Hampshire CCC Season 2014

Weston Saint

(Essex should wrap up their win just after lunch so a little bit of pressure... how many points will they get?)

Essex will get 22 points in total for their win (16 for the win, 3 bowling points, 3 batting points - they'd only got past the 300-run mark after 110 overs), which puts them on 229. We'll also be on 229 if we somehow don't manage to bowl Glamorgan out in 5 and a bit sessions, but Essex would finish above us with more wins.

Assuming we DO bowl Glamorgan out, we will move onto 240, ahead of Worcestershire who will end on 237.

Essex will get 22 points in total for their win (16 for the win, 3 bowling points, 3 batting points - they'd only got past the 300-run mark after 110 overs), which puts them on 229. We'll also be on 229 if we somehow don't manage to bowl Glamorgan out in 5 and a bit sessions, but Essex would finish above us with more wins.

Assuming we DO bowl Glamorgan out, we will move onto 240, ahead of Worcestershire who will end on 237.

I put it more succinctly. :smug:

Back to where we belong. Well done Jimmy Adams and the team. This was always our main goal from the start of the season. Always in our hands and we played it out to perfection in the last few games.

I'm not sure having to follow on against Kent last week was perfection, to be fair :lol:

Interesting stat.

Essex deserved to go up instead of Worcs in my opinion. With worcs you had a guy single handed my winning them games on his own time and again, then his action was proven to be illegal. Then you had the subsequent slump in their form the minute he left, getting beaten easily on a number of occasions. Add to that the fact it was an open secret that a lot of their fans wanted them to roll over and allow Essex to win and go up with them , resulting in a mass promotion love in and back-slapping party afterwards. Well luckily hants hadn't read the script, so thanks for the title Worcs ;-)

Brilliant performance by Hampshire! Absolutely delighted. Great time to be a Saints and Hampshire fan!

Fantastic to see Tommo getting six wickets to finish as our leading wicket-taker yet again. Excellent captaincy by Adams - I never doubted that decision not to enforce the follow-on for a single moment ;)

Some fine team performances and consistently solid individual performances this year, especially amongst the batsmen.

Hampshire 2014 Div 2 Batting averages:

Vince 61

Smith 52

Ervine 45

Adams 43

Carberry 42

Hampshire 2014 Div 2 Bowling Averages:

Wood 15 wkts at 17

Abbot 36 wkts at 20

Tomlinson 47 wkts at 26

Briggs 27 wkts at 26

Coles 41 wkts at 28

Dawson 17 wkts at 31

Ervine 19 wkts at 36

Excellent season apart from the Royal London Cup difficult for me to come up with a player of the season with so many to chose from but I think I am going for Sean Ervine for his two recent centuries and his general all round ability but equally I could have gone for Jimmy Adams Will Smith James Vince Kyle Abbott or James Tomlinson.

Really glad to have overtaken Worcestershire who we beat comprehensively at Portsmouth in 1974 only for them to beat us to the Championship as I think we were unable to play our last five days of cricket due to bad weather and did not gain any bonus points.

For the future I think we need a really good number three batsmen another seamer possibly Kyle Abbott not sure what has happened to Danny Briggs and who to have as wicket keeper

Excellent season apart from the Royal London Cup difficult for me to come up with a player of the season with so many to chose from but I think I am going for Sean Ervine for his two recent centuries and his general all round ability but equally I could have gone for Jimmy Adams Will Smith James Vince Kyle Abbott or James Tomlinson.

Really glad to have overtaken Worcestershire who we beat comprehensively at Portsmouth in 1974 only for them to beat us to the Championship as I think we were unable to play our last five days of cricket due to bad weather and did not gain any bonus points.

For the future I think we need a really good number three batsmen another seamer possibly Kyle Abbott not sure what has happened to Danny Briggs and who to have as wicket keeper

Ah yes, I remember that 1974 Worcester match. I left school that year and was waiting to start my apprenticeship so had plenty of time of my hands. My mate and I travelled over to the United Services ground from the Island every day for ‘Portsmouth Week’ – IIRC Hants played Warwickshire in the other fixture. Gordon Greenidge and Barry Richards opening the batting and Andy Roberts bowling – happy days!

As for player of the season, like you say, there are quite a few candidates, but I think I’d be tempted to it to Smith for his all-round performance in all competitions.