Singapore - Getting Around

Noodles34

Off to Singapore shortly, been doing a bit of research but hopefully some more local people ITK will help?

So we (family of four) are arriving at Changi Airport, staying for three days and plan tovisit the zoo, the night safari (different times) and Sentosa. I am thinking that a Singapore (three day)Tourist Pass would be the best option? $20 p/pfor 3 days, would surely spend more than that on individual fares, though we are only going on a few trips (as below). You have to get your deposit back though,weird?

I am one who always tries to make the most out of cheap local transport options, so not keen on taxis etc. Assuming that is best, I am planning to get the green line 3 to EW13 City Hall and change to the Red 5 for NS22 Orchard (we are staying at The Goodwood Park Hotel on Scotts Road – easy walking distance from the MRT?).

That evening we are planning to go to The Night Safari at the zoo, and though my missus has found some shuttle bus to take us there and back from The Orchard Road area,not quite sure where, I have researched that taking the (already paid for) MRTto Ang Mo Kio and getting on the 138 bus (again, part of the pass), which apparentlytakes us right to the door? But what time does it run the returns to?

Or, get the MRTto NS13 Yisham and get a very short taxi ride?

Would appreciate some local knowledge on that, clearly whatever works for the night zoo will work for the day zoo too.

Also, seen the prices for night zoo etc, is there any better deals than this?

[TABLE=class: MsoNormalTable, width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent] 2-in-1 Park Hopper

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent] Singapore Zoo Night Safari

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent]

$64.00

(Save $8.00)

clip_image002.gif

[/TD]

$41.00

(Save $5.00)

clip_image002.gif

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Sentosa looks pretty straight forward, though any tips would be appreciated?

Finally, keen to find a night market with some good Asian street food, ideally as near to the Orchard Road area,but if its worth travelling please advise.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry for the poor grammar, copied from word because I cannot return on a line for some reason, but clearly not copied over that well, will rectify some but will no doubt miss some!

Edited by Noodles34
bad Word

Also, is it true that you cannot take cigarettes into SiNgapore, like if you buy some duty free at Gatwick, you can't take them into the country?

and is it better to change money there. Rather than order some here, usually better rates in Asia directly.

thanks

Changi is a super airport .

As for night markets there's c. Sungei Road Flea Market , bugis street bazaar close to the MRT . Changi village also has night markets and 70,s style flea market . If you had time take a boat trip . Should get one from changi itself

. More in the town no doubt you will go for a beer try colliery quay

Little India and China town are good area particularly for night and day markets

As your in changi worth visiting the chapel and prison if you get a chance go to Fort canning

Other shopping go to orchard road some amazing store . Tangs, cold store . And others that have 100 of shops on all floors .

I miss the place as I spent six years there as a service brat . I go back periodically . Also eating just go to any of the food villages for authentic Singaporean food

Off to Singapore shortly, been doing a bit of research but hopefully some more local people ITK will help?

So we (family of four) are arriving at Changi Airport, staying for three days and plan tovisit the zoo, the night safari (different times) and Sentosa. I am thinking that a Singapore (three day)Tourist Pass would be the best option? $20 p/pfor 3 days, would surely spend more than that on individual fares, though we are only going on a few trips (as below). You have to get your deposit back though,weird?

I am one who always tries to make the most out of cheap local transport options, so not keen on taxis etc. Assuming that is best, I am planning to get the green line 3 to EW13 City Hall and change to the Red 5 for NS22 Orchard (we are staying at The Goodwood Park Hotel on Scotts Road – easy walking distance from the MRT?).

That evening we are planning to go to The Night Safari at the zoo, and though my missus has found some shuttle bus to take us there and back from The Orchard Road area,not quite sure where, I have researched that taking the (already paid for) MRTto Ang Mo Kio and getting on the 138 bus (again, part of the pass), which apparentlytakes us right to the door? But what time does it run the returns to?

Would appreciate some local knowledge on that, clearly whatever works for the night zoo will work for the day zoo too.

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent] 2-in-1 Park Hopper

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent] Singapore Zoo Night Safari

[/TD]

$64.00

(Save $8.00)

clip_image002.gif

[/TD]

$41.00

(Save $5.00)

clip_image002.gif

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Finally, keen to find a night market with some good Asian street food, ideally as near to the Orchard Road area,but if its worth travelling please advise.

Sorry for the poor grammar, copied from word because I cannot return on a line for some reason, but clearly not copied over that well, will rectify some but will no doubt miss some!

