Playstation 3 games

norwaysaint

I'm a good step behind here. Haven't really been playing video games in years. In fact San Andreas on the ps2 was probably the last game I was really into. This means that I have no need for a fancy ps4, when I've still got the last ten years of games to look forward to.

i've picked up a cheap ps3 bundled with The Last of Us and GT6, but what other games from the last few years are the essentials that are worth picking up? I have no idea, but it doesn't need to be the latest releases, although I may get GTA 5 sooner or later.

thanks

The Uncharted trilogy is a must. Number 2 in particular.

infamous 1 & 2 are good fun.

You've mentioned GTA V, definitely give Red Dead Redemption a go too.

Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are top drawer.

Fallout 3 is good too, I still go back to it now after these few years.

Can vouch for Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, both excellent games, as are the 2 Batman games previously mentioned. Not played Origins yet.

Dead Space 1 & 2 are also great fun, not played 3 yet.

Red Dead Revolver is also worth picking up and the best driving games I've played are Burnout Paradise and Grid 2.

If you like story based games then The Walking Dead (from Telltale games) is good, as is Heavy Rain, a different gaming experience.

I've got Skyrim but not yet played it as I tried it to make sure it was working and ended up playing on it for about 4-5 hours by mistake. Have left that for now while I complete some of my other games before going back to it, though with GTAV also on stand-by I'm not sure when I'll get to go back to it.

How could I forget Dead Island (the first one) if you like Zombie games, Resident Evil 5 and Bioshock 1 & 2? All very good games that have eaten up the hours over the last couple of years. Not played Bioshock Inifinate yet, but hope it is just as good as the first 2.

Some favs of mine:-

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Flower (on Vita and PS4 too)

Journey

Fallout 3

Diablo 3

Mortal Kombat (superb multiplayer one-up-man-ship,)

Valkyria Chronicles

Everybody's Golf : World Tour

Tekken Tag Tournament 2

All the Uncharted games

All the inFamous games

Playstation All-Star Battle Royale (Smash Brothers with Sony & 3rd party properties)

Thanks for all that. I took the advice and got playstation plus, which seems an amazing deal, probably more free games there than I'll ever get time to play. I downloaded bio shock infinite, uncharted 3 and xcom for free, but there are a couple of others too.

Give xcom some time. Turn-based tactics with lots of levelling up. No reflexes required.

Chase HQ and Robocop with the Datel Speech synthesizer attached to your Amstrad CPC464. That's real gaming pleasure!

Have to admit to really enjoying Fifa 2014 in career mode on the PS3. Ate up so many hours yesterday, though peeved that MoPo loaned me out to MK Dons straight away.

Spent a bit of time on The Last of Us, pretty good, but I'm not gripped by it yet. I got a bit more into Bioshock, which moves a bit faster. However it's Xcom that has really got me hooked at the moment, always trying to get in just one last mission.

First person shooters really seem to dominate what I've seen for this platform so far.

It's a nice way to watch Netflix too.

• 1 month later...
Xcom is great. The iPad port isn't bad either. Try not to get too attached to your team. They can all get wiped in a mission.

Nice progress and the last few upgrades are sweet. Still very tense moving about one of the ships.

I have to agree that that is easily the best game I've seen on the ipad. Most ipad games are a bit rubbish and just for passing a couple of brainless minutes, but with xcom you actually get the entire game exactly the same as the PS3, quite shocking. I never even played it again on the PS3 again after I got it on the ipad.

I've found it surprising how little you ever need to spend to have a pretty big game selection now. I got Last of Us free with the PS3 and have now finished that and loved it. I also finished Uncharted 3 from Playstation plus, thought it was basically Tomb Raider updated. Speaking of which I also got Tomb Raider, but haven't got into it yet. Now I see they've put PES 2014 out on PSplus. Add to that I was in the library with my kids and ended up loaning the Arkham games. Loads more on PSplus too, my outlay on games is still only about a tenner. Pretty good value, better than ever in fact.

• 1 month later...

Playing the first Mass Effect game currently. A little buggy at times but over 30hrs of gameplay so far says it all really. An astounding game that I cannot recommend enough. Glad I picked up all 3 for a bargain price over PSN.

Playing the first Mass Effect game currently. A little buggy at times but over 30hrs of gameplay so far says it all really. An astounding game that I cannot recommend enough. Glad I picked up all 3 for a bargain price over PSN.

I picked that up cheap too. I like it but I'm taking a break from it. I do seem to be a bit addicted to payday 2 though. One of those games where you suddenly discover 2 or 3 hours have strangely disappeared. It only works to play it co-op though.