Taking a 4yr old to St Mary's

kitch

Might seem like a dumb question, but does anyone do this? I'm thinking of heading to the Yeovil game with my brother and I know one of my boys will want to come when he hears I'm going. He's only 4 (a little 4yr old too) and pretty quiet, but he seems to want to go and see a game there and I'd love to take him, but wanted to hear from others in the same boat.

Used to go to The Dell all the time with my bro and most of the banter/langauge/rowdyness went over my head, but have never been to a game at St Mary's. I know we're a friendly club....not exactly Leeds or Millwall!

Would imagine most people will say "yeah, the why the hell not?" but thought I'd check first. See there's a family enclosure - would that be ok?

Opinions would be appreciated!

Rich

I used to sit in the family enclosure until last summer (when they kicked out any families who no-longer had a young child in tow.)

It's a more then suitable place for the youngsters, there are regularly children about 4 years of age in that section and although it is busy the atmosphere is friendly yet nicely partisan.

For the Yeovil cup game though it will be quiet, no more the 16k I would say so you will be able to get tickets there easily and see how he copes.

Cheers, that's what I was thinking regarding Yeovil - it'll be quieter for him and it'll give him a chance to get used to it. Not sure what I've done wrong with him (or his twin brother) as I used to love loud noises!

Used to take them both to airshows when they were 2....maybe it's my fault!

Cheers

I took my older son to his first game when he was two I think. It's his 7th birthday today, and he's had a season ticket for the past 3 seasons. Haven't taken the younger one yet (who is nearly 4) but I think I probably will the next time his brother can't make it. We sit in the family enclosure and don't have any problems with bad language etc. I'm probably one of the worst culprits to be honest....

Remind me not to sit near you then :D

To be fair I'm pretty bad with the language too - and to make it worse my kids always pick it up. One of them walked off the other day repeating "I'm going to f**king lose my s**t in a minute!" as I was building one of their toys at Christmas.

Bad day.

I took my four year old to his first game v Burnley. Family enclosure was great, with plenty of space (it will no doubt be the same v Yeovil), and no problems with language or behaviour. He did get a bit bored and spent half the time playing on his LeapPad, but I think that he enjoyed himself overall.

A cup game is a good introduction to it for them. First took my 8yo to the Blackpool cup game when Guly scored from outside the box, hence my son saying he was our best player for the next 18 months. He now has a ST with me in the family stand and loves it. Yet to take my 4yo, may do for the Yeovil game but there really is no way he'll sit still for 90 minutes. All kids are different in how they react - I've seen 4yo's cry when we have scored because of the noise, but there's also plenty of even smaller kids who have season tickets and manage to cope just fine.

He did get a bit bored and spent half the time playing on his LeapPad

That's alright i had a fully grown woman in her 40s next to me in the northam against west brom who spent the whole game playing angry birds on her phone, she also sat down and tutted at people who swore. God alone knows why she was there!

Nice one guys, I'll put it to him tonight and see if he's up for it. As you say, the sitting still for 120mins or so will be the toughest act to follow. He's pretty good to be fair, so we'll see. Be nice to take him.

Cheers

Nice one guys, I'll put it to him tonight and see if he's up for it. As you say, the sitting still for 120mins or so will be the toughest act to follow. He's pretty good to be fair, so we'll see. Be nice to take him.

Cheers

Nothing a bag of toys can't help with i'm sure. Hope he has a good time. (Assuming he's up for going!)

Remind me not to sit near you then :D

To be fair I'm pretty bad with the language too - and to make it worse my kids always pick it up. One of them walked off the other day repeating "I'm going to f**king lose my s**t in a minute!" as I was building one of their toys at Christmas.

Bad day.

This made me actually lol :D

I took my just under 4 year old daughter at the time to the palace game at st Mary's.

I took her and went up in the saints bar as it was her first game and was insure what her reaction would be. Well chuffed I want into the suite as it eased her in.

First half she was fine and could easily point out rickie and kept shouting shoot rickie even when he was in his own half lol.

She got restless at half time in the suite as she was hungry and school boy error I forgot snacks. I assumed I could buy some crisps or chocolate but they didn't sell any at all (joke)

So we watched the second half in the comfort of the lounge where shouldn't wouldn't anoy anyone!

I came to the opinion she's still a bit young so will go again next season , was worth going though just to ease her in so she knows what to expect next time! She keeps asking to go back so couldn't have been to bad. Think every child is different but probably 4 is a bit young!

I took my nipper (8YO now, about 6 then) to a pre-season friendly a couple of seasons ago - he'd played a game in the morning and had half an hour on a trampoline beforehand. Twenty minutes into the first half, he fell asleep on my lap. He woke up 5 minutes into the second half, looked at me and said "Can we just watch the first half and go, Dad?".

"Ok, son, no problem...." :^)

The only advice I'd offer it prepare him for the noise, take plenty of toys to keep him sat still (chips works as a bribe for my nipper) and don't let him drink all his drink in the first 10 minutes, or you will need those aisle seats.

I took my kids at about 5 years old, there's no problem that sweets, or capri sun can't solve. It may be worth getting an aisle seat as you may be up & down to the lavvy a few times. Just to mess things up, the family section isn't open for the Yeovil match.

Aisle seat is a good tip. I took my two grandsons to the Burnley game, sat in the Kingsland centre. Also went into the club with them. No phones to play games on, they were fine. I am repeating the trick for the Yeovil game.

I have 2 x 5 year olds (twins). They take it in turns to go to the game with me. It's free for them (except category A games). They love going - the day out with me, the atmosphere, the jumping around when we score. Sure they don't understand the game but it's a just a nice day out. I always bring a bag full of snacks and sweets in case they get bored, and occasionally the iPad is called upon but all in all I love taking them and they love going.

I take my 4 year old grandson and its his second season with a season ticket in the family area. No problems provided they are well provided for with snacks and drinks and don't mind being thrown in the air when we score. Knows all the players by sight and can tell me all about tactics and stupid referees. Only problem is he thinks that supporting Saints is always like this current team. He hasn't done the bad days.

Might seem like a dumb question, but does anyone do this? I'm thinking of heading to the Yeovil game with my brother and I know one of my boys will want to come when he hears I'm going. He's only 4 (a little 4yr old too) and pretty quiet, but he seems to want to go and see a game there and I'd love to take him, but wanted to hear from others in the same boat.

Used to go to The Dell all the time with my bro and most of the banter/langauge/rowdyness went over my head, but have never been to a game at St Mary's. I know we're a friendly club....not exactly Leeds or Millwall!

Would imagine most people will say "yeah, the why the hell not?" but thought I'd check first. See there's a family enclosure - would that be ok?

Rich

Took my eldest daughter to her first game when she was 4 in a 5-2 home win against Barnsley. Took my youngest daughter to Villa home last season for her first game for her 4th birthday 4-1 win.

Cannot wait to take my son to his first game, but he is 2, but think I will take him next season!

Rich

I took my lad (who was 5 but nearly 6) to the Sunderland home game this season in the family enclosure (recommend the family enclosure!), he loved it but was very tired in the second half . Have also taken him on a couple of occasions to see my local team, Adelaide United.

Also took him and my youngest lad (who was 3 but nearly 4) to the England qualifier against Moldova, although were were with my brother-in-law and my nephew's (aged 7 & 11) and having aother older kids there helped.

My experience is that there's no issues taking a 4year old, they will enjoy it (especially if there are goals) but there will be moments of them being bored and be prepared to leave early of your lad get's tired.

Good luck with it an hope he enjoys the game.