Sunderland 1 Saints 0 Match Reaction

Glasgow_Saint

It isn't the fact we lost that's annoying, it's the fact we didn't give ourselves the best possible chance of winning and feels like we have thrown away our best chance of wembley in over 10 years.

Also the club has made a statement with it's team selection that it no longer seems to have the unlimited ambition of our late chairman.

When push comes to shove, the team that played wasn't a bad team when the majority are playing well, the issue was that the majority didn't play well and an awful game was settled by an amazing finish. If we had started with Jay Rod, Cork and Morgan maybe things would've been different but they may all have played **** as well. No one looked like they actually wanted to be there and I don't think the manager can be blamed for that.

Amazing. I would have said 180deg opposite.

The players are grown men who should be able to motivate themselves (I assume that is what the huddle is about) I just saw it as too many players below par on the day and seemed to lack energy. It was one of the most lethargic performances I can remember in a long time we weren't smashed by Sunderland but seemed to be doing just enough. I was ****ed off with team more than the manager and apart from the McQueen for Lallana change he made the right subs!

The players are grown men who should be able to motivate themselves (I assume that is what the huddle is about) I just saw it as too many players below par on the day and seemed to lack energy. It was one of the most lethargic performances I can remember in a long time we weren't smashed by Sunderland but seemed to be doing just enough. I was ****ed off with team more than the manager and apart from the McQueen for Lallana change he made the right subs!

That is a manager's job. It's how Ferguson made the current Man United team champions last year. And a team won't always be at it from the first whistle - remember when United were 3-0 down at half time at White Hart Lane a few years ago and then came out in the second half and scored five? I am fairly confident the manager had something to do with that, as he did on countless other occasions over the years. Having said that, Pochettino has to take a large portion of the blame for the first-half display as, by fielding the side he did, he sent out the message that he didn't value the outcome of the game.

As I have just noticed something I've never noticed before I thought I might share it with you on this thread.If we had drawn with Sunderland the replay would have to be Monday next, ie 2 days after our game at West Ham because apparently UEFA has a fairly long standing ban on any National games being played on days when there are CL matches. Now I can see why no-one wanted a replay. Once we went behind it was 2 goals or bust in all reality.

I don't agree with that, as Pochettino and Adkins were both naming significantly weakened sides in both tournaments while Cortese was here.

Well Jesus said it was the best team available didn't he ? So those who doubt that should take it up with him. I've no idea why he said that if it was manifestly not correct, only he knows that.I do notice a tendancy developing here though, every time a member of the club staff makes a statement it is rarely taken as gospel, there are always those who are inclined to say the opposite so perhaps we should be worried that club officials are continually making erroneous statements to the fans.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Well Jesus said it was the best team available didn't he ? So those who doubt that should take it up with him. I've no idea why he said that if it was manifestly not correct, only he knows that.

It probably was correct. The question is really about whether the weakened side should have been put out for Hull and players kept fresh for Sunderland. You can argue it both ways.

It probably was correct. The question is really about whether the weakened side should have been put out for Hull and players kept fresh for Sunderland. You can argue it both ways.

I can accept that as long as everyone else can, for me it was always one or the other but not both, too many games, too few players.

I don't agree with that, as Pochettino and Adkins were both naming significantly weakened sides in both tournaments while Cortese was here.

No comparison. There was promotion/relegation to battle for. The whole point of our tirade is that we are now in a unique position where league points aren't crucial.

I can accept that as long as everyone else can, for me it was always one or the other but not both, too many games, too few players.

This I agree with, but I also agree that we could have fielded a weaker side against hull. But then innevitably the loss at hull would've caused similar levels of hysteria on here.

Looking back now, the dissapointment has subsided and Im looking at the game without the emotion now. That team had the ability to win really. The defence wasnt massively bothered until we were chasing the game. The goal was a mistake but also needed a top strike to beat us.

Realistically the midfield was v poor as were the attacking players, Lallana being the best of that bunch but still not up to his usual standards. And when you look at it, all of those with the exception of Guly are or have been 1st team starters on many occasions this year.

So there you go.. As you say and I have said before our backup players arent good enough, lambert probably isnt good enough.

So lets see what happens in the Summer as it will tell us all what we need to know Re ambition.

No comparison. There was promotion/relegation to battle for. The whole point of our tirade is that we are now in a unique position where league points aren't crucial.

If we want to be 6th they are and that is a possibility, it was the club's original target for this season in my view.

How many spoke about Top 6, can't remember myself but I think it was enough to consider it might be considered possible.

We need to make up 6 points on Everton and 3 on Utd, doable or not ? Each to his own opinion.

Look, we enter three competitions. One of these we cannot win, the other two are possibilities. Why are we not trying to win the only two competitions we have a remote chance in? Seems a strange way to go about things. We were occupying a safe position in the league with or without the 3 points at Hull. Should have played a weakened team for that game. It's not rocket science.