Walking out of a job

Spudders

Have any of you walked out of a decent job before? Obviously I don’t mean quitting a paper round, or working at the McDonalds drive through. But have you been in full time employment doing a decent job and just decided to walk out rather than work your notice period?

If so, did you regret it after? Did you have problems getting another job? Any implications that you hadn’t thought of?

Have any of you walked out of a decent job before? Obviously I don’t mean quitting a paper round, or working at the McDonalds drive through. But have you been in full time employment doing a decent job and just decided to walk out rather than work your notice period?

If so, did you regret it after? Did you have problems getting another job? Any implications that you hadn’t thought of?

Yup. Back when i was doing permanent work, I was a bit disgruntled with my station in life and got poached by another agency. Bit of a pay jump, but the job was a nightmare. Things were undersold, the attitude of the management was that our time was free, or at the very least, highly malleable. Wasn't for me, and on closer inspection of my contract, realised that after serving four months, I'd need to give two months notice.

Didn't have anywhere to go to, but knew it wasn't for me. I resigned without having another job.

Due to some very restrictive post-termination covenants, turns out I couldn't work for a competitor in Liverpool. Still not sure whether that was legally enforceable ( EU right to trade trump it? ) but played along and set my sights wide. Ended up getting the client in Northern Ireland, who I retain to this day.

That was a good move, as it turns out, but I'd offer the following qualification:-

a) I didn't care where I worked, at least not initially.

b) My skillset is in demand

c) I went from perm to contractor, which is a bit different in itself

Don't do it if you're not confident of finding something else, in other words.

Walked out on a very good job in IT when I was 18 and went and worked in a bar *****il I got myself a new job...). Turns out working in the pub trade can be unbelievably good fun when you're that age so I stayed for a couple of years...

When it came to getting a new job all of my IT skills were effectively obsolete and I'm now working a crappy admin job.

Do I regret it? A little (when I look at what I could have been earning if I'd stayed in that chosen career), but hey, life is still good...

Really need to sort my life out when it comes to a career though...

In our very small company we have staff handing their notice in but we pay them off that day, I would rather they left straight away than them winding down and not doing the job (service industry) properly. Also, if you just walk with no other job on the horizon then I would make sure you can afford it as I don't think you can claim benefits if you make yourself unemployed although I am sure there are HR experts on here who can verify that.

Cheers for replies. I just moved to Germany for 4 months with work. It was something I pushed for, but between getting it agreed & moving over here my world's been turned upside after getting together with a lady. Now I'm stuck over here in Germany & just want to be back in the uk. Boss suggested I travel backwards & forwards each weekend, but looking at the logistics it'd be a massive pain. I have to give 3 months notice in my role, so I'm just considering if it's worth all the hassle, life's too short really isn't it!!

Cheers for replies. I just moved to Germany for 4 months with work. It was something I pushed for, but between getting it agreed & moving over here my world's been turned upside after getting together with a lady. Now I'm stuck over here in Germany & just want to be back in the uk. Boss suggested I travel backwards & forwards each weekend, but looking at the logistics it'd be a massive pain. I have to give 3 months notice in my role, so I'm just considering if it's worth all the hassle, life's too short really isn't it!!

Jesus its only four months. Make a bit of effort during that rime to accommodate the job and the woman and you'll find out if both are worth it. Do you think she'll be massively attracted to an out of work, skint bloke hanging around all day - or some jet setting dynamo flying in at weekends to see her and bringing her out to Germany.

A while ago I got a part-time job working with a small company. The guy who founded it was a very good salesman but as a day-to-day manager was useless. He could only be described as a sociopath who gave two guys there preferential treatment to protect himself, and the 3 of them ran the company like an old boy's club and made sure all of their many failings were everyone else's fault. If anyone had a problem with that it was them that had bad attitude. It was clear though that the company founder was the one calling all the shots and played the other two like a violin, he had this attitude that NOTHING was ever his fault and he NEVER did anything wrong, and he was a master of manipulation and playing mind games.

I was there about 3-4 months and it was clear the company was a shambles and propped up by wealthy parents to keep it ticking over, and he was merely a born BSer pretending to be a manager. There was a run of incidents where he started having pops at me in emails sent to numerous recipients, I replied with something along the lines of "In that case I'll show you the same courtesy", walked out and ignored all the phone calls in the next few days.

I suspect he'll be running that company for the rest of his life, I think deep down even he knows he'd BS his way into another job ok but wouldn't last 3 months. The guy was completely incapable of even turning up to work on time or organising himself to a basic degree. When this was subtley questioned I believe it was called "flexibility"

Jesus its only four months. Make a bit of effort during that rime to accommodate the job and the woman and you'll find out if both are worth it. Do you think she'll be massively attracted to an out of work, skint bloke hanging around all day - or some jet setting dynamo flying in at weekends to see her and bringing her out to Germany.

Excellent advice.

I won't be out of work & skint as I've got funds to keep me going & I've got good enough skills to be able to get a similar role back in the uk. Jet setting about is great up to a point (I've done it before) but sometimes personal life needs to come before work doesn't it?

