"Gaston evolution amazing the last month"

Roger

Fantastic. Only taken 18 months.

Better late than never!

I hope he goes on a prolongued, consistant, run of good form, more for his sake with the WC coming up, but also he could go on to be a massive player for us, especially if we can get him to click with Osvaldo.

Will he stay though?

T

Potchetino said this after game. Great to hear. Lots of people saying he's working harder and relations between them have improved a lot. I think gaston may go on to be great player for us.

He is a quality player but this is just another false dawn nothing more a few assists and people get carried away he needs to do it for more that two games for Christ's sake!

T

He is a quality player but this is just another false dawn nothing more a few assists and people get carried away he needs to do it for more that two games for Christ's sake!

Well the manager is obviously pleased with him.

Fantastic. Only taken 18 months.

Better late than never. I prefer that to selling him and him doing the business at another club (and all of us thinking what could have been).

Let's support the player which will no doubt increase his confidence.

When you think of it, the guy has the potential to be a class act, he is 2 years younger than Lallana. Imagine if Adam was bought 2 years ago by a prem club, i m not sure at 23 he would have produced performances like he has this season.

no doubt the assist was good but apart from that he looked poor to me. his free kick was on target and his corner kick wasn't as bad as usual, that's about the best I can say about the rest of his performance. Still got caught out in midfield far too many times.

I have to say he looked a bit keener today, maybe someone gave him a bloody good kick up the backside for trotting off the pitch before being subbed last Saturday. Mrs JBS reckons he's carrying a bit of timber.

hopefully the potential will be realised at long last.

Usually looks keen enough to me. Don't think he's a natural athlete which probably hasn't helped him under MP.

no doubt the assist was good but apart from that he looked poor to me. his free kick was on target and his corner kick wasn't as bad as usual, that's about the best I can say about the rest of his performance. Still got caught out in midfield far too many times.

This is the exact ramblings of someone who doesn't understand the game.

When Ramirez got the ball, from I think Clyne, he could just have tapped it back to Clyne, kept possession, and shifted responsibility.

Instead he tried to actually create a goalscoring chance.

It worked.

Many times it won't work otherwise we would score 10 + each time he plays.

Luckily he keeps trying these kind of things because as today showed, it can make the difference.

Hopefully in the next game when he tries something like that again the fans will cut him some slack. His role in the team is to unlock defenses and he is quite good at it (when given a chance, both my the Manager and the fans).

Must be the new hairdo

Yeah, wtf is up with that???

Has impacted the game in his last 2 sub appearances, which is all you can ask.

Still has some very irritating parts of his game, i.e randomly giving the ball away, and heading a ball across your own goal. But other than that, he's improving.

Assuming JRod and Lallana are first choice for two of the attacking midfield spots, I guess it boils down to which of Ramirez, JWP or Davis people would rather see in the other spot. Davis is the consistant one, JWP the potential, but I'm all for seeing more of Ramirez if he consistantly delivers.

It really depends if you want to unlock defences that sit with 10 behind the ball.. he's the only player we have that can provide the cutting pass... IMO he must play, certainly at home.

Pure and simply he was signed by us at the wrong time. A young, clearly talented player who would be great in a team who dominated possession and and he saw a lot of the ball. How many teams coming up from the championship do that in their first season? Add to this the fact he's still young, doesn't speak the language etc and it was always going to be difficult for him.

Last season was all about building foundations, staying up and being solid, this season is about establishing ourselves in this league as a midtable side. in truth Ramirez, a creative attacking talent to open teams up and do something a little different is the sort of player we should have been looking to sign this summer.

On another note I see Adam Johnson, a player this forum assured us was 'sh*t' was utterly superb for Sunderland today.

This is the exact ramblings of someone who doesn't understand the game.

When Ramirez got the ball, from I think Clyne, he could just have tapped it back to Clyne, kept possession, and shifted responsibility.

Instead he tried to actually create a goalscoring chance.

It worked.

Many times it won't work otherwise we would score 10 + each time he plays.

Luckily he keeps trying these kind of things because as today showed, it can make the difference.

Hopefully in the next game when he tries something like that again the fans will cut him some slack. His role in the team is to unlock defenses and he is quite good at it (when given a chance, both my the Manager and the fans).

if you say so. i'm not sure how that isolated observation covers the rest of the game in which he spent most of the time ambling about casually and getting caught on the ball I've no problem with him trying to create chances but it's anders svensson all over again for me.

in fairness cork was getting caught out the same way today after starting the game brilliantly.

