January 2014 Transfer news & rumours

Glasgow_Saint

Since the summer we have sold, released or loaned 21 players. We have signed just 3

Osvaldo TBC

Danny Fox

Aaron Martin

Lee Barnard

Tadanari Lee

Fraser Colmer

Billy Sharp

Emmanuel Mayuka

Dean Hammond

Danny Butterfield

Jason Puncheon

Tommy Forecast

Frazer Richardson

Steve de Ridder

Ryan Dickson

Danny Seaborne

Richard Chaplow

Ben Reeves

Vegard Forren

Alberto Seidi

Sam Hoskins

That's because they are dross at this level, or a complete mentalist. Does that make sense to you?

I think even if we don't buy anybody it will have been a good transfer window. Get shot of the deadwood including the liability that is Osvaldo. I would imagine the squad harmony would be better now after the headbutting incident. Sure we will get injuries and our squad isn't that deep but we have kept the core 17-18, something many of us were worried about a few weeks ago. Still got MP, still got Shaw, Lovren, Clyne, Lallana, SRL. Bad egg Osvaldo out. That'll do for me (unless Lewandowski fancies a spell on the south coast!).

Before the window I think most agreed our squad lacked depth. We have told the players not in our squad and sold a couple of fringe players. While this season is safe, there is still the FA cup to win. Have we trimmed the squad to save a bit of cash and to give the kids a chance while no real pressure? Or were we just clearing the decks before signing someone?

AV-37-1228768613.jpg

surely we should be looking at better players than Ings... he is basically a young Billy Sharp.

Look at player turnover in first 18 months under Mopo at Espanyol, its spookily similar to ours, he has no mercy in shipping out deadwood and you can only applaud him for that.

how is that "breaking news" ? It has been widely touted for about 24 hours, and Italian reports as referred to in this forum, have been saying its nearing completion for a few hours.

Would guess that BBC have only just found a source they trust enough to go ahead with the story.

Sounds like we're getting our money back at least.

surely we should be looking at better players than Ings... he is basically a young Billy Sharp.

Look at player turnover in first 18 months under Mopo at Espanyol, its spookily similar to ours, he has no mercy in shipping out deadwood and you can only applaud him for that.

I see it more as allowing players to move on, and pursue their playing careers elsewhere. As opposed to a CEO's policy of just leaving them to rot in the reserves for no good reason other than he had the power to do so.

Perhaps KL has allowed a more compassionate way of dealing with players who are surplus to our needs.

Last 2 days posts from page 19 if anyone can be bothered.

http://forum.juventuz.org/threads/37498-Pablo-Daniel-Osvaldo-ST-Southampton/page68

Some of these Juve fans are not exactly over the moon at the prospect of Osvaldo's arrival. Others think Juve have structured the deal for a needed short term fix and can then pull out before having to spunk €20m come May.

Don't think that has anything to do with it what so ever.

There was a training ground confrontation during Christmas as well, which is why he mysteriously disappeared for a few weeks - only to then be followed by the FA Suspension. No idea who was involved, but I'm ITK on that one - it was a club cover up at the time to say he had an injury.

He could have got himself Red carded against villa too. The fact of the matter is that the bloke is a mentalist, he is a time bomb and can explode at any time with anyone. It doesn't matter if the chairman had left or not.

A much fairer summary thankyou for putting across the true facts.

He was a selfish ordinary player who was not a 'team' member. We are fortunate to have escaped this car crash with just scratch.....

Good to get rid of some of the deadwood this transfer window but with all the wages saved it is very frustrating to not bring anyone in and rely on an 18 year old kid upfront. If we get a few more injuries we could be in big trouble as we are not safe yet and have no squad strength depth at all now. Yes we should be safe but nothing is guaranteed yet and after a great start it would be a real shame for the season to peter out now due to lack of squad strength and relying too much on kids

Maybe the fans should follow Saints example and say we can't be ar*ed with the second half of the season as that is the message they are sending out to us.

