Gazzaniga Joins Spurs

Batman

why are there so many morons on this board? Gazza has come in as a youngster and has had players like Fox and Hooiveld in front of him. he was excellent today and made some very good claims under pressure and had 1 dodgy kick. For those armchair managers out there - have you forgotten Boruc's mental aberrations?

Absolute morons - wonder who the next scapegoat will be?

This is shaping up to be a good season (despite the recent form) and still people can only seem to moan and scapegoat players. Players like Gazza will only get better the more games that they play:unfortunately the likes of Hooiveld and Fox will never get better because of their age.

I was pleased for Gazzaniga today, he made a couple of decent saves and caught the ball under pressure a couple of times too. The clean sheet should help his confidence. He will get better, and a break from the pressure will do him good when Boruc comes back. It has been hard with all the injuries and I would have preferred him to get experience in a cup run, but the appearances he has made over the last few weeks have been good for him.

Would have helped playing away today because by and large our travelling support is more supportive than at SMS. He was shiete , but some of the moaning then ironic cheers against spurs was pretty bad form. I thought he looked slightly better today, but still doesn't quite look the part yet. Young keepers tend to make errors, but they're mental, positional or judgemental errors, whilst making some good saves and being a good shot stopper. What worries me is he doesn't appear to even be a particular good shot stopper and has a worrying trait of going wth the "wrong" hand. The offside effort today and John Terrys goal highlighted this.

Not saying much, but today was his best game this season, hopefully he can build on it at Everton . Its another away game and this season they dont bomb it into the box as much as they used to. I just hope that this rough spell is the making of the guy , rather than the ruin of him. But, I'm going to take quite a bit of convincing before thinking he'll get a chance again. It would be interesting to know MP real thoughts on the guy and how well he does in training.

why are there so many morons on this board? Gazza has come in as a youngster and has had players like Fox and Hooiveld in front of him. he was excellent today and made some very good claims under pressure and had 1 dodgy kick. For those armchair managers out there - have you forgotten Boruc's mental aberrations?

Absolute morons - wonder who the next scapegoat will be?

This is shaping up to be a good season (despite the recent form) and still people can only seem to moan and scapegoat players. Players like Gazza will only get better the more games that they play:unfortunately the likes of Hooiveld and Fox will never get better because of their age.

Top post.

He hasn't made any mistakes on purpose and comes across as a nice lad too so I've got nothing against him. He was the first one to rush over to our away end at the final whistle today and waited for ages for a member of his family to come down to get his match shirt off him.

Would have helped playing away today because by and large our travelling support is more supportive than at SMS. He was shiete , but some of the moaning then ironic cheers against spurs was pretty bad form. I thought he looked slightly better today, but still doesn't quite look the part yet. Young keepers tend to make errors, but they're mental, positional or judgemental errors, whilst making some good saves and being a good shot stopper. What worries me is he doesn't appear to even be a particular good shot stopper and has a worrying trait of going wth the "wrong" hand. The offside effort today and John Terrys goal highlighted this.

Not saying much, but today was his best game this season, hopefully he can build on it at Everton . Its another away game and this season they dont bomb it into the box as much as they used to. I just hope that this rough spell is the making of the guy , rather than the ruin of him. But, I'm going to take quite a bit of convincing before thinking he'll get a chance again. It would be interesting to know MP real thoughts on the guy and how well he does in training.

Very fair post.

I have been a critic of " the management " who left us in the position of NOT having a suitable back-up /contender for Boruc's place, and playing this inexperienced youngster.

Gazza. will surely improve (given time) and I will admit that today was his best performance so far .....BUT he wasn't tested in the way that top 6 teams will attack and thats what matters.

However, as others have mentioned a clean sheet will help his confidence. IF he plays v Everton and keeps a clean sheet there, I may re-evaluate my opinion, but ......we'll wait and see.

I was pleased for Gazzaniga today, he made a couple of decent saves and caught the ball under pressure a couple of times too. The clean sheet should help his confidence. He will get better, and a break from the pressure will do him good when Boruc comes back. It has been hard with all the injuries and I would have preferred him to get experience in a cup run, but the appearances he has made over the last few weeks have been good for him.

Yep

Pleased for Gazza today. You could see the joy and relief he felt.

He couldn't wait to get over to "us" at the final whistle. Happy days.

Pretty much agree with all that. If Davis is now fit, would we have him back in for the Everton game? Probably should do really.

It was interesting that Davis now appears to be fit but was only named on the bench. Many were expecting him to go back into the starting line-up today (well I was anyway) but Poch kept faith with Gazza and was rewarded with an improved performance. Could it be that Gazza is the real number 2 and Davis the number 3? I guess we will find out the answer to that in the next match, but I'd be surprised if Gazza were to be dropped now after today's clean sheet.

Fair play to whoever got into Gazza's head between Sunday and today. He looked like he believed he should be there and that's a first this season. He did OK today, not great (by any stretch) but definitely a step up from where he has been.

