Gazzaniga what are his strengths and weaknesses?

Mr X

I cannot remember the last time he saved a shot and every time there is a shot on target I assume it's in. He is ****ing awful and should be nowhere near a Premier League starting XI. I wonder if we will lose every game whilst Boruc is out purely because we won't score more than our opposition have shots on target....

I cannot remember the last time he saved a shot and every time there is a shot on target I assume it's in. He is ****ing awful and should be nowhere near a Premier League starting XI. I wonder if we will lose every game whilst Boruc is out purely because we won't score more than our opposition have shots on target....

Grow up.

And let's not defend Boruc too much... without his clanger at Arsenal who knows what the score might of been? And how that score would of affected subsequent games???

I did not go to the game but watched the Sky coverage. It seemed to me he went down far too easily for the first, was not brave for the 2nd and no keeper would have saved the 3rd. Although he does have a strange action when trying to reach for the ball. It was evident for Chelseas second the other day.

He uses his "high" hand to try and stop the ball (and hasn't, so far) - Boruc made a save early on against Chelsea in the exact same position as the one Gazzaniga let in from Terry's header - he's a few inches taller than Boruc but seems to jump under the ball. He made the same dive for Delph's goal, which to be fair few keepers were stopping.

His positioning against Everton for Jelavic's goal last season up there was dire, and he could arguably have done more with the one on one and the short-range header goals yesterday, and his kicking choices were dubious on occasion, but to be honest, I just want him to have a game where everything hits him.

I agree with this. I can not either remember a Gazzaniga save of any note.

Grow up.

And let's not defend Boruc too much... without his clanger at Arsenal who knows what the score might of been? And how that score would of affected subsequent games???

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

Yes, Boruc dropped a clanger v Arsenal but if he had been absent and Gazza present against Swansea, WBA and Liverpool then we certainly wouldn't have 9 points in the bag.

I also find it interesting that you criticise praise of Boruc yet don't point out any strengths that Gazza has (it's because he never makes a save).

Tell me this, have you ever come away from a game thinking that Gazza's contribution preserved any points? We have, IMO won points this season BECAUSE of Boruc. Any points we win in his absence will, I think, be in spite of rather than because of Gazza's performances. That is the difference between a good keeper and a poor one.

He has only ever played regular games in League two and, unfortunately for us, it shows.

Edited by James

Tell me this, have you ever come away from a game thinking that Gazza's contribution preserved any points? We have, IMO won points this season BECAUSE of Boruc. Any points we win in his absence will, I think, be in spite of rather than because of Gazza's performances. That is the difference between a good keeper and a poor one.

He has only ever played regular games in League two and, unfortunately for us, it shows.

The Newcastle game last year, can remember one save from that match, and according to the match stats Newcastle had 3 shots on goal yet scored none, I guess the other 2 were blocked by Hooiveld.

A statistic that was often bandied about by the media before our recent losses was that, of all the premiership teams, we had allowed the fewest shots on goal, has that aided people's impression of how good Boruc is? Or was it a result of his magical confidence exuding into the defence in front of him, if so I think that pretty much evaporated after the Stoke bounce and Emirates dribble.

As for Davies, he gets beat on his near post frequently and won't come for crosses. Anyone contemplating his return to the first team should have rewatch of our mauling last year at Arsenal.

My concern goes beyond Gazzaniga and into our goalkeeper coaching.

It seems to me that our keepers retain their faults and don't progress much. Granted, it's difficult to address faults when the keeper in question is not getting any pressurized playing time, but (among other things) Kelvin is still perpetually vulnerable at the near post and weak on crosses, Boruc doesn't always read situations well and takes his confidence too far and into dangerous areas, and Gazza has not progressed much beyond the half-cooked but promising keeper we saw a year or more ago.

On top of that, our academy doesn't seem to produce quality keepers on anything like the same level as quality outfielders.

In a well-funded PL set-up, these are coaching problems as well as keeper problems.

Maybe he'll come good in time - I hope he does - but right now I see no evidence that Gazzaniga is anywhere near good enough to keep goal for us. There are situations where you can perhaps get away with fielding an inadequate player on occasion - but not in this crucial position, and certainly not in the Premier League. I feel Kelvin would almost certainly be playing now instead if he were fit to do so, but let's face it, he's not really the answer either is he?

The multiple errors this club this has made in selecting goalkeepers recently are unacceptable. I rate Artur Borac as a fine (if occasionally mad) keeper, but let's remember he's here not as the result of good long term planning, but rather because of pure luck - he just happened to be available on a 'free agent' basis when both our other keepers were failing last season.

I admire Kelvin Davis greatly and recognize the (big) part he played in getting us where we are today. However, rewarding him with a new contract last summer looks to me like a decision based more on sentiment, rather than a hard headed evaluation of his true suitability to play at this level. As for Gazzaniga, well he may have been highly rated by some scout in his youth, but you have to say that faith seems to have been premature if not entirely misplaced. It's not bad luck that got us into this situation - it's bad planning.

Looking at the upcoming fixture list ... well unless Artur's hand makes a miraculous recovery I just can't see where our next point is coming from frankly.

It seems to me that our keepers retain their faults and don't progress much. Granted, it's difficult to address faults when the keeper in question is not getting any pressurized playing time, but (among other things) Kelvin is still perpetually vulnerable at the near post and weak on crosses, Boruc doesn't always read situations well and takes his confidence too far and into dangerous areas, and Gazza has not progressed much beyond the half-cooked but promising keeper we saw a year or more ago.

