Favourite Jos Hooiveld Moment

Saint Charlie

I was never convinced he was that good during our Championship promotion season and if it weren't for his goals I'm sure we wouldn't have had such a good opinion of him coming into the PL. In fact I must say I was quite surprised on how quickly we decided to sign him permanently after such a short loan period. I sometimes watch highlights of some of the big games of back then and funnily enough games were other players got singled out as at fault for goals (Portsmouth, Middlesbrough, Reading, the record-ending game vs. Bristol City) I could notice someone was never where a normal CB should be...as for the goals he scored, well you're always at an advantage when you're bigger than others. It's when you need to trick the markers than it becomes difficult, as we have seen with his goals FOR record since promotion.

Last season I think the emergence of Boruc helped all of the defense so even when Fonte was out through injury any game was looking better than those before Boruc for Hooiveld. However, that was just because those mistakes weren't being punished. The dropping too deep, the reckless attempts to attack the ball way into midfield breaking the defensive back-line and leaving gaps, the lack of ability to turn and defend facing away from goal, the poorly time lunges and the odd lazy leg were still there.

I'm not sure it was the right decision to sign him altogether given his lack of success at Celtic, he was certainly a good signing given our shortage at the time but maybe signing him on loan until the end of the season would've been a better option. His and Sharp's signings were surprising given how short-term minded they were...

Decent enough idea for a thread but the content of first post was ridiculous.

I'm torn between his goal against WHU or his goal agianst Coventry on the last day simply because fo the whole atmosphere. I think I'm gonna have to go with the WHU goal. Had he not scored that, who knows what would have happened.

Mines not on the pitch.

Sat in the stand 1st pre season game in Palafrugell, Jos, Maya, and Mayuka sat behind us, Jos is in a chatty mood. Then my mate asks "where are you guys staying" to which Jos answers "f**k knows, ish in der middle of bloody nowhere!" "All I know is I get on the bus, when it schtops I get off!". "Does that include traffic lights?" says I which has the other 2 laughing and me getting a Paddington stare off Jos.

Not a moment on the pitch,but I saw a interview when someone said he was the player that made the new guys feel at home,always has advice and time for new guys,seems like a real nice guy off the pitch,and even though he is having a mare this season I would bet my left foot he is one of the most popular players in the changing room,we need players like Jos to continue the good harmony at the club,maybe just not on the pitch

The goal at home to West Ham, that was the day we showed we were promotion contenders. Also yesterday, when he slipped playing a cross field ball to Clyne, that ended up being a great pass! He's still a top guy though despite some of his shortcomings. Like I said on the match thread, he is no worse than Yoshida, who seems to be one of these players lots of fans rate for some unbeknown reason (similarly to Lee, coincidentally)

I like the part (and it was a big part) he played in our rise - he was excellent at Championship level.

But most of all I like his attitude - I can't ever remember him not taking time at the end of a game to clap the supporters...home and away.

A little ironic given the the short memories and ingratitude shown by a minority on here.

I like the part (and it was a big part) he played in our rise - he was excellent at Championship level.

But most of all I like his attitude - I can't ever remember him not taking time at the end of a game to clap the supporters...home and away.

A little ironic given the the short memories and ingratitude shown by a minority on here.

Yep i agree but we have some real arseholes for fans on here mate

Quite nice in a way ha a guy who is struggling is still clearly quite popular with the fans. Might just be me, but I thought Jos was pretty solid last year bar the first ten games. He was also quality in the Championship with us.

Goal against Coventry for me - That was when I knew we had done it.

I was going to make the same point. His "appreciation claps" comes across much more genuine than the old happy clappy Rudi and Prutton clapping.

Despite not being an automatic choice he has never done a moody, and always seems to celebrate any goals/wins from the bench with as much gusto as any of us fans.

Just a great shame that he really isn't quite up to the mark now, but we should keep him at the ready for our next matches with WHU, Stoke and Crystal Pulis.

The guy can't help being picked. I think he really likes the club and is a big character in the changing room. Problem is he's not really up to the standard required and this enhanced by the lack of games he gets. Fav moment... the slip that turned into blinding pass in yesterdays game.

• 3 years later...
New transfer for Jos Hooiveld: from AIK Solna (Sweden) to FC Twente (Netherlands).

http://www.vi.nl/nieuws/fc-twente-voegt-met-hooiveld-ervaring-toe-aan-selectie.htm

Good that he is still playing at a decent enough level. Best of luck to him. Seemed to really take this club to heart in the short time he was here.

