Managers Tactics?

hectors house

I have not read the post-match thread so apologies if already covered but for the very first time today I was frustrated with Pochettino. To start with I was amazed that he left Lallana on the bench, in my opinion one of the best players in the league right now, certainly a shoe in for Brazil on current form? On reflection I have managed to convince myself that it we want to be a top 6 side then we have to rotate the squad and we have to occasionally rest players … and to be fair few players work harder than Lallana in my opinion. However there might be easier games (on paper) to rest him?

The decision that I cannot understand is “resting” Fonte for Hoovield. I am not wanting to beat up on Hoovield but on the assumption that Fonte is the mangers first choice (?) I assume he is resting him and I cannot get me head around he will “rest” a first choice centre half at a time when we are needing to play our third choice keeper, Is this not a time when the defence needs some consistency, why not rest a centre half when our the keeper is back. On the other hand it makes me wonder if Fonte is in fact not highly rated by Pochettino so maybe this is a January signing. What do you think?

BTW. Don’t take this is an anti Pochettino rant as I love the guy and reckon if he stays at the club we really might (only might) make the champions league . But that is no reason why I should not document my frustration occasionally.

I did hear the interview this afternoon and the mention that Lallana had a knock but missed the refrerence to Fonte but all the same if you are fit enough to be on the bench then you should be fit enough to play (IMO) ... certainly having 3 players on the bench (Lallana, Schneiderlin & Fonte) who are not fit seems a bit risky to me.

Logically I cannot argue with your point and I can see some logic in having a not match fit Lallana on the bench to come on only if absolutely necessary ... as was the case today. But I am not so sure about Fonte? If he is first choice (I am assuming from MP's selections so far this season he is) then I reckon when the 3rd choice keeper is playing (who is generally considered to be lacking in confidence) then playing Fonte is worth the risk .. surely you can always bring on Hooviled if Fonte breaks down? IMO an unconfident keeper does not help Hoovield and even more so a dodgy centre half only exposes the keeper even more.

Seems that we have many experienced managers on this forum, so why Saints bother to employ sports science to the game, or fitness guru's, is beyond me, just come on here and be told what the right thing to do is. Simple really, we have pee tests, blood tests, saliva tests etc etc, all geared up to say what a players optimum fitness is, but to hell with all that, let's just play them 'till they drop, that'll help.

I did hear the interview this afternoon and the mention that Lallana had a knock but missed the refrerence to Fonte but all the same if you are fit enough to be on the bench then you should be fit enough to play (IMO) ... certainly having 3 players on the bench (Lallana, Schneiderlin & Fonte) who are not fit seems a bit risky to me.

yeah. for maybe 45 mins. hence he came on at HT

so based on your post, if you are fit enough to be on the bench you are fit enought to play? that means based on the fact MP and hit fitness team stated both were only fit enough for part of a game, you would have actually left them out of the squad then? or perhaps ignored the advice of the experts?

damn glad we used MOs tactics and not yours yesterday as the 2nd half introduction of morgan and lallana saved the game.

Seems that we have many experienced managers on this forum, so why Saints bother to employ sports science to the game, or fitness guru's, is beyond me, just come on here and be told what the right thing to do is. Simple really, we have pee tests, blood tests, saliva tests etc etc, all geared up to say what a players optimum fitness is, but to hell with all that, let's just play them 'till they drop, that'll help.

Another thread hijacked by the ginger whinged moaning about other posters. Why do you come on here? This is a board for opinions yet yours seems to be no one should have one because we've got a manager.

and who else is there then ? we are down to the bare bones as Arry would say. The U21s aren't the solution. Been a long time since we've had such an injury crisis. Lallana was supposed to be doubtful for last week's game, guess they filled him with junk to get him through but there was obviously some sort of reaction. With Gaston being just a passenger in the squad we didn't (or so it would seem to me) have much other option than to put the walking wounded on the bench.

Another thread hijacked by the ginger whinged moaning about other posters. Why do you come on here? This is a board for opinions yet yours seems to be no one should have one because we've got a manager.