On top of that, our academy doesn't seem to produce quality keepers on anything like the same level as quality outfielders.

In a well-funded PL set-up, these are coaching problems as well as keeper problems.

Well, the goal keeping coach setup is totally different than what it was before, as MP bought his Espanyol crew over. And to be honest, you sometimes can't polish a turd....no matter what you do. If they've got a weakness, they've got a weakness.

I am fortunate eneough to see a few youth games and that is being addressed as we have a couple of good ones coming through - hopefully they will continue to progress

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/southamptons-paulo-gazzaniga-better-keeper-2879536 disagree how can you proclaim he's a better keeper now than he was? Up till now he's hardly played a game for us in years if he didn't happen to be an Argentinian he'd have been on his way

Oh shut up. Maybe that is also why we've handed Kelvin Davis a golden pension when he's clearly no longer fit enough to be a squad option?!?

• 1 year later...
From what I've seen so far I have to say his distribution seems better than Arturs I haven't seen any evidence of any shot stopping so far but maybe that's down to the quality of strike conceded. Do you see our defence continuing to concede goals at the current rate (8 in three games not all gazzanigas) or do you think once he's had a couple more games his confidence will grow? I.e He's young and improving all the time

Strengths and weaknesses eh ?

..well....I'm sure the weaknesses are pretty obvious and.... as for his strengths....well..Er ...Um... I mean ...there must be some, but I can't think of any atm..:rolleyes:

However, I would caste some doubt on your use of the phrase ..." ..young and improving all the time ", I think there's little evidence of that right now.

Can we agree hes not good enough for this level and has shown little evidence that he ever will be, loan him out/take what we can get for him and wish him.luck and thanks for his time at saints!

I find it ironic that his normal strength of kicking lets us down yesterday but I thought his goalkeeping was actually ok.

1 dodgy punch, 1 1-1 saved a goal, good clean take from a cross and he did get his arm at least to the 2nd goal.

Look for a team in League 1 or preferably champs who will take him on loan and lets see how he performs over the season to see if he warrants another contract as playing for the u-21 isn't the answer for him.

We laid into Bialokowki in the same way as we are into Gazza, but looking at Bialokowski in the Ipswich goal recently, he is a very competent keeper now! is Gazza worse than he was when we were in the championship

I wouldn't mind Bilokowski in goal now but we replaced him with Gazza

Did we? I thought most of us were fairly fond of Bart. He did have some dodgy games at the end, but also a number of good ones at the beginning.

Anyway, back to Gazzaniga: Weaknesses: already discussed. Strengths: he's not as bad as Fourpast.

To be fair to Gazzaniga, he showed in the U21s Cup Final that his all-round game had hugely improved on the last time I saw him. He was confident taking crosses in traffic, commanding of situations, good decision-making with punching and shot-stopping at that level was much better than his efforts in the Prem. He did have one moment of dodginess even in that match though.

Even at Leicester he made a good stop in a one on one which (Cardiff away aside) he's never shown any indications of being able to do in the Premier League before. His sliced kick unfortunately led to a goal and that's a stick to beat him with even though by the time the shot came, it was from an unmarked striker 10 yards out with the whole goal to aim at and he had little chance of stopping it. Neither Kelvin nor Forster would have got the first one in the corner either.

He could probably do with a season at a Championship side to see if his improvement translates into first team football, but even with Gazzaniga's improvement taken into consideration, I think we're at a strange place to be playing back-up goalie roulette with the European place at stake.

To be fair to Gazzaniga, he showed in the U21s Cup Final that his all-round game had hugely improved on the last time I saw him. He was confident taking crosses in traffic, commanding of situations, good decision-making with punching and shot-stopping at that level was much better than his efforts in the Prem. He did have one moment of dodginess even in that match though.

Even at Leicester he made a good stop in a one on one which (Cardiff away aside) he's never shown any indications of being able to do in the Premier League before. His sliced kick unfortunately led to a goal and that's a stick to beat him with even though by the time the shot came, it was from an unmarked striker 10 yards out with the whole goal to aim at and he had little chance of stopping it. Neither Kelvin nor Forster would have got the first one in the corner either.

He could probably do with a season at a Championship side to see if his improvement translates into first team football, but even with Gazzaniga's improvement taken into consideration, I think we're at a strange place to be playing back-up goalie roulette with the European place at stake.

This. All of it. But then I'm in the majority of one who sees some semblance of a goalkeeper in Gazzaniga - perhaps because I've been watching him in youth games. As you say, his ability to collect crosses has improved significantly. He save from Vardy's effort is worthy of praise too.

• 3 months later...

Seems a bit of an odd move on the surface....

With Forster due back "possibly before the end of the year" and Steklenberg looking solid with the potential to convert his loan into a permanent move (?), plus the recent signing of "the next Joe Hart" (the lad from Shrewsbury), its difficult to see Gazza getting much first team or U21 action in the medium to longer term.

That said, based on recent performances (end of last season + the U21s + pre-season friendlies) he seems to have gained considerably in confidence, so maybe the plan is for him to be Forster's long term back-up after all, which would obviously squeeze Steklenberg out of the frame...