Championship players HCDAJFU

Batman

I don't think any could step up and do a job at Prem level yet, but Will Hughes will likely be a very good player in the Prem in a few years.

ours did alright

morgan, fonte, clyne, lambert, lallana and rodriguez all did well enough in their first season?

Bamford, will score goals at any level. Chelsea have snapped him up, but let's be honest, he'll never play for them as their youth set-up is a non-event.

Also like Hughes, but not really a player we need. Not sure where I'd play him in our side. GK McCarthy is a good player, but he dropped a clanger yesterday. Still got a lot to learn and I think we'll go for someone more experienced and proven in goal. We had our fingers burnt with Gazzaniga, so doubt we'll do that again.

Julio Caesar ;) He would be a good option to have and would offer competition to Boruc... But it won't happen.

Benoit Assou Ekotto would be a great back up to Shaw IMO... But again, it won't happen...

The only player I'd consider is Danny Ings (who is a Saints fan too I think :) ), but even then he might not make it in the Prem.

Julio Caesar ;) He would be a good option to have and would offer competition to Boruc... But it won't happen.

Benoit Assou Ekotto would be a great back up to Shaw IMO... But again, it won't happen...

The only player I'd consider is Danny Ings (who is a Saints fan too I think :) ), but even then he might not make it in the Prem.

I think Ekotto is pretty average tbh. Would prefer we put our efforts into training up Targett so he becomes the backup.

A familiar name to us, Michael Antonio, he is going to be class, a top premier league player.

He'll be even better in the Premier League as he'll get far more time and space on the ball than he does currently in the Championship.

Based on? I haven't seen much of him. Seen plenty score loads of goals in lower league and be rubbish in the top flight though.

Is his touch good enough? His passing and technique?

With Lambert you could watch him each week and feel confident he'd have the ability and attitude for the top flight. That's pretty rare though. Goal tally alone isn't enough IMO.

yes it is. seen plenty of him. good all rounder

Went to the Brum vs Derby game the other day and a couple of Derby players stood out,Bamford,Hughes and the Left Back Forsythe,the only one that looked like he could make the grade was Hughes,he did look a bit lightweight but he was a very composed midfielder with quick feet.Derby will sell him soon but I would imagine they want a kings ransom for him

Went to the Brum vs Derby game the other day and a couple of Derby players stood out,Bamford,Hughes and the Left Back Forsythe,the only one that looked like he could make the grade was Hughes,he did look a bit lightweight but he was a very composed midfielder with quick feet.Derby will sell him soon but I would imagine they want a kings ransom for him

£8M-10M I think.

Whoever said Alex McCarthy needs their head looked at, average Championship keeper at best. Had 1 good game in the PL but that's as far as it goes.

I still think Charlie Austin will be a decent (not world-beating) PL striker (about 12-16 league goals)

Morgan and Drinkwater from Leicester look to be fairly decent, and Will Hughes of Derby looks like a top player.

Also heard the fat striker for Donny is capable of doing a job in the PL ;)

Whoever said Alex McCarthy needs their head looked at, average Championship keeper at best. Had 1 good game in the PL but that's as far as it goes.

I still think Charlie Austin will be a decent (not world-beating) PL striker (about 12-16 league goals)

Morgan and Drinkwater from Leicester look to be fairly decent, and Will Hughes of Derby looks like a top player.

Also heard the fat striker for Donny is capable of doing a job in the PL ;)

The one that was sent off this weekend for a bit of a tussle? Hmmm.

Unless he blows the the league away (after his suspension), we are well rid in the summer.

There's a young centre back at Sheffield United (OK, League One, not Championship. Meh) that's been getting rave reviews, Harry Maguire. Apparently Man U had the scouts looking at him last year. He's been a first choice centre back for them for a couple of years now, and he's only 20. 6'4'' too, definite potential. He's Sheffield born and bred but with United where they are, surely it wouldn't be THAT difficult to get him to leave...

There's a young centre back at Sheffield United (OK, League One, not Championship. Meh) that's been getting rave reviews, Harry Maguire. Apparently Man U had the scouts looking at him last year. He's been a first choice centre back for them for a couple of years now, and he's only 20. 6'4'' too, definite potential. He's Sheffield born and bred but with United where they are, surely it wouldn't be THAT difficult to get him to leave...

Aye - 'appen as not as like as maybe, I'll tell theh.

I'd argue 0 if we actually want to push forward and get in the Champs League some time in the next 3/4/5/6 years.

Tottenham signed Gareth Bale from a Championship club and Arsenal signed Walcott and Chamberlain from a Championship club, to make a sweeping statement that no Championship player will be good enough is daft.

Lallana, Cork, Lambert, Schneiderlin, Clyne, Rodriguez etc all made the step up well.

