Still angry after Sunderland?

9-3

So as others have said. What's the point?

We are not trying to win the cup, as prem status is more lucrative in terms of money. So MP is keen to get as high as possible for money, the players the same.

We as fans just follow the team hoping for a win. But for what? A chance to move into 7th in the league? So what? Does it really bother you if Saints finish 7th instead of 8th?! I know I am more bothered by a FA cup loss than I would be at a loss at West Ham on Saturday.

It has dawned on me after this spectacle that all I'm doing every season is paying hundreds of pounds (if not thousands) to help Southampton fc get richer. The players don't care about the club, do they? They just pick up their paychecks for 10s of thousands of pounds every week, and give us a clap at the end of most games for our efforts.

Often a very patronising clap at that, a slow hands in the air looking sincere clap, the sort of clap that makes you realise the average footballer thinks he is beyond and better than us.

Edited by Barry Sanchez

So it's just dawned on you that you no longer see a point in supporting Southampton or watching football.

That's pretty sad.

Why would you want to spend hundreds of pounds supporting something that doesn't give a flying fck about you?

I'd rather spend the money I spend on Saints taking my wife and 3boys on an extra holiday once a year, it'd probably cost less and be much more rewarding!

Often a very patronising clap at that, a slow hands in the air looking sincere clap, the sort of clap that makes you realise the average footballer think he is beyond and better than us.

To be fair Barry I think if I was a young man, I'd probably think i WAS better than a fan. Why wouldn't you? Multi millionaire, big house, a few cars on the drive, holiday home in Spain, Caribbean holidays, stunning mrs, getting flown on private jets to games that are in the same country?!

Why would you want to spend hundreds of pounds supporting something that doesn't give a flying fck about you?

I'd rather spend the money I spend on Saints taking my wife and 3boys on an extra holiday once a year, it'd probably cost less and be much more rewarding!

What's stopping you? :)

Haha! If only it was that simple. Football is anything but logical. ;)

Boo hoo the fans aren't appreciated enough.

To be fair Barry I think if I was a young man, I'd probably think i WAS better than a fan. Why wouldn't you? Multi millionaire, big house, a few cars on the drive, holiday home in Spain, Caribbean holidays, stunning mrs, getting flown on private jets to games that are in the same country?!

True I have to make do with a fry up in Cleethorpes......................

I´m a bit curious if people on here that are so fuming thinks that Arsene Wenger doesn´t take CL seriously because he played Sanogo instead of Giroud.

Or is it because sometimes manager select players for other reasons than who is usually the best choice...?

I´m a bit curious if people on here that are so fuming thinks that Arsene Wenger doesn´t take CL seriously because he played Sanogo instead of Giroud.

Or is it because sometimes manager select players for other reasons than who is usually the best choice...?

Maybe raise this on the Arsenal forum? You realise Arsenal also lost - so your point is???

Hope you enjoy paying lots of money to be treated like a wànker

First the current crop is a decent bunch and has a good rapport with the fans, many of whom have gone up the leagues with us. So the label of indifferent, overpaid mercenaries is way off the mark.

Second I don't expect anything. I support the club and that will continue long after any player has moved on. I don't need respect or gratitude from a bunch of session musicians. Never have, never will. As the soul of the club, what have I in common with other fans is far more important.

Edited by shurlock

Wenger gets charged with this by his own and other managers.

Feel flat rather than angry TBH.

Not going to watch any more cup games if the club has no intention of competing in any of them. We could be looking a realistic semi final place but sadly the club rejected it out of hand.

However the league is still worth pursuing starting with WHam. The club are going to have to work hard to clear this particular self inflicted hangover.

First the current crop is a decent bunch and has a good rapport with the fans, many of whom have gone up the leagues with us. So the label of indifferent, overpaid mercenaries is way off the mark.

Second I don't expect anything. I support the club and that will continue long after any player has moved on. I don't need respect or gratitude from a bunch of session musicians. Never have, never will. As the soul of the club, what have I in common with other fans is far more important.

Don't mind me, I'm just disillusioned!

But did he do it because he disrespects the tournament and/or the fans?

I dont know you will have to ask him, I think the fans think he lacks ambition to buy and to actually show aggression in the transfer market, when push comes to shove Arsenal are not United (they are falling behind as it stands but will probably catch up), City, Chelsea and Liverpool.

