All the Saints Book Launch Holiday Inn

9-3

Thanks 9-3, sorry didn't get to chat longer , it was very busy. When I left at midnight, MLT, Franny, Jim Steele, Hughie Fisher, Glenn Cockerill etc were still in the bar, so I think they enjoyed it as well. Jim Steele was the star although I thought David Hughes hit the nail on the head during his interview talking about in reality it is the fans who actually spiritually own the club. I also thought Gordon Watson also came across really well, he has really taken Southampton to his heart. A good night. Duncan

Thanks 9-3, sorry didn't get to chat longer , it was very busy. When I left at midnight, MLT, Franny, Jim Steele, Hughie Fisher, Glenn Cockerill etc were still in the bar, so I think they enjoyed it as well. Jim Steele was the star although I thought David Hughes hit the nail on the head during his interview talking about in reality it is the fans who actually spiritually own the club. I also thought Gordon Watson also came across really well, he has really taken Southampton to his heart. A good night. Duncan

Totally agree about Flash, saw him taking Bryn Elliott back home when I was leaving which was really good of him. Seemed to be looking after the old fella, really top man.

Great evening had a good catch up with Tim Manns and his Dad and a few others that I had not seen for a long time. Agree with all what's been said above and think Steele could host an evening with an audience alone he always makes me laugh with his stories the freckle one had me crying with laughter. Look forward to reading the book. Thanks to all concerned and really hope it is not going to be the last book.

Just because it is about saints that does not give ita divine right to be sold in the club shop. I assume the profit margin does not make stocking it worthwhile. The space may be used for items that give the club more revenue. Tough though that is after the work gone into the book,the club have to look after their own revenue streams.

Old Nick - the book was produced in conjunction with the club (as all our book have been since 1998), it has their logo in it, they supported it throughout and were extremely helpful in terms of publicity and access to present day players and photographs. In the years 2003-2009 the club made over £60,000 from selling our books through their outlets. Something happened a few weeks ago which I won't go into now which caused them to tell us they would not be stocking this book.

Waterstones have taken a delivery of 1000, so it should be easy to find if you live locally and of course it can be picked up from any of our houses, Eastleigh, Otterbourne or Bristol at a fiver off. Also we hope to be selling it via Andrew Murray's programme shop in Northam Rd on match days.

It was a great night. All the ex players were very warm and keen to chat. Loved hearing Jim Steele, he was very funny and told loads of stories. Flash was a great guy and I would love to hear more from him.

David Hughes comments about Saints and the fans was roundly applauded. I would love to go to another event like this to hear more tales and I'm sure it would be a sell out and as busy like Friday.

Reading the book it is excellent and I hope it is a success.

Old Nick - the book was produced in conjunction with the club (as all our book have been since 1998), it has their logo in it, they supported it throughout and were extremely helpful in terms of publicity and access to present day players and photographs. In the years 2003-2009 the club made over £60,000 from selling our books through their outlets. Something happened a few weeks ago which I won't go into now which caused them to tell us they would not be stocking this book.

Waterstones have taken a delivery of 1000, so it should be easy to find if you live locally and of course it can be picked up from any of our houses, Eastleigh, Otterbourne or Bristol at a fiver off. Also we hope to be selling it via Andrew Murray's programme shop in Northam Rd on match days.

Interesting,so it's not about margins but politics I assume

Interesting,so it's not about margins but politics I assume

Presume it will have something to do with Franny or Matty being invited/involved in the launch and the club taking umbrage.

if that is the case, then it is ridiculously petty on behalf of the Club, and I presume a real spanner in the works for the Hagiology lads who might now struggle to shift enough copies to break even (and therefore putting at risk any other "decent" books on our Club).

I'm loving our on the pitch performances, just wish we could match that off the pitch, as I simply don't see it as an either/or choice.

Presume Duncan, Gary, David et al are a tad miffed at all this.

Um you are very near - it will be the end of hagiology. Recouping the 55,000 pounds is going to be hard work without the help of the club.

The club whose history this and your other books represent and cherish for posterity.

Its pathetic, for all the good on the pitch as Um says the club should hang its head in shame for this.

Not being able to buy a club's history book or books in its own shops ? Ridiculous.

Just to clarify a few things for the benefit of my stalker Once Bitterne

The idea to arrange a launch with the ex-Saints was conceived about three years ago between its then secretary Tim Manns and David Bull. It seemed fairly logical as we were both helping each other track down players. It was nothing to do with me. About 3 months ago as David was up to his eyes in editing he asked me to continue with the organisation of the launch. Initially we wanted to have it at Paul Bennett's in Thornhill (East Point) but Mike Thew of the ex Saints, then suggested asking the club as he thought it might be the ideal chance to all unite under one roof. I was aware there could be a conflict with certain individuals but assumed as the launch was not being hosted by the club there wouldn't be a problem. Obviously I was wrong. Prior to Friday night I had never met or spoken to Francis Benali. If anyone thinks I engineered this row on purpose perhaps they should sneak a look at my bank balance - it is the last thing I want. Up to now I have enjoyed the best relationship with the club then ever before but obviously the club now seemingly holds Hagiology to blame for the way things have turned out. Probably in hindsight the only way out of this dilemma would have been to have not had a launch at all but then when we had the book signings that too could have caused a problem. perhaps it would have been better not to have written the book at all. I am very proud of it and it is better by a long chalk than anything previously published. It's a labour of love which sadly has become tarnished.