You really are a moronic troll, it was due to the likes of you, that I ceased to be a full member, how the mods do not see you for what you are, is beyond me. You wouldn't last five minutes in the company I keep, I feel for you, no really, I do, you must be one of the saddest individuals on here, your post count proved you have no life........poor old Turkish troll!

You really are a moronic troll, it was due to the likes of you, that I ceased to be a full member, how the mods do not see you for what you are, is beyond me. You wouldn't last five minutes in the company I keep, I feel for you, no really, I do, you must be one of the saddest individuals on here, your post count proved you have no life........poor old Turkish troll!

:lol: another post moaning about other posters, keep it up, hero.

Sorry Turkish I haven't renewed for exactly the same reason.

The personal attacks on others by posters such as you on others. I suspect there are loads of us who follow the Saints and have a keen interest but can't be doing with the abuse. Financially the site is missing out, perhaps more importantly the level and content of discussions is all the poorer for it.

I do think the mods need to get a grip on the likes of you.

The personal attacks on others by posters such as you on others. I suspect there are loads of us who follow the Saints and have a keen interest but can't be doing with the abuse. Financially the site is missing out, perhaps more importantly the level and content of discussions is all the poorer for it.

Show me an example of a personal attack I've made on someone, there is some p*ss taking but that is all. There is one on this very thread on me yet I'm not sulking about it and whinging. Ginge regularly had a pop at me for hijacking and derailing threads yet his only contribution to this one was to tell people they shouldn't have an opinion because we have a manager for that. Do you not agree that this would be considered trolling if it had been said by someone else? it does make me laugh that the ones that are playing the victim are generally more malious and spiteful than those they are supposed to be offended by.

Edited by Turkish

Agreed. Some people like to think they're being clever picking at people constantly, but in reality they are just tedious bores. IMHO

And yet another thread is hijacked and spoilt by the usual culprits.

To answer the question, the coaching staff got it right completely yesterday. What it does tell me is that we need a Lallana equivelent in January as there is nobody else like him in the squad and he will not be able to sustain his current work rate across all competitions in a season. Arguably having another like him on the pitch at the same time to replace Lambert would be ideal and propel us forward as Osvaldo and/or JRod would get more service.

To be fair it wasn't the best thread in the world anyway. We just left Toon with a point which given their current form was pretty impressive. MP is managing to mix it up by resting players and giving fringe players an opportunity to shine so that we don't suffer any more injuries than necessary over the hectic Christmas period. Thereis no real justification for criticising his tactical awareness. Having players like lallana, lambert, Ramirez on the bench to have an impact against tired legs later in the game seems to be a good ploy to me. It's not been about the starting 11 being the best 11 for quite some time. Get in the match day squad and you have a big part to play at some point.

And yet another thread is hijacked and spoilt by the usual culprits.

To answer the question, the coaching staff got it right completely yesterday. What it does tell me is that we need a Lallana equivelent in January as there is nobody else like him in the squad and he will not be able to sustain his current work rate across all competitions in a season. Arguably having another like him on the pitch at the same time to replace Lambert would be ideal and propel us forward as Osvaldo and/or JRod would get more service.

Actually it seems to be another thread of people telling others that they are offended, not being able to provide any examples of why they are and others being abusive themselves.

Anyway, to answer your question and to get this thread back on track the squad is pretty stretched at the moment and if Lallaa and Fonte are also carrying knocks then we are 'down the bare bones' as some might say. Yesterday was proof that Hooliveld is simply not good enough, something that many have said for a long time. I said when we were in the championship that he's as error prone and suffers from lapses in concentration and this has been exposed time and again since promotion. Another centre back should be a priority and if Ramirez couldn't get a game yesterday then you have to say he has no future here so bringing someone in to be the player he was meant to be is also a priority.

Actually it seems to be another thread of people telling others that they are offended, not being able to provide any examples of why they are and others being abusive themselves.

