Dodd and Benali goal celebration

Wurzel

Think it was Dodd and Benali and possibly Rudock after a goal against Liverpool in a win where Saints scored four. Can't remember the Liverpool score but I am sure Saints won. Also memorable for Dodd totally outplaying John Barnes.

Wasan't the Liverpool game the OP means. The Ruddock/Benali celebration was a high 5 whilst jumping up together. Was done quite a bit 1990/91 season.

The celebration OP means is the Kenna/Benali celebration with some gun toting fingers and finger waving whilst moving backwards. Wss done in the Pony/Dimplex kit era 1993-1995.

Wasan't the Liverpool game the OP means. The Ruddock/Benali celebration was a high 5 whilst jumping up together. Was done quite a bit 1990/91 season.

The celebration OP means is the Kenna/Benali celebration with some gun toting fingers and finger waving whilst moving backwards. Wss done in the Pony/Dimplex kit era 1993-1995.

Perfect description, that's the one. Not Dodd at all then. And seeing that annoyingly edited Swindon game video above pretty sure that was the right game.

brings back a few memories;

the much under-rated Neil Maddison (Alan Shearers old mate from Tyneside) and RB Jeff Kenna ...sometime shortly before his move to Blackburn, I think? That move made way for Dodd.

Not entirely true though as Dodd had made his debut in 1989, although did not secure the rb position immediately ( shared it with Alexei Cherednik in 1990 for a while). By 93/4 it seemed to fluctuate between Dodd & Kenna, although Kenna was beginning to make it his. Personally I thought Dodd the better defender, and Kenna over rated.

I was surprised when Blackburn offered £1.5m for him.

Yes I'd agree, Kenna seemed to have one really great season, but Dodd was more consistant.

Interestingly, we seem to get through a lot of full backs around that time. After Ray Wallace departed, (1989) we had the early partnership of Dodd / Benali, before Cherednik came on the scene.

Micky Adams held down the LB spot for a while and so too Stuart Gray (before his career-ending injury).

Both Dodd and Benali later managed to stay in the line-ups (wearing a no.4 shirt for a while), before Simon Charlton came in as a FB (remember him?)

Doddsy seem to share the FB positions with Kenna, but few people recall that both Ken Monkou and (later) Claus Lunderkvam, both started as full backs...yet it would be yet another season before the Dodd / Benali partnership was properly re-established under Dave Jones.

The Hiley / Colleter pairing wasn't very successful though, but just about this time (1999) Wayne Bridge debuted ....and the rest ...as they say ....is history.

Edited by david in sweden

Wasan't the Liverpool game the OP means. The Ruddock/Benali celebration was a high 5 whilst jumping up together. Was done quite a bit 1990/91

This was IIRC the 89-90 season and the time of our super subs, Razor and Shearer or as we knew them "The Bruise Brothers". Many a time we would find ourselves in need of a goal and Chris Nicholl would haul off Paul Rideout and throw these two upfront as twin centre forwards with Matty and Rod Wallace as the wide men and play 4-2-4 often with much success and this would then lead to Razor and Franny both leaping in the air as they ran at each other after the initial goal celebration and deliberately missing with their hi-fives

A young, talented, hungry, exciting team the likes of which we've not seen for nearly twenty five years, until nowadays anyway.

Yes I'd agree, Kenna seemed to have one really great season, but Dodd was more consistant.

Interestingly, we seem to get through a lot of full backs around that time. After Ray Wallace departed, (1989) we had the early partnership of Dodd / Benali, before Cherednik came on the scene.

Micky Adams held down the LB spot for a while and so too Stuart Gray (before his career-ending injury).

Both Dodd and Benali later managed to stay in the line-ups (wearing a no.4 shirt for a while), before Simon Charlton came in as a FB (remember him?)

Doddsy seem to share the FB positions with Kenna, but few people recall that both Ken Monkou and (later) Claus Lunderkvam, both started as full backs...yet it would be yet another season before the Dodd / Benali partnership was properly re-established under Dave Jones.

The Hiley / Colleter pairing wasn't very successful though, but just about this time (1999) Wayne Bridge debuted ....and the rest ...as they say ....is history.

Monkou and Lundekvam started their careers at Saints as full backs?

Monkou and Lundekvam started their careers at Saints as full backs?

When .Ken Monkou signed for Saints, he did start in a no.6 shirt, so I'll stand corrected on that one ...but in season 1994.95 he did play 31 games in a no. 3 shirt.

Of course we can argue he didn't really have that role, and really played elsewhere, but it's in the book. as that.

and....Lundekvam played his first game in Sept.1996 in a no.3 shirt (at least according to In That Number) and played out the rest of that season . The following season he began wearing no.6.

I can't argue tactics, or where they actually played, or in which formation, maybe they were played out of position ?....BUT to me no.2 is a right back and no.3 is a left back.

Edited by david in sweden

When .Ken Monkou signed for Saints, he did start in a no.6 shirt, so I'll stand corrected on that one ...but in season 1994.95 he did play 31 games in a no. 3 shirt.

Of course we can argue he didn't really have that role, and really played elsewhere, but it's in the book. as that.

and....Lundekvam played his first game in Sept.1996 in a no.3 shirt (at least according to In That Number) and played out the rest of that season . The following season he began wearing no.6.

I can't argue tactics, or where they actually played, or in which formation, maybe they were played out of position ?....BUT to me no.2 is a right back and no.3 is a left back.

Lundekvam's first squad number was 22, 2nd season 6, and then Switched to 5 I believe. He certainly had 22 as I had the first shop printed shirt with his name and number when he signed - I had to spell his name for the girl doing it as they had only done his match shirts at that point.

Lundekvam's first squad number was 22, 2nd season 6, and then Switched to 5 I believe. He certainly had 22 as I had the first shop printed shirt with his name and number when he signed - I had to spell his name for the girl doing it as they had only done his match shirts at that point.

that means the " Saints' Bible " .....In that Number got it wrong then........pity but still a great publication..