage - doesn't mean anything." #saintsfc

@SouthamptonFC: Kelvin: "It's been a long time since I was at #SAFC and they've had their ups and downs since I left there, and I have as well." #saintsfc

Edited by trousers

You're crazy.

:)

Seriously though, you may be right, but someone above made a good point... if we were to play Lambert and J-Rod, and one or both picked up a knock, or we ended up playing 120 mins, and then Osvaldo didn't recover in time for Saturday, then I really wouldn't fancy our chances of beating Hull. It's a percentages game; my view is we shouldn't take the gamble. We have a squad - lets use it in this competition. We've used the League cup in years gone by for our fringe players and for the likes of Luke Shaw, Calum Chambers, James W-P, Alex Ox-C, etc...I'd far rather we use the League Cup for giving our fringe players game time and for bringing younger players through like Omar Rowe, Harrison Reed etc. Why move away from that strategy now?

Haha thanks.

I totally agree about the young players - I'm just not convinced they should be playing alongside our fringe senior players. Put Reed in next to Wanyama, Rowe next to Lallana etc. and we might just win the game AND get the lads some experience.

And if players are tired then rest them - but don't weaken the team too considerably. All IMHO of course and I do understand your point.

Get with the times buddy. Cortese wants CL football, it is clear from the players and manager this is the goal. Cortese believes Poch and the current squad can achieve this, however playing a full or near full strength side in Capital One Cup is not going to help achieve that.

From next season the winners of the Europa League will qualify for the Champions League the following season, so winning the COC this season could be a way (however unlikely) of achieving that aim.

I'm in the don't care camp as I'm going to watch a competitive game of football between 2-sides - one of which I happen to follow.

On the one hand I want to win every game and stick one on Poyet - on the other I worry about burn out of our talented young squad by over playing them. Yes I know they are professional footballers and only have to play for 90-mins a week (usually) - but this high tempo game is taxing on a body of any age!

I know in my heart that anyone pulling on a shirt these days wants to give 100% - but I have my doubts about a couple of them. Gaston (the enigma) is one of them. Sometimes he looks interested - other times he looks lost. Petulant challenges when he loses the ball - and should get booked. This is just the sort of stage he will lose it and get sent off - nice warm bath instead of a cold wet rainy Stadium of Light for another 30-mins! Lee is another one I have my doubts about - he looked absolutely useless at Leeds last year, and seen nothing of him thise year to change my mind.

So in summary:

I want the win

I want 100% effort and honesty

I couldn't care less who plays

One game at a time

For God's sake it's Hull on Saturday not Barcelona!!

Trust in Pochettino and the squad

Nice to meet some of the first team in with the fans!

It's a sad day when a dime-a-dozen nondescript league game against (wait for it) Hull City is regarded as more of a priority than the club pursuing only its second major trophy of the modern era.

Some of you lot are effing nuts.

Couldn't agree more.

Have just watched the pre-match interview with Kelvin. I think it's pretty clear from what he said that we'll be resting 'most' of the team that started vs Stoke.

we clearly are going to play a weakened team - that is what is frustrating, watching the chance of a decent cup run being lost due to club apathy is disappointing, all media stories point to virtually a complete change http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/10784394.Fonte_s_faith_in_Saints_squad/

My Brighton supporting mate reckons Poyet never plays a fully strength side s hopefully we play enough to beat theri reserves and we progress.

good point, i recall non-league Woking and FC United of Manchester both taking Brighton to cup replays. Could be a good thing for us then.

Think its safe to say that most would choose 8th place and a cup win over 6/7th and nothing?

Wouldnt you?

It's a ridiculous proposition. There's no way of knowing that's how things would pan out. What I would choose is we give it our best shot at finishing 4th or higher.

There are no certainties in the outcome of any game, league or cup, with or without our first team, that we should just leave to MP to manage his squad as he sees fit. I am quite sure that he wants to win this game but I am equally sure that he wants to win on Saturday more. The team he puts out tonight should be good enough to win

The u21s have a closed doors friendly against Charlton this afternoon, this is the team

#SaintsFCU21s team versus #CAFC U21s: Johns, Young, McCarthy, Debayo, Targett, Gape, Robinson, Flannigan, Moore, Rowe, Sinclair.

Britt (GK), Mason, Colmer, Sims, Seager.

No Isgrove, Reed, Stephens or Turnbull, maybe on the bench/starting tomorrow?

I fancy people are being a touch too black and white about this. Progress in the cup could help build momentum for the league while on the other hand a good league finish this year might help us solidify the gains we have made and have a crack at trophies year on year if we build on the side (ifs and maybes for sure but thats sort of the point!).

My own opinion is, as much as I would love a cup run, I am prouder of our reputation for bringing through the academy talents and, if that means giving them experience in the cups, so be it.

I fancy people are being a touch too black and white about this. Progress in the cup could help build momentum for the league while on the other hand a good league finish this year might help us solidify the gains we have made and have a crack at trophies year on year if we build on the side (ifs and maybes for sure but thats sort of the point!).

My own opinion is, as much as I would love a cup run, I am prouder of our reputation for bringing through the academy talents and, if that means giving them experience in the cups, so be it.

Best post of the day

Best post of the day

Provisional squad for the game, taken from the mirror's preview:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/southampton-team-news-pochettino-set-2678454?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Provisional squad: K Davis, Gazzaniga, Clyne, Chambers, Shaw, Fox, Targett, Lovren, Hooiveld, Yoshida, Fonte, McCarthy, Stephens, Schneiderlin, Cork, S Davis, Ward-Prowse, Wanyama, Lallana, Rowe, Reed, Rodriguez, Ramirez, Osvaldo, Lambert, Lee, Sinclair

Provisional squad for the game, taken from the mirror's preview:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/southampton-team-news-pochettino-set-2678454?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Provisional squad: K Davis, Gazzaniga, Clyne, Chambers, Shaw, Fox, Targett, Lovren, Hooiveld, Yoshida, Fonte, McCarthy, Stephens, Schneiderlin, Cork, S Davis, Ward-Prowse, Wanyama, Lallana, Rowe, Reed, Rodriguez, Ramirez, Osvaldo, Lambert, Lee, Sinclair

"Provisional squad" :D

They've just named 27 Saints players and left out Artur Boruc because it appears Kelvin Davis will play. They haven't a clue what it'll be.