Gazzaniga what are his strengths and weaknesses?

Mr X

From what I've seen so far I have to say his distribution seems better than arturs I haven't seen any evidence of any shot stopping so far but maybe that's down to the quality of strike conceded. Do you see our defence continuing to concede goals at the current rate (8 in three games not all gazzanigas) or do you think once he's had a couple more games his confidence will grow? I.e He's young and improving all the time

He seems very uncomfortable with our 'short passes from the back' system. When the ball gets passed back to him you sense a level of panic in his reaction. He doesn't seem to be able to play it along the ground in these situations either, instead lifting the ball to the defender he's playing the short ball to, which means the defender has to waste valuable time getting the ball under control, which in turn gives the opposition's strikers extra time to press our defenders.

IMO of course.

He seems very uncomfortable with our 'short passes from the back' system. When the ball gets passed back to him you sense a level of panic in his reaction. He doesn't seem to be able to play it along the ground in these situations either, instead lifting the ball to the defender he's playing the short ball to, which means the defender has to waste valuable time getting the ball under control, which in turn gives the opposition's strikers extra time to press our defenders.

IMO of course.

Agree I can see those Situations causing him problems how do you rate him overall as a keeper?

His main weakness from what I can see is that he is not a particularly good goal keeper. I have noticed as a positive that when there is no pressure around him he can catch the ball if around mid height.

#sarcasm?

I am not a negative person or one of these that revels in our teams misfiring players but I really have yet to see any strengths yet,only weaknesses

Granted he played last season when we were dog sh1t and he was awful,and from what I saw of him last night he again was turd,nothing he could of done about the third but he could of come out quicker for the first and he could of done better for the 2nd.Villa had a effort within 90 secs of the 2nd half last night and I thought he was very very slow to get down to it,luckily it went past the post.

I really can't see him getting much better,as he has not even shown anything that promising

Julio Cesar in Jan anyone?

I did not go to the game but watched the Sky coverage. It seemed to me he went down far too easily for the first, was not brave for the 2nd and no keeper would have saved the 3rd. Although he does have a strange action when trying to reach for the ball. It was evident for Chelseas second the other day.

A big part of goalkeeping is down to the R-A-R process - Read, Adjust, React. That's Read the play, Adjust to the possible implications for you, and React when it's necessary to do so. The good keepers do it in that sequence - but others rely on good reactions to cover for poor reading of situations or poor adjustments. Great keepers never seem to be in a rush because they've read everything so well that they're prepared for the eventualities.

We haven't seen much of Gazza recently but I think his reading of situations needs a lot of improvement; that's quite normal for a young keeper because "keeper maturity" generally comes in their 28-32 years. That would explain why Gazza did the advance then retreat number last night - he didn't read the situation very well before he started to adjust to it. For me, he's a decent-looking work in progress.

But Boruc is an example of how great reactions can compensate for questionable reading, so he's far from fault-free. There have been numerous instances in which his reading was dodgy - starting with the goal before the "water bottle incident", and continuing up to the Stoke and Arsenal mis-reads. A brilliant save doesn't always signify great goalkeeping, because the need for it could have been created by faulty reading or adjustment.

Interested to hear other perspectives on this.

I am not a negative person or one of these that revels in our teams misfiring players but I really have yet to see any strengths yet,only weaknesses

Granted he played last season when we were dog sh1t and he was awful,and from what I saw of him last night he again was turd,nothing he could of done about the third but he could of come out quicker for the first and he could of done better for the 2nd.Villa had a effort within 90 secs of the 2nd half last night and I thought he was very very slow to get down to it,luckily it went past the post.

I really can't see him getting much better,as he has not even shown anything that promising

Julio Cesar in Jan anyone?