I always look back on our time out of the top flight and think it really helped re-connect the players to the fans. All of a sudden we weren't a stepping stone to bigger and better things or a final payday for players at the end of their career. We were a destination club. A club that players at that level dreamed of playing for. A lot of those players still have an affection for the club and look back at their time with us as the best days of their career. Richard Chaplow springs to mind as an obvious example but I know their are others too.

Favourite moment, the sheer joy on his face when he was held aloft on the pitch after winning promotion, i still have the screenshot on my PC.

The picture and his joy captured a memorable day, never to be forgotten, he was a giant for us that season and seemed destined to kick on in the PL, he didn't get off to a great start and he never recovered.

A hero and a warrior in my book.

Favourite moment, the sheer joy on his face when he was held aloft on the pitch after winning promotion, i still have the screenshot on my PC.

The picture and his joy captured a memorable day, never to be forgotten, he was a giant for us that season and seemed destined to kick on in the PL, he didn't get off to a great start and he never recovered.

A hero and a warrior in my book.[/quote

This. That man was a major factor in our championship season success. Top bloke too, hope his move back to Holland works out for him.

• 6 months later...

Just bumping an old thread, but Jos Hooiveld has done a interview for a Dutch football website. The interview is in Dutch but Jos does mention Saints a few times.

The answer regarding Saints,

Interviewer: Who was your best trainer?

JH: Pochetinno

Interviewer: What was your worst game?

JH: Against WBA

Interviewer: Who was the best player you played with?

JH: Adam Lallana

Interviewer: What do you regret the most?

JH: Not staying at Southampton and playing under Ronald Koeman

Interviewer: What is the best club you played for?

JH: Celtic

For the whole interview (all in Dutch): http://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=311071

Patred44s scouting report of him where he had seen him play a few weeks before signing in a Scottish cup tie v Inverness whilst visiting family.

Hooiveld had been awful, given away a penalty and got sent off. When patred44 was told that there hadn't been a Scottish cup tie between the two sides he changed his story to a preseason friendly. When it was pointed out that there was no record of a preseason friendly he then claimed it was a behind closed doors friendly.

It was a complete fabrication and yet another lie in his smeer campaign against les Reed which has gone on for several years.

• 1 month later...

Dutch football website Voetbalzone.nl are currently running a 7 part interview with Jos hooiveld about his career. Last week in part 5 Saints get mentioned for the first time, and this week he goes on about his time here.

Hooiveld first states that when we got relegated to League 1 and he was playing in Sweden, we contacted him for the first time. As we had just been relegated and had to start with -10 points, he kindly declined the offer. When playing at Celtic, Hooiveld was told to play with the youth and asked for a transfer. Palace and Saints were both interested and he decided to join us in the Championship.

When we loaned Hooiveld from Celtic we didnt negotiate an option to buy in the loan contract, a mistake that cost us around a million pounds. When Jos left Celtic, they wanted rid of him and would have let us have him for free. However once Hooiveld started playing well other clubs (Blackburn and Bolton are both mentioned in the interview) got interested, and we had pay the transfer free.

Hooiveld states that at Saints he was earning double what he earnt at Celtic, and once we were promoted to the PL his salary went up massively.

Jos goes on saying he scored 8 goals in his first season, 2 against West Ham and when he scored against Coventry, the commentator said: This goal seals promotion to the PL for Southampton. Hooiveld says he enjoyed playing in the Championship cos you could go head first into battles and says the Championship was his level. In the PL he struggled beating other players and found the games hard to play in.

Hooiveld goes on saying he played quite a few games in his first season in the Premier League, but once Lovren came over from OL, he lost out and honestly says Lovren was the better player and formed a good partnership with Fonte. He does say he outplayed Fonte in the season before Lovren was signed.

Once Lovren and Poch left and Koeman turned up, Jos was told by Koeman he wanted to keep him, but that another defender was going to be signed (Alderweireld). Koeman was well liked by the players as you could ask and say anything to him. The pre season under Koeman was a lot less tense then under Poch. The players kept wondering, when are we going to have to put the hard work in?

When Alderweireld was signed, Hooiveld decided to ask for a loan and left for Norwich. A decision he still regrets today as Alderweireld was often injured meaning he would have played a fair few games.

The interview goes on after that about his career after he left Saints. This was all that was said about his time here.