Championship players HCDAJFU

Batman

I'm not making a case either way, you can bring in excellent imports (Lovren for one), but in recent history our championship signings ( Clyne and Rodriguez), have perhaps adapted better than our more glamorous imports from Serie A. So possibly the reluctance to "Carlos Kickball" from some is understandable.

It may be that the clubs obsession with Serie A has diminished in the light of these experiences, and NC's departure.

Has anyone got a youtube video for Carlos Kickball? If he's a Colombian international, he must be good.

Sidwell from Fulham when they do down

Why on earth would Saints want to buy a 31 year old central midfielder like Steve Sidwell in the summer?

We already have Schneiderlin, Ward-Prowse, Cork, Wanyama, Reed, Davis and even Ramirez to play in central midfield. Apart from Davis, they are all 24 or under and have promising futures. The same can't be said of Sidwell.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I'd take Forestieri from Watford. Looks clever, and with a goal threat, and would fit in our system behind a striker.

Would only cost a few million as well.

He's also Argentinian, 24 years old, has played in Italy and started his career at Newell's Old Boys (all sounds familiar)

I think he fits the bill.

I'd take Forestieri from Watford. Looks clever, and with a goal threat, and would fit in our system behind a striker.

Would only cost a few million as well.

He's also Argentinian, 24 years old, has played in Italy and started his career at Newell's Old Boys (all sounds familiar)

I think he fits the bill.

NO MORE CARLOS KICKBALLS!!! :hunt::hunt::hunt:

....Being serious though. I went to watch Watford a fair few times last season (live close and have friends that go regularly) and he stood out as one of their better players - alongside Deeney (wouldn't advocate signing him) and Vydra.

I'm unsure on him myself. Can be great, on occasions everything would go through him, and he can be everywhere. Other times you can totally forget he is on the pitch. I guess there is an element of this being part and parcel of what to expect from that type of player (creative AM). His decision making at times is not great, and he is also tiny.

Basically, I'm not convinced he will end up being a player worthy of a place in a top 10 side. Just my opinion based on the few times I watched him last season - though I have been wrong, and could easily be wrong on this one too.

NO MORE CARLOS KICKBALLS!!! :hunt::hunt::hunt:

....Being serious though. I went to watch Watford a fair few times last season (live close and have friends that go regularly) and he stood out as one of their better players - alongside Deeney (wouldn't advocate signing him) and Vydra.

I'm unsure on him myself. Can be great, on occasions everything would go through him, and he can be everywhere. Other times you can totally forget he is on the pitch. I guess there is an element of this being part and parcel of what to expect from that type of player (creative AM). His decision making at times is not great, and he is also tiny.

Basically, I'm not convinced he will end up being a player worthy of a place in a top 10 side. Just my opinion based on the few times I watched him last season - though I have been wrong, and could easily be wrong on this one too.

If you use Vydra as a yardstick anyone of his level would probably be worse than useless in the PL. the gulf is vast, few seem to realise that.

• 3 months later...

Aye. I was aware of interest before but this is the first time I have heard it (today) from someone 'at' Leeds (my mate is just a supporter who likes to stick his nose in and tends to know a fair bit. Not always guaranteed, but hey).

Wise, even if we are just keeping tabs.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• 5 years later...
There's a young centre back at Sheffield United (OK, League One, not Championship. Meh) that's been getting rave reviews, Harry Maguire. Apparently Man U had the scouts looking at him last year. He's been a first choice centre back for them for a couple of years now, and he's only 20. 6'4'' too, definite potential. He's Sheffield born and bred but with United where they are, surely it wouldn't be THAT difficult to get him to leave...

;).

Whoever said Alex McCarthy needs their head looked at, average Championship keeper at best. Had 1 good game in the PL but that's as far as it goes.

I still think Charlie Austin will be a decent (not world-beating) PL striker (about 12-16 league goals)

Morgan and Drinkwater from Leicester look to be fairly decent, and Will Hughes of Derby looks like a top player.

Also heard the fat striker for Donny is capable of doing a job in the PL ;)

This also...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

;).

:) It just goes to show that there is good talent in the lower leagues if you’re willing to take a chance on it. Leicester and Liverpool both raided Hull for Maguire and Robertson, whom they had picked up the players from lesser leagues themselves, and they’re now regarded as two of the best players in the world.

It’s why I think signing Bowen from Hull now would be a no brainer, 22, left footed right winger, looked impressive on the odd occasion I’ve seen him, has a decent goal scoring record and even for £20 million, if he’s successful (and the analysis in the link below says he’s Premier League quality) you’ll get far more money back if he’s sold. It’s just a shame it appears we can’t afford him/have too many players right now.

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/jarrod-bowen-player-analysis-hull-city-statistics

:) It just goes to show that there is good talent in the lower leagues if you’re willing to take a chance on it. Leicester and Liverpool both raided Hull for Maguire and Robertson, whom they had picked up the players from lesser leagues themselves, and they’re now regarded as two of the best players in the world.

It’s why I think signing Bowen from Hull now would be a no brainer, 22, left footed right winger, looked impressive on the odd occasion I’ve seen him, has a decent goal scoring record and even for £20 million, if he’s successful (and the analysis in the link below says he’s Premier League quality) you’ll get far more money back if he’s sold. It’s just a shame it appears we can’t afford him/have too many players right now.

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/jarrod-bowen-player-analysis-hull-city-statistics

Signing championship players has always been a good idea. Clyne & J-Rod were 2 great examples of this for us.

I bet Bowen was on our list, but just not high up the priority list anymore.

Signing championship players has always been a good idea. Clyne & J-Rod were 2 great examples of this for us.

I bet Bowen was on our list, but just not high up the priority list anymore.

I think teams are wising up to the fact that players that do well in the championship often make the grade in the PL (Maddison being another recent example). The problem is prices are also catching up, meaning that there is far less value to be found in the championship.