why does Osvaldo not turn up for 90% of most games?

Mr X

And. I don't mean because he's been a sub for most of them. He is clearly a skilled player as the wonder goal proved so I can only put it down to work rate, it literally was as if he wasn't there at all yesterday. Still adapting to the premership or only bothered when it suits him? I stand by my opinion that he won't make double figures this season.

In your opinion could we do with another striker as backup? One that could work alongside j rod?

While he's only getting a bit part it will take longer for him to adapt perhaps, but my impression of him is he's a finisher and not so much of a team player like JRod has proven to be. Lambert has also shown in the past that he has great ability to turn provider when necessary. Linking with other players is essential to the style of football we play and Osvaldo seems unable to click in that department at the moment. He needs at least until the end of the season though.

Few people doubt he has skill.....and we'll still be talking about that goal v. Man.City at the end of the season....but it was one of the most physical games I've seen this season, and as has been said before...it can take time for some foreign players to adjust to the different style of play.

Given the opportunity he will score more, but there was a lot of grit in yesterdays game and skill was a bit low on the scale. Dour defensive work on both sides didn't leave much chance for anything else.

He needs the supply and yesterday's game was crying out for someone to create for him. That person then came on, but for him.

I think he is a great player, but and forward without supply gets lost in a game. The same happened to van Persie in the game against Newcastle coming back to get the ball in the right back position, last week and he is the best around.

Few people doubt he has skill.....and we'll still be talking about that goal v. Man.City at the end of the season....but it was one of the most physical games I've seen this season, and as has been said before...it can take time for some foreign players to adjust to the different style of play.

Given the opportunity he will score more, but there was a lot of grit in yesterdays game and skill was a bit low on the scale. Dour defensive work on both sides didn't leave much chance for anything else.

Agreed it was a very physical game yesterday and maybe Osvaldo isn't up to that at the moment. Can't remember him hardly having a touch of the ball yesterday.

Agreed it was a very physical game yesterday and maybe Osvaldo isn't up to that at the moment. Can't remember him hardly having a touch of the ball yesterday.

Which backs up dr who's suggestion that the problem was not Osvaldo but the poor supply.

He needs the supply and yesterday's game was crying out for someone to create for him. That person then came on, but for him.

I think he is a great player, but and forward without supply gets lost in a game. The same happened to van Persie in the game against Newcastle coming back to get the ball in the right back position, last week and he is the best around.

Spot on Dr Who

I agree he isnt as hard working as J Rod and Lallana but those two have been here a while and had the work ethic ingrained in them. One thing we needed was a striker who would be in the right place and the right time when the opportunity came. But overall he needs the ball supplied to him.

If you play up front on your own you either wander to get the ball and thus are out of position or stick to position and risk being isolated. It can be catch 22 in a game where our creativity is lacking.

Mr X is Ossie your new Ramirez ?

Spot on Dr Who

I agree he isnt as hard working as J Rod and Lallana but those two have been here a while and had the work ethic ingrained in them. One thing we needed was a striker who would be in the right place and the right time when the opportunity came. But overall he needs the ball supplied to him.

If you play up front on your own you either wander to get the ball and thus are out of position or stick to position and risk being isolated. It can be catch 22 in a game where our creativity is lacking.

Mr X is Ossie your new Ramirez ?

No I think he's a good player as I stated above just that he seems anonomous for most games apart from the odd flash of brilliance as per the wonder goal and the discussion is around that nowhere have i stated he's a rubbish player. As for Ramirez I don't think there's many people who now feel he has a future at the club or do you feel otherwise?

While he's only getting a bit part it will take longer for him to adapt perhaps, but my impression of him is he's a finisher and not so much of a team player like JRod has proven to be. Lambert has also shown in the past that he has great ability to turn provider when necessary. Linking with other players is essential to the style of football we play and Osvaldo seems unable to click in that department at the moment. He needs at least until the end of the season though.

Agree. The work rate required of him and involvement in build-up seem to be beyond him at the moment. Whether it can be coached into him I'm not sure, but I actually feel JRod is a better option as a front player for the time being, particularly with Ricky in a withdrawn role but able to interchange.

Osvsldo seems to want to wait for the team to lay on chances for him, or to do it all himself, which usually doesn't come off.

Because he's an inconsistent headcase. If he wasn't he'd have cost £30m+ and wouldn't be playing for us.

Very much this. As a follower of Roma, I am very much accustomed to his inconsistent performances, his missing of easier chances and scoring goals of sublime nature. It's just the way he is. Through his time at Roma I maintained that on his day he is up there with the best strikers in Europe. He does come across as lazy and not bothered a lot of the time, which is strange because you see his reaction when one of his teammates score a goal, he's going nuts and clearly does care. He is something of an enigma is Osvaldo.

Because he's an inconsistent headcase. If he wasn't he'd have cost £30m+ and wouldn't be playing for us.

Which begs the question would we have been better off signing a less temperamental striker that's more of a team player and more consistent overall. All swings and roundabouts though always going to be compromises.

So far 1 (very) impressive goal is all I've seen form Osvaldo sure there's a bit of skill there but as Shearer said on MOTD the other day football is 10% talent and 90% hard work. Can't help thinking we missed a trick not trying to sign Lukaku in the summer seeing as Chelsea clearly don't rate him.

