Xbox One - what a joke

thesaint sfc

I'm really shocked at how unimpressed I am with this. I went out this morning and spent £500 on the console with Ghosts and Fifa 2014. I got it home and plugged it all in. Immediately I had to download a 700MB update before I could use the console. I then went to play ghosts - not on there. I had to download it. Ghosts started downloading at 10.30AM this morning and at about 4PM this afternoon finally finished. Fortunately I had fifa to play in the meantime which only took about 30 minutes to install (still ridiculous.) Every single one of the apps you can download bring additional cost bar 40d that I have been able to find. I've played fifa and COD and see very little improvement on the graphical interface over the xbox 360. Now I've played the opening scene of the campaign to ghosts and now it says it has to download more content before I can play any further. During the process of today I must have downloaded over 60GB just to play two sodding games. Playing games was never meant to be this difficult.

Is this really the future of gaming? I've been waiting to see what they come up with next since I bought the xbox in 2006 and f*ck me am I disappointed. I've spent £500 on something so unspectacular I wish I hadn't have bothered.

Both games seem very good, but I'd have rather just played them on my 360 and had a few less pixels and for as far as I'm concerned, a better gaming experience.

Both the next gen consoles do not have games that exploit their power but they will come.

Personally I think the Xbox has more chance of dominating in the long run because of the media angle. Voice control is good too (not perfect but promising)

I prefer downloaded games rather than disks as it means I don't have to get off the sofa to change them but can understand why that would frustrate on new purchase.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_276 using Board Express

The PS4 does this as well.

This must be jarring from a former 360 owner's point of view, which could never entirely rely on having a hard drive available, but the PS3, which did, often had first-time installation routines which you just had to wait for. From my experiences on PS4, seems to be a step up - a small portion of the game is made available while the game is installing. That's actually an improvement on early PS1 Namco games, which let you play one of their arcade classics while Ridge Racer was loading or whatever.

That said, the age of the Internet+Hard Drive has allowed a culture of games to be released in an incomplete state, something that would have been nigh on unthinkable in the solid-state cartridge days of the SNES and the Megadrive. I'd hate to have to play games without an internet connection these days.

1. CoD ghosts and FIFA 14 aren't the benchmark in the slightest. Ryse and Forza show off the One graphical capabilities best.

2. You must have a slow connection. On Day One the 700 Mb update was all sorted in 15 minutes.

3. Its impossible to read a blu-ray device fast enough for data to transfer and run games, hence the PS3, PS4 and Xbox One all require installations.

This is a joke post, yes? Good Christmas humour, I trust?

1. CoD ghosts and FIFA 14 aren't the benchmark in the slightest. Ryse and Forza show off the One graphical capabilities best.

Yes. Let's not compare games that run on both systems. Let us only consider games that are exclusive to XBox One. Forza's graphics are much better on the XBox One than they are on the non-existent Playstation 4 version, right? You can't even launch Ryse on a Playstation 4! The disc doesn't work! How sh!t is that?

The idea of a benchmark, dear sir, is to run the same kind of test in multiple test environments. Thus, one can determine which kind of environment is best for running the test. It turns out, in nearly all comparable tests, that the PS4 is giving the XBone a leathering.

2. You must have a slow connection. On Day One the 700 Mb update was all sorted in 15 minutes.

700Mb is chicken-feed for most connections. No disagreement here.

3. Its impossible to read a blu-ray device fast enough for data to transfer and run games, hence the PS3, PS4 and Xbox One all require installations.

Last-gen, Microsoft offered a 360 SKU that didn't have a hard drive, meaning that nearly every 360 game had to be bootable without a hard drive, even those that also were on Blu Ray media on PS3. It's just slower, and certainly for my tastes, unacceptably slow - but it's not accurate to say that you couldn't run most of game from a BR disc. It really depends on the game. It's not impossible. It's just unacceptable, and given the proliferation of hard drives at relatively cheap prices, just a crapload easier to set a hard drive as standard, rather than have your developers waste valuable man-hours trying to solve problems for cheapskates.

This is a joke post, yes? Good Christmas humour, I trust?

Yes. Let's not compare games that run on both systems. Let us only consider games that are exclusive to XBox One. Forza's graphics are much better on the XBox One than they are on the non-existent Playstation 4 version, right? You can't even launch Ryse on a Playstation 4! The disc doesn't work! How sh!t is that?

