PS4 or XBOX One

Batman

Well... it seems a better resolution doesn't mean better in this Digital Foundry Thief comparison: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-thief-next-gen-face-off

If you're committed to buying for one next-gen platform or another, the superior texture filtering on Xbox One means it carries itself slightly better in the visual stakes - but frame-pacing aside, for the most part all three versions match up very closely indeed

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Well... it seems a better resolution doesn't mean better in this Digital Foundry Thief comparison: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-thief-next-gen-face-off

Pah. Textures. I acknowledge the difference, but if you'd wanted to stick the knife into the PS4, you should really have gone with the Killzone multiplayer debacle.

Turns out that despite Sony saying Killzone multiplayer is 1080p @ 60FPS, it actually isn't. It's 1080p on the vertical, but the PS4 is only rendering half of the screen at once, giving an effective resolution of 960x1080.

Bad bad Sony :(

Y'see Nolan, if it's sh!t, it's sh!t. Needs to be reported, not papered over.

It just goes to show you: There are a lot of people out there who fall for the PS4's 1080p / 60hz specs, despite its texture filtering being poorer than the Xbox One's, thus making it visually inferior.

Please expand, Essruu. We all enjoy your pearls of wisdom.

It seems that the sterling reputation of the Daily Star is being impugned again. Despite its publication of an article indicating that everything would soon be alright for XBox One owners, confirmation today that Titanfall, XBox One's flagship game, will retain its meagre 792p resolution on release.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-titanfall-ships-at-792p

Tellingly, Respawn's lead engineer is another developer to go on record mentioning the ESRAM as a bottleneck on the One.

"We've been experimenting with making it higher and lower. One of the big tricks is how much ESRAM we're going to use, so we're thinking of not using hardware MSAA and instead using FXAA to make it so we don't have to have this larger render target," Baker told us.

Now it's a going to be lot of techy b*llocks to some people, but this is effectively Respawn's lead tech bod admitting defeat on 1080p for Titanfall.

With my hand fully on the rim of my tinfoil hat, I wonder if the reason for the delay of the 360 version is because it doesn't look too different.

You're not one of those feeling bitter about the 87 Metacritic score, are you Pap?

Not at all. Pre-ordered the definitive edition on PC.

titanfall.png

Edited by pap
Added image for extra lols

I read the start of this thread because I was in the market for a new console. The things that influenced my final decision were, price, size, power. I was advised to wait until the Titanfall edition of Xbox One, but on the basis that the game might kick start the consoles sales I chose to buy the PS4. It sits nicely on top of my 360 and when I've finished playing my remaining Xbox games, then I'll get rid. The resolution and graphics are outstanding

I've had a little blast on Titanfall tonight. I'm playing the PC version. It's a very good game, but COD with mechs isn't too bad a description. The titans are a lot nippier than I thought they'd be, and the games of cat and mouse, not to mention balls-out fire-fights between multiple titans, are very smart. It is a lot of fun.

That said, it's not a next gen game. Graphically, things are a bit clunky, especially when running around as a pilot. There are also no destructible environments. It makes no sense that these feck off robots of death can't penetrate a bit of plasterboard. However, every cloud is a silver lining; I managed to unload weapons into loads of titans confident in the safety of my indestructible brick wall. It was all fun and games until one of them fired a rocket through the window. Splash damage - the noisy killer.

It's a great game idea; I like the bits of lore that I've seen, but feels very much like GT Prologue or something. Really don't think the potential of the mechs has been realised - the devs should probably look at the Frostbite engine (Battlefield) for the next one.

Will post an update when I've spent more time on it.

Played a bit more of Titanfall. This game is going to be pretty significant moving forward; think it might have killed COD. The pilot/titan mechanic works really well. All the damage that you inflict on the enemy shortens the time it takes to get your giant robot. Keeping that thing alive is a real buzz in itself; the longer you stay alive, the more damage you can do to the enemy. They've nailed risk vs reward in this, I reckon - even down to the weapons. Do you take the trusty assault rifle that'll serve you well on the iron-sights, or go for the futuristic pistol which makes mincemeat of the AI, but is a bit of a bastard when it comes to targeting human players?

Still think the game would have benefited from destructible environments, but other than that - it's a finely balanced game. Really enjoying it; a no-brainer if you have an XBox One, 360 or decent PC.

Got Xbox One yesterday based on Titanfall reviews. Bit p1ssed off no SkyGO app - means will still need to keep the 360.

Fear I will experience buyers remorse as doesn't seem to have too much going for it.

Well, MS's decision to buy exclusivity has worked on at least one level.

It's a good game though; just a bit of a p!sser that such a coarse strategy (spend enough money to limit the market on a big third-party game) from a consumer's point of view. The only thing that is stopping this from running on the PS4 is a big pile of cash. EA are apparently p!ssed off that they misjudged the sales situation so much. Their former CEO thought that Microsoft was going to "eat Sony's lunch".

Can you confirm a source for EA being so annoyed Pap? You're normally very hot on wanting people to back up what they say.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Yeah, of course.

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/653445-analyst-titanfall-2-wont-be-xbox-exclusive-former-ea-ceo-thought-ms-would-kick-sonys-butt-next-gen

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/03/pachter_titanfall_exclusivity_due_to_industry_thinking_xbox_one_would_eat_ps4s_lunch

Sort your Tapatalk signature out, Muggle :)

An assumption by an analyst is not confirmation it happened.

The analyst is directly quoting EA's former CEO.

He's either lying (and will presumably will face a lawsuit) or we can assume it happened.

A CEO who left the position months before the One was even announced.

Yes, Nolan.

