Dani Osvaldo

Glasgow_Saint

Wow. Our fans seem to have forgotten what it is to loose, now it's chaos! The problem with osvaldo is ego, he's selfish and makes poor decisions. I still think he's our best player in terms of touch and control. However everyone says it takes time to adapt to the league...he's played a handful of games and he gets 1 start up front on his own at Chelsea and doesn't do well. If that was the kind of chance everyone was given Wes be buying a new striker every week.

For me, when playing a big team away, J Rod should play up top, as the other 2 aren't able to.

Wow. Our fans seem to have forgotten what it is to loose, now it's chaos! The problem with osvaldo is ego, he's selfish and makes poor decisions. I still think he's our best player in terms of touch and control. However everyone says it takes time to adapt to the league...he's played a handful of games and he gets 1 start up front on his own at Chelsea and doesn't do well. If that was the kind of chance everyone was given Wes be buying a new striker every week.

For me, when playing a big team away, J Rod should play up top, as the other 2 aren't able to.

He was getting slagged off after he played up front by himself away to United as well. Mental.

Wow. Our fans seem to have forgotten what it is to loose, now it's chaos! The problem with osvaldo is ego, he's selfish and makes poor decisions. I still think he's our best player in terms of touch and control.

I think it's a combination of the two. Decision making was undoubtedly his biggest problem (taking Azpilicueta round the outside, that shot from outside the box towards the end) but sometimes, even when the 'selfish' option was perfectly reasonable, he just didn't have the class to make it happen. Rather strange because he had more space today than in most of his previous games.

Start him up front, alone, against Aston Villa and let's see what he can do. We'll have far more of the ball, more runs from midfield and (unlike the majority of his appearances this season) he'll be in his preferred position.

Woudl like to see him get a chance when we are rolling over likes of fulham and Hull at home.

Starting at Utd and Chelsea away is tough. Confidence is everything with strikers.

Not impressive start but embarrassing people saying get rid.

This thread is an example of why this forum has been correctly dubbed the mongboard. 3 months ago people were begging him to sign, desperate for him to join us and saying how brilliant he was despite it being likely that they had never seen him play, or perhaps even heard of him up until that point. Now 10 games in, because he hasn't been brilliant from day one people want shot of him and are slagging him off. This after a pretty poor attacking display from the entire team away at one of the favourites for the title who haven't lost at home in ages.

This thread is an example of why this forum has been correctly dubbed the mongboard. 3 months ago people were begging him to sign, desperate for him to join us and saying how brilliant he was despite it being likely that they had never seen him play, or perhaps even heard of him up until that point. Now 10 games in, because he hasn't been brilliant from day one people want shot of him and are slagging him off. This after a pretty poor attacking display from the entire team away at one of the favourites for the title who haven't lost at home in ages.

Exactly Richard

The people who stick up for Osvaldo are probably the same ones who would be calling him a waste of money if another team had paid £15m for him...

He's been massively underwhelming so far.

No, I think the ones that stick up for him are fans who want to support their team and their players. No more, no less.

The people who stick up for Osvaldo are probably the same ones who would be calling him a waste of money if another team had paid £15m for him...

so was Morgan when he first joined, should have shipped him out after half a season too.

Amen brother.

No denying he has been disappointing so far, apart from fleeting signs of quality.

Got to love the experts on here calling him sh!t.

I think Pochettino has done earn to earn a bit of trust so far. He will know Osvaldo better than anyone on here, and if he deemed him worthy of being purchased then we should really be giving the guy a bit more time.

Do people really not understand that not all players come to a new league and light the place up from the first minute. There are of course exceptions, but they are just that - exceptions, certainly not the rule.

I never thought of myself as the most patient of people, but blimey. The petulance and impatience of some on here is just baffling.

As Turks has correctly pointed out, it was a poor attacking performance on the whole, against a team likely to be very strong contenders for the title - who havn't lost at home under Jose in the league ever.

Must be all the expensive foreigners fault. Ship him out and buy a good old fashioned Brit.

:mcinnes:

No, I think the ones that stick up for him are fans who want to support their team and their players. No more, no less.

Tis.

Quite unlikely that someone who is regularly playing for Italy is a complete ****e. There are examples of players with a big price tag that have started to blossom only after the first or even after the second season in the prem (etc. Drogba). In Pochettino we trust.

100% this

I just feel he needs a proper run in the side, in a settled formation to pick up patterns of play, learn how others play and to know when and where they will play passes. So far he's had an injury, been part of a front 2, up front on his own, a bit part sub and that's bound to affect someone who is still settling in. If he'd been here througout pre season I feel that would've really helped but now it's about staying in the team and getting a goal or 2 will do him the world of good in terms of confidence.

I would still like to see how he would do alongside someone like Gaston who I feel would be on a similar wavelength but Gaston seems massively out of favour so he will need to learn to fit alongside the others and that will only come with games.

