Injuries Update

St Chalet

Lots of threads on injuries. Any updates and discussion gladly received here. All talk of the Sunderland game banned.

To my knowledge:

Boruc late December to early Jan [boruc Instagram]

Clyne mid Dec

Schneiderlin mid Dec

Wanyama mid Jan

K Davis?

Fox?

Edited by St Chalet

What's that about the Sunderland game? :-)

I think the key injury is Boruc. Chambers for Clyne is a decent back-up, as is Cork, Davis, JWP and even Reed covering Morgan and Victor. (Although it is harsh to lose our entire first choice central midfield.) I'm not convinced by Gazzaniga, but if anything this little injury spell has done, is highlight what positions need strengthening before long.

a friend went to the saints xmas party and found out the folloeing two things -

1. all players will be back from injuries in 2 weeks bar victor.

2. cortese said we will be in the champions league before long. i asked my friend if he was convinced by cortese and he said "almost". i have only had this by text so far so not had a chance to grill him about both of these points in more detail yet.

a friend went to the saints xmas party and found out the folloeing two things -

1. all players will be back from injuries in 2 weeks bar victor.

2. cortese said we will be in the champions league before long. i asked my friend if he was convinced by cortese and he said "almost". i have only had this by text so far so not had a chance to grill him about both of these points in more detail yet.

what even Artur ? That's good news then.

Lots of threads on injuries. Any updates and discussion gladly received here. All talk of the Sunderland game banned.

To my knowledge:

Boruc late December to early Jan [boruc Instagram]

Clyne mid Dec

Schneiderlin mid Dec

Wanyama mid Jan

K Davis?

Fox?

Apart from Boruc, who we need back desperately, for me this doesnt look so bad, because I'd like to see Cork get a chance to resetablish himself and hold his place. I rate him and would be gutted if he left in January.

Apart from Boruc, who we need back desperately, for me this doesnt look so bad, because I'd like to see Cork get a chance to resetablish himself and hold his place. I rate him and would be gutted if he left in January.

Think we all would mate.

This thread is a clear abuse of mod "power".

Made a sticky for no real reason at all and banning items of discussion at the same time :facepalm:

Agreed. Who wants facts, information and a bit of humour?

We need ranting, raving, abuse, swearing and lots of made-up rubbish. Close it immediately.

I agree with you about giving the Schneiderlin-Cork partnership a chance to flourish again. They were good last season before Wanyama came here and did not have the benefit of Louvren marshalling the back four behind them so we have never seen a like v like comparison. Results tell plenty but sometimes it seems Schneiderlin & Wanyama do not click although as individuals they are both pretty good players. Schneiderlin has the better vision and perception of the three whilst Cork and Wanyama seem to be similar energetic box-to-box players but my guess is that Cork is more effective in tackles and concedes fewer fouls.

I agree with you about giving the Schneiderlin-Cork partnership a chance to flourish again. They were good last season before Wanyama came here and did not have the benefit of Louvren marshalling the back four behind them so we have never seen a like v like comparison. Results tell plenty but sometimes it seems Schneiderlin & Wanyama do not click although as individuals they are both pretty good players. Schneiderlin has the better vision and perception of the three whilst Cork and Wanyama seem to be similar energetic box-to-box players but my guess is that Cork is more effective in tackles and concedes fewer fouls.

Difficult to say on the tackles/fouls ratio for Victor and Jack simply because Jack has played so little this season. However on the only stats available Jack commits a foul for every 5 tackles and Victor has a ratio of 1 for 2. Must admit that Jack looked pretty

deft in his interventions against Citeh but that could well change when he's up against the stereotype bruisers that they have in midfield at Stoke, West Brom and West Ham. The Victor/Morgan partnership does sometimes look a little less fluid than the one we had last year but it got some good results all the same..

The way Cork played on Saturday I think offers MP a plan B when Wanyama comes back in. More often than not, I think it would a choice of 2 from 3. However, I think the plan B could be to play all three of them, with Cork sitting and holding and Wanyama and Schneiderlin breaking and joining attacks late. Wanyama had a half decent goalscoring ratio at Celtic and we have seen from Schneiderlin that he can score goals by breaking into the box and supporting attacks (Wigan away, Liverpool home, Hull home, and I think there are more). I also think that have players joining attacks from deep makes us less predictable. At home this season against the lower table clubs, we've looked quite predictable at times and easy to defend against when teams park the bus.

You'd hope Cork's performance has shown that he's a better option for games against sides where we'd expect to have a lot of possession and not spend much time trying to win it back, he's a much better user of the ball and Wanyama's skillset is much more handy when we play sides we need to get the ball from.

Of course the issue there is that Wanyama is much more likely to score than Cork.

Difficult to say on the tackles/fouls ratio for Victor and Jack simply because Jack has played so little this season. However on the only stats available Jack commits a foul for every 5 tackles and Victor has a ratio of 1 for 2. Must admit that Jack looked pretty

deft in his interventions against Citeh but that could well change when he's up against the stereotype bruisers that they have in midfield at Stoke, West Brom and West Ham. The Victor/Morgan partnership does sometimes look a little less fluid than the one we had last year but it got some good results all the same..

This ignores our tactic of fouling high up the pitch to prevent counterattacks though, if Cork had managed a minor foul on Delph against Villa on the halfway line in the last 10 minutes I'd have been absolutely fine with it. It's where the fouls occur that's the key.

You'd hope Cork's performance has shown that he's a better option for games against sides where we'd expect to have a lot of possession and not spend much time trying to win it back, he's a much better user of the ball and Wanyama's skillset is much more handy when we play sides we need to get the ball from.

Of course the issue there is that Wanyama is much more likely to score than Cork.

neither have scored so far this season, Victor's shooting leaves about as much to be desired as Jack's really. For a big unit Victor doesn't seem to do much at corners and stuff, well not on the attacking side anyway.

neither have scored so far this season, Victor's shooting leaves about as much to be desired as Jack's really. For a big unit Victor doesn't seem to do much at corners and stuff, well not on the attacking side anyway.

Well, to be fair Wanyama DID already score from a corner this season, it was just disallowed because the ref decided that 2 wrongs make a right :-/

Re: Guly

To be clear, I recall reading a quick note from the club in late October stating that Guly had had a knee operation and would be out until the New Year. Haven't heard anything about his recovery since then.

Hope that helps.

He scored against Barcelona don't you know?

I know because every bastard commentator from every bastard game he has played in has told me so. Bastards.

MP: Unlikely that any of the injured players will return this weekend, apart from maybe Morgan (who wouldn't be fit enough to last 90 minutes though). Will make a decision on Morgan tomorrow. He may play "a few minutes" or it may be better to leave him behind for extra training.

I think we are just about our limit in terms of injuries and our squad as it is it think we are just about holding a reasonable level ! Any more and I think we'll start to struggle the sooner anyone comes back the better although a part of me is secretly hoping it gives Gaston a chance to play a little I think he did ok Saturday when he came on !?

bad news then,

Not necessarily. Enforced rest might help. Cork and Chambers getting game time that is all going to help. Obv Gazza is a worry but again game time is going to help his development. And we were outstanding against City. Quite confident for Saturday despite the injuries and Osvaldo will play a blinder