Sunderland 1 Saints 0 Match Reaction

Glasgow_Saint

I would hope, now that Cortese has gone, we may start to see the Cups as an opportunity rather than as a way of using squad players.

Terrible performance, but we did the same under NA, so it's not just down to Poch.

Someone should send the Leibhiers a DVD of 1976.

Why all the criticism of Pochettino? He put out a team that should have had enough to win today. If he didn't want to win the game - why bring on J-rod and Morgan when he did?

The players weren't at the races. Half a yard short both physically and mentally today. Either they weren't bothered, or they thought they would win comfortably and never got out of third gear.

Disappointing, frustrating even, but don't think the blame lies with MP.

Jesus said we picked the strongest available team and are 'a little bit sad' to have lost. Unbelievable.

Meaning that the missing elements weren't available then; Makes sense Morgan,Jay and Jack looked dead beat at the end on Tuesday and Jose's leg looks wicked. Just leaves that old f@rt of a keeper, there there something not quite right.

...... very disappointed.

No one really looked interested and our passing game simply was non existent.

Nice goal to win it - We had chances to score, most notably Lambert but it just was an average performance by all

Sigh... Hope we see a increased performance for the remainder of the season

Anyone who fancies a crack at the Europa Cup must be out of their minds if that's an insight into our squad depth.

But perhaps that's why Pochettino didn't even want to risk qualifying for it via the FA Cup.

Don't buy this at all. Win the cup and put out a youth team in the first round of the Europa cup if the club is that worried about effect on league form.

This makes the FA cup a complete farce…..I am so p!ssed off with the team selection and the way they played….monkey chop’s has put one up MoPo again!!!!

Monkey boy must laughing is red arse off….

And how arrogant of MoPo not to want to talk to the press or cameras because it’s an FA cup game WTF…..

Sunderland will probably get a lower league team in the next round,I bet you...

Forum meltdown begins...

Look on the brightside lads, we could be playing Wimbledon right now amd we could finish above Man U. It has beem a successful season regardless of todays defeat...

Credit to Sunderland. Think we are getting ahead of ourselves a bit.

Do agree regarding starting 11. Would have expected our best team out on this game. Think this was as much about the selection as the performance. Dont like Poyet as a manager so it irks me greatly to say well done Sunderland you deserved to win today.

Clear rubbish and almost all the players had an off day. Obvious MP was not that interested and ultimately the team paid the price for that. I'm genuinely gutted for the fans who travelled.

The FA cup is not what it was for todays PL clubs. Things change, it's inevitable and only because of that, I'm not particularly annoyed at MP. He's just delivering in the world in which he's measured.

Get behind the 7th place push FFS...............it's going to be special!!!!

Why all the criticism of Pochettino? He put out a team that should have had enough to win today. If he didn't want to win the game - why bring on J-rod and Morgan when he did?

The players weren't at the races. Half a yard short both physically and mentally today. Either they weren't bothered, or they thought they would win comfortably and never got out of third gear.

Disappointing, frustrating even, but don't think the blame lies with MP.

Of course it does - well, much of it.

You can't take at least three key components out of a pressing side and expect it to perform - especially if Guly is one of the replacements. All of the intensity disappears just when you need it.

I was sure he'd make the same two changes (Rodriguez and Schneiderlin on) at half time so they could set the pattern - not past 60 minutes. But taking Lallana off - who can change a game in a second - was madness.

Disgusting from the club. Players were not interested and clearly neither was the manager.

Taking Lallanna off with 15 minutes to go and we needed a goal summed it up. Did his replacement touch the ball??

This could have been our year for the Cup. I am a happy clapper ..... but definitely not today.

On the bright side, we have two less major injuries than the last time we played there.

I've seen more effort in a friendly match 3 weeks before the start of the season. I'm pretty sure it was a managerial decision, not just the selection, but the effort. "Light training today, lads. Anyone gets hurt will be docked wages." Not whinging, myself. I wish it was a different attitude, but its not. Trying to be charitable, I wonder if the physio is looking at high fatigue levels in the team.

Don't understand the criticism of Clyne. I thought he looked like our most dangerous attacking option.

Feel very bad for anyone that traveled up for it, though.

Shameful and Diabolical and not the Southampton way. :(

One person and one person only responsible for this shameful result..... Maurico POCHETTINO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crystal clear he'll be off in May or he'd be ensuring we were up there for next season and chance in Europe. Bet he can't wait to be off for a break next round of the Cup.

Clear rubbish and almost all the players had an off day. Obvious MP was not that interested and ultimately the team paid the price for that. I'm genuinely gutted for the fans who travelled.

