PS4 or XBOX One

Batman

Got a PS4 last weekend bundled with AC Unity, which is OK. Bought Shadow of Mordor also in the week. Just starting on a bit of Uruk-hai slaying now. Never had an X Box so cannot compare any of them with the previous Sony consoles I've owned PS, PS2, PS3 and now PS4 have done pretty much everything I've ever wanted from a games console. I might have missed a few exclusives on the other side but I've also had the benefit of the Uncharted series which have given me the most enjoyable gaming experiences I have had. Don't do online, too old/slow and can't be arsed to learn maps etc.

This - why cant they have a veterans section for online play - My reflexes are just not what they used to be and I don't have the time to burn to practice 3 hours a day - as a result I get my ass handed to me on pretty much every game.

• 4 weeks later...

Got both PS4 and Xbox One. I prefer the xbox

Why?

The whole concept of online is broken with the ps4... Log into your ps with one I'd but that is not tied to the PSN ID... Try swapping accounts .. It's s ball ache (say if your mate comes round and you want to play as his a/c)

The xbox has a more complete concept with the Gamertag

INSTANT ON... With xbox you can turn it on and restart your game super quick while on PS4 you have to boot, load the game, load your save.. Seems like nothing but once you've tried it, you find it super annoying that the ps4 hasn't got it

Controllers...I'll never like the ps controller... And I had a PS1 back in the 90's, so it's not a recent dislike. Mind you, I have man sized hands.

The UI. I just don't get the PS4 UI and I think they've made it WORSE in the latest update

I've got the PS4 for naughty dog games, that's all

Heat? Ps4 gets hotter and is way more noisy

Digital games? Great! No having to get up and swap discs. Happy lazy days :)

Hth

Well I now have both machines as the Xbox One has Forza 5 and PS4 doesn't have a decent racer on it yet. There is no doubt that Xbox has the better controller and I can link to my PC and play music etc.

The Xbox I bought came with Kinect which IMO is a waste of time although the newer version doesn't need you to have a vast room but it's much quicker just to press the home button than use voice commands etc.

Overall I'm happy with both machines but the one thing I don't get, is that the TV app on Xbox wants me to plug a cable from Sky or a Freeview box into it to view TV. What's the point of that? All it means is that you don't have to change source on your TV but it seems like a feature most people wouldn't bother with.

our Virgin V+ is connected through the Xbox One input. and the Kinect works best with the TV. its a hell of a lot quicker to say "Xbox Watch E4 +1" or some other random channel than scroll down a list of channels as you cant remember the number, but as the Kinect doubles as an infrared blaster "xbox pause" is very quick when the phone rings or the door goes.

Also "Snap TV" allows you to have the TV alongside any game.

and the Xbox One provides an altenate more detailed programme guide that integrates apps like Netflix / Amazon Instant Video / Youtube.

I played fifa with a mate on his Xbox one and I commented that the Xbox one felt more arcadey than the equivalent game on my ps4. Cue the Xbox snapping to Xbox arcade and our online opponent immediately scoring a goal in the confusion. I can't be dealing with that rubbish.

The fact that XBox One doesn't have an "Xbox Arcade" really plays down the truthfulness of that statement.

The fact that XBox One doesn't have an "Xbox Arcade" really plays down the truthfulness of that statement.

What program comes up wheb you say Xbox arcade then? I immediately exited the program to go back into fifa so I didn't see what it opened but I presume it was some arcade program. I've only been on the Xbox a couple of times, not sure why I would feel the need to make it up.

What program comes up wheb you say Xbox arcade then? I immediately exited the program to go back into fifa so I didn't see what it opened but I presume it was some arcade program. I've only been on the Xbox a couple of times, not sure why I would feel the need to make it up.

Saying "Xbox go to Arcadey" played Uplay but that "go to" bit is hugely important just saying "Xbox Arcadey" does nothing"

Can't say I've ever jumped apps or snapped something by accident. It recognises specific commands, not just when you mention the word Xbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it to me quite often! But we still love it - couldn't be without it now. Haven't picked up a remote control in months.

