AVB sacked!!

bowers-sfc

Pretty sure they were mostly Baldini's signings.

Would be harsh/foolish to sack him on that alone.

His comments last night regarding the signings were strange, I wonder if that is what p***ed off Levy?

As said on the other thread, you hire AVB for his long-term visions. Chelsea & Spurs have both brought him in for this, and to rebuild a squad. And then completely forgotten why they bought him in.

Silly sacking in my opinion. There really aren't many better options around at the minute.

Maybe the sudden availability of Steve Clarke forced their hand.

It was inevitable really after the West Ham capitulation.

Seems to me that AVB struggled at both Chelsea and Spurs to gain the respect of his players and lacked authority as a result. I suspect his relative youth played a part in that but his personality always came across as rather aloof too.

However that said I think the players themselves were pretty disgraceful at Chelsea in particular in undermining the chap.

Capello was at their game sunday. It'll be him.

This.

Can't see Levy going for MP now - he won't be in the mood for another young, unproven European manager.

He'll go tried and trusted, experience and authority. So almost certainly Capello or Neil Warnock.

If we lost Pochettino somehow, the first person I'd be hoping we're linked with as manager is Laudrup. Would he be big enough for Spurs? Hoddle would be a mistake for them. I think they need someone really experienced in there, like Guus Hiddink.

Why would Hiddink/Capello want to go there?

All the Bale money has been spent, the dressing room is obviously not right after the large amount of new blood arriving, the Premier League is unusually open this year and the expectations of the club/fans is sky high.

Tricky, tricky job and a potential hiding to nothing.

What did he say? (nothing in BBC postmatch interview that I saw).

It was on MOTD2.

He was asked if the signings were his players, and he gave a strange evasive answer.

Used the line "I don't know if I can make this public" (or very similar), before stopping and then continually using "we", when talking about the incoming players.

Granted, 'we' isn't that weird in modern football when in comes to transfers - but it was more the manner of the delivery I guess.

Why would Hiddink/Capello want to go there?

All the Bale money has been spent, the dressing room is obviously not right after the large amount of new blood arriving, the Premier League is unusually open this year and the expectations of the club/fans is sky high.

Tricky, tricky job and a potential hiding to nothing.

Big underachieving club with an expensive, underachieving squad that despite this is still 7th and only 2 wins off the champions league places. Great opportunity to take the club back there. And as you say the Bale money has gone but their net spend was only £5m, so there will still be money available to strengthen. A tricky job or a tremendous opportunity? Depends on your perspective.

It was on MOTD2.

He was asked if the signings were his players, and he gave a strange evasive answer.

Used the line "I don't know if I can make this public" (or very similar), before stopping and then continually using "we", when talking about the incoming players.

Granted, 'we' isn't that weird in modern football when in comes to transfers - but it was more the manner of the delivery I guess.

Ah, interesting, ta. Not a surprise I guess

Big underachieving club with an expensive, underachieving squad that despite this is still 7th and only 2 wins off the champions league places. Great opportunity to take the club back there. And as you say the Bale money has gone but their net spend was only £5m, so there will still be money available to strengthen. A tricky job or a tremendous opportunity? Depends on your perspective.

True

I would see two men with essentially nothing to prove like Hiddink and Capello as not being the type to who this would appeal. A Laudrup? Yes.... An older stager? No.

Don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I think it is both.

Much like Moyes at United.

BbmqDX0CUAAfz2y.jpg:large

Good to see 6 of the top 8 good old fashioned english managers like David Pleat and Gerry Francis who know how to play football properly. You didnt seem them signing glove wearing pansies from Roma. They never messed around with these fancy formations. Look at the bottom 3, everytime they employ one of these clueless poncey foreigners it goes wrong. Keep it English, keep it 4-4-2, get it in the mixer. It works.

True

I would see two men with essentially nothing to prove like Hiddink and Capello as not being the type to who this would appeal. A Laudrup? Yes.... An older stager? No.