I dont know you will have to ask him, I think the fans think he lacks ambition to buy and to actually show aggression in the transfer market, when push comes to shove Arsenal are not United (they are falling behind as it stands but will probably catch up), City, Chelsea and Liverpool.

But people dont have to ask Pochettino about it, in that case it´s just pure disrespect of tournament/fans?

Seems a bit unfair to treat people that different...

Often a very patronising clap at that, a slow hands in the air looking sincere clap, the sort of clap that makes you realise the average footballer thinks he is beyond and better than us.

Lol, so we're now criticising the players for the way they clap at the end of matches! Bring back Prutton, he knew how to clap with passion!!

There are some truly special people on this forum.

But people dont have to ask Pochettino about it, in that case it´s just pure disrespect of tournament/fans?

Seems a bit unfair to treat people that different...

The Champions League is the highest to many, are you sure he played a weaker side? The Premier League is as weak as I can remember for many a year so was it a weaker side or simply a weak side compared to one of Europes finest if not the best?

The Champions League is the highest to many, are you sure he played a weaker side? The Premier League is as weak as I can remember for many a year so was it a weaker side or simply a weak side compared to one of Europes finest if not the best?

You say Sanogo (with 4 previous games) is a better player than Giroud if both are 100% fit and ready for the game?

Or was he a better choice for the day due to different reasons?

I´m just talking about team selection, not how the teams/leagues compare to each other.

The seasons over. Our results will now peter out. And come the summer there will be a lot of familiar faces heading for the exit.

We've peaked. Will remember that in November we were playing for top spot with a lot of nostalgia, whatever is thrown at us next season..

Really hope you're not right but I have a horrible feeling you are. I think that's probably why I'm still annoyed about it as I can't see a better opportunity coming in a while.

Saying that come Saturday I'll be in the away end at west ham singing my lungs out, even though I know the seasons probably done.

Shame really cause what's been a very good and largely very enjoyable season could've been a great one

Having made a lifelong commitment to support my local club, all I ask for during a match is that the players give 100% in return. They are extremely well paid professionals and I therefore expect them to understand that the fans who pay their hard-earned cash to watch them are entitled to that at least.

I accept that there will players who for one reason or another will make the occasional mistake and that some players have more natural ability than others. However, there really is no excuse for any of them not playing to the best of their ability.

Against Sunderland, it was certainly the case that even though Pochettino had not chosen the most capable players, the ones he did choose did not give that commitment that the fans were entitled to expect.

I worry that if Pochettino somehow does not recognise the importance of a good Cup run and the positive effects it could have on morale and confidence, then it could transpire that the feeling that many of us have, that the season is effectively over could become a reality and that we replicate the closing stages of last season and limp towards the last game like we did then.

In order to undo the damage to the fans' diasappointment at our half-hearted exit, Pochettino will need to produce a storming finish to the season, starting with a comprehensive win against West Ham.

You say Sanogo (with 4 previous games) is a better player than Giroud if both are 100% fit and ready for the game?

Or was he a better choice for the day due to different reasons?

I´m just talking about team selection, not how the teams/leagues compare to each other.

No maybe Giroud has had an argument with Wenger? Maybe he is injured? Probably not as you would not put injured people on the bench would you?

Edited by Barry Sanchez

Having made a lifelong commitment to support my local club, all I ask for during a match is that the players give 100% in return. They are extremely well paid professionals and I therefore expect them to understand that the fans who pay their hard-earned cash to watch them are entitled to that at least.

I accept that there will players who for one reason or another will make the occasional mistake and that some players have more natural ability than others. However, there really is no excuse for any of them not playing to the best of their ability.

Against Sunderland, it was certainly the case that even though Pochettino had not chosen the most capable players, the ones he did choose did not give that commitment that the fans were entitled to expect.

I worry that if Pochettino somehow does not recognise the importance of a good Cup run and the positive effects it could have on morale and confidence, then it could transpire that the feeling that many of us have, that the season is effectively over could become a reality and that we replicate the closing stages of last season and limp towards the last game like we did then.

In order to undo the damage to the fans' diasappointment at our half-hearted exit, Pochettino will need to produce a storming finish to the season, starting with a comprehensive win against West Ham.

post of the day (so far)

Its the best one Wes has ever done, honest and not blinded by a want as opposed to reality, its good to see some of the happier ones not so after this debacle, at least more of us can move in the same direction.

