Adkins to Saints?

conaero

Hypothetical question really, if the unthinkable were to happen and MP left, would you be willing to take NA back or should that all be committed to history?

Me, not sure, think the club should move forward I suppose but he should never be forgotten.

No. Nigel was brilliant, the greatest years i've had as a supporter. Crowd were fantastic, we all really felt together as one.

What we need to become to push on and are already in the process of becoming very fast has to be a different beast. The reactionary plastics who came flooding back last season, the brutality of the sackings/appointments, the media frenzies, the tactical nous of 'some' of the worlds best managers. Managing large egos in expensive players. Representing the face of the countries most successful British academy of football.

Unfortunately I feel Nige would still struggle with these now and more so than other managers available.given time he would learn it and get better but our ambition and speed of success outgrew him last year. Forwards not back.

No. Did a great job for us and did what was needed to get us back in the top flight, but don't think he could have pushed us on like MP has or even kept us in the prem. Would probably sour our love for NA if he were to come back and fail.

If MP were to go, it would leave a huge hole that may make the players consider their futures. Appointing the likes of Adkins may encourage the likes of Lallana, Morgan, Rickie and the rest of those that played under him before to stick around.

I do think we should look to the future though, but it depends on what managers are available if Poch were to go. If we're left with a choice of Hughes, Allardyce or Redknapp for example, I'd take Adkins back in a heartbeat. I do expect there to be better options available though.

I really hope Pochettino sticks around and completes the job, but I do think he'll be sought after by "bigger" clubs in the summer.

I would have him back if Poch left.

Who couldn't be more than happy with the progress we made under Adkins and who's to say that progress wouldn't have continued, maybe with not AS much success as Poch but nevertheless. Very impressed with Pochettino but in many ways I think he carried on much of the good things that Adkins started regards fitness and pressing. Has done wonders defensively though.

Depends on what the level of investment was and what the ambition of the club was. If we're going to have the level of finance of a Norwich, wba or Fulham , id rather have Nigel than some of the chumps who get linked with every premiership vacancy. If Pardew can do ok at Newcastle , then nigel could do ok . Personally, if the money went I'd have a look at Eddie Howe, or someone of that ilk, but I wouldn't be unhappy with nigel.

sure I would take him back, he has unfinished business with his team, he seemed like a smart guy, if he could incorporate the pressing style of Poch into his managerial/coaching bag then why not. His tactical changes during our run up the leagues was impressive, seemed to understand formation changes to counteract the other team during games. He was great with the sport science and a very positive influence on players and Club. Now this would only make sense if we can rely on our youth and buying from the English market. He is not a big enough name in world football (not even an ex player of any stature, like Poch-ex international Argentinian defender) that would encourage world class players to come here. SFC itself is not a big enough club to entice the best players on reputation alone. But whom ever it would be if Poch leaves, I would hope they keep our intense, team pressing style, I am addicted to it, I enjoy seeing those big team premadonnas squirm because they are getting no respect and time on the ball, and have to work extra hard to match our intensity, no free ride when ya play us!!

Interesting. My initial answer would be No, but I heard him spek the other day about defensive zones & I think he has learnt from what the Spanish teams (& MP at Saints) has done & has Reading trying to play like we do more than he had us playing like MP's team does now.

That to me says that he is prepared to learn. A great quality IMHO.

Anyway - if MP goes I would go & get Laudrup...............................

sure I would take him back, he has unfinished business with his team, he seemed like a smart guy, if he could incorporate the pressing style of Poch into his managerial/coaching bag then why not. His tactical changes during our run up the leagues was impressive, seemed to understand formation changes to counteract the other team during games. He was great with the sport science and a very positive influence on players and Club. Now this would only make sense if we can rely on our youth and buying from the English market. He is not a big enough name in world football (not even an ex player of any stature, like Poch-ex international Argentinian defender) that would encourage world class players to come here. SFC itself is not a big enough club to entice the best players on reputation alone. But whom ever it would be if Poch leaves, I would hope they keep our intense, team pressing style, I am addicted to it, I enjoy seeing those big team premadonnas squirm because they are getting no respect and time on the ball, and have to work extra hard to match our intensity, no free ride when ya play us!!

I think it hurt Nigel the most to play us with Reading last season, and to see what MoPo did with his team, and how much more effective they were.

People mistake Nigel's colloquial talk as a sign that he lacks the tactical ability to succeed at this level. When in truth he had a similar record to MoPo once he had settled into the premier league, and before all the new transfers.

It also appears as though the transfer comittee signed Wanayama, lovren and ramirez. Osvaldo was the only signing to be attributed to MoPo :mcinnes: So in summary, I think Nigel would have had the same team to work with, plus 15m better spent on another player. was he as good tactically as MoPo is now, perhaps not, But would he be a different manager if he came back to saints, 100% yes, he would have changed and would have improved!

I doubt the two managers would have that different a points total this season with these teams.... And we would have had a hell of a lot less injuries under Adkins.

So, if MoPo left, I'd take Nigel back for sure. The bloke has unfinished business, he will do it in the prem with a team sometime soon and I'd rather he did it at saints. The bloke loves us, and we love him. So why the hell not!

Personally I would say no. As much as I was devastated when he left, I just don't he would suit the teams playing style anymore. He is my favourite manager in my lifetime at Saints, I enjoyed his sayings, his interviews and unity that he was instrumental in. I honestly can't wait for him to come back to SMS so we can give him the send-off and appreciation he deserved when he left.

I loved Nigel here BUT the Prem for me was half a step too far for him - I'll give an example by looking at Fulham away.

Last year we played Fulham on Boxing Day - we tried a formation we hadn't tried before - no-one knew what they were doing for 20 minutes and we went one down - luckily Fulham were so sh1te they couldnt do anymore. We then took over and many could see we need 2 up front we were dominating but Lambert was outnumbered

we bought on Rodriguez with about 8 mins left and we got an equaliser courtesy of Baird taking pity on his old side ;-).

Fulham this year - we were struggling and not doing what we should have - at half-time he brings on Cork - changes Lambert/Rodriguez formation and we win comfortably by good tactics. Thats the difference for me.

Takes off Lambert/Lallana v Man Utd then does the same 2 weeks later - sorry think we would take a step backwards - I will always look out for him and his sides and wish him well for what he did for us.

Adkins does have something to offer the EPL, but he had reached his upper-limit with us in the mid-table positions. He doesn't have enough about him to take a team beyond that.

MP came in and got more out of the same group of players and has taken us onto the next level. In recent times, without the three key signings we've made since Adkins, he's still shown we're a better team than we were under Adkins.

Saying that takes nothing away from my respect for Adkins and how mad I was when he was sacked. In hindsight, it was the right decision and has been an utter success.

No

Thanks for what he done for us, which some may argue was his job and he should of done it. I'm sure he is passionate about reading as he was about saints, we are fans we get emotionally attached.

We are a bigger club than him now.