Chris Nicholl

OldNick

Chris Nicholl should have been one of greatest managers we have had. His teams played some magical football.

Unfortunately he followed our most successful manager in Lawrie, had he followed Branfoot he would have had a much longer tenure but following LM made his life very difficult. He was also an unlucky manager, Luton in the League cup and Oldham also were games we should have won but some poor decisions by the officials cost us.

Our defence was always absolutely shocking under him, even in our season where we finished seventh we had the third highest goals conceded, and we were very fragile at times despite looking irresistable going forwards.

Thinking back, Nicholl used to get absolute dogs abuse at the Dell, particularly when coming out for the games, he was often roundly booed. I remember being happy when he was sacked but in retrospect he actually did a decent job. And then we got Branfoot...

Our defence was always absolutely shocking under him, even in our season where we finished seventh we had the third highest goals conceded, and we were very fragile at times despite looking irresistable going forwards.

Thinking back, Nicholl used to get absolute dogs abuse at the Dell, particularly when coming out for the games, he was often roundly booed. I remember being happy when he was sacked but in retrospect he actually did a decent job. And then we got Branfoot...

There was no balance to the side. That is what happens when your defence only has support from 2 midfielders.

Yep, remember it well. A massive case of 'be careful what you wish for'.

Chris Nicholl should have been one of greatest managers we have had. His teams played some magical football.

Unfortunately he followed our most successful manager in Lawrie, had he followed Branfoot he would have had a much longer tenure but following LM made his life very difficult. He was also an unlucky manager, Luton in the League cup and Oldham also were games we should have won but some poor decisions by the officials cost us.

He had a pretty long tenure as it was. Put together what will always be my favourite ever Saints team - the free scoring, 4-2-4ing, Liverpool destroying wonder team but couldn't keep it going. His sacking was fair enough, he had more than a decent crack of the whip, but obiously the replacement with Branfoot and the clogging horrendous era that followed was a travesty.

Slightly odd that he never really worked meaningfully again, little stint at Walsall, and now he goes to grounds in the midlands and counts the corners and throw ins for the press association or something.

As soon as I saw the thread title I presumed Chris was dead or ill.

Put together what will always be my favourite ever Saints team - the free scoring, 4-2-4ing, Liverpool destroying wonder team but couldn't keep it going.

Totally agree with that, watching Saints was so much fun and so unpredictable, you never knew what was going to happen. The 4-1 Liverpool hammering will remain my favourite Saints game, we absolutely tore the best side in the land apart.

Amazing a defender overseeing a poor defence. We went on a long run of games where we didn't win and the pressure was on, I left with a minute or so to go at 0-0 against Newcastle and then all of a sudden we scored. The other fans in the street were jumping with joy,at long last we had won a game. He was learning and a sad loss when he left.The shadow of. LM hung over the club, Moyes is now having the same at Man Utd

He had a pretty long tenure as it was. Put together what will always be my favourite ever Saints team - the free scoring, 4-2-4ing, Liverpool destroying wonder team but couldn't keep it going. His sacking was fair enough, he had more than a decent crack of the whip, but obiously the replacement with Branfoot and the clogging horrendous era that followed was a travesty.

Slightly odd that he never really worked meaningfully again, little stint at Walsall, and now he goes to grounds in the midlands and counts the corners and throw ins for the press association or something.

As soon as I saw the thread title I presumed Chris was dead or ill.

The last I heard was that he was competing at a high level of veteran tennis tournaments, I used to play tennis with him at Lordshill and a private house in Chilworth. I would moan at him about FB ,but he would say he was worth his weight in gold due to his commitment and was a super member of the team. Oh well.....

ps sorry to give the thread title a bad vibe for yo u

CN will always represent a time when Saints meant the most to me.

I remember being heartbroken in 89/90 & 91 losing in the league cup 1/4 final on each occasion to Luton, Oldham and Man Utd.

