Sunderland Build Up Thread

Wiggles31

Huge huge game!

Do we go for a strong team or play some reserve players?

Its gotta be a strong team for me. This is as good a chance to get to Wembley we have or europe.

Team for me:

Boruc

Clyne Fonte Yoshida Shaw

Cork Morgan

Davis Lallana Ramirez

JRod

Massive game. COYS!

Is anyone actually interested in this game? Give the players a rest and put out the reserves again. Much rather have the three points on Saturday. Would like a decent run in the FA Cup though.

All the premier league teams put out weakened sides in the league cup, especially those in the Champions League. Which completely devalues it.

My view is make the League cup an U21 cup, with maybe three over age players. Make it more interesting

Is anyone actually interested in this game? Give the players a rest and put out the reserves again. Much rather have the three points on Saturday. Would like a decent run in the FA Cup though.

All the premier league teams put out weakened sides in the league cup, especially those in the Champions League. Which completely devalues it.

My view is make the League cup an U21 cup, with maybe three over age players. Make it more interesting

Yes.

We have a genuine chance to progress into the later stages. This is our only realistic route to Wembley and Europe if we're honest, not sure why people belittle it.

Yes.

We have a genuine chance to progress into the later stages. This is our only realistic route to Wembley and Europe if we're honest, not sure why people belittle it.

100% this. Said at the start of the season this should be our number one priority and I stand by that (I was and am convinced we won't get relegated.)

Wembley, a trophy, Europe. We should be going for it.

And we can be in the semis before we even start in the FA Cup.

Agree with this. I wouldnt risk any first team players for this fixture, would go with

Davis

Chambers - Hooiveld - Yoshida - Fox

Cork - Davis

JWP - Ramirez - Isgrove

Lee

Subs: Gazzaniga, Stephens, Jrod, Targett, Reed, Sinclair, Rowe

Yes.

Is there no FA Cup this season then?

If beating Sunderland means losing to Hull at home, well, I'd rather beat Hull.

But, I think we'll put out a decent side, a mixture of 1st teamers and squad players.

Something like;

Davis

Chambers, Yoshida, Jos, Fox

Cork, JWP

Lee, Davis, Ramirez

Rodriguez

Bench: Gazza, Lambert, Lallana, Isgrove, Rowe, Fonte, Reed.

Edit: fwiw, I don't think Sunderland will be full strength. Poyet will want to utilise squad players to see what they can do. Plus they have a big game on Sunday.

Edited by Webby

If beating Sunderland means losing to Hull at home, well, I'd rather beat Hull.

If we beat Hull do you think we should have an open top bus parade followed by a civic reception at the Guildhall? I do. I think beating Hull City will probably rank of one of my best days as a Saints fan.

I really don't know where our arrogance has come from. For a club that has won a staggering ONE major trophy in our entire history, we need to take every competition seriously.

Exactly. The only one thing Pompey have over us in their ridiculous claim to being a bigger club is their trophies won. I hope we play our first team on Wednesday. Looking forward to it.

If we beat Hull do you think we should have an open top bus parade followed by a civic reception at the Guildhall? I do. I think beating Hull City will probably rank of one of my best days as a Saints fan.

My post was a response to someone saying that the sunderland game is more important than the Hull game. I disagree. I think every game is important, but I'd rather carry on getting good results in the league. However, I think we'll rest some players on weds but, hopefully, whoever plays, we'll get the result we want.

Do you not see the contradiction here? You say the League Cup has been devalued because teams put out weakened sides. And then you call for Saints to put out a team of reserves. :?

I'd mix in a few first team players with the reserves, something like

Davis

Chambers Yoshida Hooiveld Fox (is he fit?)

Cork JWP

Davis Ramirez Lee

Rodriguez

I'd be tempted to put Lambert, Lallana, Schneiderlin etc on the bench, but I can us leaving most of the senior first team players at home.

Not bothered at all by this game or the Capital One Cup (never have been and never will be, it's the PL equivalent of the JPT), this would be my team:

Davis

Chambers Hooiveld Yoshida Fox

Davis Cork

JWP Ramirez Isgrove

Lee

Edited by BlakeySFC

I think there are definitely a few squad players who deserve a run out and chance to put themselves in the hat for the first team. Our second string isn't exactly weak, I think we should have a bit of faith in them.

Davis

Chambers Yoshida Hooiveld Fox

Cork Wanyama

Gaston Tadders Isgrove

JRod

Wouldn't give Victor and JRod 90 mins either if it can be helped.

My post was a response to someone saying that the sunderland game is more important than the Hull game. I disagree. I think every game is important, but I'd rather carry on getting good results in the league. However, I think we'll rest some players on weds but, hopefully, whoever plays, we'll get the result we want.

^This

I think there are definitely a few squad players who deserve a run out and chance to put themselves in the hat for the first team. Our second string isn't exactly weak, I think we should have a bit of faith in them.

Davis

Chambers Yoshida Hooiveld Fox

Cork Wanyama

Gaston Tadders Isgrove

JRod

Wouldn't give Victor and JRod 90 mins either if it can be helped.