Anyway, to answer your question and to get this thread back on track the squad is pretty stretched at the moment and if Lallaa and Fonte are also carrying knocks then we are 'down the bare bones' as some might say. Yesterday was proof that Hooliveld is simply not good enough, something that many have said for a long time. I said when we were in the championship that he's as error prone and suffers from lapses in concentration and this has been exposed time and again since promotion. Another centre back should be a priority and if Ramirez couldn't get a game yesterday then you have to say he has no future here so bringing someone in to be the player he was meant to be is also a priority.

Problem is you and others just don't get the difference between attacking the subject matter rather than the poster. If everyone did that, this place might return to being an entertaining place to share views. When you post well I actually think you've got some great opinions and humour too, but all too often you allow your sarcasm to get the better of you. You're not the worst and it's not just you plus the Mods should take more action perhaps.

Problem is you and others just don't get the difference between attacking the subject matter rather than the poster. If everyone did that, this place might return to being an entertaining place to share views. When you post well I actually think you've got some great opinions and humour too, but all too often you allow your sarcasm to get the better of you. You're not the worst and it's not just you plus the Mods should take more action perhaps.

:mcinnes: so you Ignore the rest of the post and carry on the arguing.

Just for the record, gingerletiss has regularly attacked me in the past and accused me of hijacking and ruining threads, he did this the other day when I'd made about 5 posts on a thread 7 pages long, none of them were rude or insulting anyone, just a 5 lighthearted comments on a 300 post thread. His contribution to this thread was to tell people theyre know it alls and shouldn't have an opinion and then to attack me and go on about the company he keeps like he's some sort of gangster away from the forum. Simply pointing out his behaviour is exactly that, if not worse than what he regularly has a go at me about. It's not an isolated incident either, check his posting history and like so mnay others who claim to be so offended by stuff said on here around half his posts are slagging off or moaning about other posters. As I've said to others, find examples of me attacking other posters, look through my posting history, you'll find some p*ss taking but you won't find anything like the level of vitriol I have directed at me at times. if I have been slightly abusive on a rare occasion you'll generally find its in response to someone being abusive to me first.

Edited by Turkish

so based on your post, if you are fit enough to be on the bench you are fit enought to play? that means based on the fact MP and hit fitness team stated both were only fit enough for part of a game, you would have actually left them out of the squad then? or perhaps ignored the advice of the experts?

damn glad we used MOs tactics and not yours yesterday as the 2nd half introduction of morgan and lallana saved the game.

I am also damn glad we use MP's tactics and not mine, I think it's safe to say that he knows a bit more than I do ... all the same ... you could argue that if they had started and lasted 90 minutes then we might have won the game? Of course the big question is "if they had lasted 90 minutes" and I absolutely agree that it is best to be cautious with Lallana as he is so critical to the team. My point was really more about Fonte and that I thought it was a risk worth taking, especially considering the inexperienced keeper situation. Just an opinion and it's easy to be critical with hindsight, I was just interested to see if anyone else shared my thoughts, but I guess not.

:mcinnes: so you Ignore the rest of the post and carry on the arguing.

Just for the record, gingerletiss has regularly attacked me in the past and accused me of hijacking and ruining threads, he did this the other day when I'd made about 5 posts on a thread 7 pages long, none of them were rude or insulting anyone, just a 5 lighthearted comments on a 300 post thread. His contribution to this thread was to tell people they we're know it alls and shouldn't have an opinion and then to attack me and go on about the company he keeps like he's some sort of gangster away from the forum. Simply pointing out his behaviour is exactly that, if not worse than what he regularly has a go at me about. It's not an isolated incident either, check his posting history and like so mnay others who claim to be so offended by stuff said on here around half his posts are slagging off or moaning about other posters. As I've said to others, find examples of me attacking other posters, look through my posting history, you'll find some p*ss taking but you won't find anything like the level of vitriol I have directed at me at times.

So in other words it is not your fault but a lot of people on here think you are an arrogant, sarcastic t**ser who brings the kiss of death to so many threads. According to you it is not your fault but you seem to be in a minority with that opinion.

