Dani Osvaldo

Glasgow_Saint

expensive bit part player

BUT

i was talking to an ex chelsea player recently and he said the transition from serie a to the prem is tough as the game is so different so maybe he'll start to come good in the next couple of months....i hope so, we need a ruthless goal scorer....and maybe injuries haven't helped

Personally a little disappointed.

Think the fact that injuries have stopped him getting a decent run in the side have had a big effect on him settling in.

Looking at how Rodriguez has gotten better and better since he started getting regular time on the pitch, I think Osvaldo is well worth persisting with, because it feels like he has the attributes he needs to be better than him.

expensive bit part player

BUT

i was talking to an ex chelsea player recently and he said the transition from serie a to the prem is tough as the game is so different so maybe he'll start to come good in the next couple of months....i hope so, we need a ruthless goal scorer....and maybe injuries haven't helped

Started a very good debate about Italy to Prem and the problems players have adapting. Some examples where players have made the move easily, but in the main examples are limited especially recent ones.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?47486-Serie-A-to-Premiership-success-stories/page2#.UpD7QX8gGK0

Begs the question: why do we insist on targetting players from the Italian leagues?

Started a very good debate about Italy to Prem and the problems players have adapting. Some examples where players have made the move easily, but in the main examples are limited especially recent ones.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?47486-Serie-A-to-Premiership-success-stories/page2#.UpD7QX8gGK0

Begs the question: why do we insist on targetting players from the Italian leagues?

Do we?

We've signed as many players from Scotland...

Edited by shurlock

I think the simple fact has always been that its him or Lambert and in all honesty, I think Osvaldo looks better than Lambert in most every technical aspect of his game.

Lambert though has been decent recently to be fair and I'm usually his harshest critic. Definitely worth persevering with Osvaldo IMO because he hasn't done an awful lot wrong in my eyes, just hasn't had the extended run necessary and has missed games like Fulham and Hull at home where I'm fairly certain he'd have helped himself to one or two which would have made his goalscoring record look a lot better than it is.

I like him as a player but we do not play to his strengths.

If the rumours of him being unsettled and off in January are true then I hope we get someone in more suitable

We're not really giving him a chance. Agree - we don't play to his strengths.

Today he came on and our most creative player went off. Strange decision.

Hope he stays and we actually make use of him as a lone striker. He'll shine then.

Started a very good debate about Italy to Prem and the problems players have adapting

Adapting from Serie A to the Prem is one thing, coming to a club where fitness levels are through the roof and your new team-mates have had a preseason together and a month of double training sessions means you're on catch-up straight away. Not to mention the culture/city lifestyle shock when you've moved from Rome!

Adapting from Serie A to the Prem is one thing, coming to a club where fitness levels are through the roof and your new team-mates have had a preseason together and a month of double training sessions means you're on catch-up straight away. Not to mention the culture/city lifestyle shock when you've moved from Rome!

Hmm. Normally I am inclined to agree but then the same thing was said of Ramirez last year...

Difference this time is Osvaldo knew what he was getting into having played under Poch before, Ramirez has never shown that desire and also missed most of pre-season and so started the season already miles behind. I've seen a little more desire in Osvaldo to suggest he 'could' yet come good.

3 posts and out.

He was awful today. Tried to cheat for a penalty, was *****ing every time he didn't get a pass, was mostly static, constantly fouled the arsenal players, ballsed up a couple of simple passes, and couldn't hold the ball up, just wants to get the ball facing goal and try and run and shoot even if there are better options.

Not writing him off yet, but if it is a choice upfront between him and Lambert there is no choice, I'm not even sure he could play up top by himself. I hope I'm wrong but looking at his body language I can see him being a negative influence on the team. Roma sure are not missing him !

He hasn't even played double figures of games for us, yet he's going to fail apparently. You're one of these annoying modern day fans who want everything ''now, now, now!!!!!!''. i.e spoilt brats.

Wind your neck in.

And still he´s the one screaming for signings in EVERY transfer window....go figure..

