What has happened to Lambert?

Glasgow_Saint

Looked totally uninterested today.

think you're being a bit hard on him, Glasgow.

Rickie was 32 on 16th February...and has scored 8 league goals already this season (plus 1 in FA Cup).......there aren't too many other strikers of his age who are still playing regularly in the Prem. and scoring.

As for being disinterested (18th January quote).......he has now scored 2 goals in the last 4 games, and we don't know if he's carrying an injury ..or not...and no-one's going to admit to that - are they ?

His career surely has a short shelf life, but I don't think he's ready for the scrapheap yet, unless he sustains a serious injury.

• 3 years later...

I'm surprised and not surprised in equal measure he hasn't got a club yet, no doubt about his talent but the last few years must have been tough for him to take.

Plymouth were supposedly interested in signing him, but I'm struggling to believe they would be able to offer decent enough wages to persuade him to join.

He'll always be a Saints legend though. If he does end up retiring then I wish him all the best.

Definitely would take him as a coach.

Really?

Has he even done his coaching badges? Or do you think he'll get by on reputation alone. That Gabbi's gonna say say "wow that's Ricky Lambert. scored a lot of goals in the lower leagues, & had 2 good seasons in the Premiership, I'm in awe of him. Forget about his coaching credentials,I'm sure I can learn from him,seeing as I'm only an ex juve, Sampdoria & Napoli Italian international".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really?

Has he even done his coaching badges? Or do you think he'll get by on reputation alone. That Gabbi's gonna say say "wow that's Ricky Lambert. scored a lot of goals in the lower leagues, & had 2 good seasons in the Premiership, I'm in awe of him. Forget about his coaching credentials,I'm sure I can learn from him,seeing as I'm only an ex juve, Sampdoria & Napoli Italian international".

:lol:

all true

Really?

Seeing as we can't finish for toffee at the moment, he'd be a terrific addition.

Jaap Stam was coaching here whilst earning his badges under Ronald Koeman, no doubt Yoshida and VVD were looking at this defender thinking 'who's this fecker, what's he done in his career' because he had no badges :mcinnes:

Seeing as we can't finish for toffee at the moment, he'd be a terrific addition.

Jaap Stam was coaching here whilst earning his badges under Ronald Koeman, no doubt Yoshida and VVD were looking at this defender thinking 'who's this fecker, what's he done in his career' because he had no badges :mcinnes:

Talk about missing the point. Stam or lambert , one a lower league journeyman for most of his career, the other one of the top centre halves of his generation. Top players may get away with not having badges because of the respect they command. Ricky lambert won't .

On what do you base this assumption?

You have no idea if he is a decent coach or if he even wants to be a coach.

Also, are you really comparing the reputation in world football of Stam and Ricky Lambert :lol: :lol:

Talk about missing the point. Stam or lambert , one a lower league journeyman for most of his career, the other one of the top centre halves of his generation. Top players may get away with not having badges because of the respect they command. Ricky lambert won't .

Why do we have the former Barnsley goalkeeper coaching our goalkeepers then? Your argument doesn't add up.

Why do we have the former Barnsley goalkeeper coaching our goalkeepers then? Your argument doesn't add up.

That former Barnsley player has coaching badges and has coached at international level, so completely different to the untested Lambert, who you assume is an excellent coach on the basis that he was a good player for us... My god you are an idiot :lol: :mcinnes:

That former Barnsley player has coaching badges and has coached at international level, so completely different to the untested Lambert, who you assume is an excellent coach on the basis that he was a good player for us... My god you are an idiot :lol: :mcinnes:

I refer back to my earlier point - Stam coached here whilst earning his badges.

I never said that Lambert is an excellent coach - nobody knows whether he would be successful or not.

Why did we appoint Radhi Jaidi as a coach? He was untested too.

I think it's evident who the real idiots are here.

I never said that Lambert is an excellent coach - nobody knows whether he would be successful or not.

Yeah mate. You.

I refer back to you earlier post:

You have no evidence to suggest he would be a "terrific addition" at all, unless of course you think he's a good coach? which again, you have no evidence of.

Jaap Stam was learning his trade, he would have been coaching here on a voluntary basis, gaining experience before he took a step into paid work. There is no evidence that his coaching (and to what extent that was) improved our squad. So are you suggesting we get RL back here on a voluntary basis to improve him as a coach? If so, I would welcome that (assuming he wants to go into coaching of course).

As for Jaidi, he's currently learning his trade coaching the u23's, so that he has the experience required should he take the next step. He has no involvement with first team affairs.