All these software houses providing games for new consoles find out about the machine at EXACTLY the same time as the public.

:mcinnes:

Titanfall has been in development since 2011. Wasn't originally a One game, but EA ( and all big partners ) would have known what was coming down the pipeline well ahead of the public.

Yes, Nolan.

All these software houses providing games for new consoles find out about the machine at EXACTLY the same time as the public.

:mcinnes:

Titanfall has been in development since 2011. Wasn't originally a One game, but EA ( and all big partners ) would have known what was coming down the pipeline well ahead of the public.

Leaks of Titanfalls exclusivity only came out at the end of April 2013 after that blokes departure. He probably knew very little if anything about it./

Are you two girls still bickering?

As a father of two girls, I find your comment sexist.

That said, yes.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-titanfall-next-gen-face-off

Next-gen face-off for Titanfall.

To be clear though - while this is an easy win for the PC, any Titanfall purchase is still a good one. Respawn's focus on technology to facilitate fun as opposed to pushing back the frontiers of rendering has paid off, and while the Xbox One game has its issues, there's no doubt that the experience is enjoyable. However, from everything we know about the studio and what it sets out to achieve with its games, we can't help but feel that Xbox One under-delivers while the PC game is much closer to the experience the developers set out to create.

Was able to get some data from VGChartz concerning this 96% jump in sales for XBox One following Titanfall, incidentally the only figure being bandied about in the articles. As I said in my prior post, it's meaningless without some baseline.

Couldn't get a UK sales figure, but I was able to procure a sales figure for the whole of Europe. For the week of March 8th ( the week before Titanfall's release ), 15,529 XBox One units were sold in the whole of Europe. Let's be generous and say that the UK bought it all.

Applying the 96% to the Europe figure, just over 30K units would have been sold. This article (don't know how trustworthy it is) pegs the UK sales of XBox One hardware at 23K.

http://www.insiderp.com/titanfall-launch-sales.html

To put it into some sort of context, other games have seen as much as a 700% increase in hardware sales. The Wii went even higher with 1000%. Turns out Titanfall might not be the system seller panacea Microsoft were looking for. Does 23K-30K sales really justify all the headlines?

That is their poor attempt to justify their 'numbers'. Sadly time and again their numbers are simply pointed and laughed at by people in the industry.

Source? I look forward to that one.

You said they pulled their numbers from thin air. They say they do use some projected figures, but re-align them when they get actuals.

They guess.

Don't you ever wonder why no one quotes VGChartz? It's because the sensible world accepts they are bull.

So no source then. Just hyperbole and you wild imagination. Maybe you can imagine 1080p.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=18919

"Essentially, Walton is saying that he uses a number of high quality factors to produce his estimates, but can't mention any of the retail sources, or companies that VGChartz works with. Well, fair enough. But did you realize that VGChartz estimates can retroactively change by 100% or more based on 'official' chart results?

Iron Man & Retrofitting

One of the most unexpected results in the recent NPD charts for May was the appearance of the poorly reviewed Iron Man game for PlayStation 2 in the Top 10 of the charts, with 130,000 copies sold.

Thinking about it carefully, with the movie rocketing to unexpected success during the month, it would make sense that the game would sell well. But it's not the kind of game that you're likely to estimate in the Top 10 - and indeed VGChartz did not, estimating 53,000 units in sales, according to VGChartz staffers.

But what's surprising is that Iron Man for PlayStation 2 has been adjusted in its official VGChartz page so that its first four weeks of sales (encompassing May) add up to 111,000 units.

Clearly, these numbers have been changed after NPD debuted, showing a couple of things. Firstly, if you were a journalist, you could have cited VGChartz as saying Iron Man was a flop on PS2, selling half as many units - when NPD vibrantly disagrees. In addition, and more interestingly, it shows that VGChartz trusts NPD over their own prediction data by retroactively changing things to better match. "

Chart track are a very respected source of information. I believe it was you who didn't like it when they said that the xbox one sales had gone up 96% last week though.

Nah, I just asked the question - "96% of what?".

I think that's fair. Whenever I announce an improvement in percentage terms I put it in the context of the numbers. If I didn't, I know that's the very next question management would ask.

word of warning to anyone thinking of getting titanfail don't. like another ea product battlefail 4 its got a lot of problems with random crashes during play. please do yourself a favour and avoid.

I've had it on PC for over a week. There were some initial technical problems, although I believe that they are dropping a new patch very soon, if not already on the PC. I share your concern that EA have been p!ss-poor at launch, but then they're not alone. Blizzard have made most of their money through World of Warcraft, yet even they dropped the ball big-style when releasing Diablo III.

I think it's a symptom of the age, rather than the developer. Titanfall is a multiplayer game; that's always going to leave developers with elements outside their control (such as the number of people rushing to get in on day one, or the crazy things a large volume of players can find).

As for the game itself, it's very good but as I've said before, ultimately limited. The core gameplay is a lot of fun, but it doesn't really get away from the fact that it is very COD-like. The big changes are the verticality and the killstreak mechanism. Titans and burn cards effectively replace killstreak rewards. One week after purchase, it's a case of diminishing returns. Don't think it'll get a look-in again until inFamous is done.

See you in a couple of hours then (InFamous looks great but narrow story by some accounts I've read).

I'd expect any PS4 title released at the moment to hit the top of the charts at the moment.

Undoubtedly there are more PS4's in play but also (significantly) because there are less titles available than for Xbox One.

If I were a PS4 owner I'd see that as the biggest threat from Xbox - Sony don't seem to have the same exclusive title machine as MS, at least for the first 12 months.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_276 using Tapatalk