He was far more pro-active today and for the first time he looked like he was part of a team (rather than a competition winner who was standing between the sticks and didn't know anybody's name).

Think he's been hard done by where people are dissing his celebrations at the final whistle; I thought it was great - he ran the length of the pitch at the final whistle to celebrate (apologise/repent) with the travelling faithful, and then didn't know what to do when he got there.

Still not convinced, he made a couple of saves today,and his kicking was generally OK - still miles to go if he is to be the long-term answer. I would prefer KD to play at Everton if fit.

He's been doing fine - Goalkeepers need a lot of experience and he is building that up good. Remember everyone that he is only 21 which is young for an ordinary player, let alone a keeper which generally seem to peak more in their 30's.

He is not doing fine. He has been appalling in general.

You would not say he is fine if he was an opposing keeper

He's been doing fine - Goalkeepers need a lot of experience and he is building that up good. Remember everyone that he is only 21 which is young for an ordinary player, let alone a keeper which generally seem to peak more in their 30's.

Doing fine?? Did you see the Spurs game??? Your point is a very generic truism, that everyone is aware of, but that doesn't apply here.

Frankly I don't care how old he is. He has a spot on the field at a Premier League club and so needs to be held to a certain standard if he wants to remain in his position. We are not his parents - if he's not up to the task he should be moved on.

I still think he is what he is and essentially a 3rd choice keeper who may get better (jury obviously still out).

However if he stays as our 3rd choice for the rest of his career, it's not a bad option to have. I doubt many other PL clubs 3rd choice is of particular quality, so I'm not sure what can be expected more from him.

Our biggest problem is that we dont have a proper No. 2 to challenge Boruc and that does need to be rectified at some point.

He's showing the same kind of indecision that de Gea did in his first season - and no I'm not comparing the two in any other way. It's difficult for young keepers to command and show the necessary presence we associate with experienced peers.

The staff see him every day and know what he's capable of. Time will tell if he shows it in the pressure cooker of the Premier league, but there is truly only one way to find out.

All keepers make mistakes which inevitably lead to goals.

I'm prepared to give the kid time

there is a major shortage of goalkeeping coaches across the UK' date=' but i will be e-mailing the FA today to tell them to read this thread because the shortage can be solved overnight[/quote']

Why do you have to be a goalkeeper coach to have an opinion? A lot of 'qualified' coaches were crap players, but can afford the thousands it costs to go through the FA coaching program.

I didn't say that, but keeping a clean sheet against top class opposition (away) is surely some sort of benchmark - isn't it ?

Anyone (out there) old enough to remember Eric Martin's debut ?

don't think you can really compare Martin and Gazzaniga because the game is so radically different. In my opinion (and I know it's not widely held or poplular) very few players of the 60s,70s and 80s would be playing their football much above semi-pro level in current times. If that wasn't the case Chelsea would still be fielding sides with 11 UK nationals and not 10 foreigners and Terry.On an average PL game day you must have about what 1 in 4 UK nationals in starting XIs so where have the others gone? they've drifted down the ranks to lower levels.

Edited by Window Cleaner

don't think you can really compare Martin and Gazzaniga because the game is so radically different. In my opinion (and I know it's not widely held or poplular) very few players of the 60s,70s and 80s would be playing their football much above semi-pro level in current times. If that wasn't the case Chelsea would still be fielding sides with 11 UK nationals and not 10 foreigners and Terry.On an average PL game day you must have about what 1 in 4 UK nationals in starting XIs so where have the others gone? they've drifted down the ranks to lower levels.

I wasn't seeiing to compare Eric Martin and Gazzaniga, but I recall that Martin was a hero in keeping a clean sheet in his debut game (1967) at Goodison Park. It was a rare win in those days.

...and would be even more so now,but if Gazzaniga were to keep a clean sheet, I might re-assess my opinion of him, because the PG I've watched since last year doesn't fill me with confidence.:scared:

I was also pleased that Gazza kept a clean sheet including claiming some catches under pressure but..... the stats show that Cardiff produced ZERO (yes, zero) attempts on target the whole match.

Admittedly he did save an offside effort and a possible OG from Fonte ...... but tomorrow at Everton there will certainly not be ZERO attempts on his goal.

Unless he really is up to the mark he can expect to be under the cosh.... and possibly picking the ball out of the net more than once

Its impossible to compare one era with another one, so you think these 9 stone South Americans would have lasted 5 minutes on a winter pitch 2 inch deep in mud, a heavy ball and the 70s and 80s style midfield hardmen that every team had in those days?

Its impossible to compare one era with another one, so you think these 9 stone South Americans would have lasted 5 minutes on a winter pitch 2 inch deep in mud, a heavy ball and the 70s and 80s style midfield hardmen that every team had in those days?

Prob not but a hardman clogger from the 70's and 80's wouldn't hack it with todays speed of surface, fitness, professionalism and technical ability.

