Still angry after Sunderland?

9-3

You're not the only one. Rarely has a result and the attitude that lead to it left such a bad taste in my mouth. By saying he wasn't interested in the Europa, shows our manager wants success but not thru hard work. Look at the effect that result is sending right thru the club. Today's under 21 Development Squads defeat by Bournemouth 5 -1 speaks volumes.

Still pretty frustrated to be honest, hanging around like a bad smell in my mind! Obviously a win at the weekend will make things look a little nicer, but I still cannot get over what a missed opportunity it was for us. We may never be in as good a position again to attack the cup as we are. Oh well, no point moaning now. What is done is done.

I'm surprised the 'get over it' mob aren't here yet, telling us how coming out of the cup is the best thing for the club. I'm still ****ed off about it, I'm not interested in the build up for the West Ham game. I'll probably go down the pub Saturday afternoon and look at the results only, I won't be following it.

Wasn't angry at the time. Still think the team he put out was easily good enough to win.

Players fault, not Pochetinos.

I think we'll have agree to disagree. A lot.

We'll probably win it next year

Not if MP (assuming he's still here) has the same attitude. That's why I think the fans have to make it clear how pissed off we are. It may make him think twice about a repeat performance (assuming no relegation or CL issues). Certainly the "let's move on, it's the team let us down" mentality won't help in that regard.

To answer the OP's question, yes, and I'm going to be angry for a long time. I'm going to be in a particularly filthy mood on the day one of Hull/Brighton/Sunderland play the semi-final at Wembley, and even more so if they get to the final.

But that won't stop me enjoying the rest of the season, and hoping we'll finish as high as possible.

No, not really. Fairly ambivalent, in fact.

The seasons over. Our results will now peter out. And come the summer there will be a lot of familiar faces heading for the exit.

We've peaked. Will remember that in November we were playing for top spot with a lot of nostalgia, whatever is thrown at us next season..

Not angry still, but part of my enthusiasm has gone. Not just for this season or saints, but wondering what the point is if clubs aren't going to try in cup competitions. The goal is to get to the premier league, to stay in it, and earn money for owners?

This basically. Even if we had finished fourth this year, we still wouldn't have won anything if we ignore the cups.

This basically. Even if we had finished fourth this year, we still wouldn't have won anything if we ignore the cups.

If we were in a genuine race for 4th I would understand it. But it is not so much ignoring the FA Cup that annoyed me, it is ignoring it without a clear view as to why we did. It can't be because of the Europa League issue because if we finish 6th or 7th there is a high chance we're in it via the league.

Yes still angry. I went and busted a gut to get there. I hope that MOPO learns to give his interviews in English soon as what he communicated last Saturday was disrespect for both us fans and the FA Cup. I still feel that a glorious opportunity has been wasted and how many opportunities do you get in a lifetime , watching Saints, to taste some glory?

Does that mean I can appreciate our play this season.Yes of course I can. I purred watching them at Hull and at Fulham which makes the surrender on the Wear even more galling..

If we were in a genuine race for 4th I would understand it. But it is not so much ignoring the FA Cup that annoyed me' date=' it is ignoring it without a clear view as to why we did. It can't be because of the Europa League issue because if we finish 6th or 7th there is a high chance we're in it via the league.[/quote']

I think the club gets about £1 million for each place higher it finishes in the league, so I could imagine MP gets a nice percentage of that as a bonus. If so, that's the only explanation I can think of why he treated the FA cup with such disdain. Logical, but also selfish and a slap in the face for fans.

I've been thinking about those who say the team that played should have been strong enough to beat Sunderland, so it's the players fault not MP's. Perhaps the following analogy may get through to you lot. Imagine you're a prisoner of war in Vietnam, and you are forced to a play a game of Russian roulette. You're given a choice of two guns, one with 3 bullets in 10 chambers, the other with just 1 bullet in 10 chambers.

Would you choose the one with 3 bullets because it has a good chance of not blowing your brains out?

I think the club gets about £1 million for each place higher it finishes in the league, so I could imagine MP gets a nice percentage of that as a bonus. If so, that's the only explanation I can think of why he treated the FA cup with such disdain. Logical, but also selfish and a slap in the face for fans.

Behave. If its just about the money, its far more lucrative to have a good FA cup run (btw it was £700-800K last season for each place). :facepalm:

When you add up prize money, broadcast fees and gate receipts, we would have to finish in the top 2 or so to equal the money associated with winning the cup. See Deloitte's analysis. Somebody solely driven by self-interest would privilege the cup.

Of course, it might not only be about money but also MP's contract which only ties incentives to the league - but that's mongboard conjecture. Let alone the presumptuous implication that MP only cares about lining his own pockets.

Edited by shurlock

Not really

This...

Imagine if JWP, Lallana or Lambert scored. The reaction would be completely different.

The team put put could have won and nearly did.