Edited by Matthew Le God

quite like that young centre back that plays for fulham. He'll be championship next season.

Dan Burn does look good...although a few rough edges..

As expected 6'7" good in the air.....looked mobile and got stuck in when required..

Only 21 and has had various loans..Birmingham for example. Would cost money as other teams interested..

My question would be....Poch would have to decide IF Turnbull /Stephens 19/20 years will progress this/next season ..As good as someone like Burn?

OR even

Debayo/McCarthy..17/18 years following season if not before..........

Over to you coach:D

Poch would be good for Dan Burn as well as our own crop..........like all young centre halfs.......positioning / strength etc

Edited by ottery st mary

I'd argue 0 if we actually want to push forward and get in the Champs League some time in the next 3/4/5/6 years.

I wouldn't suggest a policy of only buying from that level, but there is no reason why we shouldn't look at the gems coming through, especially young talent. The Chelsea/Man City way of squad building is fine if you have the cash, but the likes of Arsenal, Everton and Spurs have all bought young players from the second tier (or below) to complement International signings. I doubt there is a manager in the Prem league that doesn't wish they had signed Bale when they had the chance.

The thing is, how would people feel about a signing from (e.g.) the Dutch Eredivisie or the Danish Superliga? They're the top divisions in their respective countries, but is the overall standard actually much different from the Championship? Maybe their Champions League representatives are playing at a higher level, but what about the rest of the league?

It just seems to me that fans are ready to place more faith in a foreign signing from a 'top' division than we would in a Championship signing, but the standard of league is arguably similar.

The thing is, how would people feel about a signing from (e.g.) the Dutch Eredivisie or the Danish Superliga? They're the top divisions in their respective countries, but is the overall standard actually much different from the Championship? Maybe their Champions League representatives are playing at a higher level, but what about the rest of the league?

It just seems to me that fans are ready to place more faith in a foreign signing from a 'top' division than we would in a Championship signing, but the standard of league is arguably similar.

Have you not seen the reaction players linked get on here?

"I don't want us to sign no Carlos Kickball" etc. If anything, I think people (on here at least) would be more open to Championship signings than foreign imports.

Have you not seen the reaction players linked get on here?

"I don't want us to sign no Carlos Kickball" etc. If anything, I think people (on here at least) would be more open to Championship signings than foreign imports.

I'm not making a case either way, you can bring in excellent imports (Lovren for one), but in recent history our championship signings ( Clyne and Rodriguez), have perhaps adapted better than our more glamorous imports from Serie A. So possibly the reluctance to "Carlos Kickball" from some is understandable.

It may be that the clubs obsession with Serie A has diminished in the light of these experiences, and NC's departure.

Plenty would, I agree. But I also think plenty have a more short-sighted view & would rather see us linked with players from (e.g.) Brondby or FC Utrecht because of a perception that they are playing at a higher level than the Championship and not having to make such a step up.

Plenty would, I agree. But I also think plenty have a more short-sighted view & would rather see us linked with players from (e.g.) Brondby or FC Utrecht because of a perception that they are playing at a higher level than the Championship and not having to make such a step up.

If the players here for example are Danish or Dutch u21's or on the fringe of the national squads then I'd expect them to be worth a look.

Last summer, and possibly last Jan, we were linked with a Danish lad playing in Italy ( CB at c£6m or so). Wouldn't the clever thing to be to try bringing him I from Denmark as a fraction of that cost ?

(no doubt have Steve De Ridder thrown back at me.).

If the players here for example are Danish or Dutch u21's or on the fringe of the national squads then I'd expect them to be worth a look.

Last summer, and possibly last Jan, we were linked with a Danish lad playing in Italy ( CB at c£6m or so). Wouldn't the clever thing to be to try bringing him I from Denmark as a fraction of that cost ?

Sorry for any confusion mate, my previous post was in response to KRG (the post before yours)

In terms of what you say about U21's - yes absolutely - and there's most probably bags of talent besides in those leagues worth scouting, just as there is in the Championship.

I think, perhaps we are both guilty of generalising a little bit ;)

On the OP - would love Hughes from Derby. Argument that it isn't exactly what we need may be valid, but having lots of good players in a given position is never a bad thing. Better that than having too few, I fear.

I think, perhaps we are both guilty of generalising a little bit ;)

On the OP - would love Hughes from Derby. Argument that it isn't exactly what we need may be valid, but having lots of good players in a given position is never a bad thing. Better that than having too few, I fear.

Perhaps we can start by hoarding a few of the best young keepers coming through and then loaning them out to ensure they keep improving. Any stand out young player in the championship like bale or chamberlain,dare I say it ince should be on our radar. In fact Ince is the perfect example. I wonder if we bid for him.