AVB sacked!!

bowers-sfc

Hoddle took over Saints from a good manager who had assembled a decent team but was underperforming. That manager left in surprising circumstances. Hoddle stayed a year, made us tough to beat, but playing solid, passing football and we shot up the table.

Hoddle fled to Spurs after 12 months.

Obviously that couldn't happen again. Obviously.

Oh god.

Er. Why not?

Because spurs prim donnas cannot play a pressing game and we would not be allowed to blood spurs academy players that's why not!

Could Potch really go?

I'd like to think that NC wouldn't let him and that we could match any wages he gets offered...

But like it or not they are a much bigger club than us and would be a pretty attractive prospect to any manager.

I don't think MP will go, mainly because NC will not let it happen now and MP will probably think he might as well hang in with us and wait for something better (ie not worth fighting Cortese over). At this point I don't see MP as being so ravenously ambitious that he will jump at the first chance.

But who knows? In fairness in the next two/three years what is MP going to be offered that is bigger than Spurs?

It would be a massive opportunity for him IMO, and so I dont get why so many people sre ruling it out as if its complete nonsense. I am more optimist then pesimist but even I would say its 'unlikely' but certainly could happen.

MP is highly rated in the game, has worked wonders at Saints so far. Its not about staying for a season to 'see how it goes' its respecting the work he has put in so far and the way he has got us organised. We will be very lucky to keep him for the long term in my honest opinion as for me he really is very very good.

Thinking logically I really dont think it will be him, as much as Levy might want to ruin another coaches credentials. If I was Poch Id be a little wary though, despite the kneejerk crap you hear about him being a poor manager I would say he was unlucky and not given the benefit of the doubt. Abramovich tasked him with getting tid of the old guard at chelsea, a task which eventually cost him the job and similarly he was thrown some big players in replacement for Bale which again ultimately didnt work

In short Levy is a poison little dwarf

Could Potch really go?

I'd like to think that NC wouldn't let him and that we could match any wages he gets offered...

But like it or not they are a much bigger club than us and would be a pretty attractive prospect to any manager.

I just don't see the Spurs job being particularly attractive to him. Can't see many affinities within their group of players and there are quite a few there who wouldn't seem to work hard enough for him.

Hiddink, or Simeone I reckon

maybe even Klopp if he fancies a change, but they are still in the CL

then you have klinnsman at the end of the season

Klinnsman probably isnt a bad shout actually jamie, Klopp isnt though, he'd be mental to take that job.

Zola ? I cant see that working, itll be rediculous to replace AVB with Zola IMO

Pochettino is a smart cookie with an almost religious zeal for a certain type of football, and I don't see him going anywhere that doesn't have the type of players who can function within that style. Besides his commitment to a certain style, I think he relishes the challenge of bringing through younger players who are familiar with the style and have the skills, smarts and energy not just to play it, but also to progress to - and even beyond - the next level. And to cap it off, I think he genuinely enjoys being part of Cortese's "project".

Spurs tick virtually none of those boxes - not many teams do tick them. So I can't see us losing him any time soon. And if we do lose him, I wouldn't mind betting that Cortese has a well developed contingency plan that would see us maintain exactly the same course.

If we're taking mattresses to hotels and building training surfaces to match upcoming pitches, it's laughable to think that Cortese doesn't have a plan for Pochettino's departure. MP came in from out of the blue, and his replacement probably will as well.

Don't underestimate the following:

- Poch's recognition that Cortese had faith in him when nobody in English football had heard of him. He was prepared to back him in a big way and MP also seems to have appreciated that. In the summer he said he would leave if NC left, and I don't think he would suddenly screw over Cortese.

- Saints' vision with the Academy and getting players into the first team. This fits with MP's beliefs and isnt something that is likely to happen at some other clubs.

- We have some good players, are playing good footy, and with a couple of additions arent really miles off Spurs.

Pochettino is a smart cookie with an almost religious zeal for a certain type of football, and I don't see him going anywhere that doesn't have the type of players who can function within that style. Besides his commitment to a certain style, I think he relishes the challenge of bringing through younger players who are familiar with the style and have the skills, smarts and energy not just to play it, but also to progress to - and even beyond - the next level. And to cap it off, I think he genuinely enjoys being part of Cortese's "project".

Spurs tick virtually none of those boxes - not many teams do tick them. So I can't see us losing him any time soon. And if we do lose him, I wouldn't mind betting that Cortese has a well developed contingency plan that would see us maintain exactly the same course.

If we're taking mattresses to hotels and building training surfaces to match upcoming pitches, it's laughable to think that Cortese doesn't have a plan for Pochettino's departure. MP came in from out of the blue, and his replacement probably will as well.

Spurs clearly do tick some of those boxes. They are pretty good on young players for a start.

- Poch's recognition that Cortese had faith in him when nobody in English football had heard of him. He was prepared to back him in a big way and MP also seems to have appreciated that. In the summer he said he would leave if NC left, and I don't think he would suddenly screw over Cortese.

- Saints' vision with the Academy and getting players into the first team. This fits with MP's beliefs and isnt something that is likely to happen at some other clubs.

