Hull City Away - Football Specials

spyinthesky

I suppose there are a few of us here who can remember Football Specials

The forthcoming Hull game brought back memories of joining a 'Football Special' at the now closed Dock Station in January 1966.

The steam train left about 11PM with a few hundred intrepid fans on board including a gang of 6 schoolboys all properly attired with ties, macs and clean handkerchiefs (and probably red & white rosettes) plus sandwiches and a flask of tea (which had to last all day!!)

We travelled north through the night in a compartment train and we took turns to sleep in the overhead luggage racks (v uncomfortable)

No I phones, computers, music etc etc in those days so it was a long journey but it was the first time most of us had been able to stay away all night without parents

I think we arrived into Paragon Station about 6 am and had to wander around the cold, dark and deserted streets of Hull until we managed to find somewhere warm to sit (think it might have been a Bowling Alley)

Remember being really impressed with Boothferry Park (covered accommodation all round and 6 floodlight pylons) but it was really foggy and only saw glimpses of the game in a 1-0 defeat against lower league opposition.

After a trudge back to the station the train left about 7pm and I arrived back home about 3 am and then up at 7am to do a Sunday paper round in the pouring rain. I was knackered for days.

Bit different these days

Mind you walking down the hill with thousands of others to join one of the many Football Specials at Central Station for the 1963 semi final v Man Utd in 1963 was something I shall never forget along with the convoy up to London in 1976 and for the JPT final

Not old enough to remember them back then, but here's some info about one from just last season... so they are alive and well... especially if you're a plastic Man U fan...

article-2294713-18BAB5FA000005DC-153_1024x615_large.jpg

That's ridiculous pricing seeing as you can get two singles if you book in advance from Euston to Piccadilly for 24 quid...

Went on my first one to Bristol City, FA Cup 4th rd, Feb 67 aged 8.

Even though I had been to a lot of that season's games by car with my family, this was a whole different experience. Learnt a lot of new songs, swear words and complained for weeks after that I couldn't have a leather jacket with "Ron is King" in metal studs on the back.

We lost 1-0 to a Cliff Huxford own goal and my Dad had somehow got us tickets in the home end.

My dad took me to Swindon on one back in the early 60's.

The bonus for a young 10-year old was that the team travelled on the same train.

We had to stand all the way there but we walked through the team coach and I was made up when Terry Paine said "hello nipper " to me.

Went on my first one to Bristol City, FA Cup 4th rd, Feb 67 aged 8.

Even though I had been to a lot of that season's games by car with my family, this was a whole different experience. Learnt a lot of new songs, swear words and complained for weeks after that I couldn't have a leather jacket with "Ron is King" in metal studs on the back.

We lost 1-0 to a Cliff Huxford own goal and my Dad had somehow got us tickets in the home end.

Pretty sure I went on that one too.

Seem to recollect that the train passed over a viaduct somewhere (Bath?) and there were quite a few toilet roll 'streamers, despatched from the door windows, which could be opened then. A few of these streamers were then set alight!!!

To someone who was brought up in the sticks, mixing with the 'town lads' was an education.

Actually 'mixing' is probably the wrong expression.

We learnt from them from afar but enjoyed being on the fringes of the more vocal tougher and less well behaved element.

Quite a few of the supporters on the trains worked for British Railways as they could use Travel Warrants.

Remember taking my son on the football special to FA cup 3rd round match at Leicester in 1982 during the Kevin Keegan era, trip up went well but we lost 1-3 but the return journey was awful as the "yoofs" dads decided the train was too luxurious and it would be better if they stripped all of the seats etc and threw them off,

We spent a fair bit of time enjoying the company of the BT bill taking statements from everyone just outside Reading and although I have used trains again it has never been on a "special".

I suppose there are a few of us here who can remember Football Specials

The forthcoming Hull game brought back memories of joining a 'Football Special' at the now closed Dock Station in January 1966.

The steam train left about 11PM with a few hundred intrepid fans on board including a gang of 6 schoolboys all properly attired with ties, macs and clean handkerchiefs (and probably red & white rosettes) plus sandwiches and a flask of tea (which had to last all day!!)

We travelled north through the night in a compartment train and we took turns to sleep in the overhead luggage racks (v uncomfortable)

No I phones, computers, music etc etc in those days so it was a long journey but it was the first time most of us had been able to stay away all night without parents

I think we arrived into Paragon Station about 6 am and had to wander around the cold, dark and deserted streets of Hull until we managed to find somewhere warm to sit (think it might have been a Bowling Alley)

Remember being really impressed with Boothferry Park (covered accommodation all round and 6 floodlight pylons) but it was really foggy and only saw glimpses of the game in a 1-0 defeat against lower league opposition.

After a trudge back to the station the train left about 7pm and I arrived back home about 3 am and then up at 7am to do a Sunday paper round in the pouring rain. I was knackered for days.

Bit different these days

Mind you walking down the hill with thousands of others to join one of the many Football Specials at Central Station for the 1963 semi final v Man Utd in 1963 was something I shall never forget along with the convoy up to London in 1976 and for the JPT final

Was on that train and can remember going into a bowling alley in Hull. Hey we maybe e know each other from waaay back lol.

Edited by SarniaSaint
spelling

Only ever done two specials

Was on the one to Bradford City for the FA Cup Quarter Final 1976, remember walking up the road to the ground and pssing several pubs with the windows smashed out following fights between fans before the game

Also went on one to Fa Cup match at Wimbledon at Plough Lane in 1979 for re-arranged tie in midweek, when it was so cold Saints fans lit bonefires on the Terraces keep us warm. Saints won 2-0 with two goals from Phil Boyer from memory.

I lived off Hamble Lane then and travelled with some mates from that area

Pilands Estate? I used to live in Lower Swanwick but remember going to the station with 2 guys from Pilands in one of theyre dads car or did he pick us up when we go back?

mmmm too many dead brain cells

Are your initials JB and possibly used to live in Stalybridge and occasionally joined us for a kick around on Sarisbury Green?

Also would you have got bus to school from the stop under Bursledon bridge or did you get the train to Fareham?

Seeing your post reminded me of the many happy hours spent on Sarisbury Green with about 20 or so guys playing football. Anybody could play, just added on to one or other of the sides. Great days. Cricket was good as well, especially when Hampshire used to play in a yearly evening fixture. Roy Marshall used to regularly break windows hitting sixes. Wouldn't be allowed today I guess with H & S.

Are your initials JB and possibly used to live in Stalybridge and occasionally joined us for a kick around on Sarisbury Green?

Also would you have got bus to school from the stop under Bursledon bridge or did you get the train to Fareham?

Yes you must be RF.My mum was from Stalybridge I never lived there. Used to get on the bus at the Red Lion.

Remember those kick arounds on the Green on a Sunday.

Hey gonna send you PM. I haven't set foot in the UK for 37 years but still a Saint.