The FA cup is not what it was for todays PL clubs. Things change, it's inevitable and only because of that, I'm not particularly annoyed at MP. He's just delivering in the world in which he's measured.

Get behind the 7th place push FFS...............it's going to be special!!!!

That's the spirit. Nice to see a positive post. We can concentrate on the league now.

Anyone who fancies a crack at the Europa Cup must be out of their minds if that's an insight into our squad depth.

But perhaps that's why Pochettino didn't even want to risk qualifying for it via the FA Cup.

Agree totally with this. Will today's wrist-slitters be happy if we end up towards the bottom of the league next season because our players (like Swansea and others) are too ****ed from playing meaningless games against tin pot teams in the far flung corners of Europe? Add to that the endless Thursday and Sunday games????....no thanks.

MoPo didn't even move off the bench today, looked totally disinterested. He's normally kicking every ball, really involved. Feel really sorry for Adam. MoPo sent out all the wrong messages today; we could easily have got this won in the first half, then rest a few players. Totally illogical - if you can't have a good cup run in our position, when can you? I'm fuming. Grrrrrrrrrrr............

If MP is here next season and we do sneak into the EL via 7th place, I dread to think who he'd send out for those games given it's the only competition he has rubbished in public.

Really disappointed by potchettino's team selection. We lost up there playing a weakened team in the cup, drew with the first team and yet he for some reason made the decision to go with a weakened team again. There's no game midweek so why? Overall the better team won, sad really as Sunderland aren't anything special and I think our first xi is much better. Maybe it's because I value the fa cup that I find treating it in the same way as the league cup disgraceful. Back to the league and try and catch Man U I guess.

One person and one person only responsible for this shameful result..... Maurico POCHETTINO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crystal clear he'll be off in May or he'd be ensuring we were up there for next season and chance in Europe. Bet he can't wait to be off for a break next round of the Cup.

I would love to respond to this but can only laugh out loud

I actually can't believe what I've just witnessed. Poyet virtually admitted he wanted to lose it FFS yet we decide to 'play him at his own game' and match his weakened side. Sunderland had a reason not to want to progress in this competition, we fecking didn't.

Of course it does - well, much of it.

You can't take at least three key components out of a pressing side and expect it to perform - especially if Guly is one of the replacements. All of the intensity disappears just when you need it.

I was sure he'd make the same two changes (Rodriguez and Schneiderlin on) at half time so they could set the pattern - not past 60 minutes. But taking Lallana off - who can change a game in a second - was madness.

Not really, Adam looked dead beat after 20' and didn't look himself at all, mind you with Lambert and Guly doing absolutely nothing he was ploughing a lone furrow. We had a toughy on Tuesday after a toughy last Saturday, we just don't have the players necessary to handle 3 toughies with long voyages between 2 of them, that's what I've been telling you all most of the week. the chairwoman needs to sort it out as Cortese would have done. It's no use having a bean counter and a rank amateur running a PL football club.

Maybe a generational thing but I'd rather finish above United in the league than get to the cup final.

yes in years to come what would fans talk about the year we finished above united or the year we won the FA cup. TBH winning the JPT means more to me than finishing above united.

Edited by doddisalegend

Agree totally with this. Will today's wrist-slitters be happy if we end up towards the bottom of the league next season because our players (like Swansea and others) are too ****ed from playing meaningless games against tin pot teams in the far flung corners of Europe? Add to that the endless Thursday and Sunday games????....no thanks.

What the hell is the point of being a professional football club if you're not interested in entering competitions and winning matches? You might as well be playing in the Conference.

you dont want him at the club and so why do you worry. This will make it easier for him to walk now

It's not generational. It's incomprehensible.

It's seriously, seriously mental to think like that.

The chance was there to take the cup seriously and get maybe only our second serious piece of silverware. With the players and management going down in history.

But no, 8th in the fu.cking league is more of a priority. What a fu.cking shower of ****. Livid doesn't cover how i'm feeling right now.

Not all Poch's fault. Not at all.

Not all, but he is responsible for the team selection and must take his share of the blame for their performance as well. Whilst I understand the need to rotate when we make the players train so hard and run so much in the game, I don't understand how we can play Sat-Tues with the same team but then the next Saturday we make 6 changes. For me, if the FA Cup isn't a priority we should never have talked about trying to win it over the last week.

Get knocked out early on, I think we have seen in the League Cup that the manager is capable of selecting his "best team" to lose.

Perhaps if we are in danger of a Europa League place by our league results he'll start throwing matches to avoid it.

I really thought MP might see this as a chance of 'real' success, not a bit of 'window dressing' by finishing 7-8th etc. Disappointed in him. I could understand it if we were in the bottom five or so, but Christ on a bike !!!