Ralph Krueger - Chairman

david in sweden

Simon Peach@SimonPeach 50s

Krueger told me finishing training ground was "priority one" & looking at expanding/improving St Mary's second behind that.

:p :D

We don't need the stadium expanded. Attendances against Villa, Sunderland, Swansea, West Ham, Fulham, West Brom prove this. I suspect Newcastle/Norwich/Cardiff/Everton will be around the 28,000 mark as well.

The AFL designed plans are about far more than just expanded capacity...

southamptontraining3dre.jpg

In times of FFP, things like hotels, apartments, shops, conferencing/banqueting facilities all increase revenue to then be used on the team.

We don't need the stadium expanded. Attendances against Villa, Sunderland, Swansea, West Ham, Fulham, West Brom prove this. I suspect Newcastle/Norwich/Cardiff/Everton will be around the 28,000 mark as well.

I read it as the TG is the priority, rather than the ground is a second priority after that. I'm sure the ground is fairly low on the list.

Interesting he talked about "living within our means".

Well certainly seems more media savvy than Cortese.

The way Cortese was able to have a number of Football journalists eating out of the palm of his hand by the time he left and the way those same journalists tore into KL and tried to sell a story of a club in with a clueless owner looking for a quick way out after he quit suggests he was more media savvy than people think.

"Coy when asked about keeping players".

End of the day, everyone knows Shaw will leave this summer. Plus it would not suprise most fans is CL clubs came in for Lovren, Schneiderlin and Lallana, so for sure at least one will go this summer.

He cannot promise what he cannot achieve.

#saintsfc will have to 'work within our means' and 'may have to pay a price for that.'
Surely simply a case of if an offer too big to turn down or a player's demands are too much then they will go - which is pretty standard in football... plus then there's a the finance rules that are coming in...

Surely simply a case of if an offer too big to turn down or a player's demands are too much then they will go - which is pretty standard in football... plus then there's a the finance rules that are coming in...

So to spend more cash to you need to earn more, hence the commerical growth talk...

He didn't. He said it was secondary behind the training ground. Not that it is his second overall priority for the club as a whole.

Still in his mind of things to do and hasn't dismissed it. Even if expanded to 40k, its not just about those extra seats, a lot more to it than that which would increase revenue streams. Yes, we wouldn't sell out every game, but it increasing revenue and the profile of the club.

Still in his mind of things to do and hasn't dismissed it. Even if expanded to 40k, its not just about those extra seats, a lot more to it than that which would increase revenue streams. Yes, we wouldn't sell out every game, but it increasing revenue and the profile of the club.

Hopefully it happens if its right. But there are many higher priorities for him now.

Try to spin it anyway you like, it ain't happening anytime soon.

Adam BlackmoreBBC Radio Solent sports editor:

Krueger was impressive, both warm and authoritative. He wisely distanced himself from the football side of the club, steering clear of any Clive Woodward [former Southampton performance director] comparisons.

Like a well-versed politician he said a lot whilst not giving too much away, but after years of boardroom silence, and months of uncertainty over the club's future ownership, Saints fans will just be delighted he has said the club is not for sale.

It is obvious that he feels the club can grow commercially, especially in North America, and his appointment makes sense on that level alone. Katharina Liebherr promised a more open and communicative club, and today was a good start.

It sounds like we've really stepped up in terms of communication and presentation, but I'm cynical how much money the club can really make in North America. I can't work out from his background how he'd have too much knowledge of commercial improvements and expansion or how he's part of the World Economic Forum, apart from his knowledge of leadership etc, but he needs more than just that for this role. Edited by Sour Mash

Definitely doesn't sound like we're up for sale. It raises a few other questions; why continue owning us? As an expensive hobby/challenge? Do they feel they can make more money out of the club long-term?

Because her dad wanted it?

I've watched all interviews and my reading of the situation is that he is being fair with us. A recurring theme is the need to grow as a club in terms of commercial revenue and be sustainable. My personal opinion is that commercial growth will be vital for us to be able to maintain our existing squad and spend. Without it we can't. As a consequence he can't say nobody is leaving as unless we fill the holes in the finances then players will have to leave. Even if we do players may leave, but we need to be in a situation where the contracts we give out and the transfer fees we pay no longer come from the Bank of Liebherr. They need to come from the clubs own coffers, which is fair enough.

I suspect we will grow commercially, but there may be one or two players who leave along the way. However, regardless of what happens, it looks like (right now, anyway) that there is a sincere desire to be more open as a club and engaging with the fanbase - and unfortunately a part of that will be telling us things we may not want to hear from time to time but it'll be for the better in the long term I suspect.

Edited by Lallana's Left Peg

I'll reserve judgement until we see what he can do, for the time being i'm concerned by the shear amount of management waffle and guff he talks whilst not actually saying much of anything.

Say what you want, Cortese came in and said bold ambitious things, and then he delivered them.

Yes, but it was pretty easy for NC to spout all of his 'ambitions' as he was delivering on them with someone else's money - whether that was ML's or KL's inheritance.

That level of funding wasn't going to be sustained forever, especially with financial fair play coming in (which of course NC objected to).

I'm sure given that RK's and KL's close relationship, and that KL is now taking a much closer interest in the club, there will naturally be more accountability on spending. But hopefully RK will realise some of the commercial potential he has alluded to, and that will see less reliance on raking in big transfer money for academy graduates.

Shaw may well be sold this summer, but if he brings in c. £30m then that covers the investment being made in the training ground. That investment in turn might bring through another 6-8 players of similar calibre over the next 5 years, so maybe that is what he is talking about in terms of 'living within our means.' Perhaps again, he is simply referring to growing the commercial side of things.