Not bothered at all by this game or the Capital One Cup (never have been and never will be, it's the PL equivalent of the JPT), this would be my team:

Davis Cork

JWP Ramirez Isgrove

Lee

I understand you're not bothered but surely you should select a keeper!!?

Davis Cork

JWP Ramirez Isgrove

Lee

Not playing a keeper is taking the p**s somewhat though...

For me, it'd be a modified first team, thus taking the cup seriously but giving fringe players a run out to prove their worth.

Boruc

Clyne Yoshida Jos Shaw

Cork Wanyama

JWP Ramirez Guly

Osvaldo

...something like that, but with first team players on the bench if needed like Lambert, Lallana, Morgan etc etc

(It won't be the above team, that's just a suggestion.)

Davis

Davis Cork

JWP Ramirez Isgrove

Lee

So you wouldn't go if we got to the final?

Ridiculous and sad that some people are claiming not to be bothered about is having a crack at winning a major trophy. It seems some people would consider 8th In the league a better season than finishing 9th in the league and winning this trophy. Odd.

To win the Capital cup: we need to beat Sunderland away, Chelsea home, a two legged semi v (probably) Man C or Man U or Spurs, followed by a final (probably) against one of those three ... 2 games, plus a two-leg semi, plus a final, no obvious easy game in there, 16/1 with PP to come through those 5 games.

To win the FA Cup we need to win 4 games, plus a knock-out semi and a final. Draw currently unseen but will include a smattering of lower league and non-league sides in rounds 3 and 4 (and on recent form on into round 5, and 6), PP will give you 33-1 about us winning 6 games and the FA Cup.

Are we twice as likely to win the League Cup as the FA Cup?

So you wouldn't go if we got to the final?

I probably would do if I could get a ticket. But still wouldn't be bothered if we lost, can't really explain why just never been excited about the Carling/Capital One Cup and probably never will be.

Would rather come 4th-6th in the league than win any trophy.

For me League Position > Trophies.

I don't think trophies mean as much as they used to nowadays.

Davis has to play against his old team; Jos and Yosh and Fox need a game, as does Steven Davis, Cork and Ramirez to help get them match fit/up to speed. All are "first teamers" that if required need to fit in seamlessly. That does not make it a weak or second string team in my view.

Keep the momentum going and play a strong team who'll have a couple missing due to red cards on Saturday

-------- Boruc --------

Clyne - Fonte - Lovren - Shaw

---- Cork -- Big Vic -----

Lallana - Davis - J-Rod

---- SRL -----

So basically a full first team less Morgan (and perhaps JWP) for some reason or other. It won't happen because we are not going to have all of our top players trekking off to Sunderland on a wdnesday evening when we have a vital home game on Saturday at 3. Side will be much the same as that of the last round with a couple of first teamers on the bench in a fire bucket role. Now if Hull had a game this week it might be different but they don't so it won't.

Team made up mainly with the non-regulars but with a very strong bench is called for IMO !

Sunderland have to concentrate on the league more than us as they are in the relegation mix so I expect them to make many changes !

If we keep it tight for an hour and then go for the jugular we should have enough to win it !

COYS.

Huge huge game!

Do we go for a strong team or play some reserve players?

Its gotta be a strong team for me. This is as good a chance to get to Wembley we have or europe.

Team for me:

Boruc

Clyne Fonte Yoshida Shaw

Cork Morgan

Davis Lallana Ramirez

JRod

Massive game. COYS!

You cannot be serious! Not sure anybody cares one way or the other. Can't see any of our lads queuing up to get picked for a cold night up int frozen norf!

In the NPC we regularly played the same team Tuesday Saturday... Why now we're in the PL with supposedly vastly improved fitness should we be resting players? Give some guys who deserve it a chance stake a claim - but there is no reason to put out a weak team.

Davis

Clyne Fonte Yoshida Fox

Schneiderlin Cork

JWP Davis Lallana

Osvaldo

To win the Capital cup: we need to beat Sunderland away, Chelsea home, a two legged semi v (probably) Man C or Man U or Spurs, followed by a final (probably) against one of those three ... 2 games, plus a two-leg semi, plus a final, no obvious easy game in there, 16/1 with PP to come through those 5 games.

To win the FA Cup we need to win 4 games, plus a knock-out semi and a final. Draw currently unseen but will include a smattering of lower league and non-league sides in rounds 3 and 4 (and on recent form on into round 5, and 6), PP will give you 33-1 about us winning 6 games and the FA Cup.

Are we twice as likely to win the League Cup as the FA Cup?

We're not going to get a run like the one we got in 2003. Or the one Millwall got the year after.

But it's still possible to play lower league opposition, and we won't get a Bradford but who knows? Remember Swansea were lucky in getting through their semi-final with Chelsea, and scored from 2 defensive mistakes at Stamford Bridge.

Similarly, we may get a top PL team in our first FA Cup round again, rather than some non-league team on their dream day.

To do something special, chances are you need a lucky break against slightly better opposition. Our 4-0 demolition of Tottenham was unexpected, as we had worked hard to get a result on NYD. Just like the Skates outrageous survival at Old Trafford was in 2008.

Edited by melmacian_saint