Unimpressed with our lack of ambition. Yes we have kept our best players so things could be a lot worse but with all these wages freed up its disappointing that we can't get a couple of players in that we desperately need to keep competition for places and have a decent finish to the season

Good to get rid of some of the deadwood this transfer window but with all the wages saved it is very frustrating to not bring anyone in and rely on an 18 year old kid upfront. If we get a few more injuries we could be in big trouble as we are not safe yet and have no squad strength depth at all now. Yes we should be safe but nothing is guaranteed yet and after a great start it would be a real shame for the season to peter out now due to lack of squad strength and relying too much on kids

Maybe the fans should follow Saints example and say we can't be ar*ed with the second half of the season as that is the message they are sending out to us.

Unimpressed with our lack of ambition. Yes we have kept our best players so things could be a lot worse but with all these wages freed up its disappointing that we can't get a couple of players in that we desperately need to keep competition for places and have a decent finish to the season

I agree with this.

Totally agree

Have to agree with that, the Italian league is on par with our Championship in some regard (quality wise)

Just simply being left behind

Agree with you. It's looking like it's getting left behind and irrelevant. Only la Liga the EPL and top two bundesliga& France count nowadays.

You have no idea what the club has been doing behind the scenes over the last couple of months. We could have been chasing targets which would have broken Osvaldo's transfer fee but the deal couldn't be agreed for whatever reason. There is still another day of the transfer window we may yet sign a player, even though it does look unlikely.

Agree. I have been raising the alarm for some time. We are not safe and could well be sleepwalking to relegation.

When Nicola walked out,who thought we'd get through the window with the manager still in situ and none of our stars gone? Yet some people are still moaning about lack of ambition and penny pinching. Its short termism dinosaurs like fat sam and arry that run around doing this deal and that deal in jan, throwing mud against a wall and hoping some of it sticks. Its like a desperado asking every chick in the night club out, hoping he'll get lucky in the end. I much prefer the Southampton way of steady evolution.

Agree. I have been raising the alarm for some time. We are not safe and could well be sleepwalking to relegation.

Listen I am a glass half empty sort of chap however no way will we go down but...... I am slightly underwhelmed we have shown no ambition in the market though. The FA Cup should be a goal for us but we don't really seem bothered.

The comedy king is back.

Do your yo-yo policy routine again, or why not pretend we desperately need a gigantic points total to stay up. Oh, how we laugh.

Speaking as a pessimist even I have to admit that is utter bull****. Ask Arsenal and Man City as the only team to have taken a point off them in their last 7 and 9 matches respectively what chance Southampton being relegated ? Utter tosh pal.

Worrying thing is that most of the teams below us are strengthening .....surely we cant be that niave to think we can carry on the rest of the season with a threadbare squad.

When Nicola walked out,who thought we'd get through the window with the manager still in situ and none of our stars gone? Yet some people are still moaning about lack of ambition and penny pinching. Its short termism dinosaurs like fat sam and arry that run around doing this deal and that deal in jan, throwing mud against a wall and hoping some of it sticks. Its like a desperado asking every chick in the night club out, hoping he'll get lucky in the end. I much prefer the Southampton way of steady evolution.

Often don't agree with you, but agree 100% with this if I'm honest.

A signing would have helped, especially after Osvaldo making his bed, as it were. Bit it's not the end of the world.

I'm not sure what people really expect. The club say they won't make signings before the window and will focus on bringing kids through.

Then the Cortese episode happens, no one is talking about ins, all talks is about possible (notable) outs.

It's not altogether surprising really. Something may still happen, and I wouldn't oppose it but it may not and that's fine too. Do people still not understand January transfers just aren't great.

The squad is better than this time last jan, and the only player we got in was Forren and that hardly did much for us did it? Or you can buy loads at massive cost,ala, QPR and still be screwed.

I'm also a bit confused about this outrage at us relying on an 18 year old kid upfront. Remind me how old Shaw & Chambers are again?

I say it all the time, but it really seems people just want signings for signings sake. If they aren't going to improve us, or fit in - what is the point? We've seen what happens when they don't got in, and it's usually the same people that complain about that.

Gwarn Gallagher I say!

Though if we do get someone good in that will be nice also :)

Excellent post. Couldn't agree more.

It was the January transfer window when we got Jonno Forte. A year later it was when we acquired Billy Sharp.The Southampton way is to let things evolve - not knee jerk short termism.