• 1 month later...

Found it quite interesting this weekend. A friend came over to see how I was doing post-op, and as the gf was out we spent most of the day playing on the p4 (shut up we are grown ups).

He bought an Xbox one last year and has pretty much almost given up on it. He loved the ps4, and was pretty annoyed he's bought the wrong console.

Felt quite vindicated.

Funny that, he's had a 360 since about '07. Last Playstation he owned was a ps2.

Same for me, prior to the ps4 I'd had a 360.

I really love it.

You'll have to forgive our Nolan ( or "Noley", as I like to call him ). He's still a bit bitter, whereas I was shopping for XBox Ones this weekend. Didn't end up getting one as no-one local had a decent bundle in.

You'll have to forgive our Nolan ( or "Noley", as I like to call him ). He's still a bit bitter, whereas I was shopping for XBox Ones this weekend. Didn't end up getting one as no-one local had a decent bundle in.

I was once generally known as noley the goalie so that's fine.

The Xbox deals at the moment are fantastic. Generally at £280 and when you can get 8 EA games on EA access for 4 quid a month, it's a no brainer.

The people at large don't seem to think it's a no-brainer, Noley, as M$ can't seem to flog any of them, they keep dropping the price more and more and people still aren't buying :lol:

Bill Gates will be down Blackbushe market soon trying to sell 2 for a £1 :lol:

Edited by BlakeySFC

I was once generally known as noley the goalie so that's fine.

The Xbox deals at the moment are fantastic. Generally at £280 and when you can get 8 EA games on EA access for 4 quid a month, it's a no brainer.

I see.

noley.png

Found it quite interesting this weekend. A friend came over to see how I was doing post-op, and as the gf was out we spent most of the day playing on the p4 (shut up we are grown ups).

He bought an Xbox one last year and has pretty much almost given up on it. He loved the ps4, and was pretty annoyed he's bought the wrong console.

Felt quite vindicated.

So what did he find in a PS4 that he didn't get in an Xbox? I am one of those lazy bstrds that have always been Xbox

• 2 weeks later...

This is interesting, and probably an indication of how the different console manufacturers are going to differentiate.

Powers has debuted on PSN. It's a new TV show based on a comic book by Brian Michael Bendis. I've read the comic; it's excellent, and the show features some pretty big names, including Eddie Izzard, Sharlto Copley and Michelle Forbes.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/03/10/powers-premiere-available-now-only-on-playstation/

So what did he find in a PS4 that he didn't get in an Xbox? I am one of those lazy bstrds that have always been Xbox

Hey, sorry Whelk missed this til now.

Honestly, I'm not actually sure. He just kept saying he brought the wrong console. I'll enquire further next time I see him. He did seem to really love the controllers though.

So we are now in the middle of March 2015 & we still have no DLNA support for PS4 .... :mcinnes:

I wouldn't be entirely sure that it's ever coming.

Look at the way the platform has been positioned. They want to sell you video, not allow you to play your own files.

You don't need a full-on console for media stuff anyway. Raspberry Pi with Kodi will set you back less than £60 and give you a media centre that kicks consoles' arses.

Don't get me wrong. From a consumer's point of view, definitely for someone that has gone PS3->PS4, it's presently shít and I can understand why people feel they've been left out. However, Sony never advertised this as a media tank, and if you're serious about playing back the most number of formats, you're better off looking at something else anyway.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
If I've just heard correctly.....you will be able to play 360 games on the Xbox One.

A very limited number, at first. Sounds like emulation via update, like the original Xbox games on 360. Handy to have for people making the jump from 360 to XB1.

• 3 months later...

I've got both consoles, Mr. Armstrong, and there really isn't much in it between the two right now I would say.

The PS4 is the market leader, it has a slicker menu (more snappy, intuitive and better designed), plays the majority of 3rd party games at a higher frame rate and resolution than the Xbox One, has the slightly better controller (subjective), but it's a bit lacking on exclusive games right now, the next 'big' Sony exclusive is Uncharted 4 which comes out in March 2016.