If they didn't rate him, they would have sold him rather than loaning him out. Again.

There was an interesting thread on here a few weeks ago regarding loan players. The gist of it was that if a rich prem club feel that a player is surplus to requirements at the moment, they could gain more by loaning him to another club they don't feel threatened by, safe in the knowledge that he cant play against his parent club. The loan club will then potentially take more points from the parent club's actual rivals, without being strengthened by the loanee who cant play against them. I would say Lukaku is a prime example of this, Chelsea don't see him as a regular starter at the moment, but think he'll do more good for them helping another club take points from sides they otherwise wouldn't. And I'd also say that cost Steve Clarke his job.

So far 1 (very) impressive goal is all I've seen form Osvaldo sure there's a bit of skill there but as Shearer said on MOTD the other day football is 10% talent and 90% hard work. Can't help thinking we missed a trick not trying to sign Lukaku in the summer seeing as Chelsea clearly don't rate him.

We did try to sign Lukaku, he wasnt available

Which backs up dr who's suggestion that the problem was not Osvaldo but the poor supply.

Not that old chestnut yet again! Osvaldo truely is not a big contributor to the team...

He doesn't look worth 15m so far and for that money, by now he should.... I bet if you stuck Gallagher in there for a dozen games he would look as good at the end of that time......

Our game suits hard working team players and as yet Ossie isn't looking great in those departments.... Personally not sure he's really improving - maybe a very small amount but not significantly .....

As I see it Lambert's first move in possession is to keep the move going or put someone in a good position in on goal. Osvaldo's first move is to see if he can get himself in and usually he get's blocked off by then he either loses the ball or makes a bail out pass.

If they didn't rate him, they would have sold him rather than loaning him out. Again.

There was an interesting thread on here a few weeks ago regarding loan players. The gist of it was that if a rich prem club feel that a player is surplus to requirements at the moment, they could gain more by loaning him to another club they don't feel threatened by, safe in the knowledge that he cant play against his parent club. The loan club will then potentially take more points from the parent club's actual rivals, without being strengthened by the loanee who cant play against them. I would say Lukaku is a prime example of this, Chelsea don't see him as a regular starter at the moment, but think he'll do more good for them helping another club take points from sides they otherwise wouldn't. And I'd also say that cost Steve Clarke his job.

I get the whole loan thing but as he has scored more goals in the last two seasons than the rest of Chelsea's strikers put together they can't rate him that highly to farm him out on loan again. I really can't understand why Chelsea wouldn't want him leading the line instead of Torres or Ba this season.

We did try to sign Lukaku, he wasnt available

To buy maybe but clearly he was available on loan or he wouldn't be at Everton right now. I realize that loans probably don't fit with the Don's master plan but just imagine were we would be with Lukakus goals up front this season. Plus we'd have had a whole season to tap him up to try and get something more permanent:).

I get the whole loan thing but as he has scored more goals in the last two seasons than the rest of Chelsea's strikers put together they can't rate him that highly to farm him out on loan again. I really can't understand why Chelsea wouldn't want him leading the line instead of Torres or Ba this season.

To buy maybe but clearly he was available on loan or he wouldn't be at Everton right now. I realize that loans probably don't fit with the Don's master plan but just imagine were we would be with Lukakus goals up front this season. Plus we'd have had a whole season to tap him up to try and get something more permanent:).

I agree, Id love to have got him here on loan but I think your spot on regarding the Dons overall plan. Besides, the problems with loans that are THAT effective is you have to try to replace them when they eventually leave. That can have pretty disasterous effects too, ask Steve Clarke.

Though who the hell replaces Lukaku with anichebe and a late-30 year old unless he had some scientific masterplan to mould the two together

Suarez didn't need time. nor have many of top signings for other clubs.

That's just not true though. Suarez hardly scored any for most of his first full season at Liverpool and even after finding a bit of form at the end of the season only had 11 league goals.

I think we have 3 good strikers who all offer us something different. Osvaldo is a box striker who gets in the right place at the right time and will score goals. He's scored 3 at home having started 4 games and come on before half time in another, plus a few briefer appearances off the bench, which is a decent record. Away from home I agree he has been poor but that's because he is far more suited to home games where we are dominating and pushing the opposition deep.

I don't think Poch has really worked out when to play which striker yet but I think we he does we will look much better. Playing all three away from home obviously doesn't work. Osvaldo cannot lead the line away from home, but looks much more likely to score than Lambert when we're at home. I'd start Rodriguez whoever we're playing, but rotate Lambert and Osvaldo depending on the game. When we're chasing a game Poch seems to like having all three on at once but the team looks unbalanced when this happens as we usually sacrifice someone who can deliver a ball and end up hoofing it.

He usually just makes attacking runs when the ball is immediately likely to be delivered to him. As we've been pressing a lot less recently for some reason (Wanyama and Schneiderlin missing might be a clue) we're not getting the ball in attacking areas anything like as much - plus we haven't been a "through ball" team for a long time, preferring angled balls to running midfielders and lay-offs to running players, and it takes time to switch between systems.

I've been quite impressed with his workrate off the ball in some matches, but not all, and he's definitely got a dubious selfish streak - rather than one of those "good" selfish streaks where players score for the better of the team but will also pass to better placed colleagues, and are not just in it for their own glory.