The idea of a benchmark, dear sir, is to run the same kind of test in multiple test environments. Thus, one can determine which kind of environment is best for running the test. It turns out, in nearly all comparable tests, that the PS4 is giving the XBone a leathering.

700Mb is chicken-feed for most connections. No disagreement here.

Last-gen, Microsoft offered a 360 SKU that didn't have a hard drive, meaning that nearly every 360 game had to be bootable without a hard drive, even those that also were on Blu Ray media on PS3. It's just slower, and certainly for my tastes, unacceptably slow - but it's not accurate to say that you couldn't run most of game from a BR disc. It really depends on the game. It's not impossible. It's just unacceptable, and given the proliferation of hard drives at relatively cheap prices, just a crapload easier to set a hard drive as standard, rather than have your developers waste valuable man-hours trying to solve problems for cheapskates.

I'm not making comparisons with anything. I never said graphics are better on one console or another. It's simply a factual statement that if you want to see the best graphics on Xbox One currently you need Ryse or Ford's 5.

I'm not making comparisons with anything. I never said graphics are better on one console or another. It's simply a factual statement that if you want to see the best graphics on Xbox One currently you need Ryse or Ford's 5.

What if you want the best graphics on a next generation console, irrespective of manufacturer? :)

Just why does technology like this inspire such bizarre fanboy-ism in otherwise rational adults!?

I'm mostly doing the fanboi stuff for the lols, Col. As I've said all along, the minute the XBox One has a killer application I'm interested in, one will be under my TV. On a pure bang for buck basis, the PS4 offers more right now.

I'm mostly doing the fanboi stuff for the lols, Col. As I've said all along, the minute the XBox One has a killer application I'm interested in, one will be under my TV. On a pure bang for buck basis, the PS4 offers more right now.

On a purely bang for buck reasoning the Xbox 360 and PS3 offer far more currently. I see no reason to buy a new console, none at all. Slightly improved graphics and physics? That's not worth the best part of half a grand.

On a purely bang for buck reasoning the Xbox 360 and PS3 offer far more currently. I see no reason to buy a new console, none at all. Slightly improved graphics and physics? That's not worth the best part of half a grand.

You're assuming the supply of games is going to roll on forever there, Col.

Both those platforms will be dropped in the coming year, pitched at the budget end of the crowd. The only question is how much commitment each platform holder has behind their current-gen consoles. The original XBox was dropped like a bad habit as soon as the 360 was released. The PS3 was released a year later, and PS2 stuff was still selling that year.

Ultimately the current-gen will be swept away, just as it has every time a new generation comes in. You'll buy a new console in the next two years.

Edited by pap

Both those platforms will be dropped like hot cakes in the coming year, pitched at the budget end of the crowd. The only question is how much commitment each platform holder has behind their current-gen consoles. The original XBox was dropped like a bad habit as soon as the 360 was released. The PS3 was released a year later, and PS2 stuff was still selling that year.

Ultimately the current-gen will be swept away, just as it has every time a new generation comes in. You'll buy a new console in the next two years.

The killer for me will be when Sky Go is no longer supported on the Xbox 360. Of course the games will not go on forever, there's money to be made and an evident market for anything new and shiny, but I don't use the units solely for that. In terms of the technology and capability there simply isn't the same capability jump as there previously has been. I waited until 2009 to get a prior generation console.... now, I honestly see no point in getting one, I don't have time to play the games in any serious way anymore.

Both those platforms will be dropped in the coming year, pitched at the budget end of the crowd. The only question is how much commitment each platform holder has behind their current-gen consoles. The original XBox was dropped like a bad habit as soon as the 360 was released. The PS3 was released a year later, and PS2 stuff was still selling that year.

I'll upgrade from PS3 to PS4 in the summer when the deals are better as I'm in no rush.

The nipper has no interest in going from XboX 360 to XboX One.

The time it takes to install discs onto the Xbox One is a massive downside imo, reminds me of how slow the PS3 was to for software updates when that came out compared to the 360 software update speed. Hopefully it's something that improves over time.

I did want to get a PS4 but my mates went for the Xbox One and online gaming is ****e when you're on your own.