- We have some good players, are playing good footy, and with a couple of additions arent really miles off Spurs.

I also wouldn't underestimate filthy lucre, London, and European football. But I bloody hope what you highlight eclipses that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spurs clearly do tick some of those boxes. They are pretty good on young players for a start.

Not as good as us, and they have a number of very expensive players who are extremely hard to leave out but arguably unsuited to MP's tactical style.

Do you think Spurs would appeal to him more than staying here?

We are just about equal to Spurs now a couple of additions we will certainly be ahead of them this season no matter who comes in at WHL, you simply cannot build a new team in one season (I cite Citeh as an example)

MP stays another year? Well, in that time Utd, CHelski & Arsenal jobs would all probably become available. If Pelligrini doesn't win the League & gets battered by Barc then Citeh also.

Until Spuds build that new stadium they are NOT going to live up to the expectations of their fans. MP is exceeding our expectations.

He ain't stupid we know that

Not as good as us, and they have a number of very expensive players who are extremely hard to leave out but arguably unsuited to MP's tactical style.

Well it might do. They are significantly bigger than we are.

Disclaimer - If you have found any of Smirking_Saints posts in any way helpful, or even if you haven't please take the time to vote for him in this officially verified poll https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F9NDRBT

NB - Did you know a recent survey found all other nominees to be portsmouth fans

what's all this hustings lark about then ?

Here is the Echo report from May 16th with quotes from Pochettino

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/10423502.Pochettino_says_he_will_leave_Saints_if_Cortese_goes/?ref=arc

Mauricio Pochettino says he will leave Southampton if Nicola Cortese goes

''When I first arrived here, nobody knew who Mauricio Pochettino was,'' the Saints boss added.

''Nicola put his faith in me and knew me from way, way back.

''When I got to know his project, we were basically on the same wavelength as to what we wanted for Southampton in the future.

''Basically, my future in Southampton has to be with Nicola.''

Reading that article again the only way I see him going is if Nicola was to buy out Joe Lewis.

One of the names linked is Franco Baldini, and to all purposes he's been signing all their players anyway! He was assistant coach with Capello for England, so could see him taking charge until the New season with maybe Capello for next season, and Franco Baldini standing in as his assistant.

I certainty don't see MP going anyway. Just bloody frustrated that once again, we will probably have to face that bloody new manager syndrome. How many times have we been dealt that hand in the last few years???

I don't think MP will go, mainly because NC will not let it happen now and MP will probably think he might as well hang in with us and wait for something better (ie not worth fighting Cortese over). At this point I don't see MP as being so ravenously ambitious that he will jump at the first chance.

But who knows? In fairness in the next two/three years what is MP going to be offered that is bigger than Spurs?

That depends on whether he is successful or not !

I think it's naive to think Spurs are not a bigger draw than Saints. There are reasons why he might want to stay but Spurs could easily offer him the same 'project' but at a higher level. One thing that could put him off though is the fact that WHL is a manager's graveyard.

I don't think Spurs would be interested to be honest. Poch has done well with us but it's not like he has won anything yet, we've spent a fortune and are 9th - that's it.

You saved me a lot of typing there.

MP is going nowhere. He has proven already that he makes commitments and stands by them. he is going nowhere for the time being.

He won't go but not for the reasons you suggest. If anything, I see quite a few affinities between our style and tottenham's sans the pace. AVB also subscribes to the pressing game and they have a lot of hardworking, industrious midfielders to execute this strategy.

MP won't go because contrary to mongboard wisdom, money isn't everything and loyalty still matters.

Why would Hiddink/Capello want to go there?

All the Bale money has been spent, the dressing room is obviously not right after the large amount of new blood arriving, the Premier League is unusually open this year and the expectations of the club/fans is sky high.

Tricky, tricky job and a potential hiding to nothing.

Totally agree. Jol finished 5th in successive seasons (some achievement at the time), Redknapp made the CL and still ended up being forced out and AVB had the highest PL win percentage of any manager. They have fans who boo every week if their team are not in the top 4 but don't have a big enough stadium to consistently compete sustainably at the top of English football. Why would hugely respected big hitting European coaches take that job for any reason other than working in London and taking the money?

Totally agree. Jol finished 5th in successive seasons (some achievement at the time), Redknapp made the CL and still ended up being forced out and AVB had the highest PL win percentage of any manager. They have fans who boo every week if their team are not in the top 4 but don't have a big enough stadium to consistently compete sustainably at the top of English football. Why would hugely respected big hitting European coaches take that job for any reason other than working in London and taking the money?

Why did Hiddink and Capello both take the Russian job, and in Hiddinks case the Anzi job if not for money?

They are both great managers, th nothing left to prove, so may as well follow the pay check.

Anyway Guus is taking over Holland next summer, so that's him out.

Spurs may be a bigger club than us but they are nowhere near as big a club as their fans think they are. They haven't won the league for over 50 years. I cannot remember the last time that they came close to winning it - but many Spurs fans always think that next year will be their year. Spurs fans are the north London equivalent of the Skates when it comes to delusion.

Trying to satisfy the demands of these fans must be one of the most thankless tasks in football - so for no other reason I think that MP is unlikely to leave us for Spurs.