Some great games. Shearers hatrick debut (4-2 win) v Arsenal in 87/88 and the 4-1 win against Liverpool in 89/90 stand out. Liverpool were dominant and had won practically all their games up until that day in October.

CN will always represent a time when Saints meant the most to me.

I remember being heartbroken in 89/90 & 91 losing in the league cup 1/4 final on each occasion to Luton, Oldham and Man Utd.

Some great games. Shearers hatrick debut (4-2 win) v Arsenal in 87/88 and the 4-1 win against Liverpool in 89/90 stand out. Liverpool were dominant and had won practically all their games up until that day in October.

Did we lose to Liverpool in the FA cup semi as well under CN

One of my favourite matches during Nicholl’s reign was the 4-2 League Cup victory over Swindon. 2 nil down at half time, Nicholl brought on the Bruise Brothers – Shearer and Ruddock – we equalised with a few minutes to go, and then banged in 2 goals in extra time. Brilliant game and atmosphere under the floodlights!

Did we lose to Liverpool in the FA cup semi as well under CN

Yep 1986, lost 0-2 after extra time. MArk wright broke his leg in the first half which ruled him out of Mexico 86

Also lost a league cup semi final too. Drew 0-0 at the dell and lost at Anfield in the second leg.

Edited by Turkish

One of my favourite matches during Nicholl’s reign was the 4-2 League Cup victory over Swindon. 2 nil down at half time, Nicholl brought on the Bruise Brothers – Shearer and Ruddock – we equalised with a few minutes to go, and then banged in 2 goals in extra time. Brilliant game and atmosphere under the floodlights!

Yeah I remember that game, Barry Horne scored a belter to get us back in it then ruddock and shearer came on as we went for it. 3rd goal was a great free kick from le Tiss. Great night and a great atmosphere.

Absolute re-writing of history. He was the most negative manager we ever had. Have you ever read what Mick Channon wrote about him in his biographies?

Totally agree with that, watching Saints was so much fun and so unpredictable, you never knew what was going to happen. The 4-1 Liverpool hammering will remain my favourite Saints game, we absolutely tore the best side in the land apart.

This was a game. I remember being on a Totton College night out in Raffles the Tuesday after and everybody still singing Saints songs.

What amazes me is that some of this team ended up playing at St Marys!

I remember that Luton game. Saints had a corner, Luton cleared, Saints played a through ball and one of our guys went through and beat the keeper. Critical goal, but the ref disallowed it for offside - and hadn't spotted that one of the defenders had stayed on the line with the keeper when the through ball was played. Met Jimmy Case in a London Road Indian some time later and asked him what the ref had said to him as he ran past him after the incident. Apparently it was along the lines of 'sorry Jim, I ****ed up there'.

The Liverpool semi final at White Hart Lane they just repeatedly hauled our fast wingers down near the halfway line and the ref did nothing, just free kick after free kick.

Luton was Roger Milford and his mystical 'play until Oldham score' injury time strategy. Even the Bedford Road takeaways were shut when that one ended.

Same **** refs, just a different era

Amazing a defender overseeing a poor defence. We went on a long run of games where we didn't win and the pressure was on, I left with a minute or so to go at 0-0 against Newcastle and then all of a sudden we scored. The other fans in the street were jumping with joy,at long last we had won a game. He was learning and a sad loss when he left.The shadow of. LM hung over the club, Moyes is now having the same at Man Utd

And Adkins was a goalkeeper....

(obviously not of the international quality that Nicholl was a defender)

Despite all the great games that we have own, I still would rate this as the best (even better than the 6-3), we absolutely caned them, and back then they were pretty much the best team in Europe.

Nicholl's era is such a great memory, the first time that I followed Saints properly, some great days and we always had a chance. Great players too, the Wallace's, MLT, Ruddock, Donny and Timmy, happy days!