I don't think it helped him at all that Pochettino had effectively dismantled our midfield by the time he came on, leaving three up front competing for not very much space and less built-up delivery.

Osvaldo fits within our style much better than Ramirez, and I'm optimistic that he'll ultimately make a significant contribution - if he wants to. I underline the last part because some of his body language concerns me.

For me, Osvaldo is an immense talent waiting to explode in the Premiership.

The secret though is for MP to be able to unlock whatever is in the players head to motivate him. (rather like Cantona, above average at Leeds, but it took Ferguson - and sad to say- perhaps a bigger stage for it to happen).

As much as I want to see him to reach his potential with us, I can't get away from the simple home truth that he simply does not want to be here, ultimately we were the only ones offering a safe passage out of Roma.

Now prove me wrong, starting at Chelsea.

For me, Osvaldo is an immense talent waiting to explode in the Premiership.

The secret though is for MP to be able to unlock whatever is in the players head to motivate him. (rather like Cantona, above average at Leeds, but it took Ferguson - and sad to say- perhaps a bigger stage for it to happen).

As much as I want to see him to reach his potential with us, I can't get away from the simple home truth that he simply does not want to be here, ultimately we were the only ones offering a safe passage out of Roma.

Now prove me wrong, starting at Chelsea.

Your right he doesn't want to be here and the move reeks of a quick escape from roma, along with Gaston we will never see the best from them because their minds and hearts are elsewhere

Your right he doesn't want to be here and the move reeks of a quick escape from roma, along with Gaston we will never see the best from them because their minds and hearts are elsewhere

Not sure that is necessarily fair on Gaston to be honest. His style, our style may not fit, but I have never felt he came simply because he had no other option and had to.

Gaston came here as we paid him the most. The other club interested in Osvaldo was Fulham

I don't recall another club seriously in the race for GR, but may be wrong.

Fulham, though linked at one point in the press, were not in contention as I understood they were not prepared to meet Roma's valuation of the player. Had Fulham matched it, then I expect the attraction of the glitzy lights of London would have swayed this and DO would not be with us now.

He hasn't even played double figures of games for us, yet he's going to fail apparently. You're one of these annoying modern day fans who want everything ''now, now, now!!!!!!''. i.e spoilt brats.

Wind your neck in.

Why so brittle when Osvaldo is criticised ?

He has most definately been poor so far.....

There is nothing to suggest that this will change next week or next month or how long exactly do you give him ?

The worrying thing is for me that he doesn't control the ball and pass to a team mate - he invariably loses possession. Watching him closely today the problem is that he doesn't get his Head up - he is permantly looking down. This results in him hanging onto the ball too long and getting the ball taken off him..... Invariably this kind of weekness cannot be cured or helped With 'more time' - at his age it's a permanent problem.....

Edited by captainchris

Why so brittle when Osvaldo is criticised ?

He has most definately been poor so far.....

There is nothing to suggest that this will change next week or next month or how long exactly do you give him ?

The worrying thing is for me that he doesn't control the ball and pass to a team mate - he invariably loses possession. Watching him closely today the problem is that he doesn't get his Head up - he is permantly looking down. This results in him hanging onto the ball too long and getting the ball taken off him..... Invariably this kind of weekness cannot be cured or helped With 'more time' - at his age it's a permanent problem.....

Why so brittle? He's played less than 10 games for us, and people are writing him off. It's stupid, and misguided. But it seems to be the modern-day way of thinking.

I mean, we had threads saying that Rodriguez was a waste of money 4 weeks after we'd signed him last year, contributed to by the same people. It's just plain odd, do they want to make themselves look silly when he inevitably starts putting the ball in the net?

Why should players feel obliged to clap the fans?

Maybe he hates it here and can't wait to get back to Italy, so doesn't see any point in taking part in all that fan-clapping twaddle.

No but he doesn't even shake hands with the opposing players at the final whistle. Yesterday he just ran off (quicker than at any stage during the game too). I am losing patience with him, square peg in a round hole, a bit like Ramirez. £25m up the Swanee.