Interim CEO Appointed

The Hoff

If Cortese had really been working notice since 3 months ago then surely a more clear plan would be in place.

Maybe it is. No one knows.

So far we have been linked to making the Board appointments of an Ice Hockey coach and an Austrian agent with 20 lower league players to his name.

So? What do you know of their qualities and ability? About the same as me I suspect?

Of course the statement was great, and welcomed, and the parts about not selling players - completely welcome those things. But you arent telling me that those two above pieces sit right with you that they are clearly good moves? It doesn't seem to me like a huge recipe for success based on what is known so far.

No one is looking for a 'huge recipe for success' from this early, temporary appointment. I would suggest most people simply expect to see things take place gradually and over a period of time. Give them a chance to do so.

And I know you disliked Cortese, but nearly all football related decisions he made in 4 years were correct. Whoever comes in has a lot to live up to IF we want to keep being successful - which, as a supporter is what I would rather happened.

As would we all - but to assume that this one INTERIM appointment somehow means that that won't happen is unfair IMO.

I get the feeling that over the last 7 days people have began to dumb down what Cortese gave us, simply because he isnt here anymore.

He did a great job in my book. But he's not here and we need to look forward, and judge the new board and CEO once they are ALL in place and have had time to develop their strategy.

IMO judging things now is like judging a club for it's transfer window activity after one loan player has been brought just 3 days into the window...

Two huge underwhelming appointments, now can we get a commitment from the board that they are prepared to spend to achieve our European ambitions?

I wonder.

How come when Cortese talked about CL you derided him and when KL doesn't mention CL in her first three days as Chairman you talk about lack of European ambition? Thats rhetorical btw, don't bother to reply, I know the answer.

If financial answer ability is what Katharina Liebherr wanted at the club, who better to put things in order than the Financial Director. Making him Interim CEO gives him all the power to get to the heart of whatever caused mistrust with Cortese running the show entirely by himself. It wouldn't make sense to put a permanent CEO in charge until finances have been put in order, and, if any, thewrong doings exposed

So interim until we're sold then.....Well that's the most optimistic explanation for the last few days...The alternative just reeks of incompetence.

I just cannot understand what is incompetent about putting an interim CEO in charge whilst you get your preferred choice.....I would love to know how you've come to that conclusion.

In fact, many companies turn to their CFO when the CEO leaves until they find a replacement.

If we'd have jumped the gun to get someone who was available rather than who we actually want (and I'm confident that's the reason for the INTERIM appointment) that would have been incompetent. KL's actions reflect a sensible approach to running a business.

How come when Cortese talked about CL you derided him and when KL doesn't mention CL in her first three days as Chairman you talk about lack of European ambition? Thats rhetorical btw, don't bother to reply, I know the answer.

I didn't believe Cortese and I dont know what Liebherr's intentions are as that statement is as clear as mud.

It said everything and nothing, real politik.

My guess is as good as anyones and no one knows

1) The club is for sale.

2) Retain players so when sold its should achieve a higher amount as its more attractive for the buyer.

3) Investment kept to a minimum as there is no point in buying players if you are selling.

4) Use continuity and stability as a guise to supporters.

I just cannot understand what is incompetent about putting an interim CEO in charge whilst you get your preferred choice.....I would love to know how you've come to that conclusion.

In fact, many companies turn to their CFO when the CEO leaves until they find a replacement.

If we'd have jumped the gun to get someone who was available rather than who we actually want (and I'm confident that's the reason for the INTERIM appointment) that would have been incompetent. KL's actions reflect a sensible approach to running a business.

fair points

I think people come to that conclusion as NC was leaving for the last 3 months. now we have an interim with all the speculation of the club being sold etc

we shall see in the summer

I didn't believe Cortese and I dont know what Liebherr's intentions are as that statement is as clear as mud.

It said everything and nothing, real politik.

My guess is as good as anyones and no one knows

1) The club is for sale.

2) Retain players so when sold its should achieve a higher amount as its more attractive for the buyer.

3) Investment kept to a minimum as there is no point in buying players if you are selling.

4) Use continuity and stability as a guise to supporters.

But the only real measure of continuity will be the results on the pitch, at the end of the day it's the only thing that a football club should be judged upon. All the rest is ancillary .

But the only real measure of continuity will be the results on the pitch, at the end of the day it's the only thing that a football club should be judged upon. All the rest is ancillary .

So you dont disagree with the points made? And what are our goals now Cortese has left, have they stopped or do they continue?

The competent thing to do would have been to appoint Rogers as interim CEO the day Cortese left...it wasn't like she didn't know it was coming....

So you dont disagree with the points made? And what are our goals now Cortese has left, have they stopped or do they continue?

I don't disagree because only the match performances and the results interest me, as long as we have good players and a good manager getting reasonable results I don't much care about the rest. When the results become "unreasonable or players start wanting to leave because of lack of ambition on the part of the club then I 'll take interest in the rest. It's football FFS.

