Dani Osvaldo

Glasgow_Saint

Personally I think yesterday would have suited Osvaldo better than Lambert. Arsenal's defence is really solid at the moment and we needed some flair and creativity to get round them. Only other player offering that was Rodriguez today. I would have him in for Chelsea.

No but he doesn't even shake hands with the opposing players at the final whistle. Yesterday he just ran off (quicker than at any stage during the game too). I am losing patience with him, square peg in a round hole, a bit like Ramirez. £25m up the Swanee.

I agree he's a misfit here.

The obligation now to clap fans is as crass as the one that says you shouldn't celebrate goals against your old club.

IMO I think we have a great team at the mo and out front line particularly is packed with players with a lot to prove. Some who we've seen do it and others who have yet to fully impress. Id be interested to see this

Boruc

Clyne Lovren Fonte Shaw

Wanyama Schneiderlin

Gaston

JWP Osvaldo Lallana

Options then to reshuffle JWP could fall back Steve Davis or 'impact sub' lambert are both players who arguably should start but can steady the ship into forward motion if the work rate of gaston doesn't quite give te first hour as expected. However I think with enough speed from the full backs and solidity in the centre we'd hold out ok to try it?

He needs to get a few games in a run, we're known for laying a particular system and he's getting very little time playing that system in competitive matches. Lambert has been struggling to make an impact lately and it seems a perfect time to give osvaldo a few starts. Not all new signings settle into the team by being given substitute appearances every couple of weeks, he needs to build a chemistry with players like JRod and Lallana. If he gets that chance for four or five straight matches and can't make anything of it, then we'll be in more of a position to judge.

JRod has been given infinite patience, he has played regularly since he arrived, despite having a scoring record worse than Ramirez. He went through long periods having little or no impact, but is only lately starting to look like a player even close to the value we paid. Let's give osvaldo a bit of a chance too. Wanyama started pretty poorly too, but MP stuck with him and the more he started, the more he started to look like the real deal.

Judge him when he's played up top with Lallana and Jay around him.

I am am surprised people doubt his ability. He is a great footballer.

Not sure his ability is in doubt, just his state of mind, and motivation.

I actually think he could come good, and be a sensation for us, but it depends if he wants to be. MP has to unlock that ambition in Osvaldo's head for it to happen.

Edited by Badger

Personally I think yesterday would have suited Osvaldo better than Lambert. Arsenal's defence is really solid at the moment and we needed some flair and creativity to get round them. Only other player offering that was Rodriguez today. I would have him in for Chelsea.

Agreed.

He plays like a top level world class player, only runs when the ball's in the attacking third (which doesn't suit our style), and flounces about everything. That would be fine if he hadn't passed the ball straight at the keeper when he did get a chance.

Needs to either work harder, score more, or stop bloody moaning. Clearly has a pile of talent but Arsenal away might not be the place to see it at this stage of his adaptation. Reminds me a lot of Balotelli in the way he only becomes active when Saints are attacking though, not my favourite thing in modern football.

Where's all this talk about him not wanting to be here come from?

Reported after he signed that clubs had agreed the fee and deal at the end of May, he signed when ? Late August after other clubs reported interest failed to materialise.

Some very odd comments on this thread. I wonder if you guys actually watch the matches?

Having seen him at home several times he does press high up the pitch and works hard to close defenders down. In this respect he's better than Lambert in my opinion.

His touch is first class. Possibly the most technically gifted player we have.

He doesn't seem to lack passion, far from it. Anyone who has seen him celebrate a goal will know what I mean. He seems to want to win and be part of a successful club - admirable traits IMO. Therefore it's understandable that he's not happy when we lose, especially when he wasn't able to affect the team very much due to being kept out by a very good in form Lambert (I do question the person above who said Lambert is out of form - unless of course form equates to just one match now).

I'm excited to have him at the club and think he has what it takes to go on a very good scoring run once he gets his chance, provided he can stay injury and niggle free. He has not yet had this opportunity.

Some very odd comments on this thread. I wonder if you guys actually watch the matches?

Having seen him at home several times he does press high up the pitch and works hard to close defenders down. In this respect he's better than Lambert in my opinion.

His touch is first class. Possibly the most technically gifted player we have.