I'd like to hear a bit more detail of KL and RK's plans of course, but pretty sure that NC didn't come out and say those sort of things on day one of the job.

We are selling our better players when offers come in. That's basically what he has said today. "Live within our means". Shame because I think the minute one or two go, the momentum we've had the last few years goes out the window.

Yes, but it was pretty easy for NC to spout all of his 'ambitions' as he was delivering on them with someone else's money - whether that was ML's or KL's inheritance.

That level of funding wasn't going to be sustained forever, especially with financial fair play coming in (which of course NC objected to).

I'm sure given that RK's and KL's close relationship, and that KL is now taking a much closer interest in the club, there will naturally be more accountability on spending. But hopefully RK will realise some of the commercial potential he has alluded to, and that will see less reliance on raking in big transfer money for academy graduates.

Shaw may well be sold this summer, but if he brings in c. £30m then that covers the investment being made in the training ground. That investment in turn might bring through another 6-8 players of similar calibre over the next 5 years, so maybe that is what he is talking about in terms of 'living within our means.' Perhaps again, he is simply referring to growing the commercial side of things.

I'd like to hear a bit more detail of KL and RK's plans of course, but pretty sure that NC didn't come out and say those sort of things on day one of the job.

We've been producing quality players through our academy with what we have for a number of years. I very much doubt that we will get a return of 6-8 players of Shaw's calibre over 5 years.

We are selling our better players when offers come in. That's basically what he has said today. "Live within our means". Shame because I think the minute one or two go, the momentum we've had the last few years goes out the window.

Name me a club that doesn't! Man Utd sold Ronaldo, Spurs sold Bale. What makes us so special that we are immune to it?? I guarantee you if either Shaw or Adam goes, it will be because they want to. One thing's for sure - we won't get shafted by anybody on the fee front.

Dear god in heaven. I'm starting to wonder whether the club should offer trauma counselling to Saintsweb mopes every time they make an announcement.

We've been producing quality players through our academy with what we have for a number of years. I very much doubt that we will get a return of 6-8 players of Shaw's calibre over 5 years.

Purely arbitrary number I was using there - should have known that would have been picked up on.

Given the amount of debutants we have had this year, it's not too outlandish though. Not producing players 'exactly' the same standard as Shaw, but certainly PL top 6 class.

Cortese mentioned about bringing 2 players through for the first team, and 2 through for the football league every year, a la Bayern and Barca.

24ac149b4cb1513b055864e8846def47_bigger.jpegSimon Peach@SimonPeach

Newly-appointed #SaintsFC chairman Ralph Krueger says owner Katharina Liebherr has "zero" intention of selling the club

fCD43mdg_bigger.jpegAdam Blackmore@bigadamsport

New #saintsfc chairman Ralph Krueger says owner Katharina Liebherr has no intention of selling the club & "is here to grow the club".

Krueger dismissed talk Liebherr looking for a quick sell, saying #SaintsFC "has become a very important priority for her. She cares."

Krueger recently turned down five opportunities to return to the NHL & is confident of turning #SaintsFC into a "healthy sports model"

He believes #SaintsFC have "unlimited potential" & keen to make home-grown focus key marketing point. Coy when asked about keeping players.

Krueger suggested the #NFL's "sentimental favourites" Green Bay Packers was the kind of unique marketing position #SaintsFC could fill

I thought Green Bay Packers were owned by the Fans

I'll reserve judgement until we see what he can do, for the time being i'm concerned by the shear amount of management waffle and guff he talks whilst not actually saying much of anything.

My main concern is the lack of objective and ambition they are showing, and he is in fact talking down success on the football pitch in favour of better communication with the fans. Ask arsenal how much they like not winning things...

Say what you want, Cortese came in and said bold ambitious things, and then he delivered them.

"5 year plan to return to the premier league"

Long term goal to become and established premier league team (done in 5 years :lol:) and push for europe in next 5...

Youth academy

50% of team from academy etc etc

The fact that this guy can't give any indication of objectives is concerning, its not hard to just restate the existing ones ala academy and 50% of fist team... but he didn't do that. Worries me. Gone from balls and drive of steel Cortese to what exactly.

He's been chairman for six hours, get a grip

Having watched the interview with our new chairman, I reflected upon the introduction of his counterpart at 'Potless Pompey' (tieless, lounging backwards behind a crumpled tablecloth whilst boasting that he got his manager on the cheap!) and thought how nice it was to be a Saints fan !

An impressive start and I look forward with anticipation of an interesting future !

COYS :)

The AFL designed plans are about far more than just expanded capacity...

southamptontraining3dre.jpg

In times of FFP, things like hotels, apartments, shops, conferencing/banqueting facilities all increase revenue to then be used on the team.

Where's the Chapel Arms FFS!

He will accept it if the "football gods" have plans for players going rather than staying (in ref to Shaw).

See ya Luke & Co.

I would let Shaw go for £30m FACT! can get some decent players in for that - Shaw just doesn't seem to do it really, on and off the boil, he had a great game against the gunners, but that's all I can remember this season which stands out....

Only thing I dislike is his enthusiasm for prem games being played abroad like nfl.

That'll be why we didn't push for the Europa Lge then, there's more money and profile to be had in 2 or 3 mid-week friendly jaunts to the winter sun than toiling around Europe's far-flung lesser spots on a Thursday night. Possibly.

I would let Shaw go for £30m FACT! can get some decent players in for that - Shaw just doesn't seem to do it really, on and off the boil, he had a great game against the gunners, but that's all I can remember this season which stands out....

Don't ask for much, do you? Bloody hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many 18 year olds play to their best (or are even at their best at all) week in week out?

Crikey, people don't half expect a lot of the lad.