I have no interest in the U21s because the best players break through to the first team long before that, the old players, the beer, the pies and the club being "fan friendly" do not interest me a great deal.

As long as the club remains stable on the pitch the rest doesn't matter. Well not to me anyway.

Interim until end of the season when club is sold to a Consortium headed by Cortese.

Planned all along. Cortese had to leave to ensure club can be valued correctly, European accounting regulations met and bid process is transparent.

Cortese ensured his manager remains in place with heavy suggestion "to see the job out until summer"

Pure conjecture, but probably as valid as many others!

What difference would that have made?

Exactly, its hardly like she's taken long to do it (in relative terms).

Maybe she wanted to draw up a list of candidates and find out who was available and when before appointing an interim CEO. If our preferred candidate had been available immediately then we might not have needed an interim at all. Again, the competent and responsible thing to do when running a business, only take action when you need to and have considered the circumstances.

To call the appointment incompetent purely because it wasn't made on the day Cortese left is a bit silly. If you agree with the move in principal then the timing is not relevant as nothing drastic has happened whilst we didn't have a CEO, but it was clearly a situation that couldn't continue indefinitely.

What difference would that have made?

Well without being an expert on these thing it may well have been seen as a positive and decisive move instead of letting a week or so go by and then just announcing an in house option anyway. I think it was said that they hoped to appoint a new CEO soon but we still don't know how soon soon actually is. It leaves too much open to speculation and that's never good.

Once again as long as the 15 or 16 core players believe that we're on the same path and the manager is not discouraged in any way then nothing else really matters does it. Some of us remember the search for the "right man for the job" when Hoddle left A whole summer of procrastination and then we got Stuart Gray.

Yes, but what difference does a week make in that regard?

I think I have explained that, a decisive measure taken straight away shows we were and are prepared, getting a Ice Hockey guy in and someone from the opposite office does not inspire when this could have been unveiled that day.

Anyway right or wrong it does not detract from the point these measures in my humble are there to keep the ship steady for selling and not for the future.

Did Liebherr say what her goals are for the club by the way?

I think I have explained that, a decisive measure taken straight away shows we were and are prepared, getting a Ice Hockey guy in and someone from the opposite office does not inspire when this could have been unveiled that day.

Anyway right or wrong it does not detract from the point these measures in my humble are there to keep the ship steady for selling and not for the future.

Did Liebherr say what her goals are for the club by the way?

Right, so it doesn't actually make any difference to anything at the moment.

And no, she hasn't stated in detail her plans for the club yet; would you rather she got fully to grips with everything before doing so, or just do it off the cuff on her first day? If we haven't got more information and a better set-up in several months time, then I would start to worry, not after one week of transition.

Whats happened with this John Williams guy then ?

depends who you want to listen to. Personally I've no idea but some would willingly tell you that he's working out his notice at PGMOL (is that it ?) and will be here sometime or other. He's a non-exec at the ref's jobby so what his notice period would be who knows. Perhaps he has to go to the end of the season as did his predecessor. Perhaps we're looking for someone else ,more germanic and with a higher profile.

Right, so it doesn't actually make any difference to anything at the moment.

And no, she hasn't stated in detail her plans for the club yet; would you rather she got fully to grips with everything before doing so, or just do it off the cuff on her first day? If we haven't got more information and a better set-up in several months time, then I would start to worry, not after one week of transition.

She did not know this was coming? Is that what you are saying? Cortese was lying and she did not have 3 months to prepare a statement?

depends who you want to listen to. Personally I've no idea but some would willingly tell you that he's working out his notice at PGMOL (is that it ?) and will be here sometime or other. He's a non-exec at the ref's jobby so what his notice period would be who knows. Perhaps he has to go to the end of the season as did his predecessor. Perhaps we're looking for someone else ,more germanic and with a higher profile.

Is PGMOL a listed company? Might be worth a check on recent director activity if it is.

She did not know this was coming? Is that what you are saying? Cortese was lying and she did not have 3 months to prepare a statement?
So what would you have realistically wanted to see and hear in this week? That she'll be spending £100m on a push for the Champions League? If we believe the bits that we've heard, she tried keeping hold of NC until pretty late on, the club can't make offers for any other CEOs while our existing one wasn't definitely leaving.

Businesses the world over would have the Finance Director to step in if the CEO stood down unexpectedly/suddenly/died.

Pretty standard practice.

But quite lovely to see the assorted divs on here getting excited/belittling/sneering/forecasting doom.

Bless you all.

Good luck Gareth, although barely needed as you are filling in for someone utterly replaceable.

Businesses the world over would have the Finance Director to step in if the CEO stood down unexpectedly/suddenly/died.

Pretty standard practice.

But quite lovely to see the assorted divs on here getting excited/belittling/sneering/forecasting doom.

Bless you all.

Good luck Gareth, although barely needed as you are filling in for someone utterly replaceable.

It's very interesting to see those who are being overly negative or predicting doom. Cult of Cortese indeed...