We'd be quicker to say he's been poor but calling someone a waste of money is something else. I'd keep that label for the likes of Torres, Carroll and Chris Samba, not players who've played 9 games.

Amen brother.

No denying he has been disappointing so far, apart from fleeting signs of quality.

Got to love the experts on here calling him sh!t.

I think Pochettino has done earn to earn a bit of trust so far. He will know Osvaldo better than anyone on here, and if he deemed him worthy of being purchased then we should really be giving the guy a bit more time.

Do people really not understand that not all players come to a new league and light the place up from the first minute. There are of course exceptions, but they are just that - exceptions, certainly not the rule.

I never thought of myself as the most patient of people, but blimey. The petulance and impatience of some on here is just baffling.

As Turks has correctly pointed out, it was a poor attacking performance on the whole, against a team likely to be very strong contenders for the title - who havn't lost at home under Jose in the league ever.

Must be all the expensive foreigners fault. Ship him out and buy a good old fashioned Brit.

:mcinnes:

Not saying we should 'ship him out', but surely this is the place to criticise a poor performance?

Not saying we should 'ship him out', but surely this is the place to criticise a poor performance?

He wasn't very good, but neither were the rest of the front 4. Apart from the goal which was due to a mistake we never claim remotely close to troubling Their keeper. Not all Osvaldos fault.

Does there really need to be a thread on every player?

If it just a poor performance - just say he was poor on the post-match thread. He was far from being the only player that had a poor game today - why is there no Lallana thread, or JWP etc?

As I said, he has been disappointing so far - and today he wasn't good at all.

Criticising a poor performance is one thing, but that isn't all that is being said here is it? There are people already calling him a poor signing, waste of money and calling him sh!te - this an Italian international striker.

There's quite a difference there really, isn't there?

He was poor but we didn't create nearly enough. Lallana had on off day (is he carrying a slight knock or injury?). Lambert wasn't on the pitch for most of the game. Chelsea crowded out JWP, so few crosses. The missing piece of the jigsaw is the no 10 that Ramirez evidently isn't. Hope we get someone in in January.

I've not seen anything he's done that warrants him getting picked ahead of Lambert to start any game to be honest. Having said that, I can see why he gets picked for tough away games to stretch the opposition but he just doesn't do it for me at the moment. We would be better off with Lambert playing or 70 and then Osvaldo coming on.

He wasn't very good, but neither were the rest of the front 4. Apart from the goal which was due to a mistake we never claim remotely close to troubling Their keeper. Not all Osvaldos fault.

Exactly.

You would think he squandered all those wonderful chances our enterprising play created. Oh wait a minute he didn't because we did not create a thing.

The fact is against the top sides we lack the creativity and quality from all of the front 4. Ward Prowse was awful perhaps he should have a thread now.

Well put

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

When RL came on he had composure on the ball and linked the midfield to the front. We miss his skill

To be fair, this is nonsense - he was just as anonymous as Osvaldo.

Either way, the fact that Osvaldo/Lambert are getting slagged off by anyone is ****ing astonishing. There'll be at least 10 other teams in this division that get nothing at either Arsenal or Chelsea (let alone OT/Anfield) - we competed well for a good hour in both those games and I reckon everyone on here would've settled for that in August.

Either way, the fact that Osvaldo/Lambert are getting slagged off by anyone is ****ing astonishing. There'll be at least 10 other teams in this division that get nothing at either Arsenal or Chelsea (let alone OT/Anfield) - we competed well for a good hour in both those games and I reckon everyone on here would've settled for that in August.

Someone said on another thread (possibly Pap?) that had we taken 4 points from Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool & Chelsea away in 4 draws it would be seen as a good return.

Instead, we have had a couple of losses and suddenly the place stinks of sodden nappies again.

Go figure.

Rickie had a poor game last week - had he started and had a bad game again it would have been "why didn't Osvaldo play?!"

Someone said on another thread (possibly Pap?) that had we taken 4 points from Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool & Chelsea away in 4 draws it would be seen as a good return.

Instead, we have had a couple of losses and suddenly the place stinks of sodden nappies again.

Go figure.

Have those other teams been putting such **** as this up for the National ridicule? The press love this, build them up and knock them down, my football team is being used to fill sports pages and being used as a piñata in waiting, trust me its what they do.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2515877/Southampton-masterplan-win-Premier-League.html

We are simply putting ourselves out there to be slapped and the external comms at the club need a fu cking huge slap.

Edited by Barry Sanchez

We haven't got time for osvaldo to regain his confidence,he's not a young lad, he should be the finished article and being an Italian national player he should be used to the pressures of the big game.....today he was awful,I don't think I heard his name mentioned more than once and to me he doesn't look good at all,he doesn't look comfortable.

To be honest, we're not really creating many chances for our strikers. Difficult to judge them, we ask a lot of them in terms of defensive work and helping the team but means they are often getting the ball too deep to be effective. Rickie is a better play maker so can be effective deeper but feel that Osvaldo is struggling because he trying to make an impression in all the wrong places, trying to make something happen.