Nothing to prove but also nothing to lose. Do well and it's because they are a great manager, do badly and it's because it was AVB's squad and he didn't have a clue what he was doing. Is their reputation going to be tarnished by keeping Spurs as a top 5-8 club and lets face it, they wont finish lower than that. Not really.

Should've been given more time, seems that AVB has been f*cked over at both Spurs and Chelsea now. Seems that he didn't want most of the signings they made in the summer, they bought far too many players for too much money.

Capello will be a good appointment for them, but he will have a big job on his hands trying to get that squad organised.

Nothing to prove but also nothing to lose. Do well and it's because they are a great manager, do badly and it's because it was AVB's squad and he didn't have a clue what he was doing.

Is their reputation going to be tarnished by keeping Spurs as a top 5-8 club and they wont finish lower than that? Not really.

It wouldn't be particularly enhanced either, do they need the b*llsh*t and pressure?

There are reasons for and against, i'm still more inclined against mind.

Good to see 6 of the top 8 good old fashioned english managers like David Pleat and Gerry Francis who know how to play football properly. You didnt seem them signing glove wearing pansies from Roma. They never messed around with these fancy formations. Look at the bottom 3, everytime they employ one of these clueless poncey foreigners it goes wrong. Keep it English, keep it 4-4-2, get it in the mixer. It works.

Not anymore it doesn't.

Don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I think it is both.

Much like Moyes at United.

Moyes had a much more difficult job taking over the league champions and from arugably the best manager of all time. The Spurs job is more of an opportunity as they have a very good squad on paper yet have failed to break into the top clubs in this country and only won one major trophy in 20 years.

Moyes had a much more difficult job taking over the league champions and from arugably the best manager of all time. The Spurs job is more of an opportunity as they have a very good squad on paper yet have failed to break into the top clubs in this country and only won one major trophy in 20 years.

I agree the United job is harder, for the reasons you give.

I just think it's also fair to say it's a tricky job and a tremendous opportunity. Much like the Spurs job.

This.

Can't see Levy going for MP now - he won't be in the mood for another young, unproven European manager.

He'll go tried and trusted, experience and authority. So almost certainly Capello or Neil Warnock.

Exactly but he will still ultimately hold Baldini and the manager in his puppet strings, you can attribute Spurs' successes and failures to Levy IMO due to his constant meddling.

AVB will be Porto bound and will prove his worth again, he is a decent manager IMO. Spurs changed far too much too quickly this year. Was the massive spree Levy or AVB ? My money is on Levy.

For me a crazy sacking, you dont build a decent team without giving managers time.

I actually do quite like AVB, I think he's got good methods, but if you get spanked 6-0 and 5-0 in a month then people will be asking questions.

Can't see Cortese letting Pochettino go when he's only at the start of the project.

Can't honestly see Mpo being a serious candidate anyway. Why Spurs would probably have sacked him by now anyway if they'd had our last 5 results that is. Still think they'll take Laudrup, he won't want to hang about in Swansea for ever.

Exactly but he will still ultimately hold Baldini and the manager in his puppet strings, you can attribute Spurs' successes and failures to Levy IMO due to his constant meddling.

AVB will be Porto bound and will prove his worth again, he is a decent manager IMO. Spurs changed far too much too quickly this year. Was the massive spree Levy or AVB ? My money is on Levy.

For me a crazy sacking, you dont build a decent team without giving managers time.

Surely the massive spending spree was a result of selling Bale which I guess was on the cards all summer. If they hadn't spent the money most of it would have gone to the Revenue anyway, no point in making a profit any more.

Not too surprised, think AVB flatters to deceive and Bale papered over a lot of cracks last season.

Spurs are potentially joint (with Utd) biggest club in the country IMO. A massive catchment area that stretches around large parts of N.London right up through the home counties and into East Anglia\southern midlands They are held back by a boxed in stadium, get an Emirates style bigger one and they'd fill it.

Unlike their near neighbours they have consistently underachieved and it rankles. Hence a rather trigger like tendency to eject managers when sometimes they should keep.