Problem is you can't get away with a championship (at best) quality keeper at this level the other problem is we don't have any choice at the moment as no other like for like replacement. I guess KD was seen as backup for Boruc but really we should have got another quality keeper

A big part of goalkeeping is down to the R-A-R process - Read, Adjust, React. That's Read the play, Adjust to the possible implications for you, and React when it's necessary to do so. The good keepers do it in that sequence - but others rely on good reactions to cover for poor reading of situations or poor adjustments. Great keepers never seem to be in a rush because they've read everything so well that they're prepared for the eventualities.

We haven't seen much of Gazza recently but I think his reading of situations needs a lot of improvement; that's quite normal for a young keeper because "keeper maturity" generally comes in their 28-32 years. That would explain why Gazza did the advance then retreat number last night - he didn't read the situation very well before he started to adjust to it. For me, he's a decent-looking work in progress.

But Boruc is an example of how great reactions can compensate for questionable reading, so he's far from fault-free. There have been numerous instances in which his reading was dodgy - starting with the goal before the "water bottle incident", and continuing up to the Stoke and Arsenal mis-reads. A brilliant save doesn't always signify great goalkeeping, because the need for it could have been created by faulty reading or adjustment.

Interesting points and something often overlooked! it is definitely true that shot stopping is the best part of borucs game as the other parts distribution and decision making are pretty woefull but it seems the majority of people judge a keeper on those amazing saves. At the end of the day gazzaniga wouldn't be nr a start if it wasnt for the boroc injury and that's worrying as your second keeper should be at nearly the same level as your first choice!

I didn't think he was at fault with any of the goals last night, but his distribution at times was woeful. The floated passes out to the touchline to the likes of Clyne are terrible balls. By the time they get to the player the opposition can get a cross and turn them into hospital balls. A couple were head height. What is Clyne going to do with them? In the second half he did it again, only this time falling short. I honestly don't know what he is trying to do here, but it doesn't work. Other than that it's very difficult to comment on whether he has improved as he had **** all to do.

I didn't think he was at fault with any of the goals last night, but his distribution at times was woeful. The floated passes out to the touchline to the likes of Clyne are terrible balls. By the time they get to the player the opposition can get a cross and turn them into hospital balls. A couple were head height. What is Clyne going to do with them? In the second half he did it again, only this time falling short. I honestly don't know what he is trying to do here, but it doesn't work. Other than that it's very difficult to comment on whether he has improved as he had **** all to do.

Technically his dristribution is very good, he has a clean strike on him.

The scenarios you mentioned the ball actually went to Clyne, whereas Boruc often finds the touchline.

The issue is that clearly they are both instructed to look for that ball, rather than playing it more directly upfield. Can't blame a keeper for carrying out instructions.

On his keeping in general, his saves/goals ratio must be awful in the PL. He isn't ready at this level.

Technically his dristribution is very good, he has a clean strike on him.

The scenarios you mentioned the ball actually went to Clyne, whereas Boruc often finds the touchline.

The issue is that clearly they are both instructed to look for that ball, rather than playing it more directly upfield. Can't blame a keeper for carrying out instructions.

On his keeping in general, his saves/goals ratio must be awful in the PL. He isn't ready eat this level.

Do you think mp is already looking at other options? An loan signing ?

His long passes look good, however he seems to lift the ball far too many times in short passes which puts us into trouble. However I think our main problem is that we rely far too many times on passing it back to the keeper. A long kick up the field ever now and then will not damage our perceived game style.

Last night I thought he look more composed than last year but the 2nd goal is his fault I'm afraid. It's in the 6-yard box and there isn't a lot pace in the ball nor is it at an incredible height. If he had gone for it he would've collected it easily. Flapping a ball that is going straight at you was not ideal either but I guess it was a result of his initial bad positioning.

Overall his reading of the game needs to improve, and I think he should practice keeping those short passes low. Finally, a word for our internal player development method gurus, get him a loan in League One where he can learn and work his way up. A keeper is not a winger from our academy! I still think we will regret this decision of just launching a player with U-21 and League Two match experience onto the pitch for a long run in the side.