Anyone that is not fuming (Shurlock and Olallana) are not real fans imho. These two never seem to mind when we lose - very odd

Cup run didn't have a positive effect on Birmingham, Wigan, Millwall, Portsmouth etc in recent years.

I'm not angry, just disapointed.

I feel we have enough to win this competition. I can understand the frustration at the team selection but at the same time whats the point in having a squad if you don't use it. It's an insult to the players picked that we dont have faith in them, just the same as it's an insult to the fans when the best team isnt picked. I'm a saints supporter, i'll support the team whoever plays & i'll be just as disapointed as anyone if we lose. Angry... no, it's just a game, far more important things in life to worry about that an away defeat at Sunderland.

I am genuinely unconcerned by our Cup exit. To me it is always about staying in the PL and everything else is a bonus. Time to concentrate on a storming finish to the league and building for next year !

A lot of people need to move on, they are in danger of becoming obsessed about a defeat early on in a Cup competition that does not mean that much nowadays.

Most definitely this.

Really dont get the "Blame the players, not the manager" brigade.

The team were clearly not up for this game, whatever the minutae of the 11 players picked is.

The players that came in didnt feel the desire to stake a claim to a regular starting place, those remaining werent pumped up that they were good enough even with the changes.

Shoddy, poor preparation. Manager didnt give a sh*t about the game. End of.

And I cannot think of a worse "get back on the bike" fixture to follow this up than an away match at WHU with Clattenburg refereeeing.

We are on the cusp of another slump in form.

I think the club gets about £1 million for each place higher it finishes in the league, so I could imagine MP gets a nice percentage of that as a bonus. If so, that's the only explanation I can think of why he treated the FA cup with such disdain. Logical, but also selfish and a slap in the face for fans.

Third Round Proper winners (32) £67,500

Fourth Round Proper winners (16) £90,000

Fifth Round Proper winners (8) £180,000

Sixth Round Proper winners (4) £360,000

Semi-Final winners (2) £900,000

Semi-Final losers (2) £450,000

Final runners-up (1) £900,000

Final winners (1) £1,800,000

Financially, FA Cup doesn't compare to one place gained in PL unless you get to the final. This of course doesn't take into account TV and gate receipts, so maybe a semi-final birth is financially the same as one PL spot. Last season, as mentioned, it was about £750k - not sure what it is this season.

Third Round Proper winners (32) £67,500

Fourth Round Proper winners (16) £90,000

Fifth Round Proper winners (8) £180,000

Sixth Round Proper winners (4) £360,000

Semi-Final winners (2) £900,000

Semi-Final losers (2) £450,000

Final runners-up (1) £900,000

Final winners (1) £1,800,000

Financially, FA Cup doesn't compare to one place gained in PL unless you get to the final. This of course doesn't take into account TV and gate receipts, so maybe a semi-final birth is financially the same as one PL spot. Last season, as mentioned, it was about £750k - not sure what it is this season.

Winning games and trophies is why we entered the League.

Cup run didn't have a positive effect on Birmingham, Wigan, Millwall, Portsmouth etc in recent years.

Ah! All of those clubs being so comparable to us, with their billionaire owners, well respected young and dynamic managers, academy produced starlets, etc.

I can see why you would think they were in a similar position.

I can't really be angry without the facts.

I would be interested to know why MP makes/lets Perez do the pre/post match interviews for all cups games. Either he's just not that interested in cup games, his interpreter is only contracted to do league games, or he sees it as good experience for Perez.

I hope it's not the former, and MP genuinely did want to win as much as Shaw says he did. Because if I was a player i wouldn't be too happy to play for a manager that has no intention of winning a trophy.

The fact that he sat on the bench with his arms folded for 90% of the game suggests to me that it probably is that he's not interested in cup games.

The question you should ask and its the only one with any real validity as it has a definitive answer is by the those fans, the ones I have would not change anything with respect to the Cup wins not by trying to reassure yourself on your own clubs forums.

I have seen enough of the team over the past few seasons to give it the benefit of the doubt - teams have off days and don't click. Commitment is a strong word that has moral connotations. This wasn't the team that went out with a whimper at Hillsborough in 2009.

Edited by shurlock