He doesn't seem to lack passion, far from it. Anyone who has seen him celebrate a goal will know what I mean. He seems to want to win and be part of a successful club - admirable traits IMO. Therefore it's understandable that he's not happy when we lose, especially when he wasn't able to affect the team very much due to being kept out by a very good in form Lambert (I do question the person above who said Lambert is out of form - unless of course form equates to just one match now).

I'm excited to have him at the club and think he has what it takes to go on a very good scoring run once he gets his chance, provided he can stay injury and niggle free. He has not yet had this opportunity.

Obviously a class player but when he gets chances he seems to be mistiming his shot or not lifting it or lifting it too much. Compared to say Aguero or Negredo he isn't very efficient as of yet. Those 2 bury everything that comes their way. City had 10 shots on target yesterday and scored 6 goals.

Don't quite understand where any of these reports about him being unhappy here are coming from, to me they seem completely unsubstantiated. After a couple of weeks there was one report in the paper saying he wanted to leave which he publicly denied and everyone else seems to be clinging on to that. If his partners twitter is anything to go by (yes I'm sad enough to follow her) then they seem to be incredibly happy. In terms of his ability, I don't think anyone can deny he has talent. Time now to give him an extended run in the side and see if he can translate that talent into performances for us.

Obviously a class player but when he gets chances he seems to be mistiming his shot or not lifting it or lifting it too much. Compared to say Aguero or Negredo he isn't very efficient as of yet. Those 2 bury everything that comes their way. City had 10 shots on target yesterday and scored 6 goals.

I've been disappointed by his contribution so far, but if we're judging him by their standards he'll never be good enough.

I've been disappointed by his contribution so far, but if we're judging him by their standards he'll never be good enough.

but we should be doing exactly that, our strikers should be as good as theirs, perhaps we'd have less of them but if you want to compete with the best you need the best players. To me there is no point in spending 16 million on a striker who doesn't start nigh on every game or scores from about 1 chance in every 5 or 6. You might as well throw in another 5 or 6 million and get someone who scores in virtually every other game. We need to start Osvaldo in every game for which he is fit and if that means chucking Lambert onto the scrap heap then so be it.

It takes time to settle and I'm fairly sure he must feel a bit of a pr*'k as he hasn't got on the scoresheet more than once.

We've played 12 Prem. games so far ...he's been selected (from start) six times and has been subbed twice. He's come on as a late sub. 3 times = 1 goal.

Disappointing? ..yes, but not totally unexpected. The Prem. is not Italy, (faster and much more physical ) and we don't play the same way as he's been used to.

If we're still having the same discussion after the New Year, I'll be a bit more disatisfied, but he's not the only " big buy " in the Prem. who's finding it hard to adjust.

If it were only money, then there would be a lot to moan about but in the present set-up he doesn't have anyone to play off.

I wouldn't drop Rickie in favour of him, but maybe he could form a strike partnership with Jay Rod? .... .after all there are 26 Prem. games left.

but we should be doing exactly that, our strikers should be as good as theirs, perhaps we'd have less of them but if you want to compete with the best you need the best players. To me there is no point in spending 16 million on a striker who doesn't start nigh on every game or scores from about 1 chance in every 5 or 6. You might as well throw in another 5 or 6 million and get someone who scores in virtually every other game. We need to start Osvaldo in every game for which he is fit and if that means chucking Lambert onto the scrap heap then so be it.

Well, no - he should be anywhere between 33% and 62.5% as good, so he's only a brace off the pace...

He really just needs a solid run in the first team, in my opinion.

He hasn't had that yet, so it's hard to make any real judgement on him just yet. I do think there is bound to be a period of adjustment, which is normal (despite some seeming to refute this). I also do think it means Rickie should sacrifice his place in the team for a bit. He could probably do with a rest, and knowing Rickie he will probably work harder and score a hat-trick at his next chance. Not for one minute am I suggesting we should get rid of Rickie, or he has no role to play.

I do however, disagree that he isn't used to the system - surely the main reason for him coming here was the MP connection - so Osvaldo should be pretty aware of how MP plays and his role in the team.

I largely think Gaston's problem has also been the lack of a real good run in the team, certainly over the past 12 months. It's hard to make a real impression when you are in and out of the team so much and not getting game time.