Excellent post. The guy has got potential, but he needs time and games for it to grow. The prem isn't the best place for him at the present time IMO, he needs to be loaned out and to play regularly at a lower level. Personally I still don't think Boruc is the answer either, yes he pulls off some great saves, but don't all top keepers? His distribution is nothing short of shocking, and his decision making is questionable at times. If we're serious about pushing on we need a better keeper.

The general concensus is that he's not a great keeper but if mp didn't rate him He wouldn't be here surely?

You're not seriously suggesting Poch knows more than the saintsweb forum?!?:rolleyes:

Excellent post. The guy has got potential, but he needs time and games for it to grow. The prem isn't the best place for him at the present time IMO, he needs to be loaned out and to play regularly at a lower level. Personally I still don't think Boruc is the answer either, yes he pulls off some great saves, but don't all top keepers? His distribution is nothing short of shocking, and his decision making is questionable at times. If we're serious about pushing on we need a better keeper.

You're not seriously suggesting Poch knows more than the saintsweb forum?!?:rolleyes:

Yes.. yes I am. unless he really is only being played by mp as a last resort and a better back up keeper is on his way as we speak.

Whilst I can't really fault Gazza for the first - it was basically down to the guys in front of him - I can't help but think if it had been Boruc there we would have been saying another great block.

Difficult to judge on last nights performance - Villa only had three shots on target and scored from each one but second goal was the only one where there was any signifcant degree of fault as far as I could see. He did better than Boruc against Arse when trying to beat an oppo player - thats all

As someone else mentioned his distribution for long kicks is good however his short passing is cack! Last night 3 times he sand wedged a short ball over an attacker which put a defender in all sorts of problems! Eventually led to their second. You would have thought he'd have learnt his lesson on that one after Swansea at home last year.

Strengths - (1) he's 21 and developing, he was probably the youngest keeper playing in the Prem this weekend. (2) he's a Southampton player, and the current and previous managers, ( the latter was a GK himself ), and coaching staff obviously see potential.

Weakness - (1) he's 21, and GK's don't generally develop until at least 26. (2) He doesn't command the area as well as more experienced keepers - lack of physical presence or confidence ? ( Plus last night the defence let him down ).

How many would choose KD over gazzaniga? Or is that like picking cat **** over dog ****?

All day long. I know Kelvin isn't the best at this level by a long way but at least he has a calm experienced head. And in all fairness we haven't seen him play behind a decent, settled defence. Who knows how he might perform without Hooiveld or Maya arsing things up in front of him?

All day long. I know Kelvin isn't the best at this level by a long way but at least he has a calm experienced head. And in all fairness we haven't seen him play behind a decent, settled defence. Who knows how he might perform without Hooiveld or Maya arsing things up in front of him?

Agreed I would say KD is the better option of the two even at his age. What's his injury?

I said to my friend yesterday that the amount of shots on target will equal how many we concede and I wasn't too far off.

Every time I see him, it's as if he is way to slow to react. It's almost as if he's given up hope before it's even gone in and the reaction is just that, a delayed, going through the motions reaction.

He just doesn't save anything. I hope he has a blinder against city but god knows how we'll cope with aguero and co. We could get pummeled because he literally cannot save anything.

Edited by Crab Lungs

I said to my friend yesterday that the amount of shots on target will equal how many we concede and I wasn't too far off.

Every time I see him, it's as if he is way to slow to react. It's almost as if he's given up hope before it's even gone in and the reaction is just that, a delayed, going through the motions reaction.

He just doesn't save anything. I hope he has a blinder against city but god knows how we'll cope with aguero and co. We could get pummeled because he literally cannot save anything.

Many say the goals aren't his fault but he's never close to saving anything, think he's a bit slow witted. At least Artur would have come out for there first goal and not just waited until it got slotted by him. Don't think the defence have any confidence in Gazza, seem to panic at the thought of him being exposed and then they do silly things as well. I'd still stick Jimenez in goal on Saturday if it's a choice between Gazza,Cropper and him.