We dominated and didn't win, it's football...

Hopefully with a stronger squad we can win it next season.

I'm sure most of you would be this angry even of we put our first team out and lost.

If was angry it would be at the insults thrown at MP.

Think some "disrespected" fans are in a parallel universe where we played an unknown side!

The Sunderland fans were fearful when the saw we MP play players we have never heard of.

Few questions...

1) Have the disgruntled fans notice that for a ⅓ of game we had MP's first choice outfield 10 playing?

2) do they realise how many people slated Morgan recently a d how his replacement, JWP, has played in most of our games?

3) do they realise Lallana usually gets subbed even in league of which MP cares about? ;)

4) those not interested in season now, as its fairly likely that future seasons will not have us in relegation battle or champion challenge , and unlikely to be in many cup finals, are you not going to have interest in future seasons?

I would have preferred Morgan and JayRod to start. Although JayRod was not fully fit.

I Don't get the debut sub, maybe it was to insult fans, maybe he couldn't be bothered, or maybe MP saw something a young player could exploit.

I am still angry after the League Cup game let alone this one.

The league cup less so, lets not kid ourselves. That sunderland 11 would flounder in the championship. It smarts more that the next round would not have been vs one of the favourites so as far as I am concerned, we looked a trip at wembley in the face then told it to **** off.

It is a total disrespect to the fans (the ones who went should have been compensated no question!) and has instantly made me lose all love for Poch.

If his heart was in the club he would want to win something for the fans and would certainly give them better than this. I will be very surprised if he resigns. and to be frank, i view him with total apathy at the moment. It will take something of an equal and opposite turn of events to sunderland to swing that back round.

I support the team always, but i am not happy at poch and the clubs attitude...

I thought i had a right rare bet when I got saints 50/1 E/W in both cups this year... How little did I know....

Season is over for us.

And how shocking is this............. The only thing keeping me going is the chance to support england and cheer on some saints in the world cup. After years of supporting the team playng the better football in england matches (or us when we're the underdogs :p) I actually get to cheer england on without headbutting the wall at how boring and negative it is... Saints players will be there to cheer on! :lol:

Wasn't angry at the time. Still think the team he put out was easily good enough to win.

Players fault, not Pochetinos.

This x100. If Lambert puts that sitter under the bar (that was easier than putting it over) we'd have had at least a draw. No way were Sunderland gonna have another one-off screamer into the top corner after that.

Plus AL just before Lambert - could def have hit the target but didn't.

I'm still totally gutted - but angry at MP? No - thought he made the subs at the right time and we created the chances to score. But didn't...

#### Note: ####

If Man City win the League Cup and we have a proper chance of a UEFA Cup place cos of league position - and MP plays a 'strange' team when we need to win - then he's a ****. He ain't a **** cos the Sunderland result though.

####

I am genuinely unconcerned by our Cup exit. To me it is always about staying in the PL and everything else is a bonus. Time to concentrate on a storming finish to the league and building for next year !

A lot of people need to move on, they are in danger of becoming obsessed about a defeat early on in a Cup competition that does not mean that much nowadays.

This x100. If Lambert puts that sitter under the bar (that was easier than putting it over) we'd have had at least a draw. No way were Sunderland gonna have another one-off screamer into the top corner after that.

Plus AL just before Lambert - could def have hit the target but didn't.

I'm still totally gutted - but angry at MP? No

Alright mate. I've known you for quite some time now and a, more, passionate Saints fan I'm yet to meet.

I think that I am in the minority now of fans that were there at Wembley in 76. TBH the best day of my life (apart from my kids). We had a real chance this season (much more so than 2003) for a repeat. With nothing else to play for this season why, oh why, oh why play Guly and the rest? That is what is so frustrating.

I don't think MoPo understands what the FA Cup means to the long term Saints fan but, hopefully, it'll come back into fashion sooner rather than later and we'll go for it.

Still, I'd rather be complaining about being being knocked out of the cup by Sunderland away when we should have gone for it instead of complaining about being relegated to League 1 by Burnley at home (remember that day people :-))

Just wondering.

If we had put out an unchanged full strength squad and still lost, would everyone still be calling the season quits with 12 games to go?

Are we so used to relegation battles and latterly promotions, that we have no idea how to enjoy being mid-table?

What about the individual games? Surely if they don't have an appeal then it's kind of pointless watching football?

We knew we were punching above our weight with a thin squad when we were in the top 4. If we'd have gone out of both cups to a Man City at the first hurdle, what would people be doing for the second half of the season?

This...

Imagine if JWP, Lallana or Lambert scored. The reaction would be completely different.

The team put put could have won and nearly did.

We dominated and didn't win, it's football...

Hopefully with a stronger squad we can win it next season.

