interesting article in the Guardian, starts with Bobby Stokes & 76

PaulSaint

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/08/how-football-lost-touch-young-fans

"New Economics Foundation reported that 1976 was the happiest year in Britain since the second world war"

Thanks for a link. An interesting and thought provoking read. The Germans ahead of the game in preserving football culture and continuity with past while we've gone down the entertainment route like the US and lost our young fans and football's traditions and it's links to community. We're destroying something valuable which I was fortunate enough to experience in the 70's and 80's. All is not lost. Aside from the football culture arguments , there is fortunately a compelling business case for safe standing so there's a chance the money men might go for it.

He's wrong about one thing though "The magic of that goal was that it ever crept in at all: a diagonal shank from 20 yards that ambled past Alex Stepney in the Man Utd goal ". Crept in? You're joking aren't you.

He's wrong about one thing though "The magic of that goal was that it ever crept in at all: a diagonal shank from 20 yards that ambled past Alex Stepney in the Man Utd goal ". Crept in? You're joking aren't you.

At least he didn't mention the fact* it was offside.

*not a fact - if it had been offside, it wouldn't have been a goal, would it?

My Dad never took me to football, I found Saints for myself being my home city made it easier obviously, but going to Football for real was down to older school mates saying why don't you come with us on Saturday. That was it I was hooked. I could get from North Hampshire to Southampton into the Dell, a programme, sweets galore, and still have money in my pocket from my paper round money and the odd Saturday & Sunday helping the milkman.

Despite having 2 girls and a Wife who will switch on Football on Sky before looking at anything else, we took them to Football from a young age and whilst the anodyne surroundings do St Mary's was not the same as going to the Dell for me they both took to watching the Saints through thick and thin like ducks to water, they had different friends that they would meet in Junior Saints corner, and now if Uni and work will allow they will jump at the chance to come to games (if Dads paying) but thankfully Saints don't turn Kids into adults at 16 yes they jack the price up but not to the full adult fare, but going back to my Paper round money getting me to football and leaving me enough for fags sweets and other stuff for the week, my Youngest working the same hours as my paper round could easily buy a match ticket but all the other demands and distractions involving money outside football these day would make it a very considered purchase for her.

NFL mentioned support is without any doubt the way Football in this country is going, which is a shame.