Newton Circus is probably one of the best food Centres (Open air). Chilli Crab on the Coast Road is also good.

Newton Circus is probably one of the best food Centres (Open air). Chilli Crab on the Coast Road is also good.

Also, is it true that you cannot take cigarettes into SiNgapore, like if you buy some duty free at Gatwick, you can't take them into the country?

and is it better to change money there. Rather than order some here, usually better rates in Asia directly.

thanks

That's correct about Cigarettes. We usually take US Dollar Traveller Cheques every time we go.

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent] 2-in-1 Park Hopper[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent] Singapore Zoo Night Safari[/TD]

$64.00

(Save $8.00)

clip_image002.gif

[/TD]

$41.00

(Save $5.00)

clip_image002.gif

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Feel like I've been there myself after skim reading that essay.

Newton Circus is good but the locals consider it overpriced and full of tourists. Chilli Crab on the coast road is a definite must. There is also a very good open air food court there.

I personally think that Chinatown offers a lot - good food and interesting shopping. Made to measure suits used to be good value there but the pound has weakened in recent years against the Sing dollar.

Foot massages are good value and a great way to relax. They are not at all seedy (well, most of them are not) and can be quite addictive.

The MRT is a great way to travel and imho much better than the busses.

Sentosa is ok but you are a little remote there from the main town - mind you so much is opening on Sentosa nowadays that you may just want to stay there.

Little India is a good place. There is a huge department store there called Mustapha which never closes and is where you can buy virtually anything.

Other places to visit / things to do would be the Botanical Gardens and a Duck Tour.

You cannot really go wrong in Singapore. I am sure that you will come back with your own personal favourites - it would be interesting to find out what you think of the place once you have been there. Don't forget to try fishhead curry!!

Muthu's curry house on old race course road - great fish head curry and epic squid sambal.

Just make sure you are near a bog the following day - it's not a reflection on the quality of food, it will be the spice that gets you. Despite that, I go back every time I visit

been to singapore. amazing place

the night safari is amazing and very much enjoyed sentosa islands

ensure you goto Raffles and get a singapore sling

a visit to china town is a must. boat quay is good.

and definitely shop around the vast electrical shops. Sim Lim tower is something else

Amazing place, so clean and crime free. Not sure if its still right but when we were there a few years ago we tried to get a taxi on the main Orchard Rd and the taxis would not pull over to let us in. Found out that you had to go to designated taxi ranks so that the traffic doesn't get held up

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent]2-in-1 Park Hopper

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent]Singapore Zoo Night Safari

[/TD]

$64.00

(Save $8.00)

clip_image002.gif

[/TD]

$41.00

(Save $5.00)

clip_image002.gif

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Having lived in Singapore for near on 13 years now so can give some insight on getting around. Looking at the suggestions you've made for getting from A to B, not even the locals would take those options let alone the long time expats like me.

Changi Airport to Goodwood Park Hotel. After a minimum 13hr flight I would suggest the last thing you would want to do is take the MRT to City Hall, lug your luggage to get a catch another train to get to Orchard Road MRT. That's the easy bit. You've then got about a 1km walk up Scotts road to get to Goodwood Park Hotel. Not that far but remember it's very hot and humid here all year round and currently we are in the rainy season. Taking a taxi from the Airport to the Hotel is so easy and stress free and should cost you between $20-$30 depending on what day/time you are arriving and will take you 30min at the most. The Public transport route will take you well over an hour.

Goodwood Hotel to Night Safari - Again I wouldn't recommend the public transport route but rather the SAEx transport package (See link below) They have a pickup point on Scotts Road no more than 200m from your hotel on the opposite side of the road outside of Royal Plaza On Scotts Hotel.

http://www.saex.com.sg/ViewPackages.aspx?PackageID=2

Getting to Sentosa - Yes take public transport, MRT from Orchard Road to Harbour Front via Dhoby Ghout and then you can either walk across from Vivo City on the travelator or the Tram also from Vivo City.

If you are coming soon, China Town is would a visit as Chinese New Year is at the end of the month. Boat Quay is worth a stroll down but then i'm bias as I own a Bar on Boat Quay! Garden by the Bay is suppose to be good. I would avoid eating at Newton Circus as it's a rip off and I've heard so many horror stories. Bugis is a great place to visit for markets and local street food. The Long Bar at Raffles Hotel is worth a visit (City Hall MRT) and then you can get a Rickshaw ride to Boat Quay or Clark Quay.