He really just needs a solid run in the first team, in my opinion.

He hasn't had that yet, so it's hard to make any real judgement on him just yet. I do think there is bound to be a period of adjustment, which is normal (despite some seeming to refute this). I also do think it means Rickie should sacrifice his place in the team for a bit. He could probably do with a rest, and knowing Rickie he will probably work harder and score a hat-trick at his next chance. Not for one minute am I suggesting we should get rid of Rickie, or he has no role to play.

I do however, disagree that he isn't used to the system - surely the main reason for him coming here was the MP connection - so Osvaldo should be pretty aware of how MP plays and his role in the team.

I largely think Gaston's problem has also been the lack of a real good run in the team, certainly over the past 12 months. It's hard to make a real impression when you are in and out of the team so much and not getting game time.

Hopefully now with no more internationals until March we'll be seeing some more consistent performances from our away all the time internationals. I think 3 international breaks in 3 months of football can only produce stuttering performances from those trying to adapt to new surroundings.

Hopefully now with no more internationals until March we'll be seeing some more consistent performances from our away all the time internationals. I think 3 international breaks in 3 months of football can only produce stuttering performances from those trying to adapt to new surroundings.

Yeah, I hadn't really thought about that, but I would most definitely be inclined to agree.

Ossie has (eerily thinking about it so did Gaston) picked up a few niggles here and there as well.

It's frustrating, and I hope we do see more from him (both if I'm honest) soon. But it does strike me as very early to be sharpening the knives just yet.

has he been moaning? I have honestly completely missed that. Where was he moaning and what did he say?

On the pitch on Saturday, over and over again every time he wasn't passed the ball. The few times he did get it he was no more or less productive than anyone else, and the one decent chance he had he finished awfully under little pressure.

His little tantrums are embarrasing and not keeping with the rest of the teams spirit and togetherness

OsWaldo was not popular with players or fans at Roma and had a fresh start here, just seems he's carried all that negativity with him and seems intent on creating another team/fan divide.

Strikes me as a Berbatov type (without the skill) Keep Calm And Pass Me The Ball! Pending

His little tantrums are embarrasing and not keeping with the rest of the teams spirit and togetherness

OsWaldo was not popular with players or fans at Roma and had a fresh start here, just seems he's carried all that negativity with him and seems intent on creating another team/fan divide.

Strikes me as a Berbatov type (without the skill) Keep Calm And Pass Me The Ball! Pending

McInnes or facepalm? Pick your poison....

My Italian mates here told me that one of the reasons the Roma fans hate him is because he used to drive round in a car done out in the colours of the Argentina flag with pictures of Maradona on the doors.He is also supposed to be a disruptive influence. However they all agreed that he is a top quality striker and def one of the main men going into next years World Cup.They cant understand why he came to Saints when he couldve got a bigger club (in their eyes).

On the pitch on Saturday, over and over again every time he wasn't passed the ball. The few times he did get it he was no more or less productive than anyone else, and the one decent chance he had he finished awfully under little pressure.

I agree with this, thought it was noticeable several times on Saturday , like a spoilt child having a tantrum, he needs to realise those other players have taken us from league one to top 4 of the Premier league and he needs to earn the right to get in the side.

he also looked greedy on the ball, perhaps desperate to impress , but for me he is yet to show enough to claim a place in the starting XI and has similarities to Ramirez.

a friend of mine at work (Italian) watches a lot of serie A games and said Osvaldo will have a fight with one of his own players at some point this season, lets hope Pochettinos experience of managing him in the past will help control him.

Maybe (probably) making 2 + 2 = 5, but there are a couple of threads on this page from the Sun and mentioning Diego. What if the Osvaldo rumours have some substance and Atletico Madrid are interested, maybe the Sun have the wrong Diego:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_da_Silva_Costa

Maybe a swap deal in the offing??

Just thinking aloud.

No but he doesn't even shake hands with the opposing players at the final whistle. Yesterday he just ran off (quicker than at any stage during the game too). I am losing patience with him, square peg in a round hole, a bit like Ramirez. £25m up the Swanee.

Agenda.Our resident cut and paste "Author" is losing patience with him.

Edited by manji