Random acts of kindness

SO16_Saint

Thought I'd share, after all the moaning on the 'what annoys you'thread.

For the last 5 months or so, every Wednesday, my son sits on our bedroom windowsill and waves at the bin men and they kindly wave back at our him (just turned 2).

This morning, my boy was playing in the living room and heard them. He and his mum went out to wish them a merry Christmas, and they came over to him and gave him a chocolate Santa.

It's not a big thing, but it made my boys day and shows that people do care it's not always 'just a job'

Well done and thank you to the kind bin men of Southampton.

What else has made you smile recently?

For the last 5 months or so, every Wednesday, my son sits on our bedroom windowsill and waves at the bin men and they kindly wave back at our him (just turned 2).

This morning, my boy was playing in the living room and heard them. He and his mum went out to wish them a merry Christmas, and they came over to him and gave him a chocolate Santa.

It's not a big thing, but it made my boys day and shows that people do care it's not always 'just a job'

Nice story, unfortunately nothing for me lately though those small moments through the years have always stuck in my mind, they do matter.

I was parking my car in Cardiff a couple of years ago, scrabbling around in my pockets for money for the parking meter, when a young Welsh chap, passing by, asked if I needed any change. It turned out, not only did I not have enough change, I also had no notes. Young Welsh chap handed me a £2 coin, said ‘have that one on me, mate’, and strolled off down the road.

Thats nice, always good people about I think, when our baby was born people we only knew to simply say hello to in passing where we live knocked on the door with flowers, cards and gifts, its was a lovely thing to do, its nice to be nice.

Sometimes you need someone to prompt you to do something nice. At Winter wonderland in Hyde Park a couple of weeks ago I bought too many of the non refundable vouchers needed to go on any of the rides. By 7pm we'd had enough and were heading home and i made a small grumble about £17 of wasted vouchers. It was my 8 year old daughter who insisted we should give them away and she chose a young lad out with his girlfriend, maybe only 16 years old who was getting £10 worth at the booth. He and she were so so chuffed when offered the freebies it actually made it one of the highlights of the night.

Edited by buctootim

Bearsy likes to sleep with the fat ugly women who normally wouldn't see any action. Very kind of him.

Although some are not appreciative of his techniques.

This is true, i was just thinking bout hitting brum tonight doing a bit of charity work. I'm a lot like Jesus!

Many years ago I was at Rownhams one evening waiting in my car behind an Ever-Ready delivery van at a set of temporary traffic lights when a cyclist came through in the opposite direction. His rear light fell off and before he could pick it up a car had driven over it and smashed it. In the space of a few seconds the driver of the Ever-Ready van had leapt out of his cab, ran round to the back, opened the door, grabbed a box with a new lamp and had tossed it to the cyclist. He was back in his cab just as the lights changed.

I know this thread is about random acts of kindness and I suppose the following is but also with a Christmas twist. An old army collegue of mine contacted an ex forces facebook page asking if anyone had a games console to sell for his kid. I know through his page that he has had some issues lately and things have been rough so I have sent him my Wii plus all the bits and bobs for nothing. I also paid for the post. My missus questioned me (she is a colder more cynical type whereas I am an old romantic) and I told her that despite all the decorations, music etc; I actually feel more Christmassy than ever. Isn't that what Christmas should be about? I reckon life is full of kind acts, but they never get the focus that the opposite acts seem to do.

Acts of kindness are very uplifting.

I recall on the 93 England Sri Lankan cricket tour full of Lion's lager wandering back to our hotel after a cheery evening and stumbling across a beggar asleep on the street sadly there are many in this part of the world. Aesthetically nature had not been kind to him and I had seen him about the Gore Road. We had a quick whip round and must have put a hundred pounds in Rupees under his pillow. I often wonder what he thought when he awoke.

Edited by Sergei Gotsmanov