Having lived in Singapore for near on 13 years now so can give some insight on getting around. Looking at the suggestions you've made for getting from A to B, not even the locals would take those options let alone the long time expats like me.

Changi Airport to Goodwood Park Hotel. After a minimum 13hr flight I would suggest the last thing you would want to do is take the MRT to City Hall, lug your luggage to get a catch another train to get to Orchard Road MRT. That's the easy bit. You've then got about a 1km walk up Scotts road to get to Goodwood Park Hotel. Not that far but remember it's very hot and humid here all year round and currently we are in the rainy season. Taking a taxi from the Airport to the Hotel is so easy and stress free and should cost you between $20-$30 depending on what day/time you are arriving and will take you 30min at the most. The Public transport route will take you well over an hour.

Goodwood Hotel to Night Safari - Again I wouldn't recommend the public transport route but rather the SAEx transport package (See link below) They have a pickup point on Scotts Road no more than 200m from your hotel on the opposite side of the road outside of Royal Plaza On Scotts Hotel.

http://www.saex.com.sg/ViewPackages.aspx?PackageID=2

Getting to Sentosa - Yes take public transport, MRT from Orchard Road to Harbour Front via Dhoby Ghout and then you can either walk across from Vivo City on the travelator or the Tram also from Vivo City.

If you are coming soon, China Town is would a visit as Chinese New Year is at the end of the month. Boat Quay is worth a stroll down but then i'm bias as I own a Bar on Boat Quay! Garden by the Bay is suppose to be good. I would avoid eating at Newton Circus as it's a rip off and I've heard so many horror stories. Bugis is a great place to visit for markets and local street food. The Long Bar at Raffles Hotel is worth a visit (City Hall MRT) and then you can get a Rickshaw ride to Boat Quay or Clark Quay.

thanks a lot st Davey I was hoping you were still around, appreciate the info. I will take your advice. What about changing money, better over there ?

thanks a lot st Davey I was hoping you were still around, appreciate the info. I will take your advice. What about changing money, better over there ?

Someone said a few posts ago that you should take US dollar traveller cheques but for me this is plain daft !

Firstly you have to go to a bank which is open and queue up etc.. You suffer twice from exchange rate shortfalls and commissions (3 times if you have money left over!) so it is far better to go directly for Singapore dollars !

There are ATM's all over the place and this is the most convenient way to do it, best to take out sizeable amounts each time rather than small as you tend to have a standard transaction cost but (having been there many times!) it is the best solution IMHO !

I've always used local money changers here when travelling abroad including UK. There are a few at each terminal at Changi either airside or in the arrival halls. These are linked to banks. I always use independant licenced money changers which you'll at all shopping centres. As mentioned, using ATMs is also a perfectly good way of getting Singapore Dollars. Just make sure you have some cash for the taxi fare from the airport

Would agree with everything St Davey said. Especially the bit about getting a taxi in from the Airport. What isn't necessarily obvious is that the airport train terminates usually at Tanah Merah meaning you have to change there then again at City Hall and then it is quite a hike up to Goodwood Park Hotel especially with kids and bags in tow.

Also agree with the comments re-Newton Circus although it is easy walking distance from the Goodwood Park.

I would probably look at going to China Town and Little India for street food. Smith Street in China Town (I know it doesn't sound very Chinese ) has some great Chinese food stalls in the evening and this time of year will be pretty happening as we build up to Chinese New Year.

Haven't seen anyone mention Arab Street and surrounding area which is also pretty good for a wander around and close to Little India.

I lived on in sentosa cove for 4yrs until 2 yrs ago and defo recommend going to do the following with the kids for a day out.

Indoor skydiving:

http://www.sentosa.com.sg/en/attractions/beaches/ifly-singapore/

Megazip:

http://www.sentosa.com.sg/en/attractions/imbiah-lookout/megazip-adventure-park/

Also plenty of beach bars to drink and have lunch in afterwards, also I wouldn't walk anywhere as it's always humid as **** and taxi's are cheap as chips.

Hi Saint Davey, whats the name of your bar, Im hoping to get to singas in July for a school reunion.

Went to Changi, Seletar and St Johns

The night markets (Armah Markets) are not what they used to be

I miss singapore .

Noodles if you get a chance get a bumboat to PULAU UBIN from Changi . only a couple of dollars, , not a lot to see apart from Kampongs and old cars (Dumped)

you can hire bikes on Pulau