It really depends if you want to unlock defences that sit with 10 behind the ball.. he's the only player we have that can provide the cutting pass... IMO he must play, certainly at home.[/qoute]

he'll create a gilt edged chance or two every game, but the rest of the time he seems so much off the pace and lacking in awareness of opposition players around him that if we play him for much of the game i fear we're going to be losing possession like nobody's business.

Excellent, that's our first 'new signing' of the window sorted then.

Hopefully Osvaldo will now come fizzing back with his World Cup head on too.....

Without wishing to use a cliche, a fit and firing Ramirez will be like having a new signing.

Imho that is unfair, but even if it was all he did it would have still made him a mom contender today!

Couple of times think he stood off (like most teams do) rather than pressing but he was tracking back - even got back to successfully defend once!

He is desperate to have the ball, helping Clyne out when he is under pressure.

Twice won free kicks with direct running.

Always looking for space. Several good touches around penalty box.

I'm not saying he was world class or even up to Lallana's recent form but he played well.

And he only played 30 mins what do you expect?

Cork gave the ball away more often running sideways in our half.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Pure and simply he was signed by us at the wrong time. A young, clearly talented player who would be great in a team who dominated possession and and he saw a lot of the ball. How many teams coming up from the championship do that in their first season? Add to this the fact he's still young, doesn't speak the language etc and it was always going to be difficult for him.

Last season was all about building foundations, staying up and being solid, this season is about establishing ourselves in this league as a midtable side. in truth Ramirez, a creative attacking talent to open teams up and do something a little different is the sort of player we should have been looking to sign this summer.

On another note I see Adam Johnson, a player this forum assured us was 'sh*t' was utterly superb for Sunderland today.

As always a kneejerk reaction to a player on here, clearly I was wrong and Welbeck wouldnt start scoring after getting an extended run as a striker...........

if you say so. i'm not sure how that isolated observation covers the rest of the game in which he spent most of the time ambling about casually and getting caught on the ball I've no problem with him trying to create chances but it's anders svensson all over again for me.

he'll create a gilt edged chance or two every game, but the rest of the time he seems so much off the pace and lacking in awareness of opposition players around him that if we play him for much of the game i fear we're going to be losing possession like nobody's business.

**** me, did you actually see anything of the second half today? Or are you just basing that (**** poor) opinion on what you read on t'internet?:mcinnes:

Its a case of people wanting him to succeed which is great but it does not reflect the reality, I will say it again if he was a free or a couple of million he would have been written off a long time ago by the club, this wont happen as its a Cortese sanctioned signing, he will as long as he is here always get game time, he is not a bad player simply crap a lot of the time for us, sometimes signings do not work.

Its a case of people wanting him to succeed which is great but it does not reflect the reality, I will say it again if he was a free or a couple of million he would have been written off a long time ago by the club, this wont happen as its a Cortese sanctioned signing, he will as long as he is here always get game time, he is not a bad player simply crap a lot of the time for us, sometimes signings do not work.

Not the day to be negative about him. Save it for the day he doesn't unlock a defence when no one else could.

No offence fella, but thank god you are no where near selecting our side/ subs or we'd have 1 point yesterday not 3. Gaston was clearly (to any non narrow minded anti moron) the difference with his outrageous through ball to Lallana, direct running, skill and all round footballing brain. A pleasure to watch for me and my season ticket holding mates.

By the way Cork was playing well, top sub by Poch, a bold one at that.

I am lucky enough to be bought up a Southampton fan. I love a "champagne footballer". Barry mush, you probably love 442 "GET IT FORWARD" football, Dowie flick ones to Shipperly etc. I was there too in those days, the wins were great (few and far between like but good), however only a genuine footballing dinosaur can fail to see Gaston's obvious class. Lallana is worth my ST money alone just to see his first touch. Chill out, think back to how it was a few years back, spark a cigar, crack a smile on your face and lean back enjoying what we are getting served up. It's alright on the sunny South coast.

Up the ****ing Saints.

No offence fella, but thank god you are no where near selecting our side/ subs or we'd have 1 point yesterday not 3. Gaston was clearly (to any non narrow minded anti moron) the difference with his outrageous through ball to Lallana, direct running, skill and all round footballing brain. A pleasure to watch for me and my season ticket holding mates.

