Fitness goals for 2014

Turkish

Aiming to get down to 100kg (currently 120kg). Just cycling at present with the aim of doing a Century in October (New Forest one). Already doing 30-milers and next challenge is the Isle of Wight sportive in July. Hard work for a fat bastard but definitely having an affect - I was 21st when I started cycling regularly last May. Its the only form of exercise I genuinely enjoy - I think the fact that you have no choice but to cycle home again is a big help for me. Far too easy to feel knackered in the gym and go for an early shower whereas last weekend I was knackered at Burley and knew I had 10 miles to go before I could stop.

Good man, spot on. Although I do head to the gym and play squash, now the weather is better the first love will always be the mountain bike, preferably as far from any roads as possible. I head to the Chilterns, or Swinley Forest, Bracknell (about 20 mins drive for me) which has purpose built mountain bike trails. 20k of demanding & technical course later and it feels like several sessions in the gym, just 1000% more fun.

Been at Pure since it opened. It's good value for money, but absolutely rammed in the evenings.

Thanks for that, I think most gyms are rammed between 5 and 8!!!

You mentioned you were trying a kettlebell work out, do they have them at Pure?

Aiming to get down to 100kg (currently 120kg). Just cycling at present with the aim of doing a Century in October (New Forest one). Already doing 30-milers and next challenge is the Isle of Wight sportive in July. Hard work for a fat bastard but definitely having an affect - I was 21st when I started cycling regularly last May. Its the only form of exercise I genuinely enjoy - I think the fact that you have no choice but to cycle home again is a big help for me. Far too easy to feel knackered in the gym and go for an early shower whereas last weekend I was knackered at Burley and knew I had 10 miles to go before I could stop.

There is a Saints group on Strava. http://www.strava.com/dashboard?club_id=45350&feed_type=club

Whilst a century sounds daunting is very doable with a a steady increase in your training rides, sensible intake of calories whilst riding and a bit of grit. You do have the advantage, if you see it that way, of it being flat down there as well.

Edited by View From The Top

Have you ever tried any of the alternatives on this page:

https://www.onnit.com/fitness/

The gimmick Kettlebells I don't think would add much but the Steel Mace and Clubs are a proper old school workout.

I have been riding to work from Woolston to Chandlers Ford but need to add some form of resistance training as well. Has anyone tried Pure Gym in Bitterne or are there better ones on the area?

Im in pure 3 times a week, well stocked, good classes, instructors are good and its cheap as chips.

Wade is right though it can get v v busy, I only tend to use it for my weight work and try to get there early morning or early afternoon or else it just gets too busy.

Its non contract though so if you get fed up with it you can cancel.

Good work buddy.

Only just found this thread. Fitness has never really been a problem for me, it's more gaining weight. Hoping to get to around 80kg down the gym, currently 77.5. Been going for nearly 2 years I think now and it's slow progress, despite eating like a horse and using protein shakes.

Pretty much given up badminton after getting bored with the poor standard at my club. Just football now, despite limited talent.

Give the stronglifts 5x5 a go. Google it, is very good for building strength quickly. To build muscle lots of protein, get some creatine down you and 3,000 calories a of clean stuff, meats, chickens and veg. The claim is you'll add on 25 pounds of muscle in your first year following it. Im not sure about the muscle weight gain but it certainly adds KG's onto all your lifts quickly.

Have you ever tried any of the alternatives on this page:

https://www.onnit.com/fitness/

The gimmick Kettlebells I don't think would add much but the Steel Mace and Clubs are a proper old school workout.

I have been riding to work from Woolston to Chandlers Ford but need to add some form of resistance training as well. Has anyone tried Pure Gym in Bitterne or are there better ones on the area?

Used the steel bells before, pretty good all round bit of kit.

Was a member of Pure in Bitterne when i lived in Southampton, is a very good gym for the money. Good equipment, lots of classes and cheap.

Im in pure 3 times a week, well stocked, good classes, instructors are good and its cheap as chips.

Wade is right though it can get v v busy, I only tend to use it for my weight work and try to get there early morning or early afternoon or else it just gets too busy.

Its non contract though so if you get fed up with it you can cancel.

Thanks, have joined on the good advice from this thread, will try to get there before work or after 8.30 in the evening!!

I joined Pure with the extra gyms contract so I can go to the one by the station as well. Need some variety in my workouts as I lifted lots when I was younger but had no idea about nutrition!!!!

Used the steel bells before, pretty good all round bit of kit.

Was a member of Pure in Bitterne when i lived in Southampton, is a very good gym for the money. Good equipment, lots of classes and cheap.

Thanks mate, I went to website after the constant adverts on podcasts I listen to. The Steel Bells are the ones I thought looked like they were great for functional strength. The Clubs and Maces are the Middle-Eastern version of Kettlebells!

Pure sounds like a good gym so joined!!