In hindsight I feel sorry for Chris Nichol for his time as manager, and the fact he never really had a real opportunity again.

Have to admit that at the time I saw CN as being a mediocre manager, and by the time he left we were appearing to stagnate. But little did I realise it could get so horribly worse...

Following Lawrie was an impossible task, both on and off the pitch as CN did not inspire confidence in how he appeared with the media. The Mark Dennis episode lost him a lot of support as well.

We did however play some exciting stuff for a year with him, 89-90, with the emergence of Merrington's youth team.

Absolute re-writing of history. He was the most negative manager we ever had. Have you ever read what Mick Channon wrote about him in his biographies?

Don't agree he was more negative than Branfoot, Dave Jones etc.

I think the Channon view stems from when they were players, and did not get on. (At the time CN was manager, I think Channon played the MLT role to Nichol's Cortese, forever berating him to the press.).

i really don't get you FF, you seem to have so many grudges against people from the past. Strange from the proclaimed club historian.

I don't think it is rewriting of history, but my opinion. It obviously differs from yours but valid, If Nicholl had come after Branfoot not LM he would have had an easier ride

Also lost a league cup semi final too. Drew 0-0 at the dell and lost at Anfield in the second leg.

The night I lost complete respect for CN. We had an outside chance but what did Nichol do. He played the most defensive formation ever not to lose in the home leg (the first leg). PAH!!!

Following Lawrie was an impossible task, both on and off the pitch as CN did not inspire confidence in how he appeared with the media.

Agree his taciturn approach to the media didn’t always help him, especially following in the footsteps of LM, a man never short of a word or three. When Man Utd came in for Danny Wallace, I remember a reporter asking him what the position with Wallace was; dead-pan Nicholl replied: “right wing.”

Ray Wallace

Danny Wallace

Rodney Wallace

Matt Le Tissier

Alan Shearer

Dennis Wise

Ray Wallace? Do me a favour.

The rest were quality though, shame Wise never really got going with us.

Looking back I think Chris Nicholl was a pretty good manager that had the misfortune to follow probably our greatest ever manager.

His teams were never boring, we'd often get tonked 4-0 and then give someone a good tonking ourselves the next week.

To this day I think the MLT, Rod Wallace and Alan Shearer forwardline is the most exciting thing I've ever seen at Saints, they were bloody brilliant together.

Channon had left Saints a couple of seasons before CN came in.

Channon left in the summer of 1977, the same time that Nicholl signed. He then returned in Sept 79, so they played together for 3 seasons until we released Channon at the end of 81/82. Nicholl playing for one more season, before coming back as manager in the summer of 85.

remember going to Forest in a FA cup 5th round replay on a cold wednesday night..........we played the 1st half absolutely magical should of been 4 goals to the good but ended up going in only 1 goal up without reply.....that wiley old fox Cloughie brought on a young Nigel Jemson and in typical Nicholl style go all out to get the lead then try and defend it Jemson went on to score a 2nd half hat-trick and we lost the game.

I think this just about summed up Nicholls team of the time could and would play some of the best football that i have ever seen from Saints until we got the lead and then tried to sit on that lead with a very mediocre defence............why oh why ddin`t we continue our great attacking football

Can you imagine the meltdown on here if MP left and he was replaced by the assistant manager from Grimsby. :lol:

I agree with those that say he got a raw deal. He had the massive task of taking over from Lawrie and add to that some of our top players left relatively early into his reign, Shilton, Wright, Dennis etc. Despite not being able to follow Lawries success we were never really seriously threatened by releation, had a few good cup runs and played some great, exciting taking football. I remember when he left he said he wasn't sacked for failiure, it was faliure to bring success. Funny how these days finishing 7th and reach quite a few cup semis and quarter finals with a team of great young players scoring loads of goals would see him hailed as the greatest manager we've ever had by some........

