Clyne to World Cup

Matthew Le Tissier

Yeah we can see, but Woy won't take Clyne.

What are the other options? No other decent English right backs play regularly for their clubs. England will likely take two attacking right backs and Hodgson has already said in the build up to the last England games...

"Clyne is always in our thoughts, Ward-Prowse and Shaw are outstanding individuals, you have Chambers and other academy players who are very interesting."

If Johnson doesn't make it, Clyne's main obstacle maybe keeping ahead of Chambers for Saints.

He will use the slot for another position, as you said they are both there already and can cover RB.

Smalling and Jones wouldn't play right back in the same way Walker, Clyne or Johnson would. Very much shoe horning a centre back into right back.

Smalling and Jones will be going regardless of Johnson being injured or not. So if Hodgson is going to take 2 right backs (Johnson/Walker) and 4 centre backs (Jagielka/Cahill/Jones/Samlling) I don't see why an injury to Johnson means he'd then change the balance of the squad and bring an extra midfielder or striker instead. More likely he'd find a straight replacement for Johnson as an attacking right back, something which Smalling and Jones aren't and they'd be in the squad anyway.

I know, but Woy will choose Smalling/Jones first.

God knows how, both useless with the personas of 2 blokes who have accidentally found themselves playing for reputedly the most famous football team in the world and England as a result, but know that they are going to be found out soon for the Pub team players they actually are.

Roy was at the Chelsea game last week and more often than not looked less than impressed at the showing of Ingerlands "finest". If Clyne can get fit and back into the team I can see him sneaking onto the Brazil bound plane.

woy i fixated on crap man united players

smalling is a RB for united now, played there for England.

it will be Smalling and Walker I suspect

Smalling - crap

Jones - not very good

Cleverley - utter crap

welbeck - very average

all play for man u (no wonder they have fallen so much)

so guaranteed to get into the squad

I know, but Woy will choose Smalling/Jones first.

He will use the slot for another position, as you said they are both there already and can cover RB.

I know they are centrebacks filling in, but going on what Roy has done in the past I expect this to happen again.

I would love Clyne there but I can't see it on past choices Roy has made in the RB slot.

So on that basis, he wouldn't have taken Johnson anyway ?

woy i fixated on crap man united players

smalling is a RB for united now, played there for England.

it will be Smalling and Walker I suspect

Smalling - crap

Jones - not very good

Cleverley - utter crap

welbeck - very average

all play for man u (no wonder they have fallen so much)

so guaranteed to get into the squad

Don't get the hate for Welbeck, would be really good in a decent side, CDAJF for Arsenal or Chelsea, would be great for us and a much better finisher than JRod, he would score a hat-full if he played regularly for us.

Clyne for England? No chance unless he gets a consistent run of games/form between now and the end of the season, plenty good enough, he should be in the squad, but for various reasons including some under-performance in an under-performing u21 side he has no senior experience. He's rapidly becoming the new Jack Cork, everybody seems to be all over Chambers (who is good, who will be very good, but who at the moment is nowhere near Clyne's level), how soon we forget when a player slips out of the side.

Don't get the hate for Welbeck, would be really good in a decent side, CDAJF for Arsenal or Chelsea, would be great for us and a much better finisher than JRod, he would score a hat-full if he played regularly for us.

Clyne for England? No chance unless he gets a consistent run of games/form between now and the end of the season, plenty good enough, he should be in the squad, but for various reasons including some under-performance in an under-performing u21 side he has no senior experience. He's rapidly becoming the new Jack Cork, everybody seems to be all over Chambers (who is good, who will be very good, but who at the moment is nowhere near Clyne's level), how soon we forget when a player slips out of the side.

Another thread where I have to disagree with you. Wellbeck can't hit a barn door at 4 paces half the damn time (If I wasn't at work I would look up the stats for you for both players!).

As for chambers, the kid is class... to say he is nowhere near clyne's level is madness. There really isn't much in it to be honest.

How come arsenal or Chelsea re not breaking the bank for him

Go on red cafe and you will see the contempt for well beck and cleverly

So if Chambers keeps Clyne out for the rest of the season, and Roy has mentioned Chambers before, and Clyne is 3rd choice right back after Walker/Johnson (ignoring the Jones/Smalling impact) does that mean Chambers has a chance of going to the World Cup? Or are there other right backs who could be vying with Clyne for that spot? Micah Richards for example. I know Roy has already said he won't be taking any "new" players (barring injuries I guess), so that might kind of rule out Chambers.

If Roy is determined to take a 2nd right back, and will be taking Jones/Smalling anyway, then that 2nd right back will have to be someone. Perhaps it could be between Clyne and Chambers.... who knows by the end of the season.