By the way Cork was playing well, top sub by Poch, a bold one at that.

I am lucky enough to be bought up a Southampton fan. I love a "champagne footballer". Barry mush, you probably love 442 "GET IT FORWARD" football, Dowie flick ones to Shipperly etc. I was there too in those days, the wins were great (few and far between like but good), however only a genuine footballing dinosaur can fail to see Gaston's obvious class. Lallana is worth my ST money alone just to see his first touch. Chill out, think back to how it was a few years back, spark a cigar, crack a smile on your face and lean back enjoying what we are getting served up. It's alright on the sunny South coast.

Up the ****ing Saints.

No mush, if you believe Ramirez meant that pass you are smoking crack. if Ramirez is your idea of "champagne football" then you are easily pleased, but football is about opinions. You rate and admire Ramirez, I dont see how but thats your opinon, I think for what he has given is a waste of money and time, 1 goal and an assist does not make him a cracking buy, he took Cork off and put on a more attacking player, it worked out but that does not make him a tactical genius, we were at home to a poor side.

'Today' being the very important key word here. They were playing Fulham, who are woeful. He's dreadful.

I think the quality of the strike at Everton has been a boost for him. He was exactly the man we needed to bring on and MP made the sub at the right time. Ramirez is that player who can pick the ball up in the midfield and create something from nothing. More than often he will fail and give the ball away but if you are patient with him he will come good and create an opening. He did that today for Lallana and this was why we won!

Has anyone else noticed the funny peculiar way this player tries to tackle? Instead of putting his foot in and attempting to win the ball back like any normal midfielder would, more often than not he kinda performs what I can only describe as the Gaston Ramirez 'Red Arrow' maneuverer.

Just like the RAF's elite aerobatic team he gets thrillingly close to his opposite number without ever quite making contact ... oh and then he flies off in the opposite direction!

I posted in the Everton Thread & Reaction that he showed a different side to his game up there and that he now appeared to be a work in progress. And good on him. If we only wanted players to run around and not give the ball away as fans we would NEVER have tolerated a young MLT in our team.

I look forward to the coming weeks/months. It will enjoyable to watch one particular poster (who makes up offensive names for our players and then runs to Mummy when he is called Thrush) eating humble pie.

If Gaston had been on for the whole game today we would have conceded he offers nothing when we don't have the ball, he just doesn't seem to be able to close down or tackle effectively, a problem in the system we use. He is at best a late game impact sub. He was terrible against Burnley and we only improved once he left the pitch and Adam came on. When you look at the options I just don't think it's worth dropping Adam, Jrod or Davis for Gaston. We do lack creative players but as Adam has showed you can be creative and good with the ball at your feet and hard working without the ball to.

Just watched the full 90 again and rate Gaston 6/10 for his short cameo

Good assist for the goal (wasnt intended for Lallana but doesnt matter)

Hope he kicks on from here (but said that about 6-7 times)

Can I suggest that you watch it again and you'll find that he looks up in Lallana's direction just before the ball comes to him, he then plays it first time with spin right into Adam's path so that he does not even have to break stride !

It was as intentional as it was audacious, utterly brilliant !!

this is probably best post from you last few years

talk about 'new signings'

no doubt andy f00king carroll will cause havoc when we play them

If he's fit.

On Gaston, I'm in the "utter class" camp. I pity those who cannot see what he offers going forward.

I don't want him having defensive duties, we have others for that.

We opened up in the middle when he came on as Cork instead of Davies was taken off. SD, good player that he is, isn't nearly as good as JC in the holding role.

He made the difference that lead to us winning the game. Deserves the credit MP gave. I like Davis but Gaston is miles more effective in his role.

As the commentator on the TV said yesterday Davis doesn't go wide or look to create attacking positions very often, so when we have the ball in midfield as we invariably do we have to check back as often as not because there's nothing better available.Lambert used to create a fair few wide options but now he just isn't getting forward anywhere near quickly enough. Once you get Gaston moving forward all of the time then you have more options even if he loses the ball on occasions. Ideally we need to be getting 60 minutes out of him in nigh on every game. Yesterday I thought he worked hard and tracked back as well as would seem to prove couple of very iffy clearances from the edges of our own box. Obviously something he's not used to doing yet but I'm sure that he'll get there given time..