Probably the worst out of box experience ever.

GF surprised me with one for my birthday and it took me a day and a half to actually get it up and running as it constantly failed at 81% on the day one update. Ended up downloading the ISO image off their support forums and rebuilding the entire thing.

Having said that, been pretty impressed. Skype integration is awesome, the snap too feature is great and actually useful, streaming speed on HD videos is better than Sky HD (no downloading wait on Xbox and I've no idea how they have done that - my internet speed Max's out at 5mb tops so impressed with that), haven't been overly bothered by the game install (you do it once after all). Never expected the first round of games to be that impressive so not too worried about that. The whole reason I wasn't going next gen yet was because there actually isn't any killer game on either yet.

Was always planning on getting both so was a nice surprise. Microsoft have gone for the living room space and to me, when they get the full UK TV integration they would have nailed it. Not quite sure if I would have been as happy if I had bought it, but i definitely wouldn't be disappointed.

Oh, nice mention for Xbox fitness too. That's definitely going to be part of my. New Years resolution.

Overall, 7/10 (probably 6/10 if I had actually paid for it).

Probably the worst out of box experience ever.

GF surprised me with one for my birthday and it took me a day and a half to actually get it up and running as it constantly failed at 81% on the day one update. Ended up downloading the ISO image off their support forums and rebuilding the entire thing.

Having said that, been pretty impressed. Skype integration is awesome, the snap too feature is great and actually useful, streaming speed on HD videos is better than Sky HD (no downloading wait on Xbox and I've no idea how they have done that - my internet speed Max's out at 5mb tops so impressed with that), haven't been overly bothered by the game install (you do it once after all). Never expected the first round of games to be that impressive so not too worried about that. The whole reason I wasn't going next gen yet was because there actually isn't any killer game on either yet.

Was always planning on getting both so was a nice surprise. Microsoft have gone for the living room space and to me, when they get the full UK TV integration they would have nailed it. Not quite sure if I would have been as happy if I had bought it, but i definitely wouldn't be disappointed.

Oh, nice mention for Xbox fitness too. That's definitely going to be part of my. New Years resolution.

Overall, 7/10 (probably 6/10 if I had actually paid for it).

You will, mate, you will.

Why not just build/buy a solid PC instead?

Still don't think a PC is adequate for the living room. Got a powerful PC gaming rig in the office. The more I use the Xbox One), the more I like it.

Time to find out if streaming works for the Saints game.

Got to agree with this statement. I got my PS3 in 2011 and it's the best bit of kit I've ever had. This Christmas I got 10 new games, including Skyrym and GTA V. After downloading the Mass Effect trilogy and Dead Space 3 over PSN network for £25, there is no way I'm going to need to upgrade to a PS4 this year, possibly even next if I really get on with both Skyrym and GTA V.

Got to agree with this statement. I got my PS3 in 2011 and it's the best bit of kit I've ever had. This Christmas I got 10 new games, including Skyrym and GTA V. After downloading the Mass Effect trilogy and Dead Space 3 over PSN network for £25, there is no way I'm going to need to upgrade to a PS4 this year, possibly even next if I really get on with both Skyrym and GTA V.

Each console generation has seen a relatively massive jump in ability of the machinery.

I remember the 8 bit era going to 16 bit. Far more colours, smoother more detailed graphics and better control.

From 16 to 32 bits we saw the introduction of CD's, vastly more memory, CD quality audio and 3D graphics rendering made feasible.

Then onto the leap from the PS1/N64/Saturn to Xbox and PS2. DVD capability, the beginnings of internet gaming.

Onto last generation. The introduction of genuine mass online gaming, HD graphics and media playback and the ability to very almost render real looking environments. Full media integration with iPlayer, Sky Go etc.

For this? Slightly better graphics born from the better processor, a little more memory, a slight focus on further mass media integration with the Xbox One and, errrr, nothing much really.

There has been no quantum leap as seen previously. This generation of consoles will only become in any way 'necessary' when the support for their predecessors is dropped.

Edited by Colinjb

Ahhh, nostalgia time again. I remember all of those jumps as well. Amstrad CPC464 to an Amiga 500 to the PS1 then PS2 and now PS3. All of those jumps fuelled by seeing the next piece of kit in action at a friends house and having to have one myself. Nothing so far about the PS4 or Xbox1 has made me want to have one, but then I've not seen one running at a friends house yet. Think I'm going to have to become an unsocialable b*gger over the next year, just in case.

