Team playing so well under Mopo: MYTH

Glasgow_Saint

Mopo apologists wont like this and i expect the usual "troll", "agenda" and "he's ruining the forum" chat.

However ive seen a number of comments recently saying "mopo is the best manager weve had in my lifetime" and "players have improved so much under mopo"

However over the last 18 games his record is very similar (but worse) to Adkins last 18. Adkins was "out of his depth" and "clueless"?

Mopo last 18

W4 D5 L9

Adkins last 18

W5 D7 L6

Mopo apologists wont like this and i expect the usual "troll", "agenda" and "he's ruining the forum" chat.

However ive seen a number of comments recently saying "mopo is the best manager weve had in my lifetime" and "players have improved so much under mopo"

However over the last 18 games his record is very similar (but worse) to Adkins last 18. Adkins was "out of his depth" and "clueless"?

Mopo last 18

W4 D5 L9

Adkins last 18

W5 D7 L6

MP with a "stronger" side as well it could be argued.

I've just posted this on the other MP thread, and seems to fit in with this topic:

..... leagues are littered with managers who once showed great promise, whose to say MP won't be one of them ? For all the hype, his achievements in terms of trophies is nil, and as his detractors on here point out, his win ratio is not spectacular. Wonder if his master, NC, would be getting an itchy finger on the trigger after four wins in 18 ? Is this really well enough into the 'next level' that he desired ?

Some of the football the team plays under Poch is fantastic, there is no doubt about that. There was a spell in the first half yesterday where Liverpool were on the backfoot big time. It happened against Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal at home as well as away to Man Utd, Liverpool and Everton, all top 6 or 7 teams as you know.

The only problem we have is not taking chances, trying to score the perfect goal or just not being ruthless enough in front of goal. Osvaldo was supposed to solve that, it didnt work out. The only difference between us and Liverpool yesterday was the quality of their strikers.

The players have improved under him, wether you like it or not its a fact. But primarily they are a young team so they are still learning and developing. The problem with you and others on this board is you want jam tomorrow and it doesnt happen that way.

Its not a myth they are playing well. Results dont always reflect performance, thats a fact.

Mopo last 18

W4 D5 L9

Adkins last 18

W5 D7 L6

Are you suggesting we sack him?

I'm very tempted to say you are a complete tool Glasgow but obviously you would like that then you can you can accuse me of being a Mopo apologist. However i would point you in the direction of a good optician. The football this Saints side are producing is some of the best i have ever seen a Saints side play and i am well placed to make that judgement having followed the team for over 40 years. Yes we have lost games and yes we have lost games where we have totally outplayed the opposition, but the football has been a pleasure to watch and i have been entertained ever since Poch walked through the doors. Even yesterday we were very good for large parts of the game in particular the first half. We are minus a couple of pieces of the jigsaw puzzle.....we may never get them i accept that, but no one can say that we have not been entertained by a brilliant young Saints side since Poch arrived....and as much as i liked NA he did not have the side playing like this!

I've just posted this on the other MP thread, and seems to fit in with this topic:

..... leagues are littered with managers who once showed great promise, whose to say MP won't be one of them ? For all the hype, his achievements in terms of trophies is nil, and as his detractors on here point out, his win ratio is not spectacular. Wonder if his master, NC, would be getting an itchy finger on the trigger after four wins in 18 ? Is this really well enough into the 'next level' that he desired ?

I think mopo has played it well in the media. His agent has been dropping "rumours" about links to PSG, Spurs, Real Madrid and Inter Milan..... All :lol: lol-049.gif

I think mopo is under big pressure now, im not convinced the decision to stay is fully in his control anymore.

The players have improved under him, wether you like it or not its a fact. But primarily they are a young team so they are still learning and developing. The problem with you and others on this board is you want jam tomorrow and it doesnt happen that way.

Its not a myth they are playing well. Results dont always reflect performance, thats a fact.

I wonder what his bonus is based upon, performances or results ?

Agree young team that is developing. Perhaps some commitment from the manager to continuing that development would give him some leeway.

Oh, and trying to win a trophy that you're supposedly competing for is always appreciated.