Have those other teams been putting such **** as this up for the National ridicule? The press love this, build them up and knock them down, my football team is being used to fill sports pages and being used as a piñata in waiting, trust me its what they do.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2515877/Southampton-masterplan-win-Premier-League.html

We are simply putting ourselves out there to be slapped and the external comms at the club need a fu cking huge slap.

Behave Barry, it is a defeat at Chelsea not friggin Bury or Grimsby.

Osvaldo was awful today - I just don't get what he is trying to do. He wants an extra touch always but there just isn't the time for it in the Prem.

If Gaston wasn't up to it on last season's performances then Osvaldo has a long long way to go to merit a place in the team. Very disappointed.

Well put

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

No it isn't.

What actually happened was that the large majority of fans were excited because we had signed a current Italian international striker and the third top scorer in Serie A. Now I, like many on here, had seen little if any of his play, however given those credentials, we could all have been forgiven for thinking he could play a bit. Afterall, the club had clearly done extensive research and decided he was worth a club record fee.

What is happening now is not people writing him off after 10 games because he "wasn't brilliant from day 1". That's the Turkish version events. Make something stupid up, claim that people supported this argument and then ridicule them for it with an aura of superior intellect.

In actual fact this thread is people expressing doubts over his performances so far because he has displayed little if anything to suggest he is a €15m player.

Hope this clears things up.

No it isn't.

What actually happened was that the large majority of fans were excited because we had signed a current Italian international striker and the third top scorer in Serie A. Now I, like many on here, had seen little if any of his play, however given those credentials, we could all have been forgiven for thinking he could play a bit. Afterall, the club had clearly done extensive research and decided he was worth a club record fee.

What is happening now is not people writing him off after 10 games because he "wasn't brilliant from day 1". That's the Turkish version events. Make something stupid up, claim that people supported this argument and then ridicule them for it with an aura of superior intellect.

In actual fact this thread is people expressing doubts over his performances so far because he has displayed little if anything to suggest he is a €15m player.

Hope this clears things up.

You sure you've read the thread pal? Apparently he doesn't clap the fans, which as we all know is a prerequisite of a fans favourite, along with those all important qualities of oace and passion. He argues all the time with his team mates and quite few have already written him off and called him ****, bit more than people expressing doubts pal. Maybe if you read the thread it would clear things up.

Total crap. No positional sense, greedy, bad tempted, petulant , all fart and no ****, lazy, slow, non team player , moaner, thinks he's better than what he is.

I never thought IDE ever say this. But I actually think Danny fox is a overall better player.

Regardless of it being to soon to judge its clear he will never light any fires whilst in a saints shirt.

You sure you've read the thread pal? Apparently he doesn't clap the fans, which as we all know is a prerequisite of a fans favourite, along with those all important qualities of oace and passion. He argues all the time with his team mates and quite few have already written him off and called him ****, bit more than people expressing doubts pal. Maybe if you read the thread it would clear things up.

To be fair turks, Ive just read the thread, and its 10 minutes of my life that I wont get back.

fwiw, I thought Osvaldo looked promising today, against a side who never seem to lose at home. He got about as much service as an ugly bird in an italian restaurant, so cant really blame him. He had a few nice touches, maybe should have done better with that second half chance, which for a moment I thought was looping in over Cech.

Total crap. No positional sense, greedy, bad tempted, petulant , all fart and no ****, lazy, slow, non team player , moaner, thinks he's better than what he is.

I never thought IDE ever say this. But I actually think Danny fox is a overall better player.

Regardless of it being to soon to judge its clear he will never light any fires whilst in a saints shirt.

There's an edit function if you'd like to reconsider this one.

Exactly.

You would think he squandered all those wonderful chances our enterprising play created. Oh wait a minute he didn't because we did not create a thing.

The fact is against the top sides we lack the creativity and quality from all of the front 4. Ward Prowse was awful perhaps he should have a thread now.

Ward Prouse and Lallana had AN off day granted but Osvaldo doesn't seem to have even one good day. He was brought in to improve us but clearly hasn't. To even begin to compare him with some of bright enterprising hard working skillful locals is certainly stretching a point on the evidence so far on view. There will need to be quite a dramatic improvement from Osvaldo if he going to improve this team..... We need to step

It up if we are to compete with the big boys in this league and Osvaldo yet again did not look as though he can do that......

Wow, all these sensitive souls on here who can't stand any criticism of Osvaldo. The has yet to have even a reasonable performance, lrt alone a good one. But heaven forbid if anyone points that out. Instead some on this board tell us that Ricky has had bad matched too. This is true, but we didn't pay the same massive amount for him that we did for this guy. He may have skills (although he hasn't shown them yet in a Saints shirt) but so far he is proving to be a waste of space in the team and a giant waste of money. I always want any of our players to succeed, but if they are not a fit for saints we should not just close our eyes to that fact and get ****y with those that "dare" to tell it like it is.