Perhaps you should do the honourable thing and walk away for a few weeks. Let the "mongs" on the "mong board" get on with their "mongism." Perhaps the board will improve . Perhaps it won't. But at least you will not then be blamed when people say that threads have been derailed.

I am also damn glad we use MP's tactics and not mine, I think it's safe to say that he knows a bit more than I do ... all the same ... you could argue that if they had started and lasted 90 minutes then we might have won the game? Of course the big question is "if they had lasted 90 minutes" and I absolutely agree that it is best to be cautious with Lallana as he is so critical to the team. My point was really more about Fonte and that I thought it was a risk worth taking, especially considering the inexperienced keeper situation. Just an opinion and it's easy to be critical with hindsight, I was just interested to see if anyone else shared my thoughts, but I guess not.

Your comments are fair enough and I do see where you are coming from. for example if Fonte was carrying an injury what happens if Lovern gets injured in the first 5 minutes? Does this mean Fonte wouldn't come on because he isn't fit enough to last the game? so from that point of view players in theory should he fit enough to last 90 minutes if they are on the bench. However our squad is stretched at the moment and with the games coming thick and fast in the coming weeks if players are carrying injuries then it makes sense to ease them through it rather than keep on playing them and risking further, longer term injury as a result.

Having opinions and defending posters with opinions is not trolling.

So in other words it is not your fault but a lot of people on here think you are an arrogant, sarcastic t**ser who brings the kiss of death to so many threads. According to you it is not your fault but you seem to be in a minority with that opinion.

Perhaps you should do the honourable thing and walk away for a few weeks. Let the "mongs" on the "mong board" get on with their "mongism." Perhaps the board will improve . Perhaps it won't. But at least you will not then be blamed when people say that threads have been derailed.

Another abusive post. Another poster moaning about other posters, another poster joining a thread to insult others.

As I've said, check my posting history, post examples of me attacking and abusing other posters. Post examples of me persistently swearing at, calling people names and being abusive like you just have. Go on, treat yourself, if what you say is true it should be easy.

Another abusive post. Another poster moaning about other posters, another poster joining a thread to insult others.

As I've said, check my posting history, post examples of me attacking and abusing other posters. Post examples of me persistently swearing at, calling people names and being abusive like you just have. Go on, treat yourself, if what you say is true it should be easy.

It was not meant as an abusive post. I am sorry that you have taken it that way.

It was really meant as a bit of advice. I apprecate that it is hard on you to disappear for a short time .... but even you must admit that your posting style is on the aggressive, sarcastic side. If you were to take a break from here you could then not be blamed for disrailing so many posts. People may start to respect your opinions more!!

I would miss some of your contributions if you were to take a short sabbatical. You are clearly intelligent and sometimes you put the finger straight onto the relevant part of a thread. Sometimes you act like a complete pr att .

Its up to you .... but you undoubtedly do seem to attract a lot of flack and the way that things are going you are going to be spending all your time on here writing "its not my fault " posts like these this morning.

Where we see threads that have gone off topic or contain personal abuse we will delete, lock and/or infract as necessary.

I am not going to discuss individual posters here but some of the howling for blood is like watching a Serie A player begging for someone to be yellowed and is as equally distasteful. Also the constant "you are not get my fiver" is pretty short sighted as well, Steve doesn't run this to allow him to retire early and for the price of a pint you condemn yourself to adverts and having to stick at 3 posts.

So to paraphrase Winston Wolf: Pretty please, with sugar on top, stick to the ****ing topic.

Not sure why people think that if a player is deemed not fit to start that they shouldn't be on the bench? Why should it be that black and white?

"People" probably means me as I think I am no only one who is questioning the tactic. If so then I do not think that it is black and white, having Lallana on the bench yesterday just in case he was needed very much proves the benefit of "trying" to rest a star player but keeping him in hand just in case. It's Fonte on the bench that I question and personally I think we should have played/risked him from the start as we already have a weakened defence.

I was considering not renewing but then I remembered how Turkish can wind up the fannies and get the likes of ginge hot under the collar and I decided to help in a small way to this site continuing.