Life’s too short, but 3 or 4 months is too long, eh?

Supposing you came back and things didn’t work out with the new lady? Big decision to jeopardise a career, especially if it’s one you enjoy – don’t act in haste is my advice.

Oooh, I always wanted to be an agony aunt. :)

I won't be out of work & skint as I've got funds to keep me going & I've got good enough skills to be able to get a similar role back in the uk. Jet setting about is great up to a point (I've done it before) but sometimes personal life needs to come before work doesn't it?

Creating a life in which you're happy is a long term game. You're more likely to gain by staying Germany, gaining more experience and track record and spending those funds you have on flights, hotels and good restaurants than being seen to fail at an assignment (thats what new employers will think) and end up spending your cash on rent, baked beans and travelling to interviews.

F**k it but make a scene if you're going to walk. I did in one instance, albeit the job was on a contractor basis.

More seriously, the fact that you're in Germany should limit any kind of reputational damage unless its a really small world and makes it easy to explain any gaps in your CV should they arise. You wouldn't be the first or last person who hasn't adapted to a new country. Thus, it shows no real weakness or failing on your part.

Assuming your skills are in demand (slightly different matter if they're not), it'll be water under the bridge in no time.

Edited by shurlock

Yeah man up spudders! Me and my mrs were apart for years when I first moved back from Japan, it is part of life.It also makes you more keen to see them and helps keep the relationship fresh.

Yeah I get that, but how long were you with her before you came back? I know from previous relationships that it's good to have some space and ivd worked away from chicks before, but in this case we're in the early stages and we just wanna be together at the moment.

Yeah man up spudders! Me and my mrs were apart for years when I first moved back from Japan, it is part of life.It also makes you more keen to see them and helps keep the relationship fresh.

Yup, me and the gf have been doing long-distance for nearly 3 years, it's hard but you get used to it.

It also means you actually do stuff with the time you spend together.

Edited by KelvinsRightGlove

Yeah I get that, but how long were you with her before you came back? I know from previous relationships that it's good to have some space and ivd worked away from chicks before, but in this case we're in the early stages and we just wanna be together at the moment.

Nah, we hooked up after I had left. I went back for a holiday and took her out a few times while on that holiday visiting mates. We knew each other before but not very well. We had to do the email and a visit every 6 months thing for a couple of years. Similar thing happened to this bird I used to work with (in England) and this guy working in Dubai. They are married now. If it is meant to be, you'll work through it. It is only Germany as well. You'll be taking her to your favorite gabba club dancing with your shirt off before you know it!

F**k it but make a scene if you're going to walk. I did in one instance, albeit the job was on a contractor basis.

More seriously, the fact that you're in Germany should limit any kind of reputational damage unless its a really small world and makes it easy to explain any gaps in your CV should they arise. You wouldn't be the first or last person who hasn't adapted to a new country. Thus, it shows no real weakness or failing on your part.

Assuming your skills are in demand (slightly different matter if they're not), it'll be water under the bridge in no time.

I like your post :)

Just beware that if you just walk out the company do not take you to court for the extra money it costs them to employ a contractor to do you job until the notice period is up, because they may have the legal right to do that, I was threatened with that at a company once.

Just beware that if you just walk out the company do not take you to court for the extra money it costs them to employ a contractor to do you job until the notice period is up, because they may have the legal right to do that, I was threatened with that at a company once.

Interesting point, this is exactly the sort of thing I was after. There's nothing in my contract to indicate they'd do this, but thanks I'm make sure I find out

Can't you just stick it out for four months? It's not exactly a long time.

Not a long time compared with what? It seems a long time to me when staying in the companies shyte guesthouse with no broadband & no English tv. Don't know people here, everyone in the office is talking German & I just wanna be back in the uk. Seems a long time to me at the moment!

Not a long time compared with what? It seems a long time to me when staying in the companies shyte guesthouse with no broadband & no English tv. Don't know people here, everyone in the office is talking German & I just wanna be back in the uk. Seems a long time to me at the moment!

Yeah but when balanced with trying to find a new job is it worth all that hassle for four months?

I went to teachers college right out of high school (in the 1970s). Got my certificate, but couldn't find a full-time job. Got a position in the laboratory of an oil refinery - testing samples off the production line. Could have made a career there. But after a couple of years I quit in order to attend university. Never regretted it at the time, but in the current economic situation, I would have to think long and hard about doing that sort of thing again. When you're young and single, without your own family, these sorts of decisions are much easier to make. And there were a lot more opportunities back then.

Edited by Hamilton Saint

Yeah but when balanced with trying to find a new job is it worth all that hassle for four months?

True. Then again longer term I'm probably not gonna be able to stay in the role as if I wasn't in German I'd be based in London, but if it does work out with the Mrs I'll be moving to the South West & work aren't very flexible about working from home so I'd have to commute 2 hours each way Monday to Friday. Already did that from Bournemouth & wouldn't wanna do that again long term.