Can you imagine the meltdown on here if MP left and he was replaced by the assistant manager from Grimsby. :lol:

I agree with those that say he got a raw deal. He had the massive task of taking over from Lawrie and add to that some of our top players left relatively early into his reign, Shilton, Wright, Dennis etc. Despite not being able to follow Lawries success we were never really seriously threatened by releation, had a few good cup runs and played some great, exciting taking football. I remember when he left he said he wasn't sacked for failiure, it was faliure to bring success. Funny how these days finishing 7th and reach quite a few cup semis and quarter finals with a team of great young players scoring loads of goals would see him hailed as the greatest manager we've ever had by some........

The newer supporters here lap up anything thrown at them and believe it, few if any from todays team would get close to the one from 84-86.

The liverpool game was the season when I went to most saints games. Was absolutley epic, but we were still worried that they'd get back from 4-1! Brings back memories of pre-match fry ups at the Apollo.

We played great sometimes, but I agree, CN didn't have too much, I'm trying to remember if I was optimistic when Branfoot came in... thought at least the defence would be sorted!

A quiet, intelligent man, but probably too cautious.

When he went, the word on the street was that we were getting Harry Redknapp from Bournemouth with Jimmy Case as player/coach.

Unfortunately, we got Branfoot and Casey was shown the door. I think that, after the first few months, the majority of fans would have welcomed CN back.

To this day I think the MLT, Rod Wallace and Alan Shearer forwardline is the most exciting thing I've ever seen at Saints, they were bloody brilliant together.

Agreed. This is summed up by the game v Charlton on New Years day 1990 at Selhurst Park - great interplay from Le Tiss and Wallace (backheel from Le Tiss was sublime). Rideout was also good for us around that time and never understood why we let him go. Did we just think we could cash in, as we had these youngsters anyway?

Our defence was always absolutely shocking under him, even in our season where we finished seventh we had the third highest goals conceded, and we were very fragile at times despite looking irresistable going forwards. Thinking back, Nicholl used to get absolute dogs abuse at the Dell, particularly when coming out for the games, he was often roundly booed. I remember being happy when he was sacked but in retrospect he actually did a decent job. And then we got Branfoot...

well yes Kraken, it's one thing to quote stats. but quite another to analyse them. CN was signed in 1977 (when he was already 31) and then racked up 268 apps. until he left in 1983.

He was (almost ever present-aside from the occasional injury) and was the only regular CB that Lawrie Mac used in this time, whilst trying to experiment with a suitable partner for Nicholl, and along the way tried to pair him up with fairly-forgettable names like; Mike Pickering, and the younger; Phillipsson-Masters, Andruszewski and Agboola but without a great deal of success, and perhaps only Malcolm Waldron came through this period with any degree of honour. During this same period, we also had a regular changing of full backs, few of whom matched Ivan Golac's service for very long.

The best seasons, both points and position-wise finishing 6th twice,...(which we won't even achieve this year) ..were the couple of seasons when he was paired with England CH Dave Watson.

YES - Chris did have a number of drops in form (as do many players) and got his share of criticism from the angry few who love booing almost anyone they take a dislike to... (now its Guly).

CN left in 1983, (aged 37).. but only after L. Mac had signed the young Mark Wright, and started to build a defence around him instead.

Looking back over more than 50 years, I'd rate Chris Nicholl amongst the best half-dozen CB's I can recall during that time.

He wasn't such a bad manager either IMHO. Following on from Lawrie Mc Menemy.. was somewhat like Moyes following Ferguson...

It was a very difficult period to start with and everyone knew he'd never be able to match Lawrie Mac's incredible management record.

IMHO think he got the shi**y end of the stick, when the Board sacked him (and with Saints only finishing 14th) .....they sold Rod Wallace to Leeds the following day for over £1 million.

With the appointment of Ian Branfoot as his successor, they surely hung their heads in shame with what followed......

Edited by david in sweden

Was at that game, my favourite as well, upper Milton, God I miss the Dell.