Many say the goals aren't his fault but he's never close to saving anything, think he's a bit slow witted. At least Artur would have come out for there first goal and not just waited until it got slotted by him. Don't think the defence have any confidence in Gazza, seem to panic at the thought of him being exposed and then they do silly things as well. I'd still stick Jimenez in goal on Saturday if it's a choice between Gazza,Cropper and him.

What realistically is his level at the moment? I'm thinking he's a league one keeper in the premiership

What realistically is his level at the moment? I'm thinking he's a league one keeper in the premiership

I have absolutely no idea, he doesn't actually seem to do anything so how can you judge what he's capable of really. Needed to be put out to grass to get experience in the NPC or even League 1, let him learn at some other teams expense.

I have absolutely no idea, he doesn't actually seem to do anything so how can you judge what he's capable of really. Needed to be put out to grass to get experience in the NPC or even League 1, let him learn at some other teams expense.

Sounds harsh but probably correct

He is either rubbish, or the unluckiest keeper I've ever seen. Apart from one save against Newcastle, I cant actually recall him saving anything that I couldn't save (and I'm a fat 50 year old). Maybe he's really good in training, but clearly on matchdays he's not very good. The club need to have a good hard long look in the mirror. Did playing him last year affect his development, should he have been loaned out last year once he became our number 3?

In the words of the great Geoffrey Boycott, I would rather have Boruc's mum with a stick of rhubarb in her hand, than him in nets against City.

He is either rubbish, or the unluckiest keeper I've ever seen. Apart from one save against Newcastle, I cant actually recall him saving anything that I couldn't save (and I'm a fat 50 year old). Maybe he's really good in training, but clearly on matchdays he's not very good. The club need to have a good hard long look in the mirror. Did playing him last year affect his development, should he have been loaned out last year once he became our number 3?

In the words of the great Geoffrey Boycott, I would rather have Boruc's mum with a stick of rhubarb in her hand, than him in nets against City.

In his defence I'd say that Gazza was not supposed to have any bearing on the outcome of our season anyway. How often do your Numbers 1 and 2 keepers get injured at the same time? Frankly I'd rather have Cropper, at least he's played some sort of competitive football in the last 12 months , not very well but he just cannot be worse than Gazzaniga.

It is quite an interesting debate, because you're right - in the times I've seen him, most shots seem to go in, you can call them wordlies, or poor defending in front of him, but he doesn't really seem to make saves.

Boruc can pull of an unbelievable save and get us out of the mire, but you just get the feeling that Gazzaniga just isn't capable of that. I still look at the 2nd goal last night and the way he threw his arms all around, a really odd reaction to it. No real strength behind those arms if he did get a touch, they were just flapping all over the show.

Someone made a good point a few days back, Boruc pulled off 1 or 2 great saves a match, because we did let teams through at times and they did have shots at goal. I don't know what it is, but he just seems way, way too slow in thought process and positioning.

From what I've seen so far I have to say his distribution seems better than arturs I haven't seen any evidence of any shot stopping so far but maybe that's down to the quality of strike conceded. Do you see our defence continuing to concede goals at the current rate (8 in three games not all gazzanigas) or do you think once he's had a couple more games his confidence will grow? I.e He's young and improving all the time

Weaknesses........he's slow to react. Lacks judgement in positioning and doesn't seem to inspire confidence in his defence (or me for that matter).

Strengths ? sorry...can't think of any really. The last two items you mentioned (young and improving) belong in the first section, because I don't think he's improving.. but a clean sheet would be a good start.

Strengths: Doesn't attempt Cruyff turns when being closed down by an attacker, has good distribution and everything CanadaSaint said.

Weaknesses: Inexperienced and indecisive, needs to be a little more aggressive in the box.

Still think he is going to turn into a good keeper, but needs to be playing games, if not for us then out on loan, needs to be learning in matches not training.