Some of the football the team plays under Poch is fantastic, there is no doubt about that. There was a spell in the first half yesterday where Liverpool were on the backfoot big time. It happened against Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal at home as well as away to Man Utd, Liverpool and Everton, all top 6 or 7 teams as you know.

The only problem we have is not taking chances, trying to score the perfect goal or just not being ruthless enough in front of goal. Osvaldo was supposed to solve that, it didnt work out. The only difference between us and Liverpool yesterday was the quality of their strikers.

Totally agree about the strikers. If we had Suarez playing for us we would be flying. I am afraid that JRod and Lambert are just not sharp enough and are the weak link in the team.

It is about time you got a life. You intentionally start these threads to niggle. You go and enjoy Adkins at Reading,although Iam certain you are a Skate and just come on to try and wind us up as a game. How you have avoided being banned is beyond me, but the mods must have a reason

Totally agree about the strikers. If we had Suarez playing for us we would be flying. I am afraid that JRod and Lambert are just not sharp enough and are the weak link in the team.

I do chuckle at the 'if we had Suarez playing for us we'd be doing better' lines that are trotted out. Every team in the world could say the same if they had one of the best strikers in the world playing for them.

Nothing to do with mopos tactics? 2 x England strikers and 1 x Italy internationals and theyve all struggled under mopo.

This goes back further....at Espanyol mopo managed some fantastic strikers, they all struggled for goals under mopo

It is about time you got a life. You intentionally start these threads to niggle. You go and enjoy Adkins at Reading,although Iam certain you are a Skate and just come on to try and wind us up as a game. How you have avoided being banned is beyond me, but the mods must have a reason

Mopo last 18

W4 D5 L9

Adkins last 18

W5 D7 L6

Your thoughts?

I think mopo has played it well in the media. His agent has been dropping "rumours" about links to PSG, Spurs, Real Madrid and Inter Milan..... All :lol: lol-049.gif

I think mopo is under big pressure now, im not convinced the decision to stay is fully in his control anymore.

That seems a lesson (almost) learnt from the chief puppeteer. Only difference is that NC at least did not allow his media chums to run the story that he'd "like" to go to [insert unrealistic club of choice].

PSG ? What b0ll0cks. Filthy rich club run by Arab consortium, "oh, yes this bloke has achieved mid-table finishes in England once, and Spain once...let's give him a go ". Doubt they even realise he once played for them.

As for his control, not sure on that one depending on intentions of KL etc, would they really want to be seen ripping it up to start again ?

Good trolls are adept at staying just below the moderation radar. Starting a thread with "I know I'll be called a troll...but..." is a textbook deflection technique...as is playing the persecution card... ;)

Edited by trousers

Nothing to do with mopos tactics? 2 x England strikers and 1 x Italy internationals and theyve all struggled under mopo.

This goes back further....at Espanyol mopo managed some fantastic strikers, they all struggled for goals under mopo

can't argue the stats. perhaps but does that mean you sack the strikers?.........or sack the manager?.

I rate MP but I think it is perfectly viable to debate how we think he is doing.

I do chuckle at the 'if we had Suarez playing for us we'd be doing better' lines that are trotted out. Every team in the world could say the same if they had one of the best strikers in the world playing for them.

Yes indeed but when comparing the real reason for a difference between two teams to an actual player then I can't see the problem. That was the difference between the teams and is a fact. What's your problem?

They are undoubtedly misfiring. As I've mentioned on other threads, Lambert, J Rod and Lallana seem to be the only players who chip in with goals. How many do Wanyama, Cork, Schneiderlin and JWP have between them? I know they play deeper and break up the play, but we need someone who's actually capable of testing the opposition goalkeeper from outside the box

They are undoubtedly misfiring. As I've mentioned on other threads, Lambert, J Rod and Lallana seem to be the only players who chip in with goals. How many do Wanyama, Cork, Schneiderlin and JWP have between them? I know they play deeper and break up the play, but we need someone who's actually capable of testing the opposition goalkeeper from outside the box

