Christmas day dinner at restaurant or pub

Golactico

Cook it yourself....save some poor minimum waged skivvy from having to come in on Christmas Day to cater for people who can't be arsed themselves.

(sorry, just venting from a man who's had to work xmas eve, boxing day as well as N.Years eve and day because, ohhh people must simply queue at 3 am New Years day for a bargain.....bleedin retail).

I’ve never had Christmas dinner at a pub or restaurant, but I would absolutely love to! Don’t get me wrong, Mrs Stickman makes a lovely Christmas dinner for which we are all truly grateful. Unfortunately, she seems incapable of making it without using every damn piece of cookware, crockery and cutlery we own. Takes me till Boxing Day to do the bloody washing up :(

Depends on your budget!

If you are happy with boil in the bag meat, frozen, recooked roast potatoes, frozen mixed veg, frozen puddings etc and want to pay around £25-£40 per head, then go to one of the chain pubs like Harvester, Hungry Horse, fayre and square etc.

If you want home cooking then go to a local independent restaurant / bistro - probably best to try it late November / early December before making a booking though!! - probably looking around £50+ per head.

Avoid all hotels!

We've done it the past 4 years and would never go back to cooking at home. Mrs Duck is a good cook, but its so much better for her now. From about Aug onwards if we have a decent pub meal, we ask them about Xmas. Avoid chains and hotels, or managed pubs as by and large they tend to be ping and ding. I always insist on a pub where you can stand at bar before and after and one that has one sitting only. You'll pay around twice normal rate for 3 course meal, but its worth it for a lovely Xmas day for my Mrs. Need to book early as you can.

I’ve never had Christmas dinner at a pub or restaurant, but I would absolutely love to! Don’t get me wrong, Mrs Stickman makes a lovely Christmas dinner for which we are all truly grateful. Unfortunately, she seems incapable of making it without using every damn piece of cookware, crockery and cutlery we own. Takes me till Boxing Day to do the bloody washing up :(

Think yourself lucky. Mrs Minsk works every December 25th (it is a public holiday here but in no way celebrated as in the UK - except as best I can in my home) so I do all the cooking and dish washing. My Christmas dinners are excellent though. Unfortunately no restaurants here do a traditional British Christmas dinner.

I wonder if you could pay someone to come in and cook it for you?

I'd do it £600 for 8 people

Mince pies ( luxury home made)

Coffee

Home made carrot parsnip winter soup/prawn cocktail

Home made bread rolls

Turkey and all trimmings including home made pork and apple stuffing stuffing , red cabbage, roasted Mediterranean veg, parsnips tatties

Home made Xmas pud

Trifle

Washed up + leftovers plated in the fridge. Booze not included.

I did all this, gluten free, diabetic friendly, low vitamin K (warfarin friendly)

Oh and Boxing Day I picked up relatives at Heathrow 06:55 and then cooked them lunch leak and potato soup. gammon + roasted veg , more trifle, and sent them back home to Manchester

I work hard enough, it's about time I did it for income!