Regardless of all of this, your comparison between Stam and Lambert's reputation is laughable

I refer back to you earlier post:

You have no evidence to suggest he would be a "terrific addition" at all, unless of course you think he's a good coach? which again, you have no evidence of.

Jaap Stam was learning his trade, he would have been coaching here on a voluntary basis, gaining experience before he took a step into paid work. There is no evidence that his coaching (and to what extent that was) improved our squad. So are you suggesting we get RL back here on a voluntary basis to improve him as a coach? If so, I would welcome that (assuming he wants to go into coaching of course).

As for Jaidi, he's currently learning his trade coaching the u23's, so that he has the experience required should he take the next step. He has no involvement with first team affairs.

Regardless of all of this, your comparison between Stam and Lambert's reputation is laughable

The person who made the first reference to the first team was Duckhunter. I disagreed with his comments that Gabbiadini, for example, wouldn't find his advice useful, and reducing him as some sort of lower-league journeyman who has nothing to offer couldn't be further from reality. Nevertheless, when I said 'get him in as a coach', I never said in what capacity he'd be coaching. If he was to come as a coach, of course it would be with the youth team/U23s, so I'm glad we're on the same wavelength there.

Dear god.

If Peter Schmeichel turned up at St Mary's and started coaching our keepers without the necessary badges, they'd listen, because of the respect they'll have for him. If Dave Watson turns up WITH NO COACHING CREDENTIALS they'd be like WTF.

Ricky Lambert was not good enough as a player to be fast tracked into a premier league club without the relevant coaching qualifications. We're not some 1950's throw back " jobs for the boys " outfit. IF Ricky lambert wants a coaching career now, I suggest he starts at Bristol Rovers or Eastleigh.

Dear god.

If Peter Schmeichel turned up at St Mary's and started coaching our keepers without the necessary badges, they'd listen, because of the respect they'll have for him. If Dave Watson turns up WITH NO COACHING CREDENTIALS they'd be like WTF.

Ricky Lambert was not good enough as a player to be fast tracked into a premier league club without the relevant coaching qualifications. We're not some 1950's throw back " jobs for the boys " outfit. IF Ricky lambert wants a coaching career now, I suggest he starts at Bristol Rovers or Eastleigh.

I think you need to learn how to read. No idea why you're obsessed with this idea that he would come in coaching with the first team.

Saints fans suggest one of Southampton's most prolific scorers ever may have the capacity to teach others a thing or two about goalscoring. Other Saints fans immediately ridicule them for it even though there is no evidence for either side to say whether or not he would make a good coach or not.

Do you really think people were suggesting Lambert as some sort of miracle worker to turn around our poor shooting or that he should immediately come in and start taking training sessions? Fans obviously still have some affinity with him and would like to see him back with the club in some capacity and due to the fact he's still playing (or nearing retirement) a coaching position seems a realistic option (not a likely option - just plausible). To me it's no different to when people mention Gerrard with Liverpool or Henry at Arsenal. Of course he may have no interest in it at all anyway and it isn't going to happen regardless but it doesn't hurt to think about it as a 'what if' does it?

Also he may not have been some sort of international superstar but it wouldn't surprise me if we had at least some local youngsters in the academy that would have started here when he was becoming a Saints legend and would look up to him in some way.

Anyway, seem to be taking this way too seriously - i'm sure the club would pick a qualified coach every time if they needed one but I see no reason to belittle people just for wanting to see a former Saints legend back with the club in some capacity. Kinda nice to see people can still have that connection with players considering all the renegades and turncoats we have nowadays.

:)Knowing the great Mr Lambert......he will score a couple against Liverpool....Roy of The Rovers player.:)

5/6 goals in our run in...on the plane to Rio.:)

Come on RL.........you know you can do it.

I am sticking with the star that is Rickie Lambert.

COYS:D

wow so nearly right in all your prediction,did you do the lottery?

Bug ger SRL! What's happened to "David in Sweden"?

I used to enjoy an hour or two reading one of his posts.

Good question.

Also Ottery St Mary (quoted above), he disappeared during the summer of 2014. Did we sell him to Liverpool ?

What I think it absolutely clear, and forgive me if this point has been made previously for I haven't checked the entire thread, is that whether you agree or disagree about Rickie Lambert's potential to be or not to be a finishing coach, regardless of coaching badges or relevant experience, given the fact he was himself a superb finisher, isn't there going to be a fundamental flaw in either the positive side or on the same line of thought the negative side as well?

Dear god.

I dunno. Franny's daughter?