I'm sure most of you would be this angry even of we put our first team out and lost.

attachment.php?attachmentid=152573&d=1384520926

Beyond angry really. Unless there is some sort of official acknowledgement by Poch or the club that they misjudged things badly, or an apology to those fans that made the trip, I really don't think i can be aresd anymore this season. And unless the attitude to the FA Cup changes, whats the ****ing point going forward? We're not going to win the Prem are we?

Just wondering.

If we had put out an unchanged full strength squad and still lost, would everyone still be calling the season quits with 12 games to go?

Are we so used to relegation battles and latterly promotions, that we have no idea how to enjoy being mid-table?

What about the individual games? Surely if they don't have an appeal then it's kind of pointless watching football?

We knew we were punching above our weight with a thin squad when we were in the top 4. If we'd have gone out of both cups to a Man City at the first hurdle, what would people be doing for the second half of the season?

If we put out our first XI I would be ****ed off we lost but it would be just another defeat, this is not that just another defeat as we did not want to win at worst and even at best were very complacent and disrespectful.

I am genuinely unconcerned by our Cup exit. To me it is always about staying in the PL and everything else is a bonus. Time to concentrate on a storming finish to the league and building for next year !

A lot of people need to move on, they are in danger of becoming obsessed about a defeat early on in a Cup competition that does not mean that much nowadays.

How is finishing strongly in a League we shall already be in is building for next year? I would have thought a possible victory in the FA Cup would have been far far stronger foundations for next year, the modern fan eh?

Just wondering.

You're touching on the fundemental misunderstanding that has been fuelling the frankly retarded "what's the matter with everyone, it's only a game" merchants on here.

The idea that Saints fans aren't used to losing/disappointment is clealy a joke.

Losing on Saturday was obviously a possibility. However, if we had lost, but had clearly tried not to, the reaction here would be quite different.

There was an opportunity that the manager and the players decided to pi ss away, and no one really knows why.

Like many of us, Luke Shaw is gutted and regretful about it.

And Saints fans can cope with being mid table - there's another fallacy being peddled about that we've hardly ever been mid table in the Prem, when the truth is that apart from two seasons - the Jones Great Escape and our relegation season - we were a mid table club.

Mid table Prem is fine, and everyone is grateful. Its primary purpose should be, to give us a safe platform for a run at the cups. We decided to pi ss that away. Go us.

You're touching on the fundemental misunderstanding that has been fuelling the frankly retarded "what's the matter with everyone, it's only a game" merchants on here.

The idea that Saints fans aren't used to losing/disappointment is clealy a joke.

Losing on Saturday was obviously a possibility. However, if we had lost, but had clearly tried not to, the reaction here would be quite different.

There was an opportunity that the manager and the players decided to pi ss away, and no one really knows why.

And Saints fans can cope with being mid table - there's another fallacy being peddled about that we've hardly ever been mid table in the Prem, when the truth is that apart from two seasons - the Jones Great Escape and our relegation season - we were a mid table club.

Mid table Prem is fine, and everyone is grateful. Its primary purpose should be, to give us a safe platform for a run at the cups. We decided to pi ss that away. Go us.

I hear you, and I was plenty ****ed off myself that we threw away a great opportunity to progress.

I'm just really surprised at the sheer amount of 'I'm done with this season / this manager / saints in general' posts, and am interested in what those posters truly expect to get from a premier league season.

I agree with most of what you said there bar the relegation struggler, the early 90's we were gash but also through rose tinted glasses (still terracing, cheaper prices, 3 o'clock kick offs etc etc) it was far better than now.

So as others have said. What's the point?

We are not trying to win the cup, as prem status is more lucrative in terms of money. So MP is keen to get as high as possible for money, the players the same.

We as fans just follow the team hoping for a win. But for what? A chance to move into 7th in the league? So what? Does it really bother you if Saints finish 7th instead of 8th?! I know I am more bothered by a FA cup loss than I would be at a loss at West Ham on Saturday.

It has dawned on me after this spectacle that all I'm doing every season is paying hundreds of pounds (if not thousands) to help Southampton fc get richer. The players don't care about the club, do they? They just pick up their paychecks for 10s of thousands of pounds every week, and give us a clap at the end of most games for our efforts.

So as others have said. What's the point?

We are not trying to win the cup, as prem status is more lucrative in terms of money. So MP is keen to get as high as possible for money, the players the same.

We as fans just follow the team hoping for a win. But for what? A chance to move into 7th in the league? So what? Does it really bother you if Saints finish 7th instead of 8th?! I know I am more bothered by a FA cup loss than I would be at a loss at West Ham on Saturday.

It has dawned on me after this spectacle that all I'm doing every season is paying hundreds of pounds (if not thousands) to help Southampton fc get richer. The players don't care about the club, do they? They just pick up their paychecks for 10s of thousands of pounds every week, and give us a clap at the end of most games for our efforts.

So it's just dawned on you that you no longer see a point in supporting Southampton or watching football.

That's pretty sad.