The Xbox One has a unintuitive, cumbersome menu, a slightly worse controller (subjective), plays the majority of 3rd party games at lower frame-rates and resolutions than the PS4, but has got more exclusive games for it with a couple more due out within a month (Halo 5 and Rise of the Tomb Raider).

It all really depends what you want the console for, if you just want it to play the latest FIFA and CoD when they come out every year, whilst watching the occasional Blu-Ray/DVD on it, then it really doesn't matter which you get, but if some of the points mentioned to you about frame-rates/resolutions or exclusive games for each console matter to you then that will swing it for you either way.

So it's up to you really, if you can get a good deal on either, or a good bundle (plenty of good ones coming out in recent weeks) then just go with the cheapest and best deal you can get on either really.

For me personally, I much prefer my PS4 to the Xbox One, but I am a 'hardcore' gamer that puts in at least 21 hours of gaming a week and has been gaming since the Age of 5, so the PS4 suits my wants and needs more than it might suit you, as I said above, it all depends on what you want from the console really.

The new Xbox interface is a vast improvement. It's was my only real complaint with the system before. It's now much faster, intuitive and far nicer on the eye too. Everyone with an Xbox One will get the update next month. The PS4 interface used to be miles ahead, but I think Xbox sneaks it now.

Does anyone know if this update will incorporate the backward compatibility of Xbox 360 games that was mooted for the One system? I'd really look forward to another round of Deadspace 1&2. I have both PS4 and Xbox One and I prefer the PS4 graphically, but the Microsoft interface is much better.

Does anyone know if this update will incorporate the backward compatibility of Xbox 360 games that was mooted for the One system? I'd really look forward to another round of Deadspace 1&2. I have both PS4 and Xbox One and I prefer the PS4 graphically, but the Microsoft interface is much better.

It will (though games will get checked for compatability and some games won't be available due to licence expirations). And 360 games are getting bundled with new games too. For example, those who bought gears of war remastered get ALL Four 360 gow titles. Fallout 4 has the 360 version of fallout 3 bundled in and Just Cause 3 also comes with Just Cause 2

Sent from my HTC Desire 310 using Tapatalk

Edited by Nolan

I've got both consoles, Mr. Armstrong, and there really isn't much in it between the two right now I would say.

The PS4 is the market leader, it has a slicker menu (more snappy, intuitive and better designed), plays the majority of 3rd party games at a higher frame rate and resolution than the Xbox One, has the slightly better controller (subjective), but it's a bit lacking on exclusive games right now, the next 'big' Sony exclusive is Uncharted 4 which comes out in March 2016.

The Xbox One has a unintuitive, cumbersome menu, a slightly worse controller (subjective), plays the majority of 3rd party games at lower frame-rates and resolutions than the PS4, but has got more exclusive games for it with a couple more due out within a month (Halo 5 and Rise of the Tomb Raider).

It all really depends what you want the console for, if you just want it to play the latest FIFA and CoD when they come out every year, whilst watching the occasional Blu-Ray/DVD on it, then it really doesn't matter which you get, but if some of the points mentioned to you about frame-rates/resolutions or exclusive games for each console matter to you then that will swing it for you either way.

So it's up to you really, if you can get a good deal on either, or a good bundle (plenty of good ones coming out in recent weeks) then just go with the cheapest and best deal you can get on either really.

For me personally, I much prefer my PS4 to the Xbox One, but I am a 'hardcore' gamer that puts in at least 21 hours of gaming a week and has been gaming since the Age of 5, so the PS4 suits my wants and needs more than it might suit you, as I said above, it all depends on what you want from the console really.

Thanks for a thorough response!

I stumbled upon this deal during a search, what'd you think? http://www.zavvi.com/ps4-hardware/sony-playstation-4-1tb-ultimate-player-edition-console/11160155.html

If I'm honest, having read/watched some reviews and spoken to people, the only reason for me to get an Xbox would be to play against my mates online.

So... I'm pretty undecided. But this deal seems so good, that it might just swing it for me.