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella

Sooooo disappointing that with some of our best performances in recent years we have to be so petty and vindictive off it. Fingers crossed those involved with Hagiology don't get their fingers burnt here. Hopefully the wider Saints community can come together to help them out.

Another PR disaster for Cortese.

Shame because he's done a hell of a lot for the club. But this is petty.

PR disaster. in that the echo MIGHT pick up on it?

lets see on sat if they talk about it on soccer sat. or if any of the rags talk about it

It is a difficult one. I am torn with loyalty to the club but also the plight of fellow fans. It may seem that FB court case is the background to it all. Knowing the situation with FB and Nc it would have been prudent to have a word in his ear and ask him not to be available on the night. I'm sure he would have understood.

If you want to know why the club are not stocking this excellent book go the the UI site. It's heartbreaking that the club I love is run by such weasels.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/forum/95736/why-saints-arent-selling-the-new-all-the-saints-book./#15

I guess the 'neutral observers' point of view is that the sequence of events, as they are described there, were somewhat foreseeable.

As with any long running dispute (in this case 'Cortese vs Benali') the only way the deadlock can be broken is for one side to 'give in' in the interests of the greater good.

It would seem that neither Cortese or Benali are prepared to 'concede' and as such the outcome here was sadly inevitable.

I guess the 'neutral observers' point of view is that the sequence of events, as they are described there, were somewhat foreseeable.

As with any long running dispute (in this case 'Cortese vs Benali') the only way the deadlock can be broken is for one side to 'give in' in the interests of the greater good.

It would seem that neither Cortese or Benali are prepared to 'concede' and as such the outcome here was sadly inevitable.

Was it? Banning Benali from the launch (at St. Mary's) is one thing, and something that SFC are perfectly entitled to do. Reneging on an agreement to stock the book because of the turn of events of the evening is something more; IMO a spiteful and unnecessary action, punishing Hagiology for something that was outside of their control.

Edited by The Kraken

Was it? Banning Benali from the launch (at St. Mary's) is one thing, and something that SFC are perfectly entitled to do. Reneging on an agreement to stock the book because of the turn of events of the evening is something more; IMO a spiteful and unnecessary action, punishing Hagiology for something that was outside of their control.

Totally agree. Its not like Benali wrote the book is it ? If he had then fair enough I suppose although its bloody petty however you look at it !

So, you're surprised by Cortese's "over reaction" then...? I'm not...which is what makes the outcome inevitable.

it is a sorry state of affairs which once again makes the club look petty and vindictive.

cortese needs to be reminded that he is not the club, there is a long history before him (as the book shows) and will be a long future after him , the fans are "the club" and he is just the current custodian of it.

I am sure he's a good businessman but the way he has treated people in his time at the club is disgusting, consistently trying to silence any opposing views , look at the treatment of The echo, Le Tiss , Ilingsworth and the attempt to immediately airbrush Adkins from our history.

the way the club have spent the 'away fans fund' shows the disregard he has for the fans.

I never have and never will sing his name .

So, you're surprised by Cortese's "over reaction" then...? I'm not...which is what makes the outcome inevitable.

Yes, I'm surprised by the over-reaction (assuming it was his decision in any case, something he denied to Hagiology). The spat between the club and Benali is obvious, and I'm not surprised at all he's banned from St. Mary's (and while I think that's quite sad I can understand that decision while perhaps wishing it weren't so).

However, you asked about the decision to renege on the stocking of the book, and yes, I'm surprised that Hagiology are being punished for being stuck in the middle of the spat. I would hope and expect that a club that is so professional in so many other respects would choose a better option than such an outwardly petty way to make a point.

Edited by The Kraken

Yes, I'm surprised by the over-reaction (assuming it was his decision in any case, something he denied to Hagiology). The spat between the club and Benali is obvious, and I'm not surprised at all he's banned from St. Mary's (and while I think that's quite sad I can understand that decision while perhaps wishing it weren't so).

However, you asked about the decision to renege on the stocking of the book, and yes, I'm surprised that Hagiology are being punished for being stuck in the middle of the spat. I would hope and expect that a club that is so professional in so many other respects would choose a better option than such an outwardly petty way to make a point.

we dont know the conversation or stance the people took. They MAY have stuck their heels in and said they were inviting FB whatever. The change of venue showed that there was something going on. i wasnt going to buy the book but i think I will now, not as a dig at NC but to help the guys at Haliology

Understand that the club would not want Benali onsite at SMS but for them to cancel the order over change of venue is very bad. I feel for the historians who have put in everything.

It puts a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth considering all the fantastic things the club has done in the last 4 years.