Also takes a mean penalty, Puncheon-esque. How anyone can claim welbeck is a good finisher is beyond me. 2 goals in 40 last season for United, OK a bit better this year but he is a poor finisher, but may improve. he does have some good qualities though, his build up play is good but finishing, I think you're having a laugh.

I am very pleased that our players are mentioned but this makes me think in another way that how weak our National team has become where by we have 4/5 players in the mix for a World Cup place, we are 9th in the League not at the top.

good point and Lovren has arguably been our player of the season

Sorry, but your logic makes no sense.

You cant understand that I am saying Johnsons place probably won't be used by bringing in a rightback like Clyne. More likely be used for an extra striker/midfielder in the squad because he has Jones/Smalling already in the squad to cover Walker?

I don't understand your logic either.

If Hodgson is currently planing for...

3 keepers

2 right backs

2 left backs

4 centre backs

8 midfielders

4 strikers

Why would an injury to one of those 2 right backs makes mean he changes to...

3 keepers

1 right backs

2 left backs

4 centre backs

8 or 9 midfielders

4 or 5 strikers

?

What make far more sense to do a straight swap of right back out/right back in rather than change the whole make up of the squad. Smalling and Jone will go regardless of Johnson being fit or not, as we need 4 centre backs.

Edited by Matthew Le God

You cant understand that I am saying Johnsons place probably won't be used by bringing in a rightback like Clyne. More likely be used for an extra striker/midfielder in the squad because he has Jones/Smalling already in the squad to cover Walker?

If Johnsons fit , then why take him ? going by your logic.

If Johnsons fit , then why take him ? going by your logic.

Sigh...seriously?

Lets turn it around...if he isnt fit, which is likely, why call up Clyne (with no international/european experiance, apart from a shocking u21 performance) who seems to be at least FIFTH in the rightback pecking order for Woy?

I am very pleased that our players are mentioned but this makes me think in another way that how weak our National team has become where by we have 4/5 players in the mix for a World Cup place, we are 9th in the League not at the top.

I disagree with this, Saints are the example of what happens when you regularly field young, talented English players week in, week out rather than buying in a team of foreign jonnys. It's because we put 6-7 Englishman on the pitch each game that so many are being ear-marked with chance to go to Brazil, unlike most prem teams who put out 1 or 2.

Possibly not

either johnson or smalling would probably miss out

as it stands, looks like that is the case

Agreed, I'm not sure if Smalling will make the squad just going as a centre back. Surely the only reason he's been so close to the team is his adaptability at playing right back (and the fact that we're rather bereft of decent options at centre back). Sadly for England, Smalling is nowhere near a proficient international standard playing in either position, he's consistently shown that yet still gets picked. Neither is Phil Jones, though I do think he could develop into a decent centre back if he is given time. Unfortunately, I don't see Clyne getting any sort of opportunity to get on the plane. Especially if he can't force his way in front of Chambers at club level over the second half of the season.

I disagree with this, Saints are the example of what happens when you regularly field young, talented English players week in, week out rather than buying in a team of foreign jonnys. It's because we put 6-7 Englishman on the pitch each game that so many are being ear-marked with chance to go to Brazil, unlike most prem teams who put out 1 or 2.

I think that's the point, isn't it? English players are only good enough to make up a very small percentage of the best teams. If the top teams played 6-7 Englishmen in their sides, they simply wouldn't be the top teams any more.

Sigh...seriously?

Lets turn it around...if he isnt fit, which is likely, why call up Clyne (with no international/european experiance, apart from a shocking u21 performance) who seems to be at least FIFTH in the rightback pecking order for Woy?

Because this a Saints forum where the people who contribute are painfully biased thats why.

Sigh...seriously?

Seriously, why if johnsons not fit is it ok to sacrifice a replacement right back for another position (regardless wether its Clyne) but not do so if he is fit. Why take Johnson from what you are saying ?

Clyne is missed when he doesnt play even when Chambers has a good game because of his pace and good one on one defending, Chambers when players run at him does get done more often then not, he will be better with time you can see that but we need Clyne in more often then not.

Clyne should then stand out hopefully and be considered as i do feel he is a quality RB and should be 2nd or 3rd choice for England.

Seriously, why if johnsons not fit is it ok to sacrifice a replacement right back for another position (regardless wether its Clyne) but not do so if he is fit. Why take Johnson from what you are saying ?

Because the 3rd and 4th choice Rightbacks are already in the squad?

Ok, respect your view, but just cannot agree that Smalling and Jones are better than Clyne. Smalling is nowhere near as good. If they are then why take Johnson to start with ?

how come they have consistently been called up and clyne hasnt. Even when johnson has been out?