Sensible post

True. Then again longer term I'm probably not gonna be able to stay in the role as if I wasn't in German I'd be based in London, but if it does work out with the Mrs I'll be moving to the South West & work aren't very flexible about working from home so I'd have to commute 2 hours each way Monday to Friday. Already did that from Bournemouth & wouldn't wanna do that again long term.

Seems to me that you are the one doing all the compromising in this 'relationship'.

Four months is absolutely nothing! If you BOTH want to be together all the time how come it seems like you're the one making all the sacrifices? Why can she not come out to Germany on alternate weekends? Why do you have to make a two hour commute to London [presumably Bristol?]. Why can you not find somewhere to live that gives an hour commute each? Swindon for example?

Relationships are two way. Yours doesn't appear to be so!

Yeah but why not cross that bridge when the time comes and leave amicably rather than creating a load of unnecessary hassle for some girl you may or may not stay with.

Yes, this is true although you can argue that anything over a month notice period is unfair and then it depends what the tribunal hearing decides. Generally speaking companies don't want the hassle and if you demonstrate a willingness to work out a months notice and plan a decent handover period for whoever takes over your duties then a long notice period can be shortened by mutual consent. Of course references may not be great but in reality it's very rare for companies to pursue legal action against people who don't work out an entire notice period.

Closest I've come is when I left a job, handed in my notice and with holiday accrued reduced my notice period from a month to two weeks. My employer wanted me to work out the entire period and pay me my holiday pay which technically they could enforce - I still left though and there was no comeback. Don't regret it either - they were sh*t employers.

:)

I expect any relationship with you lasts longer if you don't see each other often

Are you employed by a British company on a British contract or by a German company on a German contract? If it is a German contract do you not have a probation period (Probezeit) of 6 months which allows you to leave with only a little bit of notice period, usually 2 weeks to 1 month? If you do walk out make sure you un-register with the Bürgeramt and Krankenkasse if you have registered with them, you can do this from the UK but it can cause issues if you don't.

Can I ask where in Germany you are? As someone who has lived in Germany for 3 years I can tell you it takes a while to get use to the locals and if you don't speak German and happen to be in the back ar se of nowhere then it will be very hard as an Ausländer to get by here.

As for changing jobs and countries for someone you have known for 4 months well that is a lot of giving up on your behalf for something that has only just started but if you think it is worth it then go for it.

If you do want to come back to the UK Spudders, I can hook you up with a pretty sweet call centre job. Some months I can even afford to pay my bills, and I get to live in a cold flat in Portswood on all the cash money i'm earning. Just let me know if you're interested (and also PM me some pics of your bird).

What if - as I think he is trying to tell us - Spudders' skills in the job market are in demand so he'll easily get another job, but his skills with the ladies is utter sh*t (he's probably really ugly and smells and stuff) and he'll probably never get another woman? What would everyone advise then?

Job before clunge or clunge before job. Personally i'd stay in germany for a few months and try to bang some local clout.

Judging by the way this post was written, what you actually mean is that you'll be sitting in your hotel room watching the specialist channels for 4 months.

Seems to me that you are the one doing all the compromising in this 'relationship'.

Four months is absolutely nothing! If you BOTH want to be together all the time how come it seems like you're the one making all the sacrifices? Why can she not come out to Germany on alternate weekends? Why do you have to make a two hour commute to London [presumably Bristol?]. Why can you not find somewhere to live that gives an hour commute each? Swindon for example?

Relationships are two way. Yours doesn't appear to be so!

She's got kids so not so easy for her. She's making valid contributions in other ways :lol:

:)

I expect any relationship with you lasts longer if you don't see each other often

+1 reputations points

Are you employed by a British company on a British contract or by a German company on a German contract? If it is a German contract do you not have a probation period (Probezeit) of 6 months which allows you to leave with only a little bit of notice period, usually 2 weeks to 1 month? If you do walk out make sure you un-register with the Bürgeramt and Krankenkasse if you have registered with them, you can do this from the UK but it can cause issues if you don't.

Can I ask where in Germany you are? As someone who has lived in Germany for 3 years I can tell you it takes a while to get use to the locals and if you don't speak German and happen to be in the back ar se of nowhere then it will be very hard as an Ausländer to get by here.

As for changing jobs and countries for someone you have known for 4 months well that is a lot of giving up on your behalf for something that has only just started but if you think it is worth it then go for it.

German company but uk contract. Already done 9 months, just moved over to Germany for a project. I'm getting involved in. I'm staying in a very quiet area on the outskirts of Munich and the people I work with don't do stuff socially.

4 months is the time I'm supposed to be here, I've know the girl for 20 years and although us getting together is new, we know each other well, it will work. You make some good points though.

What if - as I think he is trying to tell us - Spudders' skills in the job market are in demand so he'll easily get another job, but his skills with the ladies is utter sh*t (he's probably really ugly and smells and stuff) and he'll probably never get another woman? What would everyone advise then?

This is all true, espically the "and stuff" bit :)

Internet porn was invented for people like that. Careers are hard to build net porn is easy to find............