Prob not but a hardman clogger from the 70's and 80's wouldn't hack it with todays speed of surface, fitness, professionalism and technical ability.

And what is more they'd be sent off time and time again and eventualy banned permanently. Football today is as it is, if Chelsea and Man U could win the CL with hackers from Tooting Bec and Oldham they would but they can't so they don't.

• 3 years later...

Our keeping situation is crazy. The England keeping coach has seemingly made them worse. Forster has an awful season and gets rewarded with a new contract. Mccarthy spends all year injured, seems to have recovered and then disappears again without mention. Taylor doesn't play but gets a new contract despite the fact he'll probably never play. Lewis, who has obvious talent, gets chucked in at the deep end and then thrown aside with his confidence probably in shatters. Then there's Gazza. He's clearly a good keeper but needed games. He got them and assuming Mccarthy is injured or whatever, should be around the place to challenge Forster. Crazy decisions have been made and we're left with a poor keeper on a long deal with no competition.

Our keeping situation is crazy. The England keeping coach has seemingly made them worse. Forster has an awful season and gets rewarded with a new contract. Mccarthy spends all year injured, seems to have recovered and then disappears again without mention. Taylor doesn't play but gets a new contract despite the fact he'll probably never play. Lewis, who has obvious talent, gets chucked in at the deep end and then thrown aside with his confidence probably in shatters. Then there's Gazza. He's clearly a good keeper but needed games. He got them and assuming Mccarthy is injured or whatever, should be around the place to challenge Forster. Crazy decisions have been made and we're left with a poor keeper on a long deal with no competition.

Exactly this. It's bizarre. We have many GK on our books and pre-season is the chance to rotate them. Yet only Forster plays. Genuinely concerned. Never mind VVD situation, the area of concern is the GK role.

Good riddance, not good enough and a wasted player in the squad along with 3/4 of our midfield and CB's.

Those who think he's better than FF clearly never saw him play for us. This bloke really doesn't save anything.

Good riddance, not good enough and a wasted player in the squad along with 3/4 of our midfield and CB's.

Those who think he's better than FF clearly never saw him play for us. This bloke really doesn't save anything.

In his first years I would agree, he improved markedly later when given a chance IIRC. Don't remember him playing in ages to be honest so maybe he is decent back-up now?

In his first years I would agree, he improved markedly later when given a chance IIRC. Don't remember him playing in ages to be honest so maybe he is decent back-up now?

I can imagine that he's certainly better back-up than Taylor is....but then Taylor supposedly has locker-room bantz, which I keep forgetting to factor in :mcinnes:

I can imagine that he's certainly better back-up than Taylor is....but then Taylor supposedly has locker-room bantz, which I keep forgetting to factor in :mcinnes:

An ageing Tommy Forecast then, a player whose best claim to fame was as a 'party animal'.

Taylor did surprisingly well in his 45 minutes in France, but someone has to sit on the bench when the other keeper is getting a game, and we have lots of teams.

• 2 weeks later...

Curious why this deal is taking so long. Has to be that it's part of a bigger deal involving Spurs.

Maybe we're waiting to have Hoedt over the line before announcing that we're bringing in Wimmer. Announcing it before Hoedt has put pen to paper may make him nervous of a regular first team place.

but of course if you put those players from the 60's or 70's into todays clubs, they would be fitter. We are doing a disservice to those players who did not have the advantages of the more modern physios and science we have now.

Greaves would still score loads of goals, Charlton and Lorimer would still score worldies, and Bobby Moore still look a class above most of his peers.

Exactly this. It's bizarre. We have many GK on our books and pre-season is the chance to rotate them. Yet only Forster plays. Genuinely concerned. Never mind VVD situation, the area of concern is the GK role.

Couldn't agree more. Gazza came to the club with a lot of excitement as the next big thing. He was playing week in week out at Gillingham and we have had in reserve for years without really giving him a good run. I always thought he did well when he came in and looks a lot more mobile than Fraser. His distribution is far better and he is happy to come off his line. Just needed games with a decent back 4 in front of him.

Poch ain't no mug, he knows he's getting a good keeper. Our loss, Spurs gain

Couldn't agree more. Gazza came to the club with a lot of excitement as the next big thing. He was playing week in week out at Gillingham and we have had in reserve for years without really giving him a good run. I always thought he did well when he came in and looks a lot more mobile than Fraser. His distribution is far better and he is happy to come off his line. Just needed games with a decent back 4 in front of him.

Poch ain't no mug, he knows he's getting a good keeper. Our loss, Spurs gain

Gazza was generally poor when he came in, let in many ridiculous goals

how he kept his place ahead of Boruc for as long as he did was just plain weird and an obvious stand-off between Adkins and those above him

losing our 3rd choice keeper is no loss and no gain to spurs what so ever.

IF gazza had any ambition, he would go to play 1st team football at this stage in his career