I think mopo would be a success if we had Suarez, Hazard and Bale

I'm very tempted to say you are a complete tool Glasgow but obviously you would like that then you can you can accuse me of being a Mopo apologist. However i would point you in the direction of a good optician. The football this Saints side are producing is some of the best i have ever seen a Saints side play and i am well placed to make that judgement having followed the team for over 40 years. Yes we have lost games and yes we have lost games where we have totally outplayed the opposition, but the football has been a pleasure to watch and i have been entertained ever since Poch walked through the doors. Even yesterday we were very good for large parts of the game in particular the first half. We are minus a couple of pieces of the jigsaw puzzle.....we may never get them i accept that, but no one can say that we have not been entertained by a brilliant young Saints side since Poch arrived....and as much as i liked NA he did not have the side playing like this!

Whats the point in pretty football if it is totally ineffective ?

West Ham made mugs of us with their brand of play.

All fart and no sh*t, we are...

This place is getting a joke, because someone had an opinion which is different to yours they must be a troll!!

Nothing wrong with this thread it is backed up with stats of games why can't people come on and discuss that rather than calling people trolls and ignore the point, surely that is what mods should be looking at people posting in threads with nothing to do with the topic!!!

MP record is not great but I believe this is down to not having that class striker we require. If we did not have the good start to the season we did then I could of seen us signing a striker in jan. However get a good striker in the summer to finish the chances we are creating then the ratio will go up

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

This place is getting a joke, because someone had an opinion which is different to yours they must be a troll!!

Nothing wrong with this thread it is backed up with stats of games why can't people come on and discuss that rather than calling people trolls and ignore the point, surely that is what mods should be looking at people posting in threads with nothing to do with the topic!!!

The way the forum is now im afriad. Some posters never offer an opinion just shout and scream about posters ruining the forum and talking about the forum good ol days.

This with 40+ years

Great, another thread with Glasgow saying the same things he says in countless others. Our league position suggests he is doing a pretty good job - most sensible supporters would have been very happy with 9th - a big improvement after flirting with relegation last season.

Joint 6th highest goal scorers and good to watch.

I find myself somewhere between the 'rose spectacle' brigade and the 'doom and gloom' merchants, We are (virtually) safe, although I take nothing for granted, which in itself is an achievement. However, we have a lot of work to do and I am sure that that Pocchettino is aware of this. If he is staying, and I hope he is, then we should be building for next season.

Again, our first objective will be to secure another year in the Premier League and push for a top 10 position if we get a good start.

Ninth in the league, next.

WTF does this post mean ?

We are ninth, we should all STFU complaining even considering how we were doing earlier, and be grateful for 9th, and our cup surrenders are totall unimportant ? What supreme arrogance.

Sorry, many of us want to aim higher. Especially after the amount of money spent.

The way the forum is now im afriad. Some posters never offer an opinion just shout and scream about posters ruining the forum and talking about the forum good ol days.

It seems to be getting like this. Sometimes it takes an outrageous or controversial statement to get a debate going. Some of the so called 'troll hunters' are in danger of reducing the landscape to a barren desert lacking any interest or colour.

We are ninth, we should all STFU complaining even considering how we were doing earlier, and be grateful for 9th, and our cup surrenders are totall unimportant ? What supreme arrogance.

Sorry, many of us want to aim higher. Especially after the amount of money spent.

I think we have to be patient Alpine. We are in our second year of PL after sinking quite low. To me the close season will signal our intent or not !

Glasgow has made a valid point in the thread. Where are the stats to suggest MPs record is any good? I'm getting tired of the 'we're playing well, just not scoring'. If we did that for a season we'd be relegated

Post 25 plus the league table.

I don't think it's 'not scoring'. It's more that we don't convert a high enough percentage of the numerous chances we create.

That would be an interesting stat.

This is what I think too. Don't have any stats but I attend the matches.

Pochettino was the manager when we were doing better earlier in the season. You've got to take the bad with the good. The cups were aggravating and there are things that could and should have been done better, but on the whole inflammatory threads like this are better suited for clubs in the bottom half. I want to aim higher as well, but I know we're capable of getting there. Hasn't gone all our way this season, ho-hum.

Far more constructive to talk about what could be improved.