• 4 months later...

So we're nearly half way through the year now. Have my opinions changed? Nope. Fifa is the worst Fifa I have ever played. I like to play in career mode and I swear its corrupt. If I'm winning all of a sudden my players seem to go into Matrix-slow-motion and the other team speeds up. When a striker attacks all my defenders run in the wrong direction as if they're mentally disabled. Assassins Creed is boring as hell. The last one on the Xbox was so much better. Call of Duty was good but saw no difference at all to playing it on my xbox360. How can Sony and Microsoft have released such crap? When I first got my Xbox360 I spent about 3 months in my bedroom playing the new Pro Evo, Crackdown and Gear of War. I doubt I've played on my xbox for more than a week since I bought it. Does anyone else share my complete shock at how disappointing they have been?

So we're nearly half way through the year now. Have my opinions changed? Nope. Fifa is the worst Fifa I have ever played. I like to play in career mode and I swear its corrupt. If I'm winning all of a sudden my players seem to go into Matrix-slow-motion and the other team speeds up. When a striker attacks all my defenders run in the wrong direction as if they're mentally disabled. Assassins Creed is boring as hell. The last one on the Xbox was so much better. Call of Duty was good but saw no difference at all to playing it on my xbox360. How can Sony and Microsoft have released such crap? When I first got my Xbox360 I spent about 3 months in my bedroom playing the new Pro Evo, Crackdown and Gear of War. I doubt I've played on my xbox for more than a week since I bought it. Does anyone else share my complete shock at how disappointing they have been?

Got a PS4 myself, which I'm happy enough with, but is a pocket calculator stacked up against my PC.

Chucks out much nicer image quality than XBox One ( e.g. full HD ) so not all of those concerns are as applicable.

Also, if you were playing Gears of War when you bought your 360, you must have bought it at least a year after launch. Software is always patchy on new hardware for the first 12 months.

Both of the above games are just rehash ****e, I don't know why you are surprised. CoD is utter, utter garbage. The changes they made to FIFA last year were a total abortion.

I picked up an Xbox One about 3 weeks ago. With my virgin 50mb internet connection, I had updated the machine and downloaded Titanfall in about 3 hours. Loving it so far. Even with the "shocking" "garbage" 900p resolution (the same resolution a swaith of ps4 games have had to resort to using).

We are early adopters of a new console generation, in other words, total mugs. All the same, I love the TV integration, and the voice control is spot on.

Watch Dogs and Battlefield 4? That's a swath, is it? In both cases, XBox One runs even lower (792p and 720p respectively).

Titanfall is 792p, btw.

PS4 vs XBox One resolutions and framerates

Meh. Nevermind. I've said it before and I'll say it again, its only uber-bores like Pap that will know any different. The fact that pages like the one quoted above even exist is testament to how utterly bang-average the actual games have been so far.

Meh. Nevermind. I've said it before and I'll say it again, its only uber-bores like Pap that will know any different. The fact that pages like the one quoted above even exist is testament to how utterly bang-average the actual games have been so far.

Print this post out and stick it on the front of your XBox One. It'll cheer you up when playing your bang average games ;)

Print this post out and stick it on the front of your XBox One. It'll cheer you up when playing your bang average games ;)

You know I meant on both systems, Pap my old boy'.

Regardless of pixel count, I am looking forward to another 5 or 6 years of gaming.

You know I meant on both systems, Pap my old boy'.

Regardless of pixel count, I am looking forward to another 5 or 6 years of gaming.

Yeah, I know. Was being naughty.

If I'm honest, inFamous is the only game on the PS4 I've put serious solo hours, but I've really enjoyed playing the likes of FIFA with my brothers ( both have bought their own PS4s in recent weeks ). As a PC owner, I'm really selective about what I buy on which platform anyway. I'm playing the new Wolfenstein on PC; 15 quid cheaper, single-player only and better on PC - no brainer.

It'll be a while before there are super games out for either.

Speaking of which, Mario Kart 8 lands tomorrow. Doubt much apart from that will be played for some time.